Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Going for a jumpseat ride in my new machine (B737-900ER), mid-type rating at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

sellouts posted:

Auto landing?

Wait can't be as it's in single ch, right?

Good spotting! Correct, dual channel required for autoland. Though usually we would fly an ILS dual channel, even if not intending to autoland, so that we have automatic go-around capability (if you hit TOGA while single channel only then the autopilot disconnects and you've gotta handfly, at least back up to minimum 400' A/P engagement height). Not sure why the guys decided to only fly this one single channel :shrug:

The Slaughter posted:

It was probably me because I have strong feelings and recall debating that. I don't recall a PDF though, I dunno. PS: They're all interrelated but for primary training I teach pitch for your aiming point and power for your airspeed while on approach.

Yep, used to teach it the same way. Pitch for flightpath and power for airspeed, except when power is a fixed value eg. full power in a climb in the 172.

The 737 autopilot flies in the same way, eg. in a LVL CHG climb with climb N1 set, pitch sets the speed (based on input on the MCP), while on approach, pitch holds aimpoint while power (plus drag devices etc) controls speed.

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 23, 2014

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

sellouts posted:

So it's single channel but it looks like ap1 and ap2 are engaged at the same time? Whys that?

On this approach, both APs had been engaged in preparation for a dual channel approach. Initially, the AFDS annunciates (and the approach is) single channel. At 1500' RA, pitch and roll confidence monitor tests occur - basically ensuring maneuvering and fault monitoring capability. If the tests are passed, the system then annunciates CMD, indicating that the approach has now become dual channel.

Hence, at the point this shot was taken, it was still a single channel approach, but became dual channel later.

vessbot posted:

Any of y'all: Let's play a game. It requires:

- a 172
- a suitcase of 100 dollar bills.

It works like this: I use the first few bills to rent the 172, and we go flying. Then, I command you to set an airspeed of my choosing (could be anywhere from 1G stall to Vne). I give you a hundo as soon as you set it, and then give you another one for every 10 seconds you maintain it to an accuracy of a needle-width. This may last from a few seconds to a few minutes, at my whim. Then I think of a new airspeed and we rinse and repeat until the suitcase is empty.

The only catch is that I tie one of your hands behind your back. Which hand would you rather have available?

Right hand (if I'm in the left seat). Trim and power. More accurate speed control and my flight path won't be +-1000's of feet while doing so.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Kawachi posted:

Huzzah new thread!

I really need to stop being a slack gently caress and start posting some photos & stories of my bush flying gig!

Sweet, where you working at?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Kawachi posted:

I managed to land myself a job with a company up here in Broome. It'a been crazy for the hiring this year. Around 50 pilots looking for work!

King Leopold? Broome Aviation? Congrats dude. What plane are you on?

Pics? :)

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

A couple decent shows available on YouTube are "Worst Place to be a Pilot" about young British expats in Indonesia

My sim partner on the Saab was previously a captain at the company featured on this show. Says the show does a good job of making Indonesia and Papua ops seem less dodgy than they really are. All ops are supposed to be flown VFR - and just looking at the kind of conditions that spring up in that tropical, mountainous terrain with fairly close proximity to the ocean, you can imagine how impossible it must be.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Kawachi posted:

I'm at King Leo's. Mainly flying the 206 for the moment and probably start doing the 210 early next year too!

Here's some pics of the strips we go in to.
This lovely spot is Cape Leveque. About 800m long, it's narrow and does have a bit of slope on it. Super soft sand on the sides and trees are very close by.
http://i.imgur.com/UcC1JmP.jpg

This one is lots of fun. It's about 600m usuable and that tree you can see in the distance sits right on centerline.
http://i.imgur.com/y9m85Hf.jpg

I'm lucky enough to see some great sights when I'm out flying on the scenic tours. Check out The Horizontal Falls.
http://i.imgur.com/5WmWKQV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IASEqnJ.jpg

Spotted this in the waters of the King Sound.
http://i.imgur.com/j1qe1IT.jpg

Was great to cross off the Bungle Bungles from my bucket list too!
http://i.imgur.com/ISSQbKo.jpg

Awesome shots man. Real flying! I wish I'd done some flying up north, but I went straight onto the Saab in Asia after instructing down in Melbourne.

Are you doing mostly scenics or charters? How's it work when it comes to wet season, are the 206s IFR-capable?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

OP update please!

Thailand/Australia - ASEL/AMEL Commercial IR NVFR CFI SF34 B737-800/900ER - Airlines

Yes, I am now type rated on the 737NG :dance:

The sim is awesome, switch off all the FDs and automatics and fly it like a big Cessna on power and attitude. Can't wait to try the real thing starting from next week!

Tony Montana posted:

If you can talk about the paths available to us too, like is the normal progression private, instruments, etc.

I'm a guy in his 30s and I've always wanted to do this. I've got the means now to put myself through flight school but I want to talk to some Aussie pilots about what it's really like.

I'm Australian. Did my PPL and CPL in Sydney, instrument rating in Melbourne, did shark spotting in a 182 for a while then instructed airline cadets for two years before heading overseas and moving into airlines.

Kawachi has answered pretty much everything, but yeah, just to reinforce - the aviation career path in Australia is a lot tougher than almost everywhere else bar America. It is crazy expensive to learn to fly in Australia - figure on $300 per hour average, and you'll need around 200 hours before you'll be able to get your first job... you do the maths. Don't expect to touch anything with two engines until you have >1000 hours, and you'll be lucky if you get into an airline with 2500. On top of that, GA pay is absolutely loving awful - I took a 70% paycut from my old career to become a pilot, and it sucked even more than I thought it would. You'll also need to be prepared to forego any decent relationships or ability to live where you *want* to live - if you want fast progression you'll be living out in some backwards shithole in the desert for a year or more, or if you go the instructor route you'll be in a city but stuck flying crappy 172s and Warriors maybe forever, like some of the instructors I've met. Additionally, as Kawachi said, the industry in Australia sucks right now and has for a few years (although it appears there's starting to be a tiny bit of movement - Virgin Australia just started hiring a few SOs and FOs, and movement at the top end of the industry naturally leads to movement at the bottom end).

However! On the flip side and so I don't sound too gloom and doom (and the following isn't really Australia specific at all), flying as a career is awesome. Highly highly rewarding but you have to love it and be willing to sacrifice a lot to achieve it.

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 20, 2015

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Thank you Aussie pilots!

After much discussion with various people, my girlfriend put it like this. She is a professional diver and said 'most people don't make a decision about doing a Open Water course (first step) based on what an eventual career as a technical or commercial diver a decade or more down the road is going to be like'. Basically, go and do it as a hobby and get to Private and enjoy the ride.. but don't give up your day job and really don't count too much on ever making it into something beyond that.

If it happens and opportunities present themselves, great, but don't get too wrapped up in that at this stage.

Here is a video from a 747 American pilot answering specifically the question of 'Can I be an airline pilot if I start flight training in my 30's'. Can Americans tell me if this seems reasonable to them? Can the couple of Aussies tell me if our scene is like what this pilot is describing for the US?

I actually got in an argument with someone about this guy.. she was saying he sounds burnt out and old.. don't let his negativity impact your dream. I was saying he sounds pretty professional and I think it just makes the point of how realistically difficult and draining the whole thing is. What do you guys make of Captain Scott?

Yeah, it's pretty similar really. Becoming a commercial pilot tends to be something that happens organically through love of what you do, rather than a logical career choice as such (I started out only wanting my PPL so I could fly around during the day, and now I'm on the 737).

Overall what that pilot talks about in terms of high hour requirements, lack of guarantees of jobs, low pay etc., all is the same in Australia also. Being positive and motivated about what you're doing is important but realising the reality of how it's going to be is crucial too, and that video makes it clear that it's a tough journey, and even when you 'make it' as an airline pilot, it doesn't suddenly start being easy - you've still got recurrency checks, medicals and so on to worry about. As for whether it's possible to be an airline pilot if you start in your 30s, yes, definitely - my first instructor who started flying in his mid 30s is now a Captain on the Q400 with Qantaslink.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Yeah, I've got a few friends that fly private jets eg Hawker 800XP, Citation etc. Love what they do - they get a lot more variety of destinations than airline pilots, and often get to stay in nicer places for overnights. Newer equipment too. On the downside, on call 24/7 and some rough as hell shifts... been awake all day, then suddenly called out to fly a 4 hour sector at 1am? No thanks.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

hjp766 posted:

To clarify a bit... here the IR is imbedded in the type rating as part of the licence check. Under EU rules the IR on the type rating is a "Multi Pilot IR" So whereas I am allowed to fly on instruments and do LVPs and all that good stuff in a jet under euro rules as I no longer have a "Single Pilot IR" I can no longer operate my light aircraft (the correctly identified Single Engine Piston rating) under IFR...

The reason each type has a separate IR is the fact that the FMCs don't actually program the same way and three channel coupling is achieved differently (and then the CAA can charge more fees).

The rules are kinda similar in most countries, no? Australia recently changed to FAA-style part 61 rules requiring on-type reviews, so even though I did an ILS, VOR>circling and single engine handflown visual approach in the 737 sim last week, I can't go and hop into a 172 for a few circuits (let alone any kind of instrument approach) now since I haven't touched a light aircraft in almost two years. :rolleyes:

Pretty cool that you've got Airbus and Boeing ratings, btw. Difficult transition?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

During primary training?

After you realise you could've done like 50 round the world trips for the cost of your training?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

I did kinda like the whole 'after his single engine failed, he had no choice but to conduct a crash landing!' thing though. No poo poo!

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

azflyboy posted:

That's absolutely absurd, but pilot mills (and universities with flight programs) seem to have an obsession with making things "just like an airline".

When I worked for UND, students had to carry the course outline, the safety policies and procedures, as well as the standardization manual for the airplane with them (which was something like 30lbs), and I'm pretty sure their policies and procedures and standardization manuals (for a 2400lb piston single) were almost the same length as the ones I carry (as a PDF on an iPad) flying for an airline now.

I always felt bad for the guys instructing for the Chinese pilot mills in the Phoenix area, since they had to wear what looked like some stupidly warm uniforms in a climate that's absolutely miserable in the summer, without the benefit of usable air conditioning at low altitudes.

Thing is I'm yet to see any flying school that actually does things remotely like a real airline, even the schools that cater to airline cadets. Read and do lists for eg... the checklist in the 172 I used to teach in was longer (by a significant margin) than the one in the 737 I fly now.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Airline guys, what are some study tips you've used for Sim? I've had a hell of a time getting flows and call outs memorized during my first couple days this week. I spend a couple hours yesterday and today going over stuff in the paper tiger, but when I sit in the cockpit I freeze and can't think of a drat thing. :sweatdrop: how do I fix this before my sim partner and instructor kill me?

When you aren't at a trainer, get a big scan of the cockpit up on your iPad or laptop or whatever and practice the flows over and over again. Every time you mess something up, even the position of one light or switch, start again. You could also try drawing out or writing out the flow, depending on which way your brain learns best.

I've also found during training that sometimes I've needed to think of a logical 'trigger' to know which flow to proceed with. Eg. in the 737NG...

Preliminary preflight flow begins with IRSs (since they take a while to align, so they have to come first)
Preflight flow begins at top left of overhead panel
Before start flow begins with doors and windows (the trigger is cabin crew calling doors closed/cabin secure and captain confirming we're clear to pressurise hydraulics)
Start flow begins with packs (gotta ensure all bleed air is directed to the engines for start)
After start flow begins with generators (trigger is that the engines are now running, so time to get the IDGs online so we can switch off the APU)

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Today went slightly better, but still royally hosed up things like programming the FMS and managing emergencies. This morning we spent a good 2-3 hours going over flows and callouts before sim. A current FO helped out and it made a difference, but I think the problem now is keeping up with the aircraft. We did several ILS approaches to my home airport (I'm well familiar with the layout and frequencies) but ended up either high, misconfigured, or some other idiocy leading to bent metal :eng99:

Make sure you've got the procedures for approaches memorised (should be in your FCTM). There ought to be specific locations in a standard approach that you configure (eg. ILS in the 737, gear down flaps 15/speedbrake armed/missed approach alt set at GS alive, landing flap/landing checklist at GS capture).

Wouldn't say it's unusual to have FO-FO pairings - I don't think it's ideal either, though the justification I've always been given is that 'you're supposed to know the Captain's responsibilities and procedures anyway'.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

AWSEFT posted:

What happens when you fly into an airport not in the database? We have to disable our EGPWS at a handful of airports we go into.

Edit: Or you just crash into the airport.

Yeah pretty much this. We need to have the ability to turn off GPWS for certain airports or in certain non-normal procedures, so any autopilot function based around preventing further descent due GPWS could be rendered totally useless with the flick of a switch anyway.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why wouldnt the captain just gather like 20 people and heave-hoe that door down? It really seems there must have been SOME options if they really wanted to stop the guy

Cockpit doors are built to withstand a grenade blast and/or small arms fire. Good luck shoulder barging it down

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Airline ops to uncontrolled fields is still legal in Australia. The number of incidents involving weekend warriors popping up on TCAS, not making calls etc. in proximity to transport cat jets/turboprops is not insignificant.

• Locked thread