Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

You probably should watch the trailer where they make fun of all that then

Which is the last trailer on the list, "An Introduction by Sir Hammerlock and TORGUE". The Last Hope trailer is probably the best of the lot though.

It's also the only trailer with decent music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Doodles posted:

One thing you missed, CJacobs, was that a good chunk of Gaige's skill tree had My Little Pony references. On the other hand, this means you're definitely not one of the show's fans so :bravo:

Silly pop culture references aren't memes though. If for some reason they suddenly count as memes, I guess that's why so many people would be annoyed by "all the memes". :shrug:

They've already shown some self-awareness (Moon Dance trailer is completely stupid, Lost Hope trailer ends with "yeah we're not dancing") so maybe there's hope??

Solumin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 21, 2014

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The developers admitted that the whole O2 thing is just a way to manage how often you can gravity butt slam. It's not supposed to be a "make sure you have enough oxygen or you will die!!!!" survival mechanic. Which is cool, I think. It just adds a little more depth to fights (another DoT to worry about, doing butt slams, etc.) without becoming The Most Important Thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
One of my biggest problems with pistols in BL2 was that they were like 50% of the guns. Open a nice chest? NOPE, FULL OF PISTOLS. Some of them were fun (Anarchists! Grog Nozzle!) but there's such a thing as too many.

Also, yeah, I want mashers. I loved them BL1, and having only the Maggie in BL2 was a huge disappointment.

As for everything else you said... sorry, I guess? Borderlands never struck me as a sniping kind of game. It's hard to have chaotic-fun-number-explosions when you're on the other side of the battle field. There hasn't been a truly good sniping tree since Mordecai in BL1, but in that game snipers sucked. (Below 97% Accuracy? Don't bother using it!) Don't get your hopes up, I guess. Hopefully you can find something else that works for you.

Claptrap is like the big fragmenter among Borderlands fans. The joke is pretty much that everyone hates him, but I think they're going to focus more on the "I was programmed for optimism and happiness, despite the fact that my life is pretty much poo poo!" angle. He can be really annoying, but a lot of that for me was things like the slog that was the opening of BL2.
I completely disagree that his skills trees are poo poo though. Literally every skill in the middle tree is either some bonus for Claptrap or a bonus for Claptrap and his friends. There aren't even any that are "Gain more numbers if you have more friends," which would be annoying. The only one that's the suspect is "Best Buds 4 Life," since the only way you'll get out of FFYL is by killing. Oh wait, look at all those other skills that help you in FFYL! How dandy.
The left tree is pretty much just about dumping as many bullets downrange as you can and also explosions. The right tree is the one that I'm a little leery of; the subroutines could be really cool or just disappointing or annoying.

(No worries, a little negativity is good for reminding us that getting too hyped will just lead to disappointment.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think a lot of us who have played BL1 and BL2 a number of times don't remember that the game takes some getting used to. If you don't know what's going on, the game isn't easy -- but that's true of pretty much everything.

That said, you shouldn't need a gimmick to get through Normal.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Then don't get it? :toot: (or at least wait until a Steam sale)

It wasn't really outsourced, but it was made by 2K Australia and Gearbox, instead of the main 2K studio.

Go watch the Last Hope and the Hammerlock/Torgue trailers again. They're the best ones so far.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I honestly don't remember the final boss fight of BL1. I know I did it, but...yeah. I've heard it said that BL1 had an hour of plot: the first half-hour of the game and the last half-hour of the game. Honestly, that seems pretty accurate.
On the other hand, I remember fighting General Knoxx at the end of his DLC. I loved that campaign :allears:

The point where Jack became the real villain, instead of just some guy who taunts you over the ECHOnet, has to be the Bloodwing fight. Before that it's all "Oh Jack, you sure are evil! :v: How are those pretzels?" But then it becomes personal.
I guess it doesn't have the same impact if you didn't play BL1.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Re: Jack becoming an "overnight trillionaire". Hyperion licensed E-Tech technology to the other gun manufacturers, except for I guess Torgue and Jakobs? I would imagine that sort of deal would be worth a lot of money.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

8one6 posted:

Borderlands: The Fall of Dahl - Parallel campaign dealing with the fallout and people trying to survive the conflict. Vault hunters: Zed, Marcus, Moxxi, Helena Pierce.

:stare: that would be pretty awesome.

Though honestly I can only see Moxxi and Helena Pierce being actual Vault Hunters.
Maybe we could get Zed's twin-brother-with-a-mustache Ned in there instead? :v:

AirRaid posted:

Not enough variety in your choice of vault hunters there. Also, Knoxx would be wasted as a player character, he needs as much dialogue as possible. He'd be better as your chief contact/questgiver.

Not to mention that Knoxx wasn't even on the planet at the time. (I think?)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I definitely had that impression when they first started showing it, but it seems to me that they've fleshed it out a lot more. It's hard to tell though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You might be thinking of shield recharge delay? For Roid shields, you want as long a delay as possible, but green arrows show up for shorter delays instead. Which is perfectly fine, because doing it any other way would be pretty confusing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Does anyone know a way to use gibbed's editor to unmark a weapon as a quest item? I want to complete all the quests in playthrough 2 on Athena, but I don't want to lose my vibra-pulse. If I turn in the quest the weapon vanishes, is there any way around that other than not turning in that quest?

Can you copy the weapon code and give yourself a second copy of it? Or will it still be marked as a mission item then and you'll just have 2 of them?

LackinPants! posted:

Ran into an odd problem. When reloading a save everything my character had equipped on their person disappeared along with all my cash/moonstones. I'm on Steam, so I assume I've lost everything due to cloud save synching, but does anyone know how to revert to a previous state or a restoration method?

Someone might have more experience with messing with Steam saves to get your stuff back. I suggest adding the weapons you want back with Gibbed.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Chinaman7000 posted:

Enjoying the new class mechanics, but not the game's polish. Quests have dumb ways of glitching and guns feel and sound awful and weak.

Is it because of how the guns sound in vacuum? There's a huge difference when firing e.g. a Vladof AR in vacuum as opposed to in atmosphere.

widespread posted:

So from what I understand, both BL2 and The PreSequel are definite buys when they get on sale. Aside from that, save my money. Got it.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I'm really enjoying the rebalancing so far. Assault Rifles are really useful, especially if you're playing Nisha. Spinigun + Showdown = So many bullets. And I've been able to use old guns for a while, easily 5+ levels, with no problem.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Is it confirmed that the only Mashers are the Loyalty Bonus one and possibly Maggie? I was really looking forward to using them again :(

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Athena's elemental tree is amazing :allears: She absolutely wrecks bosses, at least on NG. Pop Aspis, fire away with whatever shock weapon you have, throw the shield for the Zeus storm and watch the stacks build up.

It's less good for short, "bursty" fights where you only fight a couple enemies at a time though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Or, you know, Gibbed. :shrug:

(I haven't found the Excalibastard yet, but I'm basically playing the game blind for this first run.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Backhand posted:

Because I have very weird morals regarding cheating in video games and am not willing to just straight up mod my profiles... are there any particularly good ways to earn badass ranks? I know doing drat near anything will gradually level them up, but I'd like to know if there's anything particularly simple or obvious I might be missing.

Play multiple characters. Badass Rank is account-wide, but specific challenges aren't. Plus you get to have playing all the different Vault Hunters!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You can also just sell the guns. They're great if you want to do vendor farming but don't have a lot of cash.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

cams posted:

What is the time difference between Borderlands, The Pre Sequel, and Borderlands 2?

I think it's just a couple years at most. There's an official Borderlands timeline, but I don't know how specific it gets with dates.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
His quests are pretty annoying, but other than that he's not bad.

wdarkk posted:

Pickle is great, if only for the "That is the ten-year old boy we hired to help us." line.

Absolutely agree, that line is an example of the great moments in this game. Jack's delivery is perfect.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Pitchford just tweeted codes that redeem 20 Golden Keys :stare:

BL:TPS 20 GK:
PSN: C55BT-S95HR-FZT5J-H3K3J-5H5TW
Steam: C55BT-S95HK-HTT3J-B3J3J-5H5CR
Xbox Live: C55BT-S95CJ-CXX3R-C6J3J-5H5J3

Pitchford said that if some Kickstarter game was funded, he'd release a 20-key shift code for BL2 and TPS.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

mycot posted:

What was the game?

Nevermind, a "biofeedback horror game"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reynoldsphobia/nevermind-biofeedback-horror-game

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Sloober posted:

Is there a way to drop quests? I bugged out one of the sidequests by killing the target before it registered as a goal, leaving it unable to be completed. (Boomer for the beacon quest janey sends you on)

You can usually use Gibbed to edit what quests you have, but I don't know if that will completely reset Boomer or not.

Tezzeract posted:

I had a tough time against quite a few of the bosses since I was always a 2-3 levels underleveled for the first playthrough. Deadlift (lmao lazerballs of doom), Felicity (so tanky), Zarpedon (one shot Novas) and RK5 (UGH NUKES) wrecked my poo poo a bunch.

I did figure out the platforming pretty fast though :shrug:

Zarpedon's novas are really strong, but you can jump over them pretty easily, especially since she telegraphs the attack so much.

I think one of the big problems is that some boss health bars are red (indicating flesh) when they should be yellow (indicating armor), so you end up using the wrong element.

lets burn posted:

I'm hoping to ruin this game for others.

No baby knows how to destroy the happiness of others.

I hope to take the rattle out of baby's hands.

You're making me enjoy it more :allears: Please, keep telling me how you have never been so offended and hurt by a game in your life.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

My biggest problem with the game so far in my very limited time with it is that I hate Athena and Nisha's action skills and I would rather hammer nails into my junk than play Claptrap. You're my last hope Wilhelm :ohdear:

Why don't you like Athena's action skill? The invincibility has saved my life a couple times (it stops DoTs!) and it becomes amazing when you get skills that add more effects to it. (honest question!)

Nisha's action skill is really hit or miss though, I'll agree with that. It's really designed for up-close-and-personal fights, or for sniping unsuspecting enemies.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AirRaid posted:

But the whole point of the skill is that you can't miss! :v:

:thejoke:

It's also hilarious if you have a spinigun, especially a Vladof. (or Scav? Do they even make spiniguns?) Sure, you'll have no ammo by the end of it, but you'll have destroyed everything around you.

I really wish the Bitch was in this game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RubberBands Hurt posted:

I'm having the same issue. I love the combat/movement changes and new classes, am annoyed by the complete lack of interface/map improvements, and am heavily dissapointed by how much of a slog the quest content is.

Almost EVERY drat QUEST is "run across this multi-level, fairly under populated map 3+ times." Spent most of last weekend with two friends playing local co-op (3 xboxes/tvs) and had an unreasonably tedious time of trying to just find a place we could run around and shoot for reasonable XP. And if we tried to just do the quests, the enemies soon out-levelled us until all the fights were a soul-draining series of corpse runs against bags of hit points.

I do like the low level enemies more then BL1 and 2's, they're more interesting to fight, in addition to the combat itself being more varied. I just... want to not have the game feel like work.

Triton Flats, right outside of Concordia, stays leveled with you. I think it's the same scale as Concordia, so it depends on how far you are in the main story. But the enemies and vendors scale up as you progress.

Admittedly, it's fairly spread out, but there are a bunch of fun areas to fight in.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That's usually what I do. I think there's a big chest or two in the area, which is nice.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Shock has always been the best element :colbert:

Fire is still pretty good, since you still get the damage increase against flesh.
I don't know if Athena's Maelstrom stacks increase the elemental bullet damage though. I have a feeling they don't...
But with such high Elemental Effect Chance, you're going to have shock DoTs all over the place.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Do some of the other side quests?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
And it hit your shields first. Just don't go jumping off any really tall buildings.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Reiley posted:

Is it possible to use one of the save editors to mark the last quest of TVHM as finished before you start TVHM so you could hypothetically play all the other missions at level 50, like some big 2.5 playthrough? I finished the story the first time but this game was so disappointing I kinda want to break my save file and try something more fun for the second playthrough. Is that Save Guid value your current quest progress? I remember the BL2 save editor being able to do something more specific with quests.

GUID = Global Unique Identifier, literally just a way to make sure all of the saves are unique.

My gut feeling is that you can mark all of the quests as complete. I'm not entirely sure how to do it, but you should be able to look at any competed quests for clues. I'd suggest playing normally until you get the OZ Kit, etc. from Springs, just to be safe. You'd probably also need to mark every story quest as complete.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Are any of the characters notably shittier than the other classes (e.g. Zer0 in BL2)? Picked this up when it came out but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Probably not going to play every class so I want to make sure I don't pick a bad one to start with.

Well, you seem to think that Zer0 was bad, so I have no idea what you consider lovely.

Claptrap has been getting a lot of flack, but I think that's because he's Claptrap. Part of it is that he has skills that are more useful in co-op than solo, and his entire right tree is really hard to use to the point of uselessness.

Personally, I've found all of the characters to be solid and interesting.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Counterpoint: Nisha with a Vladof non-elemental spinigun :getin:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

These skill trees keep getting wordier with every game, what character do I play when I want an uncomplicated shoot bullets at mans type character? I tend to gravitate to a build of battle rifles(vladof snipers basically) and a short range bullet hose as backup if that helps.

Athena is pretty good for this, if you take her rightmost tree. She has a bunch of skills that increase fire rate, plus another that can make your guns not consume ammo. But those skills work best if you only use shock and fire gear. Her action skill is cool. I'm really enjoying it after several hundred hours of melee Zer0 in BL2.

But Nisha is probably better for what you want. They both make great bullet hoses.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
So did everyone forget how bad the Slaughterdome DLC from BL2 was or what? Or Moxxi's Underdome from BL1? The Holodome is in the same tradition, really: A series of repetitive monster fights with less-than-stellar rewards that hardly adds anything to the base game. The only worthwhile thing that the Slaughterdome DLC added was an easy way to farm Doctor's Orders in UVHM.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dyz posted:

Cryo is definitely better than slag and I feel like the character trees in this game are more fun and synergize very well.

I miss some of the e-gun rocket launchers though.

My favorite part of this game is the characters. Ceraunic Storm Athena clicks in ways that none of the BL2 characters ever did. The skill trees feel way more cohesive, in that most skills support the same purpose. (For example, no skill that restores shields in the middle of a melee tree...) I'm actually filling out almost every single skill per tree, instead of putting in the bare minimum so I can grab the useful skills in another tree.

Then again, I'm not forced to be min-maxing my skills like BL2's UVHM did.

Cryo is neat, but I've hardly used it. Partly it's because I'm mainly playing Ceraunic Storm Athena, so I just need shock and incendiary. And also my co-op partner is playing Cryo Terminator Wilhelm, so he handles all of the freezing stuff.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

jneer posted:

Claptrap's ability makes my four person group sigh every time he chooses the non-stop shooting option, which is like 50% of the time. I can feel our willingness to play the game decrease whenever he does it.

It wouldn't bother me too much if it didn't interfere with resing your teammates when they're down.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Doodles posted:

Are they Vladof launchers? Since BL2, they've had an intentional hidden feature that they consume less ammo. This was exploitable in BL2 via weapon merging to apply it to other guns for infinite ammo, but that has been fixed with TPS. It's why I prefer to carry Vladofs, as it gives me a better chance to beat FFYL.

Very well hidden feature, indeed.

That said, yeah, this game has a lot more bugs than BL2. Some of them can be circumvented. For example, re-freezing yourself has a good chance of fixing the perma-freeze bug. But enemies clipping through walls is terrible, it happens on literally every map.

Loot falling through the floor has a been a problem since the very first Borderlands game, and they STILL haven't managed to fix it. At least you can trade things to your friends instead of having to drop it and hope they can pick it up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You can probably use Gibbed to convert your save over to the other console's format. I'm not sure if that's actually helpful, since I'm on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

You can't edit saves on the next gen consoles yet but converting one from 360 to ps3 or vice versa should do it.

That's what I meant, I should have elaborated.

Updated graphics are meaningless if you play Krieg. Who cares about shinies when your entire screen is fire and blood and numbers? :black101:

• Locked thread