Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Sarrisan posted:

Huh. No diploma, unfortunately, but 15 credits isn't much. Thanks for the suggestion. I can take some meteorology courses and other related stuff as well, in case this doesn't pan out.

What are your career aspirations? Many mainline carriers (some of the few decent paying pilot jobs) will require or strongly prefer a college degree in order to be hired. And no, it doesn't make a lick of difference what the degree is in. Also be careful taking on any debt to become a professional pilot. It could take you +10 years to achieve a livable income. Always pay as you go and leave yourself an out.

Like others have said, unless you can't think of doing absolutely anything else with your life other than flying airplanes for crap money, be cautious. It sucks to put the rest of your life on hold because you just figured being a pilot was something cool to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

Awesome! How does them turning down the DL contract affect you (if at all)?

I'm wondering that too. What did they tell you about the future of the airline beyond next year?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

The question is why? What air carrier requires a single engine ATP? If you like to collect ratings though more power to you.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Kids couldn't be less interested in learning to fly airplanes these days. The piloting profession is screwed.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Rickety Cricket posted:

98% on my CPL written. I didn't study hard enough...

jk :toot:

You studied 28% too much.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Animal posted:

The True F-150 would be the Cessna-182. Just load it up and go.

Just remember to check for known icing first.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

As a passenger I also want my pilots to earn enough to not be worried about whether they're going to be able to pay their mortgage or medical bills.

At least Air Wisconsin pays a living wage after year 1.

Two Kings fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 4, 2015

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

PT6A posted:

As a Canadian, I just want to apologize again for the horror that is the passenger experience on a CRJ. God, those things are loving uncomfortable. Are they any better from a pilot's perspective, at least compared to alternatives?

I think the 900 is a fine airplane. It's got plenty of power to climb and it cruises faster than the Ejets, which is nice if its the last flight on gone home day. It's a real airliner.

I haven't flow the 200 but I hear it's a dog. Some guys that have flown both preferred the way the 200 handled. More like a sports car than the 900, which is like driving a freight truck.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

The JetBlue program is just so odd to me. It's unnecessary. Unlike in Europe there are thousands of qualified pilots working at the regionals, each with thousands of hours of experience in advanced jet aircraft that would like to work for JetBlue. This just seems like it's about control. As if JetBlue's prescreening and training them means they somehow "own" them like it works in China.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

The Slaughter posted:

Haha thankfully not that bad but my check was like $85. And I made about $200 flying that day. Woops.

If you're buying a round for the crew I assume you're a captain. In that case there's something very wrong if you're only making $200 a day.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

We have an Atlas guy here, right?

http://www.atlasfacts.org/the-catering-blues/

Is this for real? I think I'd start packing some Lean cuisines if those are the kind of crew meals you're actually getting.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Feeling pretty lovely today. I know I'm not that far into my PPL, but just logged my 7th hour and can't land for poo poo. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

That feeling happens to every one at one point or another. At some point things will click together. Could be at 10 hours. Could be at 30. Everyone is different. Landing is more about feel and sight picture than study. Just keep at it and don't get too discouraged.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Welcome aboard! It's a pretty good place to be right now. Going to NYC? I'll be upgrade training in August for the 200 at JFK. Build your time as fast as you can. Two year upgrades and dropping rapidly.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

vessbot posted:

Nah, no way me or my wife wanna move to NY. But we're very evenly split between Minneapolis and Detroit. Is it true from your perspective what they told us in the pep rally, that I can be virtually certain of bidding and getting the base I want within 6 months of starting, if I don't get it initially?

Congrats on your upgrade! When did you start?

Thank you!

That's how it has been lately. The movement should continue pretty steadily between the guys leaving for Delta and the new hires.

I started in Late 2014.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, military pilots! You might now be able to fly regional jets for just 500 HOURS!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/advisory-panel-would-relax-rules-for-co-pilot-experience-1472808602

This won't change very much. Most military guys are shooting for Majors or Cargo carriers and the larger airlines are happy to hire them. ALPA just has to keep the 1500 hr rule going as long as they can. In a few more years with all the retirements it won't even matter, the airlines will be hurting bad no matter what the laws are.

Cool that they have Paul Kolisch quoted in the article though. I don't agree with him in this case but the guy has probably forgotten more about flying airplanes that I'll ever know.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

PT6A posted:

That could be a pretty great airplane. How much less good at short field (and presumably hot/high/unprepared) ops is it forecast to be? That seems, to me, to be one of the not-insignificant advantages the PC-12 holds over competing planes. Mind you, I also look at this from a Canadian point of view -- I'm guessing it's not nearly as much of an issue in most of the US.

Eh, it's still important. Rich people like to go to isolated/lousy airports in the US too.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

vessbot posted:

Goddamn, someone please reassure me that real CRJ's fly easier than the sim :ohdear:

Yes. Use the autopilot as much as allowed, fly the numbers and cooperate to graduate.

The real airplane will handle like a dream in comparison. Especially the 200, which is very responsive. The 7/9 is a bit like flying a big rig.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

It's a shrewd play. This is the absolute worst time this could happen for Amazon. Hopefully that means a quick resolution. It's kinda cool, pilot strikes are so rare these days. How can you guys at Atlas make sure you're not going to be flying their routes?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Nuggan posted:

Had my first experience flying into bad weather this morning. 0/10 would not fly in it again.

I was trying to do my first solo cross country. Weather was fine where I took off, but about half way there I ran into an overcast layer around 3k feet with a broken layer underneath. I tried to see if there was a way around, but I would have had to be weaving between clouds or fly around 1500 feet, neither of which seemed like a great idea, so I turned around. That's when I realized a 35mph headwind isn't bad until you try to turn 180 in it. Made it safely back to my home airport but the weather came with me. Took me two tries to land in a gusting crosswind.

Overall I think I made good decisions about my own limits and turning around, but I wish I had made them sooner. The weather was much worse than reported, but I probably shouldn't have gone up at all.

Every pilot gets into scary moments like this. The important thing is you made the right judgement call and made it back safely. And learned something in the meantime.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

I probably should've called ahead, but the extent of my FBO call-aheads when doing XCs for time-building was telling tower or approach "8JA's goin' to Lane/Signature/Million Air".

A call in advance would make sure you don't get grossly overcharged, though. One of our 172SPs had a registration which was in Signature's system as a Lear 35 and the desk girl at IND was hearing no different. Thank gently caress I had a credit card to pay the $285 ramp fee in spite of insisting I was flying a motherfucking four-seat piston prop and even POINTING TO THE AIRPLANE ON THE RAMP TO THE RAMP GUY . :ramsay:

(I called them when I got back and whoever I talked to said "Wait, a 172's a single-engine, right?" :downsbravo: Our FBO manager had to fax them a form with the N-number, S/N, type, and a bunch of other stuff for them to update and I got a refund of $260.)

e- Also, pay your landing fee. I went on another XC and almost got stuck paying for whoever took that plane in there the last time and jumped the ramp fee. Our FBO picked it up when I called and had the two desk clerks talk over the phone.

Crazy. I feel like that could have been solved with a quick google search or asking a line guy.

When I was flying the Pilatus I used to jokingly ask for the single engine prop rate from the girls at the front desk and honestly some of them didn't know the difference between that and a skyhawk.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Mortabis posted:

In every company I've ever worked for, the company can change pay and things as needed and on an individual basis without having to negotiate with the whole body of employees. This isn't an issue with management; it's an issue with the fact that every employee is covered under the same contract. One key reason I'd never become a pilot: the silliness inherent in working for a unionized company. The fact that they can't give a normal $10k employment bonus to new pilots because there's a collective bargaining agreement in the way is hilariously weird.

The seniority system at airlines that ties pay and benefits to longevity at one particular airline requires that employees make a long term investment in working at one company. This should benefit both parties as the employee accrues higher pay and benefits over time and the company saves on training costs and gets an experienced and knowledgeable pilot they develop over time. This is the way airlines have been working for a long time and while it's far from perfect it's been the only way that's really worked out well.

When a company decides to just throw that agreement out the window with shady "pre-employment bonuses" outside of a CBA or threatens to basically kill an airline by withholding airplanes if the union doesn't shred up their collective bargaining agreement that is acting in bad faith. It's especially egregious when you do it to your own subsidiary. That shows how little you think of your brand and your employees. And your pilots are unlikely to forget.

Though then again maybe they are. Everyone at Envoy seems to go on and on about how great things are now when a year or two ago they were in the same boat as Horizon in a lot of ways.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Nuggan posted:

I'm sitting ina big airport waiting for a flight... can I flash my student license somewhere and be allowed in the pilot lounges?

Edit:Don't see a way in to the FBO now that I'm past security in he terminal.

This is a joke post, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

azflyboy posted:

It's an industry dominated by old white dudes, that has traditionally drawn a large percentage of said white dudes from the Air Force.

Ironic that it is also one of the most heavily and staunchly unionized professions in the US.

• Locked thread