Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
That's bad it happened; even worse that it happened at night it looks like. :gonk: Good thing you made it.

AZflyboy, any way I can get ahold of you? got some questions about the Crash 8 and QX since I'm thinking of throwing my application in there in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Looking at the skywest gouges is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. Planning on going and practicing the profile at least a little closer to the interview and at some point I need to go through everything explained for the professional pilot again. Also, really need to memorize a bunch of Seminole stuff since it's the most complex airplane I've flown and it sounds like they make you draw lots of systems out.

Get some review time in a frasca 141, and practice the Burbank ILS approach. A lot. It's also going to help if aforementioned SIM has a twin setup like a PA44 or baron.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

If we get ab initio training in the states, it's going to be game over for GA flight training. Let's see how AOPA handles that one.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Freshwater Louie posted:

Thanks to tiny frail wires it looks like my Quiet Technologies Halo headset will not last a second Arctic winter. Reading up on ANR headsets it looks like the best bang for your buck is the Lightspeed Zulu.2. Is there anyone who has experience with them in extremely cold weather? With build quality and noise attenuation being my highest priorities is there another headset I should be looking at?

If you don't mind on-ear vs. over-the-ear, I highly recommend the DC PRO-X.

Meanwhile, in Lake Powell...

Yes, I pretty much meant IN Lake Powell. There's video of us flying in the canyons plus buzzing some backcountry strips if any one is interested.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Got an interview for PSA coming up in a couple weeks :dance: Also had one for Air Whisky, but they never called me back. Still waiting on Skywest, and I haven't even applied to Horizon yet...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

I've spent a good portion of the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how I wanted to respond to this. All I'll say is make drat sure you do your research before you show up for a class at PSA (Or any airline for that matter).

Well it's not Great Lakes :suicide:. What's your humble opinion? Any way I can talk to you in private so we both don't get in trouble?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

excellent post :golfclap:

You're right, I knew some of that already, but I didn't know the exact details of scope clause and the other nastiness. The main reason I'm going is to get experience and practice for other interviews, I just haven't had any firm interview offers from anyone else yet.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Update: Got interviews lined up for Air Whisky and Skywest, looks like PSA at this point will be just for practice!

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

I just discovered (and read through some of the threads there) of the regional subforum over at APC, oh my hell :suicide:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

One down, two to go :woop: conditional offer with ZW with a January 19th class, just gotta get enough time to meet mins.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

Outstanding! Having grown up near DCA I would love to start my career with ZW
I'll make sure to put in a good word for you if I work there and you decide to apply ;) DCA is definitely a domicile I would have no problem living in.

Animal posted:

Air Whiskey is good people. Congrats

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats. Good luck on the next two. How far from the minimums are you?
Thanks. Right now I'm ~60 hours away from meeting the FULL ATP mins for total time and X/C time. Also short a few multi hours but since I'm going to fly a friend's C310 for awhile, I figure that will kill multiple birds with multiple aircraft stones

AWSEFT posted:

Awesome! How does them turning down the DL contract affect you (if at all)?

Two Kings posted:

I'm wondering that too. What did they tell you about the future of the airline beyond next year?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yeah, what happened between Delta and Air Wisconsin? I was shopping sample itineraries last night for a conference my mom will be going to in the Spring and saw Air Wisconsin listed as the operating carrier on one of the segments, but now it's not happening?
Some of you already guessed the correct answer that AWAC didn't like it. And considering the history DL has treating some of their regional partners *cough ENDEAVOUR *cough cough* it might be for the better. The DCA chief pilot was helping with interviews and told us during the company presentation that as line pilots, they were pretty confident that AWAC isn't going away soon. Reasons being:
    -Redoing aircraft interiors over the next couple years
    -Loaned some more money to USAir/AMR a couple years ago so they are pretty much obligated into renewing our contract after it expires next year
    -Delta deal isn't completely dead, they may renew talks after New Year's
    -Own about half of the CRJ fleet and have good lease terms on the rest, so they're not hemorrhaging money like some other regionals out there.
There's still talk of relatively quick upgrade (~2.5 years) since attrition is moving at a good clip (10 CAs a month, some FOs going to majors as well). Considering how well the interview went and the CJO, I'm most likely cancelling the PSA interview and boning up on SkyWest instead. That way if SKYW doesn't go as planned, at least I have a good fallback to use! If anyone is interested I did post a gouge up on Aviation Interviews, it's Dec. 4 one to look for.

Also Kodiak, thanks for the input. I really hope you get somewhere with your current employer and TA. If not, well, we had a Piedmont guy in the interview, he hated it so much he was elated that he got hired at ZW. So maybe the grass is greener on the other side?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Did the Skywest interview, got a job offer a few days ago :toot:

Now I'm stuck deciding between two of the lesser lovely regionals, awesome. I'm trying to find pros and cons of each before making a final decision in a week or so.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

I've found that when making career decisions regarding airlines the best bet is to ask the most reliable source in the industry.

:cawg: When in doubt...I'll see if I can get Otto the autopilot to cover some of my groundschool

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Update on my aeronautical goonery buffoonery:

Official class date is the 26th with SKW for the CRJ...of course ZW is also expecting me to show up for class on the 19th, so I'm writing the thanks-but-no-thanks letter in another window. In the meantime I'm struggling with getting the last ~30 cross country hours to meet the full ATP mins, I'm probably going into full :derp: mode the next couple weeks. As if that's not enough, my boss just booked me a flight with a client looking for an IFR safety pilot. In his M20R. En route to Canada (Regina I think). Tomorrow.
I guess when it rains it pours? :jeb:

ethanol posted:

That's great info, thanks. Brings a question to mind... how many flight hours per year can I expect to gain as a cfi?

Sprague covered this pretty well, but think about what type of students you want as well. From my personal experience, I was averaging less than 300 hours/year instructing at the 141 college I graduated from, with typical college kids (the good, bad, and downright drunk partyers). If you decide to work at a pilot mill you can build hours wicked fast...I logged almost 800 hours in a year when I switched schools and started teaching foreign students (cough * :china: cough cough). Interesting experience to say in the least working with those guys...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Am I going to need to worry about eAPIS at all? I just need a passport and possibly the FCC radio license right?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Oh good. I sincerely hope this guy I'm flying with tomorrow has some of this in order since I have no clue how to handle eAPIS...isn't that what dispatchers are for? ;)

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Made it the great white wasteland known as lower Sasketchewan, only to have my flight home to SLC canceled in Denver due to weather :downs: At least I got to fly a GA plane I've really wanted to finally, and managed to survive -30 C temperatures to boot!

Rickety Cricket posted:

Congrats again! If you don't mind, what made you choose SKW over ZW?

Serious answer: more options in domicile choices, and slightly better future. SkyWest operates a diverse fleet for diverse majors, so they're not dead in the water if a legacy's contract changes or 50-seater flying becomes uneconomical. Plus most of my friends and excoworkers are at SKW :haw:

Comedy answer: Compared to the navy/silver trim ZW has for their outfits, I liked the black/gold uniforms for SKW better :whatup:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

Yay, tomorrow is NEW MEDICAL day! I love this new online registration that lets you think of every time you've ever been to a hospital and list it in detail.

Luckily I haven't had a complicated history, but man I could see this being hell for anyone who was a stupid kid.

*raises hand*

For you other regional guys, how hard is asking for vacation time/ time off? Please don't laugh, I have a wedding coming up at the end of June I'm supposed to be part of. And knowing this industry, I could easily see myself being denied the time off :(

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Started ground school today and I'm already :stonklol: at the amount of stuff we cover in the next 6 weeks

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

drat good advice
Much thanks. That's incredibly helpful, I'm going to save this post to my hard drive for ever and ever. poo poo, I should just print it out and tape it to the inside of my flight bag. Maybe AWSEFT should append this to the OP? :ninja:

Some questions up for anyone who wants to answer:

quote:

• Wear the uniform the way the company wants you to - yeah, even the hat. Your IOE Captain might not give a poo poo, but somebody who sees you during IOE/probation might. Save the individualism for when you're off probation.

What's a good recommend on shoes? I don't think these will quite work but they've been so drat comfortable the past couple years I've worn them. At least I bought the cap and blazer and SKW is giving us a couple shirts/pants! :tipshat:

quote:

• If you commute, don't be a dick while jumpseating. It is not yours - ask the Captain for a ride.
I've heard commuting with certain...carriers...can be kinda painful since SKW is nonunion and everyone else is. Any stories or stats if some carriers deny boarding more than others?

quote:

• Be extremely careful who you allow to access your pass benefits. Your cousin can act like a total jackass on your buddy pass and completely gently caress up your access to that benefit (which, admittedly, isn't worth what it once was).
If I put one of my parents on my travel benefits (which extends to like all the majors) who happens to work for UAL, is that going to screw up their benefits?

quote:

• Be somewhat reserved around Flight Attendants. Don't get your meat where you get your bread. NEVER have a conversation with a FA about anything discipline-related unless you have another pilot with you. Seriously.
dammit, I was already scoping out the new-hire FA class to see which one would become my future (ex)wife :laugh:

Animal posted:

Hopefully your company has touch screen cockpit trainers, that helped me a lot. Even the paper tigers help a lot for flows
Don't think they that fancy, but there's a metal mockup with actual switches and stuff :shobon:

KodiakRS posted:

Oh and if you end up on the CRJ remember to apologize to the ATC guys in here whenever you fly a 200.

Hey we fly 7s and 9s too :mad: Aren't you an RJ driver too? any pitfalls to watch for on the barbie jet?

And to Ferret King, fknlo, MrYenko, and every other ATC, goon or otherwise: I'm so sorry. :sweatdrop:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Animal posted:

Is anyone here who was an instructor for Chinese indentured servant ab initio students surprised by this? I am not in the slightest.

I never taught multi engine, but hearing the horror stories from my MEI friends doesn't shock me. One time at night one student was setting up to land on the lighted street perpendicular to the airport rather than the runway. I guess the cars on the road didn't clue him in?

Anyway, interesting thrust question: the cf34 gets roughly 85% of thrust from bypass air and 15% from core N2, according to my company's training material. What's the approximate pounds on thrust on this? I ask because one of my friends raised the question of whether this in regards to airflow (mass) or pounds thrust (force)? Any RJ drivers/mechanics want to tackle this?

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 8, 2015

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

In my case, I started ground school in early January, and finished the sims late February or early March.

Depending on which airline you go to, training may take significantly longer due to training backlogs, since I've heard of new hires at Skywest sitting for 4-6 weeks between ground school and starting sims due to a lack of simulator availability.

I was going to post that this wasn't the case anymore, but my sim partner dropped out so now I'm looking at an extra 2 weeks and having to travel to ATL. So yeah, 4 weeks is what we're still seeing here. At least I'm not a November hire, those guys were waiting up to two months between ground and sim.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

In the event you're stuck 4 weeks or 2 months in between ground and sim, is the company at least still paying you?

Yes, at least they're supposed to. It's probably why some people weren't upset they had to spend 3 weeks between ground school and SIM :ssh:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

gigButt posted:

Many of the SID's and STAR's at KDEN have cool fixes. Classic rock legends, phrases, etc.

Let's not forget the infamous COORZ departure, apparently pilots aren't the only ones who drink.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Compass interview is in just over a week. making GBS threads myself. Why did I set up my #1 choice as my first interview? I should have gone and interviewed with PSA or republic or something first as practice :/

Don't you already work for a regional? Anyway don't sweat it, go find and read the gouges, it can't be any harder than the 4(!) hour interview I had with SKW.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Airline guys, what are some study tips you've used for Sim? I've had a hell of a time getting flows and call outs memorized during my first couple days this week. I spend a couple hours yesterday and today going over stuff in the paper tiger, but when I sit in the cockpit I freeze and can't think of a drat thing. :sweatdrop: how do I fix this before my sim partner and instructor kill me?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Today went slightly better

AWSEFT posted:

Checklist responses along with the flow. Are you and your sim partner working together on the paper tiger?

So not just where they are but what to say (and what you're looking for). Just keep doing it over and over, then again. Tired? Again. Laying in bed, do it again. Wake up, again. Brushing your teeth? again.

Today went slightly better, but still royally hosed up things like programming the FMS and managing emergencies. This morning we spent a good 2-3 hours going over flows and callouts before sim. A current FO helped out and it made a difference, but I think the problem now is keeping up with the aircraft. We did several ILS approaches to my home airport (I'm well familiar with the layout and frequencies) but ended up either high, misconfigured, or some other idiocy leading to bent metal :eng99:

Is it unusual to have FO-FO pairings during sim training rather than CA-FO?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Today went slightly better

AWSEFT posted:

Checklist responses along with the flow. Are you and your sim partner working together on the paper tiger?

So not just where they are but what to say (and what you're looking for). Just keep doing it over and over, then again. Tired? Again. Laying in bed, do it again. Wake up, again. Brushing your teeth? again.

Today went slightly better, but still royally hosed up things like programming the FMS and managing emergencies. This morning we spent a good 2-3 hours going over flows and callouts before sim. A current FO helped out and it made a difference, but I think the problem now is keeping up with the aircraft. We did several ILS approaches to my home airport (I'm well familiar with the layout and frequencies) but ended up either high, misconfigured, or some other idiocy leading to bent metal :eng99:

Is it unusual to have FO-FO pairings during sim training rather than CA-FO?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Compass hired me and said call when I'm a month out from 1500 hrs for a class date. Anybody know any good aircraft I could rent dry on the cheap?
Pretty happy to get it as it was my first choice. 4 of us took the tests, 2 went home. Tough stuff.

Welcome to the 121 club :pilot::hf::yayclod:

Sim is going much better this week, I'm not dragging my partner down and our instructor is pretty chill. Plus, there's a three day break weekend coming up with another 4 day break before checkride. Now to back to studying profiles and callouts for the next 3 hours...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

DNova posted:

Why is that a garbagey trick? That seems like a completely logical and foolproof way to fly an arc around a point. I'm not instrument rated so I don't know what is "proper" in this case.

It's probably not "proper" because in the PTS it's based on being within one mile of the arc for tolerance, and there's no mention of DME speed. However as you pointed out there's nothing wrong with the alternative, I've been lazy enough in a G1000 (and in the CRJ during sim) to have the AP fly the arc and not switch nav sources until established on the final course.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Finally got the ATP sim ride done for my CL-65 Type Rating :hellyeah:
Now for differences training in the sim tomorrow to learn the idiosyncrasies more better features on the -700 and -900...AWSEFT if ya don't mind updating the OP ;)

Control Volume posted:

Fox News was on at the gym talking about this, someone made a tepid joke about how he "literally flew under the radar," then one of the talk show people quipped, "Well why don't they lower the radar?"

loving love news channels talking about aviation

:lol: between this and Asiana this week I've had much needed humor from the idiocy of others in aviation lately

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

e.pilot posted:

150hp Citabria.

:hfive: that and a Cessna 140 are the only taildraggers I've flown to date, but it's been a blast every time. Just try not to ground loop it....

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

The traditional path was military or regional.

There were some military guys in my ground school, a few of them actually were still active duty air guard.

In other news I started IOE this week, O'Hare wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. I'm still confused by the several hundred miles of taxiways though, and we got the penalty box for coming in early on our last leg :wtc:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Yup. Sort of. According to the METAR it was 1/4 at the time we shot the approach but both the AWOS and an actual person at the FSS located on the field were calling it 3/4 mile. Of course since we can't pull up a METAR in flight we had no way of knowing that it may have actually been lower than 3/4 mile. Not exactly the kind of thing that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

No ACARS or anything similar? :raise:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Holy poo poo Kodiak, that is just...wow...:staredog:

also, I'm ORD-based for the next several months so we should grab a beer sometime and bitch about work.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

I'd love to. My line this month is mostly non commutable and has 11 days off with 76 hours of credit. I need someone to bitch about work with.

Sent you a PM

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

About a quarter of the time I list for jumpseat at the gate, the gate agent usually says something like "You look young, are you a flight attendant?" :downs:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Animal posted:

FWIW its a great airline to fly standby as a flight crew. Their online syatem for checking loads is actually much better than any other carriers, and they are nice to flight crews.

KodiakRS posted:

Was just about to posts this. You usually get the exit row due to the fact they charge extra for it and the overhead bins always have plea fly of space. Also their crews are usually new and not those crusty 20 year airline vets who are constantly pissed off that you tend to run into at most other airlines.

I've had the same experience on Frontier, obviously the way to travel on the cheap carriers is to jumpseat :smug:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I know the CRJ-200's weren't making that much money before the altitude restrictions, so I'm sure burning the extra gas by flying at turboprop altitudes isn't going to help SKW's financials at all.

Yep. Those restrictions were likely put in place because some crews were having problems paying attention to their airspeed at higher altitudes (where there's a smaller margin between the cruise and stall airspeed), so Skywest is basically trading higher fuel costs for reducing the odds one of their crews does something stupid and makes CNN.

Correct, which is why I did a massive :ughh: when I opened my work email yesterday and saw that must-read bulletin. We've gone from cruising at FL410 in all CRJs to the latest reduction today because some idiots pilots forget that the CRJ doesn't have autothrottle, so they'll set it and forget it until the stick shaker goes off. Also creepy that you and kodiak knew about it almost as soon as I did, ya'll read the APC forums on a daily basis or what :tinfoil:

MrYenko posted:

Please tell me that while they've capped their -200s at FL280, they're still maintaining their RVSM certifications, for maximum :ironicat:.

I'm sure we will, I'll check with MX control when I go back to work next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Hold at 11000, because in case of lost comms you're at the highest (safest?) altitude.

• Locked thread