Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
yay, new thread.
This thread is now about wingsuiting into Rio illegally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFmvMHPQ1k8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I think the thread title should have been Aviation Megathread: The first of rule of Flight Club is you do not talk about Flight Club

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
getting paid(??) in flight hours.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It was probably me because I have strong feelings and recall debating that. I don't recall a PDF though, I dunno. PS: They're all interrelated but for primary training I teach pitch for your aiming point and power for your airspeed while on approach.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

brendanwor posted:

Going for a jumpseat ride in my new machine (B737-900ER), mid-type rating at the moment.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
The air force teaches power for airspeed, though.
The other way is known as the "navy method".
In short, gently caress that.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
This pretty much sums up the regional new hire bonuses as well as the Endeavor-to-Delta program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIDaEWwjcC8

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Trying to work through airlineapps. Question on the driving history.. they have NO cutoff. Also, one charge I had was reduced - do I put the original or the court reduced? There was another ticket that the court dismissed. I know this is a.. risky nebulous area as far as nondisclosure of anything goes being very likely to disqualify you. But a dismissed ticket means legally you did not commit the infraction... so it shouldn't go on there, right? My record has been very clean for 5+ years now, it was all youthful indiscretion. Also, I don't even know where to start with putting stuff on there. Do I go to the DMV and get a driving record? Is there a way to order a background check on myself online that would include it?

Edit: California driving history shows nothing. Thought I got a ticket there at one point. Looks like I'll have to go in person to get my Washington one. Those are the two states I've driven in, with the addition of Arizona but I never got pulled over in Arizona (I'm not latino, so the cops didn't care about me.)

Edit2: Got the Washington one. It only shows 1/20/07 "Failure to yield right of way." and nothing else. I got two speeding tickets that don't show up at all, one I did traffic school for and one that was just straight up dismissed. That was like 2006-2007ish. Not sure what to throw on airlineapps. :( I don't mind putting them on there with a status of 'dismissed' but I don't even know the dates, it was at least 7 years ago and apparently the state agencies haven't kept that record...

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 26, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah. And you can get an instrument rating and always fly on an IFR flight plan where ATC also has separation obligations.
There are decent traffic systems, like the Garmin GTS800 TAS, we have that at work on our planes and it's realllllly good. I think it costs about 20k though, so you don't see it in a lot of trainers which is too bad. The only annoying thing is it goes 'traffic, traffic' while you're on short final because somebody is holding short of the runway but you get used to it. All the people on the ground with their transponders on show up.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Got a skywest interview in December. Woo.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Looking at the skywest gouges is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. Planning on going and practicing the profile at least a little closer to the interview and at some point I need to go through everything explained for the professional pilot again. Also, really need to memorize a bunch of Seminole stuff since it's the most complex airplane I've flown and it sounds like they make you draw lots of systems out.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah I have a lot of Frasca time and atcseattle.com looks like they have a Frasca 141/142 set up as a twin. It's horribly overpriced but whatever, it's my career so it's worth it.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Half your groundspeed ... times 10 for approximate descent rate. Or else you'll end up way high...
I'll bite, what's DLIDS?

Oh, and my mental 'get ready for an approach' checklist is "Do your AABBCCs."

A- Atis
A- ATC (Ask for approach)
B- Build the approach
B- Brief the approach
C- Checklist
C- Call - any further calls required, switching to tower, etc.

Has always worked well for me. :)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It's $69/year, you get your first class medical for less than that? I paid $100 for the last one, I think, and it was 15 minutes.
Also through the 30th it looks like it's $35... I'll probably do that while I figure out if I want to switch or not. It's expensive but it's a pretty drat good app... And honestly it's not very different from them charging $70 a year for a new version since they came out with a new version like... every year.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Sauron, heh. Sounds like Sauron. And for us 70% is passing.
I took my ATP written on July 31st to beat the deadline and grandfather in, as I'm sure many others did.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Finish your written test, don't procrastinate.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I know controllers have bad days too but I get really mad when they are pissy about you verifying, especially when they give unclear instructions or give them at an inopportune time.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
You do. I filed a lot flight instructing the Chinese. Yet to file one at current job though even after a year and a half.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It seems like the system honestly is more geared towards punishing pilots than controllers. If a controller fucks up, I dunno what happens, but if a pilot fucks up, you may get a phone number and they start coming after your certs. Perhaps FK can shed some light on the other end of this? I do know separation errors etc get tracked but don't really know what happens on the other end of things. I've had bad instructions given to me that if I followed could have led to serious incidents - landing clearances with an aircraft still on the runway, turns directly into traffic in response to a "traffic alert", etc.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I hope you've been hanging out with FK and annoying him with survey work.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Nah, get into aviation for the fame and the fortune!
There was a post on reddit that was interesting, saying basically if you get into airline flying because you love flying, you'll be unhappy in 5 years, but if you get into it because you like travel and will use the flight bennys, those people are the happiest.

I laughed out loud at my coworker the other day because he said he spent $250,000 going to Embry Riddle and doing the multi track, but that he felt he received "superior training" and had flown with a lot of unimpressive ATP people. Well maybe I'm unimpressive but I can probably get some remedial training since I'm not out 250k. Another spent $200,000, also went to riddle, and financed it I guess because he's 200k in debt. That must be absolutely soul crushing.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Honestly envoy is dead TA or no TA.
They are not going to be able to staff with that crap sandwich TA.
So you either lose airplanes from not being able to staff them, or lose them because of no TA.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Congrats e.pilot, and Apollo good luck you goon. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down. :fyadride:

I need 2-3 more pages of my 20ish page final Erby Diddle Astronomical Universidad capstone paper on how 9/11 changed aviation. And I'm loving out of ideas. So that's what I've been doing all drat week.
Good news is once I poop something out of my brain I'm done with my bachelors and should graduate with 3.99 GPA if I do OK on this final paper.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Animal posted:

How much will it end up costing? I need to do a degree but I dont know if I should shortcut to the useless aeronautical one or get one in which I get actual skills that can land me side-gigs (something IT related maybe)

In terms of tuition alone and not books, about 18k. At current tuition rates, it would have been about 20k. But I got my 2 year degree first at a local community college at in-state rates ($17,000ish) and then transferred that into Embry Riddle worldwide as well as my FAA ratings which served as elective credits. If I had done it mre smrtr I think I probably could have saved money but not every class transferred 1-1 and I had to fight with Riddle a bit on that as well, despite their insane tuition it might be cheaper to just go to Riddle from the beginning if you don't have anything yet. And yeah, the undergrad capstone blows. We had to draft and turn in a 10 page proposal before starting on any loving thing, and then it had to get approved by the aeronautics dept, and yeah the whole process has made me not enjoy capstone courses! And yes, every program outcome must be demonstrated although I think I'll get away with just some basic figures analysis I did instead of some kind of regression, I barely put anything about stats in my proposal and it was accepted, so yeah. And Fordan, I've covered some of that, but I appreciate the ideas anyway, maybe that'll give me what I need, so thanks!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
We were explicitly not allowed to use previous work/papers. Which is bs cause I had a nice one tearing the TSA a new rear end in a top hat that I wasn't allowed to use.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'm not sure how insane you'd have to be at this point to get into this career and want to take on debt to do so. Adding another degree is not going to solve your problem and I really suggest having more than a few hours of "oh isn't this fun" discovery flight before you do something quite expensive. Also, lol Apollo I'm pretty sure I did more than "airplanes" at Embry Riddle.
As for taking lessons at a local flight school "taking too long" - doing it through a degree is going to be faster how? And there's no rushing your way to ATP mins, even if you meet the restricted qualifier you're talking at least two years.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 3, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
If you already have a degree, have you considered the military route?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Since when is the quality inn in Detroit or the crew room at some lovely hub airport the best office? Please don't feed the idealists.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I've been gone for a bit but see I have to defend myself.

ethanol posted:

I mean yeah it's hard to have a good attitude towards getting a pilot slot when your GPA is trash and you've spent the last three years since graduation doing nothing of importance and have basically no recommendations.

So go in massive private debt (probably npt happening) or join the military for the gi bill or find a way to make more money in a year than I ever have before to pay for part 61. gently caress. That's pretty much all I can say right now.

There are so many reasons in this post alone why you shouldn't go into professional aviation but I said what I'm going to say on the matter. Maybe you're truly well educated on just what is to come, but I ran into so many ATP grads that had the most unrealistic expectations imaginable. And I know where many of them ended up, and it hasn't been too great. I think if you can afford to get into professional aviation, or get somebody else to pay for it (like the military), and you've educated yourself on the drawbacks than it is something to consider. It's a unique job and I think flying certainly gives you a good office, unique benefits, and can end up as a pretty decent career with a bit of luck professionally. But it doesn't always work out that way, and I just don't think it's worth taking on a massive debt load because you're not realistically going to be able to pay it back and it takes a bad financial situation to a soul crushingly worse financial situation. If I couldn't have done this mostly debt free, I wouldn't have done it and I'm really fortunate that I was able to. I'm certainly not going to encourage anybody to get into aviation by taking on a massive amount of debt, and as you mentioned you only had a few hours, it sounds like you need a little dream crushing back to reality. Somebody's gotta be the bad guy and if it's me, that's fine. gently caress, ask awseft who started this thread how his career has turned out and if it's what he expected.

Animal posted:

Its not all doom and gloom though, and if you are already so digruntled then I am afraid you are gonna be one of those guys no one wants to fly with, who just bitch and moan about the industry and their commute. I am happy being a regional pilot for the past three years. The trick is that I love love love to travel. I did the math for last year and I got about $70,000 out of plane tickets flying around the world on my free time. Mostly business class. South Korea twice, Morocco, Belgium twice, Holland, France, Panama, Dominican Republic, Spain twice, Puerto Rico like 7 times, New York City around 5 times, and other stuff I can't remember. Thats all within 12 months, on my days off. This would have been impossible with a normal desk job. So I am living the dream even though I made $48,000 in gross pay. But the way I see it, I made over $100,000. I don't commute, I don't have a family, and I don't give a poo poo about buying crap like cars or flat screen TV's. My expenses go to eating out, medical stuff, travel expenses, and camera gear. So if I had an office job that paid $100,000 I would have blown most of it travelling anyways, except I would have had much less time to do it.

If you are doing this to fly cool planes and don't give a poo poo about travelling, you are gonna end up hating it very soon because the novelty will wear off. About 80% of the people I fly with don't care about travelling. Another 50% has never even left the USA outside of going to Canada or Mexico for work trips. The only people who I fly with who are happy are the world travelers.

Dude, I'm not disgruntled, no family, I am pretty lucky and I like my job most of the time, it has it's ups and downs (bad pun). And I don't like trips with negative people, cause they really bring you down. But overall, I do enjoy my job, it can be pretty fun, it can be pretty boring but at least it's rarely the same. I personally love travelling as well and I know what you mean as I asked a FA the other day if she had been anywhere cool with her benefits and she said she never uses them. What a loving waste. And I'm glad you're happy within those parameters because that's basically where I'm at too, I like cool planes but I am more into the travel aspect/seeing the world/different places and cultures, and my expenses are mostly eating out and travel. At this point my car's paid off and I'm just fine with my TV, I prefer 'experiences' to possessions. It would be nice to be able to afford my own apartment, but I'm never home anyway. I could honestly give a poo poo if I fly a Q400 or a CR2 or an E175, although I would like to fly a 787 someday cuz I think it's just a beautiful fuckin airplane but yea.
But people entering the industry, especially those wanting to get into massive debt with only a few hours flight time, have to be realistic.

Loan Calculator
Loan Balance: $80,000.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $80,000.00
Loan Interest Rate: 6.80%
Loan Fees: 0.00%
Loan Term: 10 years
Minimum Payment: $50.00
Enrollment Status: Still in School
Degree Program: Bachelor's Degree
Total Years in College: 4 years
Average Debt per Year: $20,000.00

Monthly Loan Payment: $920.64
Number of Payments: 120

Cumulative Payments: $110,477.25
Total Interest Paid: $30,477.25
Note: The monthly loan payment was calculated at 119 payments of $920.64 plus a final payment of $921.09.

It is estimated that you will need an annual salary of at least $110,476.80 to be able to afford to repay this loan. This estimate assumes that 10% of your gross monthly income will be devoted to repaying your student loans. This corresponds to a debt-to-income ratio of 0.7. If you use 15% of your gross monthly income to repay the loan, you will need an annual salary of only $73,651.20, but you may experience some financial difficulty.This corresponds to a debt-to-income ratio of 1.1.

The following table lists the minimum income necessary to repay the debt without encountering a partial economic hardship. Partial economic hardship is defined as having annual education loan payments in excess of 15 percent of discretionary income, where discretionary income is the amount by which Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) exceeds 150 percent of the poverty line. This figure is shown in the Minimum AGI (IBR) column. The Minimum AGI (ICR) column uses an alternate definition of economic hardship, based on 20 percent of discretionary income which is defined as the excess of AGI over 100 percent of the poverty line.

Source: http://www.finaid.org/calculators/scripts/loanpayments.cgi

I don't know about you but personally on my $27,000 a year salary at Transpac my take home pay was like $875 a check after the huge lovely health care premium and taxes and worker's comp.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 9, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Bedford is republic, he was not at republic.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Republic cold called me today and I was really tempted to tell the recruiter "I can't afford to work for you". Instead I stayed diplomatic cause you never know but yea.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Gun-Toting-FAA-Inspector-Nabbed-At-LaGuardia223415-1.html

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Captain Apollo posted:

Anybody have experience doing a rotorcraft add-on after they already had a commercial pilots license?

I'm wondering what the real world hour figures would be.

before or after you die in the deathtraps that are light helicopters?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Got the email today from Compass to set up an interview. Now to study like cray-z.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
She can change the ticket to use it at a later date if she's willing to pay the change fee... If it's a non-refundable fare, then the insurance company would really be her only other option.
So in my news, I need to build time as fast as I can, I've got my company interview mid march... and it looks now like I'm on reserve all next week and then with my vacation it's gonna be 5 weeks before I touch an airplane again. Fuckkkk my life. I need to find some airplane I can build a bunch of cheap time in. :/

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
They better not touch it.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
He should get the instructor cert, it's possible to get jobs at 250 without it but they're few and far between for sure. its just competitive enough to where they don't usually need someone with 250.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Compass interview is in just over a week. making GBS threads myself. Why did I set up my #1 choice as my first interview? I should have gone and interviewed with PSA or republic or something first as practice :/

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Butt Reactor posted:

Don't you already work for a regional? Anyway don't sweat it, go find and read the gouges, it can't be any harder than the 4(!) hour interview I had with SKW.

Nah, I'm still doing aerial survey. I've read the gouges, that's why I'm stressed. Since Compass used to have delta flow with no interview, they still do the full Delta interview deal with the insane written test, the cog test and the personality test (plus the HR panel). I've been practicing poo poo like "You're 100 nm from a storm, at 20,000 feet, you tilt the radar 1.5 degrees up, what is the thunderstorm top?" (60:1 rule means 1 nm at 60 nm, so 1.6nm at 100nm, 1.6nm x 6000 = roughly 10,000 ft, thunderstorm top is 30,000). Dunno about the rest of the ex-CFIs, but I've never been asked anything like that... so I'm a bit spooked I'm gonna forget these formulas and so on. 8.5 or 9x the sq rt of the tire pressure for the dynamic hydroplane speed... my head is swimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

I always felt bad for the guys instructing for the Chinese pilot mills in the Phoenix area, since they had to wear what looked like some stupidly warm uniforms in a climate that's absolutely miserable in the summer, without the benefit of usable air conditioning at low altitudes.

Hi, that's why I only made it one summer. I nope'd out when it was May and I got a different job offer.

• Locked thread