Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Solumin posted:

Silly pop culture references aren't memes though. If for some reason they suddenly count as memes, I guess that's why so many people would be annoyed by "all the memes". :shrug:

They've already shown some self-awareness (Moon Dance trailer is completely stupid, Lost Hope trailer ends with "yeah we're not dancing") so maybe there's hope??

Uhm… there's a skill called come at me bro… that's a meme, right?

I really don't mind memes if they're kept as challenge names and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Colgrim posted:

Sign me up! My only problem is the 360 or Steam version. I either read or heard in an interview that it will be not quite as long as BL2 but longer than BL1. Has anybody else come across this?

Yes. That's what they're saying. About the size of BL1.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

pun pundit posted:

Yes. I pointed out, though, that in the videos they also show Oz tanks (as in the equippable item) that generate atmosphere bubbles whenever you buttslam. Entering an atmosphere bubble fully recharges your Oz, so that kind of Oz tank lets you buttslam indefinitely - thus making it Super Mario FPS in Space edition.

Oz kits that regenerate your oxygen seems op until you realize that the Oz kits replace the relics of BL2 and there are probably many more way more useful effects they can have. It's like the Tediore legendaries of the first game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Professor Oak posted:

YAY another borderlands where we can run around dying for ten straight hours trying anything plausible but make it through the entire game in 45 minutes if we exploit a gimmick!

Have you tried getting good and not being a scrub?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Remulak posted:

I dunno I'm just not feeling it for this game. Which is odd, because Borderlands (both versions) is pretty much the only non-Rocksmith game I've sunk a lot of time into over the last few years. This just feels like a half-assed retred.

Is this made by the same company or was it outsourced? Nothing wrong with outsourcing, there's been some great DLC from third parties (Tiny Tina!) but I'm just getting no vibe from this.

It's a collaboration between Gearbox and 2K Australia and Tiny Tina was the DLC which wasn't outsourced.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I liked the "end reveal" of Borderlands 1. Finding out that Angel was lying to you the whole time in order to save the world was cool even if the fight with the alien itself was a little disappointingly easy. I mean it probably would've been better if there was SOME kind of loot explosion at the end instead of the corpse just pooping out some mediocre stuff when it went back into the vault, but I was totally fine with there being no magical vault full of endless godlike loot because that would defeat the entire point of the game (kill things, get guns).

The great thing about Angel in BL1 is that she never mentions the contents of the vault. She just helps you get to it. I really hate all the things that Burch retconned but I'm one of the few people who cared about the story and lore of the first game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly was retconned from Borderlands 1 to Borderlands 2? If anything, I'm seeing more retcons for the Pre-Sequel than anything. Most of the stuff in the trailers seems to suggest that the Pre Sequel takes place when Jack was just a lowly tech scrub working for Hyperion. But Borderlands 2 already explained that Jack became the leader of Hyperion immediately after the Vault opened, because he started harvesting the Eridium and murdered the rest of the staff board. And then there's The Man Who Would be Jack quest, which detailed events even before BL1 when Jack and Angel were plotting the original Vault Hunter's expedition.

So how is Jack just a technician in the Pre Sequel if it takes place after BL1 when he took control of Hyperion?

The main thing that was retconned, though I'm not sure if that's the proper word for this, is that Angel was working for Jack during the events of the first game and everything you did was just helping him get rich. I dunno, I really liked Angel in the first game but the second game changed a lot of a character that doesn't seem that much like a character. BL2 also retconned the fact that the bandits were a convict workforce, mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.

I just sperged about Borderlands lore... :suicide:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

In the Minecart Madness quest, I think, Tannis talks about how the bandits and psychos are scientists and familly men or something. It was a while ago I played it but I remember they contradicting the convict thing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Some of them are, presumably; Tannis's colleagues or those from other colonization attempts. The majority are the work-force convicts, but not all are convicts.

All of Tannis' colleagues died... :confused:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Nighthand posted:

I would enjoy a Borderlands 3 where there are several parallel campaigns you can work through seeking vaults on different planets. Different vault hunters are running different operations for different vaults, all with Brick at the head directing them (because he called dibs). Give you some openness as to which parts of which planets you explore at a given time, maybe tie it together with an ubervault you need keys from other vaults for, or something.

A bordroidvania if you will.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like we'll be alright. I keep hearing that TPS is going to be using a linear progression model (versus Borderlands 2's insane exponential one) that should keep the insane sponginess down. Plus, between BL1 and BL2, I've never really felt like I was obligated to fight any "raid" boss if I didn't want to, so the track record there is promising.
No, it's still using an exponential curve, it's just way toned down.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did they ever say why the level scaling in BL2 was changed to exponential instead of BL1's linear progression? All the exponential leveling does is gently caress you over if you decide to overlevel on DLCs in an early playthrough.

Because weapons ended up lasting for up to 20 levels and not finding any better weapons for such a long time gets boring in a loot-based game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

At their PAX panel Gearbox said that they convinced 2K to let the season pass include everything but they have said many things in the past.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Moxxie weapons confirmed. Well poo poo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

It might turn out better under 2K Australia and not normal Gearbox. Who knows?

EDIT: Preloading is up for those who bought on Steam. Still waiting on my GMG key.

Are you able to preload if you buy it on gmg or do you get the code when the game launches?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Well, I got the code and started pre-loading. Now it's just to wait until Friday…

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tippity-top-tier: Nisha, Claptrap

Looks-really-cool-tier: Athena

Not-that-interesting-wait-sprint-and-shoot-okay-I'm-sold-tier: Wilhelm

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Does the game activate at midnight the day releases or is it at a certain time?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

ArchRanger posted:

According to Steam it unlocks in sixteen hours. Since Steam always rounds up it'll be Midnight EST. Worst case I'd guess One AM.

Oh, there was a timer on the store page. Well, thanks anyway!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

So if you order through GreenManGaming how do you get the pre order DLC for the shock drop orbital pitt or whatever it's called? Redeemed the game on steam and it's preloading now for friday but I didn't get any code for the DLC.

Yep!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

So I'm guessing that Deadlift is the new Sledge.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Damo posted:

Can't decide who to pick, Athena or Nisha.

Argh. Someone tell me who to play as.

Claptrap.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

I'm an idiot who overall enjoys the story of the Borderlands games and likes characters like Claptrap and Handsome Jack.

same

watho
Aug 2, 2013

"Nothing is more badass than treating a woman with respect! :torgue:"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Solartide posted:

I could just be making up memories, but wasn't the reload originally part of the Torgue traits? I recall reading that it was added to the Tediore line instead because just having fast reloads was underwhelming for a gun company.

Nah, it was always supposed to be Tediore. Since they are really cheap that it's easier to just throw it away instead of reloading it. Also there's the whole meta joke that people always tossed Tediore guns in the first game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

That effect only seems good if you can oneshot people through the shield, otherwise they'll take the same amount of bullets, just in a different order if you get what I mean.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Has anyone said "the pre-squeakwel" yet?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

So the Acks give stacks and flakks?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

And a bonus for multiple Ack Ack users, so you get bonuses for stacks and flaks while shooting rakks when you do it in packs! :suicide:

Seems like it was worth the backtracks.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I've found one legendary and I'm pretty sure that it was a random drop. Running a boomtrap specced fragtrap using a sapper COM and a Bomber Oz kit.

Found a Bonus Package. :torgue: :getin:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Racist Hotdog confirmed for DLC character when?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Rokstar posted:

Edit: I also have a theory that railguns have bootleg b0re properties since they pierce, because every once in a REALLLY great while a shot against something big like RK5 or the final boss will do far more damage than usual.

If it has overlapping hitboxes then you could probably hit multiple with a single railgun shot and that woould do [damage] * [amount of hitboxes hit].

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The RK5 fight is the most BL2 boss in the game. Most of the other ones were actually good and fun.

I also really welcome the return of guardians even though that omega whatever dude was a bit of a pain in the rear end. We were underleveled though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Are all the grinder recipes just different gear of the same rarity? Excluding the legendaries of course.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The main story line is pretty butts but the basketball side quests were amazing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

All it takes is one click. Save editing: Not even once.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

New-Us should never be acknowledged in-universe and never even be remotely close to being considered canon. There's no way you can integrate them in the story in a good way that doesn't break everything and every theory about how they could be explained always seems really bad and contrived. :colbert:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Dyz posted:

Lilith, Maya, Angel, the Atlas woman from BL1 are 4.

I think Jack says something about knowing 3-4 of the 6 sirens in BL2.

Commendant Steele is never confirmed to be a siren and she's dead anyway so it doesn't matter.

From last page.

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of things that happened before the sequel existed, it will always bother me that now instead of Angel lying to the vault hunters about the vault in BL1 to save the universe (revealed at the end of BL1), she lied about the vault so that Jack could come into power (revealed in the middle of BL2).

They retconned the only reason I liked the ending of Borderlands 1! :negative:
I agree fully except for one thing. Angel never lied about the vault. She never says that it's full of treasure or anything like that. She doesn't even mention what it contains or what it is, just how to open it and that it can only be opened once every 300(?) years. She also implies that she has a longer lifetime than that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Torguemada is amazing. :colbert:

Just because the initial shots miss doesn't mean that the clusters won't completely murder everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oh, cool. I always considered her one but didn't know it was canon.

• Locked thread