Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Second instrument lesson tomorrow! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Aviation Megathread: getting paid in flight hours

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

getting paid(??) in flight hours.

You should really pay them for the privilege of letting you fly for them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tide posted:

Weather permitting, I should have my solo x/c this weekend! Could not be anymore exited

That flight was more exciting and memorable for me than my first solo, enjoy it!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

It was probably me because I have strong feelings and recall debating that. I don't recall a PDF though, I dunno. PS: They're all interrelated but for primary training I teach pitch for your aiming point and power for your airspeed while on approach.

That's really the easiest and fastest way to learn to land safely imo.

It's like the blanket statement that the prop lever controls rpm and throttle controls power, it's not really that black and white.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dupersaurus posted:

Question from a would-be pilot that's been bugging me. I know that there's air speed and ground speed, and ground speed is air speed plus any air mass movement; but does rotation of the planet factor in any, or are we still in the reference frame of the planet and rotating with it?

Not in any meaningful amount, the airmass is rotating with the planet.

It be pretty wild if it were though, you could hover in a helicopter to travel west and eastbound travel for anything but the concord would be nigh impossible.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Successfully avoided having a deal last night.

Lost a valve on cylinder #1 after takeoff.

Didn't declare, started running rough around 400-500agl after turning crosswind, RPMs instantly dropped to 2200 or so and continued dropping, notified tower of engine problems and requested immediate landing, they told us to pick a runway and moved a Learjet on final to the far parallel.

We didn't know was going on, but got a clue it was something bad when we started smelling oil smoking off of the exhaust when we were on final, and had no idea it was as bad as it was until we got out and saw the landing gear coated with oil and a growing puddle underneath.

Most exciting 0.4 ever.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

overdesigned posted:

:stare: Well that's certainly an exciting night.

Indeed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

helno posted:

I was in a poker tun this weekend and the plane I was in had one of those.

It helped point out traffic that we hadn't heard on the radio yet.

Wont help you if someone has no transponder.

Unfortunately Zaon has gone out of business and their products discontinued. :(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tide posted:

Out of curiosity, how long after getting your PPL did anyone wait before taking someone up with you?

About 2 weeks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tide posted:

Probably need to rephrase it to "how many hours did you log before taking wife/kid/significant other up?"

3-4 hours

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally flew my first good ILS under the hood today, dead center the whole way down. :3:

Backed it up by flying 2 more with no more than one dot deflection.

God that felt good, I think my brain has finally put the pieces together.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've been doing the half your ground speed thing, it works great.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Doing my first real IFR XC tomorrow, flying from KAPA to KCOS to KBJC.

I can't wait.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

What are the competitive alternatives to LogTen Pro? They just switched into a ridiculous subscription model that is more expensive than getting my 1st medical certificate every year. Months after I paid a small fortune for their OSX and iOS software. Even if I were stupid enough to pay that much money every year, I don't think that company will be around for long.

I use myflightbook.com it's free, all their funding comes from donations. They have an app to add flights as well as Dropbox and excel spreadsheet syncing.

e:
Also, did a short IFR XC today, it's coming along nicely. CFI and I have decided to cut flying back from twice a week to once a week to stay proficient and hit the books hard in preparation for the written and oral.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 18, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Second Solo XC today, 2.8 hours and a great morning to fly.

Good stuff, I actually enjoyed my solo XCs more than my first solo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
IFR written this Friday. I know I'll do fine, but still nerves none the less. :unsmith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Passed my IFR written with an 87% and wrapped up my long XC tonight. Almost there.

http://maplorer.com/permalink.php?file=2014-11-01_07_32_46_f_Track_2014-10-31-225357.gpx

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Congratulations. Out of curiosity, how much harder did you find the IFR test than the PPL written test? I ended up shifting gears and not doing aviation as a career, but even after four years of university in an unrelated field, I'd say the PPL written exam was in the top three most stressful/difficult exams I ever wrote.

Easier, just because I knew more what to expect this time around.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Desi posted:

:words:
Though we haven't had any of the shenanigans with higher ATP mins like they have in the US... yet.

Welp, time to move to Canada.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I would look for something with as little structural plastic as possible, plastic doesn't do well in the super cold.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

If you don't mind on-ear vs. over-the-ear, I highly recommend the DC PRO-X.
:words:

I've been mulling over the purchase of the pro-x for a while, good to hear it's good.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

xaarman posted:

Didn't we have some discussion before where I was shocked about these statements.

A 3 hour delay is a "I'm too fatigued to fly" call? I mean if it was the 4th day and the 3rd leg and crap sleep all 3 nights then yeah, but taken at face value... this normal in the civilian world?

Fatigue generally doesn't carry the risk of killing a couple hundred people in the normal civilian world either.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Entone posted:

Extra training is good, but the guy flew on this day with no instrument rating. That breaks some of the ADM training. They were predicting hail and possible tornadoes.

gently caress it we're doing it live.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
What if you're doing it for both? :smith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Welp my IFR check ride is scheduled for the 23rd, unless one of the other half dozen DPEs I called and left messages with call me back and have something earlier available. :toot:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

e.pilot posted:

Welp my IFR check ride is scheduled for the 23rd, unless one of the other half dozen DPEs I called and left messages with call me back and have something earlier available. :toot:

And they did, scheduled for Wednesday!

Excitedly nervous.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
On December seventeenth, in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen, I am officially an instrument pilot. :toot::toot::toot:

Next stop, gliders. :homebrew:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Hey good job. Hardest rating to get right there.

The Slaughter posted:

Congrats e.pilot, and Apollo good luck you goon. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down. :fyadride:

Thanks! didn't seem like today would ever get here.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DNova posted:

I really want an inflatable Otto to stick in the plane when I'm parked at fly-ins or whatever.

someone make this happen and take my money

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Spaced God posted:

Wx was poo poo, looking at the radar, and sources are saying that it was going 100 kts slower than filed. But of course take all of that with the rest of the wild speculations that happen during the times like this.

What if it just kept climbing all the way to the moon?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duke Chin posted:

Hah, like the battery would last that long.

Seriously though, they never ever last in mine... I've never even come close to filling an SD card before I have to swap the little bricks out. :mad:

With the battery backpack I can get about 3 hours out of my 3+ silver.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ethanol posted:

I'd like to go to a part 141 school, I'm currently seeking the funding to do such a thing. There don't seem to be many schools that will work with federal student loans. I've found three flight schools so far that provided FAFSA school codes. I've got to keep in mind I already went to college and got an unrelated bachelor's degree, and I've paid all but $17k of those federal loans down, but I'm also considering a 2 year degree from a state or community college if it makes getting federal funding easier.

Recommendations for how to proceed would be excellent. To start, filled out a fafsa and went through ATP Flight School's financing application to see what they could offer, just to get an idea, and I believe they don't accept federal funding. They're asking me now if I can find cosigner for some sort of student loan plan.

Part of the problem with doing this part 61 besides it taking too long and being more expensive is that the closest flight school is a 1.5 hour drive. the part 141 'pilot mills' tend to have student housing that I would be interested in.

I should add I only have a few hours of 'discovery' flight experience and obviously, no license, but I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of making this into a career.

See if you can find any flight schools near you that qualify for the Workforce Investment Act grants. (WIA grants don't require a 141 school either, my school is part 61)

The application and selection process varies by county, so you'll have to google around for the process.

I am submitting my application next week and assuming I get accepted I'll be getting $6000 to put towards my CPL.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I got out of the Air Force after 10 years, I'm still toying with the idea of doing WO in the guard to finish up 10 more years and get a pension.

Will have to see what the pilot job market is like once I graduate and get the rest of my ratings.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm too old for that as well.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ethanol posted:

So do you guys think having a fresh PPL will help somebody get into WO? Can't hurt, I guess.

Supposedly it does. I have no facts to back this up though.

Building a package for the WO program is actually how I got started in flying. That plan kind of fell through while I was still on active duty though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ethanol posted:

Sorry, what branch were you in? Can you apply for that program from any branch?

I was enlisted in the Air Force, any branch is eligible. A few more hoops to jump through if you're not coming from the Army, but it's nothing impossible.

This is more or less it, but contacting a WO recruiter will get you all the info you need.
http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

Hardest part coming from the AF is finding a WO to get a letter of recommendation from, since the AF doesn't have those.

It's been over 2 years since I was going through the process, so I'm not 100% up on the latest info, but I can't imagine it's changed all that much.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 5, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Yay, tomorrow is NEW MEDICAL day! I love this new online registration that lets you think of every time you've ever been to a hospital and list it in detail.

Luckily I haven't had a complicated history, but man I could see this being hell for anyone who was a stupid kid.

PRNC

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

I just got a part-time job on the side as an instrument instructor. I've had my II for over a year now and I've never actually used it, plus my instrument instructor was a joke and I want to avoid putting someone else through that. What's a good jumping off point for me? Anyone have a good instrument syllabus they use, or should I just chug through the PTS?

Basically, I don't want to wing it and look like I'm new to instructing.

Do you have some kind of loggable sim available to you? I would start students off in that to save them money and time before jumping in to a real plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Sim time is such a great asset to IFR training. I got 40 hours of IFR sim time through my college and it was priceless. A bit of a learning curve going from the Frasca 141 to a real plane, but I was able to earn my ticket at minimums.

• Locked thread