Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
PPL skills test today. Managed to get 3 hours sleep last night. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
One of the most incredibly awesome things about flying in the UK is you can't fly* until you actually have your license. I passed my PPL skills test in mid-December, and am still waiting for my license to arrive. They finally took payment today, so maybe soon I will be allowed to fly planes.

* You can still fly solo with an instructor sign-off, or dual as a student, but no passengers.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

No temporaries???
No temporaries. I can't fathom a reason why they shouldn't exist here.

quote:

What if the bureaucracy loses your payment or paperwork?
Massive headaches all round, I guess. I made copies of everything before sending it all off. Would probably be screwed otherwise.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

e.pilot posted:

My club has some DA20s for 99/hr

Where?

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Can anybody confirm or deny? I thought the UK and Australia were similar to us in the USA. How did the Germans get it so wrong?

I paid my flight instructors £36/hour in the UK. Sounds like he got a pretty good deal.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

helno posted:

I also just bought an airplane and am not going to make you wait like Apollo.

30k CAD split two ways in a partnership.

Very cool. What are your recurring costs to run it? What does the hourly rate work out as?

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Hauldren Collider posted:

My trick is to only be 5'5" tall.

My trick is to fly low-wing planes

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

DNova posted:

I had no idea there was a particular oil level that the engine "likes"... what exactly does that mean and how do you figure it out?

It'll be in the aircraft's manual. Here's a page from a DA20-C1's AFM (after a page listing approved oil brands/types):

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

overdesigned posted:

So this happened, I guess. I didn't see it mentioned here yet? ATC vectored a Bonanza with an engine failure to Bethpage Airport, which hasn't existed since like the late 90's.

Link

That's sad. Normally runways stick around for a while after an airport closes, but from Google Earth's historical imagery it looks like they erased it pretty quickly. It's like 4nm from another, active airport though.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

jjones posted:

Still flying my Skyranger :D

Couple of weeks back did a fly/camp weekend on the UK East Cost:

Flew over to a friends strip and had a coffee then we fired the machines up and headed for Cromer, visibility was a bit crappy but was legal.

I've always wanted to go to "Little Snoring".

I spent a few hours getting checked out in a 172 at San Carlos. As a pretty new British PPL who learnt exclusively in the DA20, it took a while to get used to just about everything. Turns out I wasn't coordinating my turns, and landing in a 172 feels totally different. The radio is surprisingly quite different in America too. All that, and I only managed one solo flight to Modesto before my trip ended.

What's up with being cleared to land in America? How can you be clear to land when you're downwind and there's a plane on the runway? Over here they'd tell you to "continue" until the runway is actually clear. And landing clearance usually happens only once you've reported final.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I was doing survey work at 10,000ft so I'll keep the power at the bottom of the green arc and lean it out pretty well. Switched tanks every 45 minutes so when one ran dry I knew it was time to head back

Survey work, eh? You're one of those shady Cessnas they have circling urban areas perhaps?

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

The Locator posted:

Given the airport, this one was somewhat more in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsY8D2Gc9AI

Edit, the radio traffic leading up to the crash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPo5yuLbvco

Ugh, that sucks. I feel so bad for that controller too. He was harsh on the pilot and now he has to live with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

PT6A posted:

I know Disney and all that stuff is there, but I guess I just thought it wouldn't be that popular as to merit several direct flights from the UK.

It really is that popular. Growing up in the UK, everyone you know goes to Orlando.

• Locked thread