Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Jealous Cow posted:

It's really disconcerting to see the other end of the runway pass so closely under you.

The FARs say you must be able to lose an engine at v1 and clear the threshold vertically by 35'. For reference, the tail on a modern 737 is about 40'. So you could be way lower than what you're seeing now and it would still be legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

Alright after creeping on this thread long enough I think I'm gonna take my first flying lesson. Anything to look for in instructors or schools that's not covered in the op?

For the love of god. DON'T. MAKE. THIS. YOUR. CAREER.

Source: I did, it was a terrible choice. [/bitterforant]

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

No this will be for fun and wasting money.

Sounds like you've got the most important part figured out. It's a lot of fun and it wastes a lot of money.

Having said that, there were some changes to the student pilot certification process (in the U.S.) that wee made since the op was written: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/student_cert/

Part of your flight instructors job is helping you with the paperwork shenanigans the FAA makes you go through so they'll know more about it.

My suggestion is to find a local flight school, usually known as an FBO, and schedule a demo flight.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Hey now, complaining is our stress outlet. If we didn't complain we'd eventually snap and show up for work out of uniform and then go on an incoherent rant over the PA.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

overdesigned posted:

It's probably fun for the F-22 pilot.

I know the f-22 has all sorts of cool stuff that lets it fly at ridiculous aoa but can it actually fly at Cessna speeds? Because if it can't that would be a major pain in the rear end.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

All the private pilots I know are poor BECAUSE they're pilots.

You made a typo. Although to be fair, some of the pilots I know aren't poor. They just have heaps of student debt.

Also, shame on anyone who tries to cover up a mistake like that. A bent prop is pretty obvious but if it's something a little less blatant you're leaving the next pilot a potentially unsafe airplane without warning them about it. Not cool.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah. Like to the pound. Most planes offer insane control over their fuel systems.

About that. Apparently the CRJ has a fuel driven flap system because every time you put them out you suddenly "lose" several hundred LBS of fuel.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The more I hear about the MU-2 the more it sounds like a terrible plane. Yet every time I bring it up people say "It's not a dangerous you just have to understand how to handle it." I'm starting to think those people are wrong.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

I would really appreciate it. I know how to fly a twin, it I'm not sure exactly what I need to be able to teach and more specifically DO in the multi practical portion.

As previously mentioned the only real oral difference is being able to teach OEI aerodynamics, engine failure procedures/ADM and OEI performance calculations. There will probably be some extra systems questions as most twins tend to be complex aircraft while most singles aren't.

As far as the practical is concerned you need to be able to handle engine failures at pretty much any point from the takeoff roll all the way to short final. You also will need to be able to perform a VMC demo.

As far as the teaching aspect you need to be able to determine when it's safe to give a student a failure, simulated or actual. You'll also need to demonstrate that you're aware of the common ways students try to kill you in light twins such as stepping on the wrong rudder, adding full power without corresponding rudder input, sloppy coordination during stalls. Ect.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hjp766 posted:

Update to the op..
Please add A330/A350

Ta

Nice! Do the 330/350 share a common type rating?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Anyone near ORD hear the crazy guy on guard this afternoon? He was yelling about JP-8 having poison in it and that he was placing the military pilots under citizens arrest for not using jet-a. Couldn't tell if it was a joke or a paranoid dude who had spent his money on a transceiver instead of his meds.

PT6A posted:

Oh good it's not just me.

I found that in the 172 if you yaw to the right a bit before trying to spin it gives you a bit of a running start with regards to left yaw. Be wings level in slow flight and slowly get the brick/ball about halfway out to the left. Then simultaneously apply left rudder, right aileron, and full power. You'll end up with enough "yaw momentum" that you actually end up in a spin instead of a spiral.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 17, 2017

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Just an FYI: If you hit a goose with the cockpit at 200 knots check your switches. Apparently the impact can be hard enough to pop switchlights out of the overhead panel. On a related note does anyone know where to buy some clean underwear in OMA?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

Was this on climb out, or descent? And instead of underwear maybe buy a steak instead for surviving that pants-making GBS threads incident.

Base to final turn landing OMA. My fms was inop so I was leaned over using the captains to sequence the approach when *BANG*. Sounded like a gunshot. My first thought was that a window had shattered or the o2 bottle had blown its over pressure disk. After a second my captain said he had seen a flash through the landing light and thought it was a bird strike. Post landing inspection revealed a switch light was popped out of the overhead panel and there was a 4' long trail of bird guts on the fuselage starting just over my windscreen. It was the last flight of the night so we wrote it up and went to bed. I flew the same plane a few days later and now there's a patch job on the fuselage so it must have done some damage to the skin.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Two Kings posted:

Ironic that it is also one of the most heavily and staunchly unionized professions in the US.

We have a couple of pilots who love to talk smack about unions despite the fact that they would have been fired a long time ago if ALPA pilot assistance hadn't managed to save their careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

With a constant speed feathering prop in a light twin:

If you lose oil pressure in the engine, will the prop feather regardless of where the prop lever resides?

I don't know if it's actually an aircraft certification requirement but every light twin I know of operates this way.

• Locked thread