Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

overdesigned posted:

Got selected to fly jets at NAS Meridian today. A good day.

Congratulations, and good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You could take the long approach like my brother did, and get your double masters at Embry Riddle while teaching squids at Pensacola, all with the Marine Corps paying for it. Of course that means you have to be a career marine first, but hey, everything has it's price!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

overdesigned posted:

The price is high. TBS suuuucks.

If you are talking about The Basic School (officer training), he didn't go that route, he's NCO (Gunnery Sgt. I think, although he may have gotten the promotion to Master by now - I live far away so keep in contact less than I should).

At the end of this enlistment he'll be about 40 with 22 years in, a double masters, and since his entire career has been in the logistics side or teaching, I imagine he'll be able to get quite the nice job if he wants to keep working.

But yea, probably not an approach I'd suggest to get a degree (or two) at Embry Riddle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

What would N909DL need? A new nosecone, nose gear assembly & a wingtip, along with whatever minor, hard to see on TV damage happened?

Based on the picture posted in AI - This post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=711#post442415551

It sure looks to me like that entire left wing is a write-off. I don't work on airplanes, so I could be wrong.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

overdesigned posted:

Since they slid on to the runway wouldn't it be a runway INcursion?
:goonsay:

The excursion was from outside of the airport onto the runway!

PT6A posted:

"Hard landing" my rear end.

I dunno, I bet it was pretty hard, especially when they hit the poles and berm at the end of the runway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Access denied

You are not authorized to access this page.

:(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tide posted:

I have zero idea what this kid is saying, but she's having a hell of a good time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWDW18ygaw

If that doesn't bring a smile to your face, you are cold and dead.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

overdesigned posted:

Demanding all manufacturers refit their drones with transponders at their expense within 18 months isn't it, but neither is doing nothing.

Wouldn't every drone manufacture in existence simply close up shop, and then re-open as a different business after a while (or sell)? Or if a non-US country, simply flip Uncle Sam the bird?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

I don't think intentional exposure to wake turbulence is a consideration necessarily. The F16 buzzed him super close. The attention is supposed to be from the visual/noise. But, as you read, it did more to wreck the pilot's stability and force him to focus on regaining control instead of realizing he was being intercepted.

Why in the hell would they do that on short final anyway? Just get the tail number and report him to the FAA, don't cause him to crash. Jebus.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Those light craft clearly need larger control surfaces.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

froward posted:

Also why are there still two pilots on a lot of flights (even short flights!)

Every once in a while, the organic flight system controller ceases to function and the secondary organic backup system needs to take over.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34453146

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

azflyboy posted:

My first year pay was about $25K before taxes, which was one of the highest first year wages in the regional industry. This year, I'll make about $33k (plus another $3k or so in bonuses and per diem), but I'll never make more than $40k here until I upgrade to captain. Captains here start out making around $50k/yr, with the pay eventually topping out around $100k for them.

It's kind of frightening and horrifying to me that for sitting in front of a computer and documenting code defects (i.e. finding developer mistakes and making them fix em) that I get paid far more than a airline Captain starting out will be making. I mean c'mon, that's just ridiculous.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

According to the news article, that turbulence was bad enough that they transported 21 passengers to Calgary hospitals, 7 of them with serious neck and/or back injuries. So yea, apparently it was pretty severe turbulence.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Can someone please give a very basic explanation of what the different "part" numbers mean for dummies like myself who are not in the industry?

Thanks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RE: Part stuff - Thanks!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

You can remove your mailing address from the publicly viewable FAA Pilot database. Handy in case you don't want the KHOU news team flying to Moore, OK and camping in front of your house after you flat-spin a Cirrus at Houston Hobby airport.

If you flat-spin a Cirrus at Hobby, you really don't care anymore what the KHOU news team does.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Something something airframe parachute something something.

Given the airport, this one was somewhat more in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsY8D2Gc9AI

Edit, the radio traffic leading up to the crash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPo5yuLbvco

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I noticed this interesting place while flying around northern Nevada today. It appears to be an airstrip and a golf course out in the middle of nowhere. If the E-2 didn't need an entire aircraft carrier worth of GSE to get started, I would totally be planning a "proficiency" out-and-in flight out there.

GSE - Gas Turbine Systems Technician - Electrical? I can't figure out what else that acronym is for.

Also, that's almost in Idaho!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Animal posted:

:goonsay: theres some 737's there with scimitar winglets those were not in use yet. will not watch.

The two regional jets next to the Airbus at the gate, and another AA jet as it's taxiing all have the 2013+ livery too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, they did find that it might have been physically possible for an A320 to make "the impossible turn" but it could only be done in the simulator by a pilot that knew ahead of time when the engine would fail.

Also airbus test pilots are show offs.

What was the point of scenario 1? Just to demonstrate that they could actually fly the airplane with engines out? It seems like a dumb scenario to set them up on final approach when the accident was a bird-strike on departure.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PT6A posted:

Haha, Mount Royal always used to use beautiful Cut Bank, MT as the cross-border destination.

Cut Bank? What the hell. If you are going to land someplace in that vicinity, go here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...!4d-113.4264833

Walk up the road to the Babb Bar for the best god damned steaks on the planet earth (in the middle of loving nowhere).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

I wish I wasn't too old because I would apply in a heartbeat. :smith:

Me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PT6A posted:

Also, according to the article, the company had been overlooking poor results on tests, and did not investigate why both pilots had been fired from previous jobs. If you had pilots who were not up to standard, and you had them flying together, fault also lies with the operator.

PIC scored a failing 40% on a CRM test, and the operator recorded the test as a 100% in their records. That's a fantastic operator there.

• Locked thread