Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Uh, do 152s fall under the same category as 150s?

(in case you can't read the altimeter, WingX Pro has a handy GPS altimeter readout :ssh: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Well they have 10 more horsepower. I see you're wearing gloves. I'm guessing no passenger and partial fuel.

That and it was over Colorado in mid January :shudder:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Wasn't the RR300/RR500 supposed to be a replacement for midrange piston engines? I've seen a few centurions and the like with those conversions installed.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

The E175 has a really nice passenger experience, with the 2 lavs and the fairly spacious seating and actual overhead bins. I like it better than the CR9's I have been on. Whoever designed the main cabin door was an idiot, though, it's really easy to get your finger sliced off in that thing if you aren't paying attention.

Or if you're a flight attendant, accidentally deploying the slide like some of our FAs did :laugh:

Also CRJ chat: one of my sim instructors had good descriptors for the variants: the -200 is the classic, the -700 is the stretch, and the -900 is the heavy.

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 4, 2015

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Tablet chat: currently rocking an iPad mini, but I almost never use it flight. The Jepp binder fits well enough on the side clipboard in the CRJ, but we're supposed to be getting Surface 3 tablets with the ridiculous suction cup mounts any day now :chloe:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Is it just me or do dead airplanes and dead birds look similar, with having their feet sticking up?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Try not to get confused with the submarine/yacht captains out there, Slaughter

Animal posted:

After all that bitching and moaning he finally made it to the regionals! Congrats!

Now bend over here comes scheduling

Hence no better name than "Screw Support"...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

Since the industry has finally shifted towards a "pilot's market", the management strategy of "threaten to give the flying to someone else unless the pilots take pay cuts" is completely toothless right now (since regionals can barely staff their current contracts, let alone add any new flying) , to the point where even a non-union regional had to offer their pilots a pretty nice pay and benefit increase to try and attract enough new people to keep up with attrition.

the $30h/hr pay raise is pretty good for us first year guys, but the 1.5% for everyone else was kind of insulting I thought. A lot of my colleagues over at Angry Pilot Central (not my nickname for that place unfortunately) were dumbfounded it passed on the second try.

Not looking forward to the brewing shitstorm over at RAH. We might have a few of E175 drivers knocking on our door soon, or a lot of new flying suddenly smacking us in the face in a couple months :derp:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

Jetblue policy is not to use reversers unless required due to runway contamination or length. The reasoning being brake usage is better than engine wear.

Also one of the reversers could have been MELed so neither would be used.

Really? almost the opposite SOP at my company. We almost* always deploy reversers on the CRJ, before using brakes, and we still use them even if one is deferred.

*It should be always, but there's a few times crews have forgotten to arm them on descent so on landing it's a bit of an awkward surprise when they don't deploy...oops :ninja:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Not to mention $4.9 million, but at least both sides of the company are glad he's out!

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Republic, probably

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Rev. Bedford likes to end emails in a laid back manner maybe?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

PT6A posted:

God willing, US politicians will be banned from flying because they seem to be really poo poo at it.

Careful, you'll piss off Apollo, he'll obviously argue that it was all the FAA's fault somehow :bahgawd:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

quote:

ORD insanity

Oh man, where to start...People complain about landing and getting to the gate, but how about getting out of the ramp and to runway? I once worked with an ex AA captain who was ORD-based, he and his FO one day had a helluva time trying to go from ramp to ground and get a taxi clearance. So what did they do? They gunned their 737 into an opening between two other AA aircraft taxiing by and followed them all the way to the departure runway without speaking to ANYONE on ground. Switched to tower, and rather than being reprimanded for getting all the way there without a clearance, they simply get cleared for takeoff with nary a fluster from the controller. :ninja:

Earlier this summer flew into Chicago and it was a shitshow, apparently some new controllers were training on ground frequency. Captain was already impatient and irked at the longer-than-usual delays, so he makes things worse by snapping at one of the controllers for a taxi clearance to the gate. Pissed, the controller gives us the long way around the airport as punishment, but it ended up being a shorter time to the gate since our original taxi route was a complete cluster. Oh yeah, and the captain thanked the controller for the "shorter" routing :stonklol:

Most days I don't, but some days I do miss the absolute beautiful SNAFU O'Hare can be when you're flying in/out of there.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

The loving Truth

I agree to all this and more. Yeah it sucks being away from home and missing all the holidays, your friends and all that but sometimes you get killer views like this:

azflyboy posted:

I currently fly for a regional with a parent company that's making record profits, and their management is threatening to park 40% of our airplanes and outsourcing the flying to a non-union airline unless agree to concessions in our contract, which is a pretty good example of the lack of stability in this industry.

I work for said non-union carrier, and I think it's lovely that AAG is basically forcing you guys to go with this. It happens all too often in the airline biz that Major X threatens Regional A with switching flying to Carrier Z unless they chicken out and decide to cut costs with sometimes dire effects (see Pinnacle, Colgan, etc). So unless you really like working for the lowest bidder and constant whipsawing between companies, don't pursue an airline job.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Yeah they've been around awhile, I regularly see these two (star marked with arrows) flying in and out of Missoula at night

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Stupid Post Maker posted:

A bunch of guys from my company went to Compass. I want to go home to Chicago for at least a year though

We have a $1250 referral bonus over at OO too :ssh:

Not only that, but we also have bases in ORD and LAX and everywhere in between. Plus we just scored a 19+ E175 contract with delta, so back off slaughter :arghfist:

seriously though people should PM us regional guys if you want to work for us (what are you thinking:downsgun: ) and want a cut of the referral pie

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

hey, I just want my referral bonus, i don't really care who comes here. i think ORD is pretty junior with skywest though so if chicago is your thing it's probably better.

That and MSP are the most junior domiciles we have, I became a lineholder practically instantly when I was assigned there off of training. If you end up on the mighty CRJ, that is, otherwise it might be a bit different on the Embraer in terms of seniority and bidding.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Yay I'm flying into a blizzard in Denver wooo. Haha just kidding I'm ground delayed for an hour at least. What a mess.

I'm just glad that somebody wiser than us decided to cancel our Denver turn out of SLC, but now we've been sitting in SeaTac for the last 4 hours :byodood:

E: annnnnd we just got further delayed due to MX issues, oh joy

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 18, 2015

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I got to spend today getting the crap kicked out of me in SEA and PDX, (plus some Montana for good measure) with moderate turbulence, moderate icing, 30kt gusting crosswinds, and lots of hand flying when the autopilot decides that it doesn't want to work in turbulence any more.

Adding to the fun was a 153kt headwind from BZN to SEA, which meant a 200kt ground speed, and two hours of completely random patches of moderate turbulence.

Much better weather today, but we swap into the same CRJ giving us issues yesterday and end up canceling. yes, same MX issue as yesterday...leaving us in Spokane for an unexpected 18 hour layover, boy this trip is ending up full of great surprises :rolleyes:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

They can't re-run the bid because the vendor can't guarantee the same thing won't happen again.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/11/28/american-airlines-computer-program-botches-flight-attendant-holiday-schedules/
[/quote]
PBS by AOS eh, we've had that for years here and it's always fun hearing how people never get what they bid for :dealwithit:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Welp there goes the jumpseat for a lot of commuters, I wonder if ALPA will have a say if the RAA lobbies hard on this?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Yeah, but according to the flyer I just got in the mail from Trans States if you interview with them you get a $50 amazon gift card! Totally worth decades of crippling student loan debt.

If I got two of those, does that means I can get $100 after the interview? :rolleye:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Animal posted:

They will still offer him the job as long as he meets can hold a license, medical, and has the time.

Don't forget the ability to fog a mirror

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Apparently somebody around DFW transmitted the Muslim Call to Prayer over GUARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD and caused everybody monitoring 121.5 to miss radio calls.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one that heard it, I couldn't stop laughing for a minute straight. Still beats all the stupid family guy soundbites that somebody kept looping on Christmas day.

KodiakRS posted:

The best part about working on Christmas? Getting to wear a Santa hat while in uniform knowing that the only people who care work in the chief pilots office and are all taking the day off.

Our FAs wore those hats, and after telling them we don't work for southwest they threatened to get me drunk and wear one while singing carols when we got to the hotel :gonk:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

To be fair, letting birds loose on an airplane is a really bad idea

Thanks, I laughed way too hard at this, especially after sitting here in Portland. Seattle diversions due to fog are just awesome :suicide:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Stupid Post Maker posted:

After nearly a year and a half of splitting hotel rooms with other pilots I thought my move to the airlines would stop it. Then I find out Skywest has double occupancy during training.

Or you could cough up the extra $700 or so to get some privacy...are you doing training in SLC?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Enjoy the CandleHood then, try not to stay out too late on North Temple, and I'm down for drinks if I'm not out on a 4 day :)

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

Aviation Megathread: Professionally Poor Forever

Aviation Megathread: Student Loan Swandive

Aviation Megathread: Practicing Income Stalls

Aviation Megathread: Office With a View, of Poverty

Aviation Megathread: Living the Dream HAhaha... gently caress.

Not bad, my proposals:

Aviation Megathread: Air Traffic Control Services brought to you by LockMart©

Aviation Megathread: Catfights at 37,000 feet

If you don't know what the last title refers to, the AV Herald has a good summary about a particular Delta "incident".

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Animal posted:

Angry Pilot Central is such a poo poo forum. Everyone who posts there must have high blood pressure.

Fixed it for you, I usually read it for the entertainment value and to see which latest airline rumors are the most hilarious.

Also congrats on the checkride successes, it gives me hope when I have to go to recurrent in April and renew my CFI in May :gonk:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

That's sickening. Not just because the pilots at RAH fought hard, but that my management predicted the future correctly, and somehow will manage to pick up the extra flying RAH will inevitably drop in/out of Chicago :barf: Well at least my coworkers who have been sitting reserve on the E175 will probably be busy this summer...

When's the last time we saw a regional collapse? Comair? ASA?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

azflyboy posted:

The "battle for Seattle" has also completely overwhelmed the existing international arrivals facility (and the rest of the terminals), so Seatac is generally a terrible place to spend any length of time.

Still beats the hell out of O'Hare though, I've yet to be put on hold for a gate everytime I've been through Seatac. Although it's a bit ridiculous that my last couple trips have spent way more time in Seattle than in my home domicile :what:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Adding one more reason to the "gently caress Seatac" list, getting a wind shear warning yesterday on final, so ending up going around and vectored for a very bumpy second try. At least I got adoring looks from the FAs for not crashing the plane...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

Congrats on the ATP! :toot:

Couple questions for you career guys:

Anyone here work for or know anyone that flies for Skywest and can vouch for the quality of life?

Anyone ever leave an on-call 135 gig and regret it?
*ahem*:ninja:
I can paint a pretty picture like some other guys do, or I can give you some facts and observations like some of us here have of our respective carriers. Where do you live? Chances are OO has a domicile in a city near you, and we just upped first year pay to $36.50/hr. I'll add more if you PM me, or when I get to a physical keyboard instead of typing on my phone :)

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 21, 2016

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

I live in Nevada, but I hate it. I would love to live in Tucson or any west coast state.

Great, that gives you SFO, LAX, PSP, FAT, SEA, PDX as domicile choices. We have PHX and TUS bases too but those are shrinking and might be difficult to transfer into as a new hire. SLC isn't exactly west coast, but it's good if you like outdoor poo poo such as skiing, hiking, biking, etc. Attrition is currently about 30-40 guys a month, so we're not stopping hiring anytime soon. Upgrade time right now is down to 3-4 years, which isn't far of from the other carriers. As for bonuses, yeah we have a referral bonus plus type bonus if you hold a CL-65 or E175 type rating. As for reserve, well that's going to suck anywhere, it's just a matter of how quick you can hold a line. Personally, I didn't even sit reserve a whole month when I started flying, and I only sat reserve for about ~3 months in SLC (one of our most senior hubs) before holding a line. I even broke guarantee without trying to all three months, while a buddy of mine flew maybe 5 hours one month because he wanted to. The myth that seniority gets worse the further west you get is quickly evaporating, we're adding E-175s every month for Alaska and United flying on the west coast with some additional Embraers for Delta coming online later this year in LAX and SEA.

Ok, now let me poo poo all over the good stuff I just said. PBS is our scheduling software and it suuucks. You'll almost never get exactly what you want, so you learn to compromise very well when it comes to bidding. It gets better as you build seniority but only slightly. Crew Support is notorious for being bipolar towards pilots, I've had some very helpful guys and some cunts that'll make you want to :suicide: Non-union is a prickly subject, I like not having to pay dues and dealing with workplace politics (ALPA at both the regional and major level, :lol: ). It kinda is rough not having representation sometimes though, having legal recourse if poo poo hits the fan or a MEC to work towards better pay and QOL packages would be nice.

Even with all that, I like it here. Most crews I work with are cool and most of the trips I have are in cities like Vancouver, ABQ, NAshville, etc, so I'm almost never bored on overnights looking for things to do :quagmire:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

How much time does somebody spend in the sim during initial training? It can't be much they're asking to get credited.

You can count up to 25 hours multi-engine time in a full motion sim according to part 61.159 for the ATP license. Total time in the sim for IOE ranges from 20 to 50 hours or more, depending on the person...

e: goddamit forgot to refresh the page before posting, at least I cited a reg :mad:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Hey, that reminds me that I got a couple emails from QX a couple weeks ago, let's see what they say...

Oh. Maybe they figured out I was already hired and working for the competition? :tinfoil:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Heh, look at you noobs using charts and such for density altitude. Us REAL pilots have ACARS for that :smug:

simble posted:

It is dumb. I think they're changing out a bunch of questions and enlarging the question bank next month though. At least for some tests.

Disclaimer: FAA

It goes live June 13, and some of the questions are...interesting: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/PARSampleExam.pdf

especially this gem:

The Feds posted:

28. The destination airport has one runway, 8-26, and the wind is calm. The normal approach in calm wind is a left-hand pattern to runway 08. There is no other traffic at the airport. A thunderstorm about 6 miles west is beginning its mature stage, and rain is starting to reach the ground. The pilot decides to
A. fly the pattern to runway 8 since the storm is too far away to affect the wind at the airport.
B. fly the normal pattern to runway 8 since the storm is west and moving north and any unexpected wind
will be from the east or southeast toward the storm.
C. fly an approach to runway 26 since any unexpected wind due to the storm will be westerly.

those smarter among us would realize the correct choice is D. Divert to another airport dumbass, wind shear is coming

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Well I just had to fill out a fatigue report for the first time in my career. I guess it's a good thing that part 117 gave us, but it sucks that I'm gonna have to use sick pay/ vacay time to recoup what I forfeited. Oh well, I'm just gonna say that us flight crews dislike flying United as much as the passengers sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

So what's going with delta today?

They finally get to enjoy what's happened at southwest, United, and American: computer failure!

• Locked thread