Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
The light at the end of the tunnel is that the big campaign DLC sits around 5G in size. That is huge - the Tiny Tina DLC was around 1.7G.

If we get something ~3 times the size of the Tina DLC, with something close to the quality of that campaign, then the Pre-Sequel stops drowning. If it's that size because they're idiots and didn't compress audio, then it goes under for the last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game's very fun and it will stay very fun even if the DLC sucks imo. I bought the season pass and I do SORT of regret it because I didn't realize the non-campaign DLC would be an arena thing, but either way it's in the past now and I made the cost up in like 2 hours of work so oh well, I'm trying to remain optimistic that it won't suck. v:shobon:v

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 1, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

FactsAreUseless posted:

What was wrong with the DLC? Were the new characters not good?
Not-Jack is fine, but there are few bugs that allow him to do things like 'Fire your gun forever without expending ammo and also you shoot faster the longer you do it.'

The Holodome, on the otherhand, pissed off a lot of hangers-on. It had a total of two and a half new enemies (a new eridian that uses the enraged Goliath AI from 2, the Felicity armor you didn't fight in TPS, and a resize of a miniboss from eariler in the TPS.) and 6 new guns. Everything else - the environments, enemies, music, ect. - are carbon copied from the Eleseer map, the second to last map in the campaign. It also has (had?) a bizzare scaling bug that drastically that drastically reduced the number of enemies per wave in single player, which was made worse by how big the arena was. Dunno if they ever fixed that last thing.

AirRaid posted:

TPS is going to end up smaller, but I don't think they've really tried to say otherwise ever so i dunno what people are acting all surprised and butthurt about.

They billed it as being bigger than BL1, and made plenty of other promises in the 'Gearbox Cares' trailers they released before launch. Really, it's not just that it's smaller, but that it's unprecedented in how aggressively they're cutting corners every chance they get. That, and Pitchford being Pitchford on twitter when called on it. That last part just seems to be par for the course anymore, though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
So did everyone forget how bad the Slaughterdome DLC from BL2 was or what? Or Moxxi's Underdome from BL1? The Holodome is in the same tradition, really: A series of repetitive monster fights with less-than-stellar rewards that hardly adds anything to the base game. The only worthwhile thing that the Slaughterdome DLC added was an easy way to farm Doctor's Orders in UVHM.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The slaughterdome was also just a pre-order bonus they released as DLC later, not one of the few DLCs offered as part of a season pass.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, Moxxi's Underdome had about ten thousand times more effort put into it than this Holodome nonsense, which is really saying something. The Holodome DLC is just...pathetic, really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Solumin posted:

So did everyone forget how bad the Slaughterdome DLC from BL2 was or what? Or Moxxi's Underdome from BL1? The Holodome is in the same tradition, really: A series of repetitive monster fights with less-than-stellar rewards that hardly adds anything to the base game. The only worthwhile thing that the Slaughterdome DLC added was an easy way to farm Doctor's Orders in UVHM.

Moxxi's Underdome's problem was that there was not enough reward for the effort you had to go to (meaning, literally no reward except for 1 skill point, not even EXP) so they have at least improved since then.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Moxxi's Underdome's problem was that there was not enough reward for the effort you had to go to (meaning, literally no reward except for 1 skill point, not even EXP) so they have at least improved since then.
The biggest problem I had with Moxxi's Underdome was having to invest 2 consecutive hours to play through 20+ rounds. I really wished there was an option to take a break after ten rounds.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Is it worth getting at $29.99 during the Steam sale? Loved the first two but I don't want to sully their memory :(

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nostratic posted:

Is it worth getting at $29.99 during the Steam sale? Loved the first two but I don't want to sully their memory :(
I liked BL2 a lot but I couldn't get into BLPS at all. It started out boring (like someone wrote earlier, way too much running around/backtracking for quests, way too little fun shooting) and very quickly robbed me of the desire to find out whether it ever gets less boring.

Personally I'd un-purchase if it I could, or maybe spend ten bucks on it at the very most.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Nostratic posted:

$20 to $30 is about the right price. It's got a ton of great changes for the better over 2, it just lacks direction and motivation once you complete TVHM.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I think 30 dollars is fair if you're not a games scrooge, I don't think waiting for the GOTY is very worthwhile for this game compared to BL2, for instance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So do the christmas based enemies, like... do anything? I know Un-deadlift dropped that unique shotgun in the halloween event, is there anything like that here? Google is giving me crap for answers.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

CJacobs posted:

So do the christmas based enemies, like... do anything? I know Un-deadlift dropped that unique shotgun in the halloween event, is there anything like that here? Google is giving me crap for answers.

The boss Kraggon by Janey Spring's place drops a unique assault rifle, but that's all that I can tell that's different.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Nope, they're just there. Oldjyg-something is the only thing that drops something unique, Ol' Painful and the Avalanche.

There's spoken dialogue for a X-Mas Merc Day themed series of missions in the SHIFT Robot's dialogue files, but they 86'd it like they did with the Halloween Bloody Harvest missions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks guys, all I could find from googling the name of the event were crappy YouTube nerds who talked about the event's existence, but not what you can get from it :sax:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Idk why you guys are upset about the DLC when it's exactly the same as the main game:

A giant map with less than a dozen enemies.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I think if they released a DLC which basically allowed using the new characters in BL2 (with some small tree corrections for no butt-slamming, or implementing low gravity on Pandora) would be great. Or maybe the 5gb DLC will provide enough content. I like the new characters and the mechanics, but it just doesn't have the same longevity as BL2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Skandranon posted:

I think if they released a DLC which basically allowed using the new characters in BL2 (with some small tree corrections for no butt-slamming, or implementing low gravity on Pandora) would be great. Or maybe the 5gb DLC will provide enough content. I like the new characters and the mechanics, but it just doesn't have the same longevity as BL2.

Given how this was originally planned as an expansion but they then changed it to a separate release, I highly doubt that would ever happen, as cool as it would be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dyz posted:

Idk why you guys are upset about the DLC when it's exactly the same as the main game:

A giant map with less than a dozen enemies.

This is a complaint I don't really get. Serenity's Waste was pretty empty but mostly because there are no human enemies, just kraggons, but after that there's basically nothing I would qualify as empty except for the bigass final area with the name I can't remember.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I would say it is a $20-$25 game as is

Pros:

New characters really do feel different.

I like a lot of the humor and added dialogue in tvhm

Jumping and buttstomping are fun

Cons:

Feels like they settled on a dlc sized number of maps. Then tried to jam as many back and forth missions on those maps

Good scaling. But if you want to skip boring back and forth in second playthrough can end up under powered fast.

Aliens dont talk and aren't as fun

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It really does seem that they've made the loot even stingier than it was in BL2 as well, partway through playthrough #1. Most weapon crates are all whites and greens. I nearly fell off my chair when a blue popped up; the only time I have seen purple 'in the wild' was grenade mods. The Grinder sort of mitigates this but it means going back to Concordia and still no guarantees.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

evenworse username posted:

It really does seem that they've made the loot even stingier than it was in BL2 as well, partway through playthrough #1. Most weapon crates are all whites and greens. I nearly fell off my chair when a blue popped up; the only time I have seen purple 'in the wild' was grenade mods. The Grinder sort of mitigates this but it means going back to Concordia and still no guarantees.

It's weird because in the month after release everyone was saying drop rates were better. And they do seem to be for me, although still low enough to feel like using a script to increase them. (It's in the thread somewhere)

(right here)

AirRaid posted:

OK so I futzed with the Loot table that AHungryRobot Linked and decided it was too complicated and annoying, so I took the salient points from that one and threw them into the old loot table file for BL2.

Result: TPS Loot table file with a lot easier access and the "Sensible" preset I made for BL2 alreaady loaded. :siren:Grab it here.:siren: This also has the dumb CE 6.2 check removed so you can use the newer versions with no hassle.

Credit to whoever made the original, I forget.

You can just run that file direct, once TPS is loaded. Click the Item/Rarity checkbox then the presets one and choose a preset, or modify the numbers manually. I'm not sure if the "Drops" section at the bottom works any more, might be broken.

Four clicks to better loot drops.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Thanks, but alas I am playing on a console.

I do enjoy the game for the most part, although there must have been a better way to set things up than crisscrossing Triton Flats over and over.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think Pre-Sequel is a fine game at $30 or lower. (I got it with my new graphics card.) It's mostly just More Borderlands: Now With Double-Jumps, so if you're expecting a radical change from the formula, it isn't that. A lot of the mechanics are actually improved but it also takes a step back in some ways (mainly the actual fight setups). It also maintains having a stone-stupid story with ridiculous plot holes, but that's nothing new for the series. Overall I think it's enjoyable, though you can skip the DLC unless you want to play Doppleganger Jack. Granted, I'm less upset about the DLC because I only paid $12 and change, if I had paid more I would certainly be bothered.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

CJacobs posted:

This is a complaint I don't really get. Serenity's Waste was pretty empty but mostly because there are no human enemies, just kraggons, but after that there's basically nothing I would qualify as empty except for the bigass final area with the name I can't remember.

Compared to the first one, I would say so. You usually only fight a handful of enemies at a time, in waves. The backtracking means empty areas are very common, lending to the emptiness of the maps.

I would say the loot is better, but only a little. The grinder and the improved vending machines are what make purples/blues/legendaries more available in this game than in BL2.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks, but alas I am playing on a console.

I do enjoy the game for the most part, although there must have been a better way to set things up than crisscrossing Triton Flats over and over.

What platform? I need a UVHM buddy on 360 :D

Also I definitely feel like a minority, but I really enjoyed TPS. There's definitely way less variety than 2, but I still had fun with it. I like cryo over slag, and the characters seem more fun overall. But then I liked Tiny Tina so my opinions are kind of bad :saddowns:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Chasiubao posted:

What platform? I need a UVHM buddy on 360 :D

Also I definitely feel like a minority, but I really enjoyed TPS. There's definitely way less variety than 2, but I still had fun with it. I like cryo over slag, and the characters seem more fun overall. But then I liked Tiny Tina so my opinions are kind of bad :saddowns:

I am in your boat. I enjoyed TPS enough to justify it as my video game purchase for that month. I hope they capitalize on that Lilith arc in Borderworlds or whatever and turn her full-on antagonist, though, because drat.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
My problem with UVHM is that it does not feel appreciably different, or even harder, than TVHM. I have Excalibastard and Fridgia, so every single fight boils down 'freeze them, then smack them.' Ultimate Badasses aren't any harder, they just take a little bit longer.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Cryo is definitely better than slag and I feel like the character trees in this game are more fun and synergize very well.

I miss some of the e-gun rocket launchers though.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Backhand posted:

My problem with UVHM is that it does not feel appreciably different, or even harder, than TVHM. I have Excalibastard and Fridgia, so every single fight boils down 'freeze them, then smack them.' Ultimate Badasses aren't any harder, they just take a little bit longer.

Maybe try using guns that aren't game breakingly good? Try using guns that don't have red-text on them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dyz posted:

Cryo is definitely better than slag and I feel like the character trees in this game are more fun and synergize very well.

I miss some of the e-gun rocket launchers though.

My favorite part of this game is the characters. Ceraunic Storm Athena clicks in ways that none of the BL2 characters ever did. The skill trees feel way more cohesive, in that most skills support the same purpose. (For example, no skill that restores shields in the middle of a melee tree...) I'm actually filling out almost every single skill per tree, instead of putting in the bare minimum so I can grab the useful skills in another tree.

Then again, I'm not forced to be min-maxing my skills like BL2's UVHM did.

Cryo is neat, but I've hardly used it. Partly it's because I'm mainly playing Ceraunic Storm Athena, so I just need shock and incendiary. And also my co-op partner is playing Cryo Terminator Wilhelm, so he handles all of the freezing stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think Pre-Sequel is a fine game at $30 or lower. (I got it with my new graphics card.) It's mostly just More Borderlands: Now With Double-Jumps, so if you're expecting a radical change from the formula, it isn't that. A lot of the mechanics are actually improved but it also takes a step back in some ways (mainly the actual fight setups). It also maintains having a stone-stupid story with ridiculous plot holes, but that's nothing new for the series. Overall I think it's enjoyable, though you can skip the DLC unless you want to play Doppleganger Jack. Granted, I'm less upset about the DLC because I only paid $12 and change, if I had paid more I would certainly be bothered.

The new fight mechanics are great, the writing is actually even better than BL2, and I really enjoyed BL2 (the memes were barely there, god dammit), but I really can't recommend it because the level design in this is absolute, total loving garbage. You get sent there and back again over and over and over, and the waypoints don't display until the questgiver is done talking. That sounds minor, but they talk, and talk, and talk, and it's gonna take you three or four minutes to get there as it is, so let me see where I have to go and just put it on over the radio.

Also I want a DLC where I just murder pickle about a hundred times, mostly because of how poo poo that 3 hour AI core mission is.

AirRaid posted:

I think that's beyond "possibility" now. BL2 was huge, and then the DLC added more hugeness. Not necessarily all great hugeness but lots of content.

TPS is going to end up smaller, but I don't think they've really tried to say otherwise ever so i dunno what people are acting all surprised and butthurt about.

Mostly because TPS has smaller maps that you just run back and forth across to make the game as long as BL2. I don't get to play games as much as I used to, so I hate a game that just wastes my time to make the experience longer even though I'm doing jack poo poo. Also it costs 60 bucks, which is as much as BL2, which had a fuckload more content.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 2, 2015

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The big problem with TPS for me is the smaller enemy group sizes. Couple that with the big maps and the ludicrous amount of backtracking you have to do and it just makes the game feel a little empty and barren. I ended up giving up before I could finish the campaign and went back to Borderlands 2, which is simply just more fun.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The new fight mechanics are great, the writing is actually even better than BL2, and I really enjoyed BL2 (the memes were barely there, god dammit), but I really can't recommend it because the level design in this is absolute, total loving garbage. You get sent there and back again over and over and over, and the waypoints don't display until the questgiver is done talking. That sounds minor, but they talk, and talk, and talk, and it's gonna take you three or four minutes to get there as it is, so let me see where I have to go and just put it on over the radio.

This is another problem I have, the dialogue and unskippable cutscenes. There's a lot of parts in this game where you have to hit a button or talk to someone 2-3 times in a row, but you have to sit and listen to dialogue for 2 minutes between each press, which drags the game out horribly. There's one quest where the dude literally rambles so much that you could complete the quest before he finished talking if they actually let you do the objectives.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Claptrap's ability makes my four person group sigh every time he chooses the non-stop shooting option, which is like 50% of the time. I can feel our willingness to play the game decrease whenever he does it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

jneer posted:

Claptrap's ability makes my four person group sigh every time he chooses the non-stop shooting option, which is like 50% of the time. I can feel our willingness to play the game decrease whenever he does it.

That one does seem to come up pretty often, it would be better if it was only claptrap who did it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

jneer posted:

It wouldn't bother me too much if it didn't interfere with resing your teammates when they're down.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Moxxi's Vibra-Pulse is a delightful weapon mostly because the lightning arcs bug out sometimes and stay around forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Claptrap's rubber ducky is pretty funny.

• Locked thread