Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Apollo posted:

I'm totaling up my expenses and getting a summary together if anybody wants to read it.

(hint: the cost of the hangar outweighs any other expense)

I am supremely interested in this as a Cherokee 180 is on my shortlist. Our club has two Cessna 172P's, and while I like it, I would like something with a bit more usable load. Leaning towards a Cherokee 180, Archer II, Cessna 182, or maybe...juuuuuuuuust maybe a Mooney M20J as a very outside possibility. I would either have to find an outstanding, once in a lifetime deal otherwise the M20J would likely deplete my flying fund for a good while.

The goal is to buy a plane and have 10K sitting in the bank. The average M20J just about kills goal.

Tide fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rickety Cricket posted:

Don't say the M word around Apollo

Hah.

Someone here owns a Mooney. I was thinking it was Apollo, but thats not right.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Apollo posted:

I have officially owned my Cherokee 180 for one year.

I have flown her 86 exceedingly trouble free hours since purchase.

Highest Airport: KSKX - Taos Municipal Aiport (NM)

I'm totaling up my expenses and getting a summary together if anybody wants to read it.

(hint: the cost of the hangar outweighs any other expense)

:justpost:

EvilJoven posted:

OK so trip report.

Nice job.

I solo'd at 23.5 hrs. Maybe could have done it sooner had I not had so many month or two breaks and switching instructors. I developed a case of landitis with my second instructor that took a couple hours to break. I had the mindset that if everything wasn't absolutely perfect, my instinct was go around. I had to get it in my head that it was never going to be perfect and good enough to get on the ground without damage to the airplane or compromising the safety of the passengers or other aircraft was in fact, good enough. I was over correcting everything was trying to be too smooth/perfect.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure about that. It took me about a six to eight months to log those 23.5 hours.

It SUCKED.

Started near the end of summer (lol like it ever cools down here anyway) just in time for the rain season. Then awesome here comes Thanksgiving and Christmas and oh awesome more freaking rain. Then whoops I think I may owe the IRS a decent chunk of change this year better put all 'frivolous' spending on hold for two months because I think I'm going to get rawdogged by Uncle Sam while at the same time the wife has hinted several times that she wants the family to go to Colorado this year since we skipped last two years and it would be awesome to go with our friends this year and BLAMMO there goes my our fun money account.

Then awesome uncle Sam yells full throttle "GOING IN RAW!!!" without the courtesy of a reacharound then HOLY CRAP WE'RE BUYING ANOTHER HOUSE.

What I'm saying is that every time I blinked I was getting hit for a bunch of money and weather delays. Also the month that the plane I was training on went down for annual.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And of course it's Tom Hanks.

Don't get me wrong, all things considered he's a fine person and actor, but really?

So basically it's going to be Flight but without the booze, cocaine, hookers, and John Goodman?

Tide fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 30, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone soloed further than that their first time :v:

Heh.

I have a recording of my solo.

Holy poo poo did I speak loving fast on the radio. I was always very good on radios, never a worry. But good grief I was all 'downtowngroundskyhawk1234Katthewestrampwithinfomationechofordepaturestudentsolothreetimesaroundthepattern' all in one gasp of air.

The response I got was extremely slooooooow and I swear he was laughing. 'Skyhawk 1234K...clear to tax to ..runway 14..taxi hotel to alpha 2..Take it easy and have a great flight'. I kinda knew the guy as I hung around the airport and tower quite a bit just taking it all in from their point of view. Probably contributed to me being extra cool on the radios 99 percent of the time. But when I cock it up, I can cock it up.

After I announced I was clear the runway, someone keyed their mic and said "Nice job 1234K"

One of the best feelings in the world.

And holy moly did that 172 climb without an extra 200 lbs in it. Pretty sure the stall horn honked at me on rotation.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, they did find that it might have been physically possible for an A320 to make "the impossible turn" but it could only be done in the simulator by a pilot that knew ahead of time when the engine would fail.

Also airbus test pilots are show offs.

I was wondering if the pilots in the sim knew in advance what they were testing rather than doing a blind test to some random guys that happened to be using a sim that day.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Flying on the Gulf Coast is...interesting.

The last half of spring to first half of summer is nothing but rain and fog. For about 4-5 months out of the year, the temps are 90F plus. With matching humidity. So it's like flying in sauna. It gets 'cold' for maaaaybe 2-3 weeks out of the year. Cold being you need to put on a light jacket. During Christmas, I was wearing shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt.

For 2015, we had one hundred and fifteen days of rain, totaling nearly 70 inches of rainfall.

We get maybe 4 months out of the year that the weather is nice, but still have to fight the threat of rain, thunderstorms, or honest to goodness monsoons.

You have to really stay on top of the weather as it can turn south in a hurry.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah. I think they get their first 20-30 hrs at whatever flight school is at Bay Minette airport. Which has an all female flight line staff. Not too terrible on the eyes either.

I've met a few of the Navy guys at my home airport (KBFM). Mostly very cool guys. I've spent many an hour watching those guys do pattern work and T&Gs in...T-34s?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh man, had a flight in a c172p today (my school uses m and n usually.*).so.....why was it an actual piece of poo poo? Like terrible.

*Desi, what model were the rentals from vic if you remember?

I learned and still fly in C172P Skyhawks.

One is kind of like flying a mid 80s Buick four door. Which is to say its a bit of a slug. The other isn't bad, a little more sporty. Interior sucks though. The headliner droops on your head and all markings on the instrument panel are pretty much worn off. Not sure if you flipped the beacon? FLIP ALL THE SWITCHES.

My frame of reference is kind of limited, though, with a handful of hours in Piper Cherokee 180's / Warriors, C150's, and C162's each. Enough to get the initial log book endorsements but no recurrent flying/training since.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wowzer :flashfap:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nice!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pop a provigil and fist slam Highway to the Danger Zone into the tape deck

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

two_beer_bishes posted:

Xposting from the AI thread:

Not sure if anyone here has been following the Bugatti 100p project that's been going on for a while. It crashed today, killing the pilot.

That's terrible news :(

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

Problem was they were using 20 that day.

Odd question ... Who is 'they'? Tower?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Do a quick rehearse of what you want to say. And when you make the call, talk slow. If you blaze thru it, they will likely think you are more experienced than you really are.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e.pilot posted:

e: also get a tour of your local TRACON or tower, I've found meeting controllers in person and seeing behind the curtains of ATC really helps my students for some reason

You have NO idea how much this helps.

I didn't struggle with radios in terms of being nervous or anything. If anything, I was a bit too confident with it and spoke WAY too fast - because that's what cool, experienced pilots did. I knew what I was supposed to say and how to say with lots of chair practice, atclive listening sessions and rehearsel BEFORE saying it, but that led to an unexpected problem:

The controller heard this cool, fast talking pilot in their headset and went lightspeed with their instructions, which led me to lots of :aaaaa: moments of not knowing what they said. Especially during flight when I was low hours and tunnel visioned on simply flying the plane.

I have been told I have a fairly distinctive voice in terms of pitch (pretty deep - lots of years of Marlboro Reds and bourbon), accent, and cadence. The ATC guys recognized my voice the minute I met them and they were fairly surprised how few hours I had. But being to able to meet with the local ATC and listen in and ask questions, and this helped more than anything.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

xaarman posted:

Wait, do you think he actually had any say in the name of the movie?

Those rights were signed away a long time ago. The execs chose it because Sully is a household name, Cactus 1549 would make people think it's a Westerner movie.

Yeah. And Miracle On The Hudson sounds like a romcom Christmas movie.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My second and then primary instructor* insisted on making power off accuracy 180 landings the 'norm' as a cure for my landitis for me wanting everything to be perfect during the landing evolution. To this day, I still prefer/favor it as a normal landing

*Ex Navy guy that tended to fly the plans pretty hard

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Congrats!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

"azflyboy" posted:

since Garmin has a pretty handy 430W simulator available for free online, and their GNS430W pilots guide (available as a free PDF) does a pretty good job walking you through almost everything you'll need to know how to do with the unit.

:aaaaa:

That would have made my flight training so. much. easier.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Congrats!!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even think they allow you to take chantix even if you're using it to quit smoking

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nuggan posted:

So I'm coming up on my 5th lesson later this week, and theres something I realize I should probably get...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of sunglasses for flying? The old nice ones I have are all scratched up these days, and the cheap plastic ones I have just fall off my face when I look around.

I am in love with my Rayban RB3445's (non polarized). I do swap out to my Costa Tortugas (polarized) on a long cruise though

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have never had any inclination to go digital in my log book. It's purely a nostalgia thing.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Dude just use foreflight

It's awesome and worth every penny

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
FAA approved BasicMed today. Effective May 01, 2017.

tl;dr:
Up to 6 seats, up to 6,000 lbs. no limits on HP, number of engines or gear type
Day or night, vfr or ifr
Up to 5 passengers
must take free online course every two years and visit physician every 4 years
up to 18,000 feet msl
250 knots indicated airspeed limitation
cannot operate for compensation or hire

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nuggan posted:

As my test for my PPL is fast approaching, I've started nitpicking all my procedures and such.
Anyone have tips for crosswind landings? I find myself trying to move the ailerons back and forth a whole bunch as the wind gusts me around, sort of averaging out the motion of the plane to try to keep it steady. When my instructor does it, he just pushes the yolk way far out to the side and really kicks in the rudder hard. His way is a lot smoother than mine, but I cant seem to find the sweet spot where it evens out.

Carry a little more speed, 2/3 flaps, and a little more power. Ailerons for the wind correction and opposite rudder to keep in straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I developed a good case of landitis with my first instructor. Could not get comfortable with it. Was trying to be too perfect. So I started working with another instructor, ex military guy. Old crusty Navy guy.

First lesson up, we head out to a small untowered airport for some touch and goes. We get abeam the numbers, he says "Cut the power, don't touch the power until we are on the ground to taxi."

Me: :stare:

Every time I reached for the power he'd loudly say scold me like you would a dog trying to get food off your plate. So, I landed - more than a bit chunky - but on the ground. He tells me "you just landed a plane in a state you've never had to deal with or trained for. You landed an airplane in just about the most difficult conditions you could have - no power, bit of a gusting crosswind. What's the problem?"

Took off, performed a dozen more power off 180s and called it a day. I solod the next week.

Don't know why, but from that point forward, I loved the power off 180 and made it my standard landing configuration for a good while.

• Locked thread