Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
You don't need a drat therapist, flying has a risk associated with it and we all know it. Just like riding a motorcycle, as long as the benefits outweigh the negatives, keep flying.

Watching Goose die didn't keep Maverick from flying did it????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Also big sky theory and/or move your training to an ATC airfield and/or fly a plane with TCAS.

But keep flying.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 30, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Congrats

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I am trying to get back to Randolph AFB to teach PIT there, but it's not looking like it's going to happen. Miss my sea food out n backs to Corpus Christi :(

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Congratulations, awesome job!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Speaking of which, have you guys seen this report?

The GAO report on the pilot shortage, Current and Future Availability of Airline Pilots:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/661243.pdf

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Sarrisan posted:

Huh. No diploma, unfortunately, but 15 credits isn't much. Thanks for the suggestion. I can take some meteorology courses and other related stuff as well, in case this doesn't pan out.

FYI most high paying flying jobs will be closed off if you don't have a degree, unless your uncle is the CEO of Boeing. Recommend getting a useful degree to escape retail instead of flying.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The approach/tower controllers at AMA were exceedingly awesome accommodating my students plans yesterday, even when they blew through a couple altitudes. Here's a picture of my students bright as poo poo ADI with a bit of Amarillo in the background:

xaarman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 5, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Well you got me pre-edit, let me know if you want the full size one.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Tide posted:

The one I got is 16x12. Is there a larger one?

You're right, I accidentally uploaded the largest one.

Zochness posted:

You're always flying around here on my days off, haha. I knew I heard a beechjet go over my apartment last night. Great picture!

Probably, the T-1 makes a unique whine at 180 kias, so it's super easy to pick out.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

azflyboy posted:

I'm pretty sure a fatigue call would be perfectly justified after putting up with that level of BS.

Didn't we have some discussion before where I was shocked about these statements.

A 3 hour delay is a "I'm too fatigued to fly" call? I mean if it was the 4th day and the 3rd leg and crap sleep all 3 nights then yeah, but taken at face value... this normal in the civilian world?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Fatigue generally doesn't carry the risk of killing a couple hundred people in the normal civilian world either.

The argument isn't that if fatigue is bad or not, it's that a 3 hour delay warrants a fatigue call, based on the information provided.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Friend just got hired by Horizon Air!

Said 2/4 got the CJO, 1 sent home for being an rear end in a top hat (dropping f bombs in front of everyone, bragging about rocking the technical section) and the other apparently didn't have the sim go very well.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

More seriously, I called ERAU once when I was considering changing flight schools for Commercial (the check airman I did my Instrument ride with was a noted dickbag) and was somehow given the number of the head of Riddle's flight department. When I explained my situation (just finished Instrument, interested in a flying career, ERAU-Worldwide student), he told me "unless you want the ERAU name, save your money and train somewhere else".

I later met him at CLT while waiting for a flight to DAB; he approached me because I had a Riddle t-shirt on. I didn't let on that he was the guy who told me "don't come to my flight program" a few months before.

He sounds like a legit good guy and someone you could take a lot of solid career advice from.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I did a campus tour with my grandfather about 19 years ago and it looked pretty cool. However, something I did not consider back then:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/embry-riddle-1479

quote:

Students
4,679 enrolled
83% male / 17% female

:barf:

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 3, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

ethanol posted:

By military route you mean what exactly? I don't think there's any chance in hell I could get into a pilot slot

Not with that attitude. Why not?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

What are the competitive hiring mins for mil/civ?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

Has anyone in here worked as a Part 65 flight dispatcher? I'm going to be looking for a new job soon, and my previous work experience lets me go directly to the exam phase. I'm looking for general info like starting salary, how willing you have to be to move, typical hours, etc.

I'm sure you've seen it, but this seemed like a good FAQ: http://www.airlinedispatcher.com/website/archive/faq.htm

Seems like the standard airline gig... become a slave for a year or two, then make decent income.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Zochness posted:

North of AMA we have a fix on an RNAV approach to a satellite airport called JISAM. I pronounce it Ji-Sam, but other controllers here make a point to pronounce it differently.

We were just talking about this in the squadron the other day... One of our IPs said jy-sam, the controller read back jism, and he was forced to say it that way :(

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Challenge accepted. Where you at?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think he means "don't do it on the job." Which is a good lesson for pilots to learn from controllers.

Thank you Buzz Killington.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Signing up to get my ATP done in a month. No idea what I'm going to do with it, but it seems like a good thing to have.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Southwest Airlines pilot window opened today for 2 weeks. Bah.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Make a recording and play on repeat until you can't take it any more

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxz2hhSXuY

The after-hours part holds equally true for military aviation. I guess I can be thankful we don't carry passengers.

WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK TALK WITH YOUR HANDS WORK WORK WORK WORK SEA STORY WORK WORK MAINTENANCE WORK WORK WORK TOPGUN JOKE

I love this video, I think it's the legos.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Trying to schedule with an ATP examiner, but they are being problematic with their availability, bah.

Also what's the average cost for a 1st Class Flight Physical? Is it $80 and a docs visit or is it more in depth?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

Just look at Egypt Air. There were multiple people on that flight deck and at the controls and that smashed into the ocean anyway.

Mechanical malfunction.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 29, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Even the military is not immune to depressive pilots flying a plane:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_D._Button

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

xaarman posted:

Trying to schedule with an ATP examiner, but they are being problematic with their availability, bah.

Also what's the average cost for a 1st Class Flight Physical? Is it $80 and a docs visit or is it more in depth?

In case anyone was wondering, it was $100. Standard evaluation with a bit more focus then I was expecting on visual acuity. They found something with one eye which I had to go to an optometrist for an evaluation. I passed now, but slightly nervous it could get worse (which they said 99% won't happen but IT COULD.)

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

On a semi related note...

This staff deployment is not helping :\

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Can you explain any of this?

Okay looks like a lot of hiring in happening!

What does this have to do with staff deployments (what is that)
What airline is this?

It's a graph of who's been hired since they started back up their pipeline.

Staff deployments means I'm sitting on my rear end mastering PowerPoint and not accumulating any hours

As previously pointed out, It's Delta

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there an average count as to how many hours pilots exit the military with? I'd imagine it varies by branch, number of years, etc.

It depends. The averages are posted, but my friend was hired with 2400 hours TT, 1400 PIC, and 1100 Instructor hours. All high performance multi engine turbine time.

Rule of thumb for immediate competition is 3000 hours, 1000-1500 TPIC. 2000 TT for fighter guys. Right now they are taking all Tier 1 applicants (3500+ TT, 1000 hours instructor time, Safety school, Evaluators, etc) but that pool is starting to dry up.

Most guys who are leaving after their initial commitment have 2500-3500 hours with some variation of that above. We also log time differently (TO to LDG only, no taxi time included) so most airlines give us a multiplier... typically .3 per sortie.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 8, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The standards for single pilot fighter guys are a bit lower, the airlines know you guys don't accumulate hours as much as the fat guys do. Rumor has it 2,000 hours is the golden mark, but less is accepted (as long as you have your ATP.)

There are three rules for the Air Force:

1) Better lucky then good
2) Timing is everything
3) There is no justice

Once you've accepted that, life becomes a lot easier. Rekinom's career path gets him a lot of flight hours... mine not so much. I flew a heavy that did bare minimum flying unless deployed. I then went to a teaching job where we fly 2-4 hours a day, 1-3x a week. It's a lot of fun, but the hours are crawling. Now, as I rot (sun tan) in Tampa, I get 0 hours at a desk job. Currently at 2100TT with 700 TPIC, which ain't gonna move until the end of the year.

But as you all know, it's frustrating to not be doing anything to get to your end goal. 80% of the AF pilots I know would separate instantly if they could smoothly slide into a Major airline.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 15, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So what's required to become a DPE to give ATP checkrides?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vttuonfu2BM

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

No, I didn't select it with the tickets. I wasn't assigned. I can explain why it happened... I was on a Delta flight from CHS-ATL on an RJ then ATL-MKE. We landed a few min early, I had about 45 minutes to connect which meant I got to the gate about 25 min before departure (atlanta is big) as they were boarding but they told me to talk to the gate for a seat. Got the gate, they were already boarding, my coworker who I travelled with was on the screen with a seat assignment as cleared but my name wasn't on there at all.. But agent made an announcement about all standbys are cleared just come board or something to that effect. So I go up there, she can't find me at all, and says I'm not on the flight... and basically tells me "I can't deal with this right now, let me board everybody else". (in my head, I'm seeing all the carry-on space disappearing). At 10 min to departure with everybody except my coworker and I boarded, she finally goes back in the computer and can't seem to get me back on the flight I was never supposed to be taken off of... makes a phone call, 5 more min go by, and she finally has a boarding pass for me which she scans and I board... it was exit row middle... so I board and take my seat. I assume they had already briefed the exit rows and failed to notice the new passenger was in the exit row and/or didn't care. I didn't go run and call the FAA or something though, cause who cares, but that was the only time I haven't been asked.

Agent made me wait
Gave me exit row seating
Did not ask questions

There, your whole post in hiaku form.

( :) )

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Any tips studying for the commercial written? Doesn't seem nearly as daunting as the instrument one was.

http://sheppardair.com/commercial-pilot.htm

Did I mention Sheppard Air?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I like VFR so I don't have to worry about all that pesky take off planning.

IFR makes you feel like a real pilot though. No clouds/icing/airport/atc/equipment restrictions are gonna stop me!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

frenchnewwave posted:

Curious - how come there are so few female commercial pilots? I've never been on a flight that had a female pilot, captain or otherwise. Is the industry changing at all? Have you met any?

There's always the worlds most obnoxious female pilot, Gulfstream Girl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Pretty sure my cousin is dead because of that. Icing and a c170 on floats do not mix.

Edit: I know what you mean but...

Well I had a friend die while FLYING so I'm certainly never gonna do anything like that again.

• Locked thread