Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm thinking about a career as an A&P. I'm hesitant though since I spent a fortune on flying only to get the shaft when they changed the hiring rules (and no interest in paying for CFI at this point) and I'm getting the shaft in ATC after spending money on a cti degree (changed hiring practices made that degree irrelevant) and will age out fairly soon (2 years).

Getting my A&P is something I've thought of for years but never pursued because at the time my plan was purely to be able to do everything on my own plane (don't have yet) and do some work on the side. Looking at schools though, it looks like it'll cost me anywhere from $15-50k for a 2+ year program. Instead of paying for the schooling, it looks like I can find an A&P to work under and log that experience which counts towards the A&P certificates. Is it hard/impossible to find an arrangement like that?

I love working on cars and tinkering with stuff, and I love working in aviation so it seems like it'll be a good job for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

The part 147 school I went to is still less than $2k a semester. More importantly, when you get your certificate, suddenly no one gives a gently caress that you got it at Riddle or Spartan. They care about what kind of experience you have, which will be none. Don't pay $20k for an A&P, its just not a field where schooling matters much. (Unless you go into management.)

Getting a job on jets without a license is pretty hard. You basically have to go to work for a repair station, and go that route, which can be hit-or-miss in terms of ever getting to work on whole-airplanes (REBUILDING LANDING GEAR FOR THIRTY YEARS SOUNDS LIKE FUN.) In GA, though, you can generally get a job as a shop assistant, and learn that way. You'll open and close a lot of panels, do a lot of oil changes, and generally be a gopher, but if it's a good shop, and you're not lazy/an idiot, you should be able to get a sign-off at the minimums.

Helicopters are a specialized field of their own, with generally a lot more travel, and better pay, but you have to fight with constant swarms of ex-military mechanics just to get your foot in the door. The only company I've ever been aware of hiring new mechanics to work on helicopters is PHI in Louisiana, and the starting pay was lousy.

I wouldn't pin my hopes the ATC thing either, but don't give up on it, either, and keep applying whenever bids go out. You only have to receive a tentative offer letter before your 31st birthday, not actually begin employment. I went to the academy with someone who walked in the door three weeks after her thirty-fifth birthday.

Relevant-question: Are you under 5'6" or so? Are you generally the shortest guy in a room, or close to it?

Thanks for that. For atc, I'm just tired of waiting. I've been trying to get in since 2007 and my wife and I are ready to move, buy a house, and get settled. It's hard for me to say I've given up because I still want it badly.
I'm 6"1'.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

No fuel-tank-diving for either of us, then.

:):respek::)

Awesome, I was wondering how that was relevant

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm still convinced there will eventually be a shortage unless the incentive is there to become an airline pilot. Fewer people are willing to sink six figures into flight training only to be told thanks to Chuck Schumer you have to build another 1200-1300TT to reach the magic number just to get paid $18,000/year. And, of course, all the labor/management bullshit that's going on when you DO get there.

As I've said before, there's no reason 1,500 should be the hard floor, and the educational credits provided to shut Riddle/UND/Purdue/any other 141 program up are garbage. "Go to this school and get your Instrument AND Commercial there. Oh, you already HAD Instrument? And it was done 61? Sorry, but that won't do.".

e- Among the industry stakeholders interviewed: Families of Continental Flight 3407.

Uhh...OK, I'm glad that group of industry experts had their objective input solicited.

I agree about the shortage, and I wonder if it'll get bad enough for airlines to start cadet programs.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

Currently:
Look at year 8 FO pay at Republic (hint, it is the same as year 4) and you'll see where me and my coworkers are financially. I have a "small" loan, comparatively, of $47k, a wife, two kids, two dogs, and a house. If my wife didn't work I don't know what I would do. I have travel benefits but can't use them since I'm at 11 days off and ~$35k/y. Often there is more month left at the end of the paycheck. Upgrade has always been close but now it is slowly moving further away. Company has broken promise after promise and it shows in our moral.

Expectations:
When I was hired it was a "2 year upgrade MAX" (even for those coming in with 500 hours) and 5-7 years to a major. Of ALL my fellow flight instructor friends ONE has made it to upgrade on a jet. A couple that went to Colgan made captain on the Saab but are super junior jet FOs now.

Future:
I guess it is time to announce that I'm leaving the airlines. I found a corporate job in Florida flying a PC12.

Good to hear you're getting out! The few friends I have left there have nothing positive to say at all, even the ones in non-flying positions.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rubies posted:

Bummer... Thanks tho at least I know now!

I asked my dispatcher wife to plug sba into her computer and she said the a320 would be "no sweat". fwiw

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rubies posted:

:negative: I'm still confused... two beer does she usually run the numbers as an empty plane or would she factor in the 150 people on a full flight plus they luggage? Sorry if I'm being a pain in the balls btw not trying to poo poo up the thread with my dumb questions :shobon:.

She said it wouldn't go as a full flight but that it wouldn't be heavily restricted either. It wouldn't make it to the east coast without stopping somewhere for fuel, but the san diego flight needs to stop once in a while too depending on the wind.

Edit: numbers were computed with a wet runway so even contaminated wouldn't be a huge factor.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 31, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Wizard of Smart posted:

I thought there was an air travel megathread but I don't see it anymore. I have a question that is undeniably better suited for that thread, though.

A friend of mine bought an insured ticket through delta for a trip she can no longer take. None of the reasons for refund listed in the site really match her circumstances, so I was hoping someone here would known if it was even possible to obtain a refund and how to go about it.

(if someone knows where the air travel thread is and links it I'll cross post there, I know this isn't exactly the right place for this question)

Here ya go

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Anyone in private aviation? I design/engineer custom private jet interiors (used to do head of state wide bodies now I just do business jets). From talking to pilots who come through I hear being a private pilot sucks. Is this true?

My company will chip in $1500 towards a PPL but $1500 is only a drop in the bucket towards the full price and I don't know if I'd ever use it.

I have several friends that fly private jets and they're much happier after leaving the airlines, and flying much cooler planes. $1500 towards PPL isn't much, but it's better than nothing if you were planning on doing it anyway.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

(Yes I did build an ADS-B receiver for home use.)

I just got my raspberry pi and ads stuff this afternoon!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jamsta posted:

Nice! How much it cost, got any links to a build guide?

I'm on my phone right now, but google flightaware raspberry pi and they have a guide. I bought a kit through amazon that came with a bunch of other stuff.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PT6A posted:

So, I flew through Heathrow yesterday. Was I flying out at a particularly busy time, or is it just hosed up in general? I think I saw six planes lined up to take off (three in front of us, our plane, and then at least two more behind us). I don't think I've seen anything like that, even at major hubs in North America.

Six planes is a lot? I've seen lines wrap around JFK. Last time I flew out it was almost a two hour taxi and that was with nice weather!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rickety Cricket posted:

Also I'm laughing at the CTI-ATC university student who started giving me a holier than thou act when I told him I want to work for the airlines.

We aren't all like that :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
So I might have an opportunity to get some flying this summer after taking a couple years off due to the costs involved. I need 10 hours C182 time and my high performance endorsement, neither of which I have. I'm going to try to get both of those done at the same time but I really wish my multi engine time counted as HP since it was 2 180hp engines rather than one with more than 200.

e: apparently that used to be the case, in the 90s the wording used to be "an airplane with more than 200hp" instead of an "airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower".

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 1, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the 182 info!

I'd love to get time in a Bonanza or Mooney for the endorsement but since I need the 182 time anyway it makes sense to do it in the same plane.

I'm probably going to hold off though, I was adding up the costs involved and I'm looking at $5k for a bfr, the endorsement, and another 5 hours in anything to get up to their minimum hour requirements. Saving for a car and house right now so the timing stinks.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

If you need a complex endorsement the mooney or the bonanza would qualify for that but not the 182.* If you don't need the complex endorsement I'd just stick with the 182. Sure the other two are a little bit faster and more efficient but the 182 is an all around kick rear end tank of an airplane.

*There is such thing as a 182RG but as my CFI said "The RG is true to its name, the gear will retract when you ask it to. Getting it to extend again is an entirely different matter."

Already have complex, looking for high performance

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Oops! When I worked for a catering company at jfk, someone at a different company hopped out of their van that was still in gear and was headed for an Emirates A380. One of our drivers managed to run after it and stopped it in time. UAE ended up giving him round trip airfare to Dubai as a thank you.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrChips posted:

A buddy of mine had the exact opposite happen to him; a 737 ran into him while he was in a catering truck. The aircraft was parked + shut down at the gate and the ground crews were allowed up to the aircraft to start their turnaround. A few minutes later, the aircraft started to roll forward on its own because some bright light didn't chock the wheels properly. My buddy was in a catering truck with the box raised to door level when all of a sudden he felt a crash and the truck started to tilt. He managed to jump into the aircraft with seconds to spare before the truck was knocked over.

Holy poo poo

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Infinotize posted:

Anyone have experience flying NYC/long island area? I just started taking refresher lessons out of KFRG and omg it's expensive, $170/hr 172, $70/hr instructor, a few schools have similar rates. Anything better/cheaper around? Maybe it's time to start flying 152s.

Good loving luck finding something reasonable. I'm right by KISP and have been itching to get some hours in. I can't find anything that's worth paying for. I refuse to rent a Warrior for the same price I paid for a Seminole 7 years ago. My wife was even encouraging me to get back into it until I told her how much it would cost just to get back up to speed with things. Thinking about moving to TX and buying our own plane.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Hauldren Collider posted:

Maybe I'm missing something...what's wrong with Sporty's?

It appears he's upset that they sell something for $900 that you can make yourself for $113.90.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

xaarman posted:

Minimum legal coverage. No solo time needed... 3-4 flights and a check. Insurance not needed when flying with their instructors, just with the examiner.

That's strange, I did my multi engine training at an FBO that had some dumbass insurance requirements for their seminole (the school had a few issues with people forgetting to lower the landing gear) and this wasn't even a requirement for them.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Jetblue policy is not to use reversers unless required due to runway contamination or length. The reasoning being brake usage is better than engine wear.

Also one of the reversers could have been MELed so neither would be used.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Hauldren Collider posted:

Delta also doesn't overbook the poo poo out of its flights like United.

As a frequent Delta passenger I can tell you that Delta certainly does overbook the poo poo out of their flights.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

You should try JetBlue. I can't tell you how happy I am when I'm booked a ticket on JetBlue vs anyone else

JetBlue doesn't overbook flights period. As a non-revver, I'm very happy to have given up Delta benefits for jetblue benefits.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Never going to the doctor is the best way to maintain your FAA medical.

Hope you were born with a good immune system.

I have a very good immune system and I avoid going to the doctor for this reason. My current job requires a doctor's note for any sick time use which means I never use sick time.

Are controllers required to maintain an FAA medical?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Yup. Class 2/B/The middle one.

I just did my initial physical for ATC with the same AME that did my last FAA medical. In the future will I need to have separate medical certificates or can I get my 1st class for flying and that'll be good enough?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The truck hauling the portable tower broke down 80 miles from Austin.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Oh my god, hahaha. Where'd you hear that?

My wife's a dispatcher and she's been kept in the loop.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 1, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Do any of the New York airports (JFK/LGA/EWR) have visual approaches that have lights on any of the rivers? A United pilot I know said that the Hudson river has lights for an approach but wouldn't specify the airport and I think he's really full of poo poo. I've flown in and out of JFK and LGA a lot and have never heard of this.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

LGA 22 and 13 are over the east river and have MALSR. That isn't the Hudson but is an understandable mistake.

Thanks, he said that there was a trail of lights going from the river all the way to the runway to be used for a visual approach at night. He says all sorts of dumb poo poo but I thought this one might actually be possible.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

JFK 13L/R Visual approach has lights from the water to the runways. The FAA charts don't list them well (or it has changed) but they are "rabbit like" leading lights to show the base to final. Maybe thats what he is talking about?

That might be it, thanks!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah that's doesn't fit his description. Gonna stick with he's full of poo poo. He makes up a poo poo load of other stories so I'll add this to that list.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah, I'm a low time commercial pilot currently in training for ATC. Because of the poo poo pay and low job security I bailed on the airlines and crossed that off my list when I was laid off from Pinnacle due to their bankruptcy and saw them gently caress over their pilots every day I spent there.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rickety Cricket posted:

Would someone mind giving an in depth explanation on using flight benefits as a US pilot? And explaining "zed" fare? I have no idea how any of it works. Do you buy a reduced fare economy ticket and if there's an open first class seat you buy a reduced upgrade? Free upgrade? Spare no details

It really depends on the company you work for. When I worked for Pinnacle, we flew for free on Delta whether it was economy or first class (standby, of course) and the only time you had to pay anything was taxes if you flew international. Now my wife works for jetblue so I fly for free on any jetblue flight but I'm only allowed to fly economy (employees/standby aren't allowed to fly Mint), but for a fairly reasonable fare, I can buy a 'zed fare' on drat near any airline in the world and fly standby with them (space available, obviously, and the charges are usually based on mileage). In either case, you book your flight through a website and get your confirmation number. From there it's just like any other flight. You show up to the airport, go through security, and sit down at the gate. If there's enough seats open for everyone ahead of your priority code (oh yeah, that's a thing too), you'll get on.

Gate agents can be lovely too and you need to give them enough of a reminder that you're still waiting for a seat without being too pushy and pissing them off. I almost didn't get on a flight home once because the gate agent forgot about me despite me standing right by the counter, and I've pissed off some agents just by asking to confirm with them that I'm on the standby list. Everything is standby so you are never guaranteed a seat (except when the company is feeling generous and decides to give every employee a couple positive space tickets to use, which is pretty awesome too!). It was really nice when Delta put the status monitors at all the gates that shows the standby list and even shows when you are assigned a seat.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
JBU29 had a nose gear issue in Nassau today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk8BGb3mpN4

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
So JBU was training everyone on ETOPS at one point and abruptly stopped a few months ago except the maintenance guys kept training (and still are)...

From what I heard is that ASA got involved purely because JBU is showing interest and has no intention of moving forward. JBU wants ETOPS and they don't have it. VRD has it and the certification transfers over if they're bought. JBU and VRD Airbuses share the same type rating (although VRD uses different engines).

edit: well poo poo

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 5, 2016

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PT6A posted:

Next question: if the cable snaps like that, what does the aircraft do after recovering? Is the arresting system still operational after a cable snaps, or do they have to divert?

Pretty sure there are like 4 or 5 cables just in case the pilot misses the first one

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Animal posted:

Just completed my first oceanic crossing, PSM - HHN. I can't say I memorized all the little steps. Time to find some German beer and see what Tinder has to offer.

Awesome! I used to work for arinc as an HF radio operator and worked oceanic traffic for New York Oceanic and the Piarco FIR. I can answer anything related to HF procedures and CPDLC/datalink stuff.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

SCOTLAND posted:

I think FAA regs require a CPDLC position report upon first way point in American airspace like going Fukuoka to Anchorage airspace. Nobody has ever bothered me if we didn't send it so I wasn't sure if the info the ADS is spitting out meets this requirement or if it's just the controllers don't care like missing the early Havana to Miami radio call.

Not sure if the ADS reports meet the regs but I don't remember ever asking a pilot for a position report that had operational ADS. We'd ask them to reset their ADS/CPDLC and try to log on again, and if that failed then we'd require HF voice reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

hjp766 posted:

In re cpdlc. Check in is usually

Kestrel xxx, request selcal check, gander (etc) next

If all good you get

Backup 3598, at 30w contact gander

Read back frequency, positive selcal, sleep

Also,Santa Maria now have radar northbound from navix... No position reports in oceanic when non cpdlc. :toot: But funny old thing, stops abeam the Spanish Portugese fir boundary... Who knew the Azores were Portugese

NY arinc shares frequencies with Santa Maria, which can be a huge pain when it's busy, but I picked up a little Portuguese during my time there!

• Locked thread