Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Am I late to the CAP is stupid chat?

I watched a high ranking whatever officer chop up a pair of cowl intake plugs while doing a run up, which was funny. Dude didn't even take the big red "TAKE THIS OFF" thing off the plane. It would've hosed the engine if the prop didn't happen to pull it out.

Countless tie down ropes chopped up in front of me.

A constant joke was "hey let's see how far they can taxi before they have oil pressure." Basically going 1800 rpm while starting.

Helped salvage a plane after they put it down in a field from water contamination. They pulled like a gallon of water out of the tank because it didn't have a fuel cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bunnyofdoom posted:

During my preflight yesterday, I banged my head on the flaps. So, yeah, never again will I do a preflight!

(Of course I'm loving joking about not doing them anymore. )

Yeah that's normal. Between being a mechanic and a CFI my scalp probably looks like a cantaloupe.

"Pretend badass" is a good term for the CAP. I'm stealing that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

The True F-150 would be the Cessna-182. Just load it up and go.

Yeah my favorite airplane ever was a 1966 182J my dad had for a brief while. It was old and ratty and so much fun...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Serious question for the corporate guys: what would be the odds of me pulling a part 91 Learjet job (right seat) with about 800 total time and a pic type rating in the aircraft.

I obviously wouldn't have my ATP. I work for a training facility (not going into too much details) that is going to be giving me a type rating soon as a bonus. Problem is my schedule has been so inconsistent and unreliable here for the last few months that I haven't been able to schedule any flying at my CFI job to build time. It's starting to wear on me, and I don't make enough at this one job to be financially comfortable. I'm just exploring options.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Depending on how willing you are to travel I'd say pretty good. I know guys that got hired with less and didn't have a type

Nice! I am willing to travel as long as it's in the 3 states I like (joke.) I've just cracked my logbook open and realized I flew 7 total hour in July because of how unreliable my scheduling is.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

Air cooled engines typically have slightly larger piston/bore clearances in general, and aircraft engines tend to have even bigger clearances than car engines. The biggest factor is honestly just fifty years of engine development. Aircraft piston engines from Lycoming and Continental are almost universally using ring packages that were originally designed when there was a Kennedy in the White House.

Yep. Development and certification of aircraft anything is expensive, and why bother with a long and painful process when you already have something that works.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

These things are impossible to break. And when you do? 30 dollar replacement parts. Hilarious.

How long have you owned it?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

simble posted:

I promise that they were tied down.

I am so fired.

Edit: This post is a joke.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 13, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How do I add big white text to a picture that says "Embry ROFL"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've done a lot of micro switch work when I was working as an a&p. Not guaranteeing you it's a switch but man those things are pretty rinky dink.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ah that's awesome! Congrats you crazy animal!

post that pic.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well I might be leaving my training facility soon to sit right seat in an LR60 for salary.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's official, I start my 135 charter gig in the Lear 60 at the end of the month.

Oh my god I can start paying my debt off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xaarman posted:

Ceasing my ATP training here, extremely unsatisfied with the school - enough for me to walk away in the middle of it. I'll resume when I get back to Oklahoma >8|

Are you talking about the ATP flight school or the ATP rating?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Once you have them memorized, rattle them off while bouncing and catchup a tennis ball. Helps you recite it while actually doing something with your hands when it comes time to practice.

Worked for me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my school rented two new 172s. One is a P, and one is an R with 160hp and fuel injected and made in 98 and oh my god I am in loving love, and I kinda wanna to take i and fly it everywhere. (For context, been flying M and N
')

Nice! Go enjoy them, that's what this craps all about.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow, what a lesson to be learned.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey congrats. I want a trip report the first time you do an intro flight or fly with a complete stranger. It's surreal.

Small accomplishment today: I passed my initial 293.(a) with my company. My first of many 135 checks and I got some great compliments from the FSDO on my aviation knowledge :D

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 9, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Flying US Airways back to my new apartment today because I just passed my first 135 checkride.

I can finally get going in the LR-60.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

tenaciousvigilance posted:

Kind of a long shot, but anyone in this thread live near KBUF and interested in selling part of their airplane or finding a partner to buy one?

I'm looking for something similar to a Mooney M20C/E/J mainly used for cross countries.

Hey careful man if you say the M word too many times you'll summon-

Oh poo poo never mind.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Made it to FL430 yesterday, it's always cool to break your own personal altitude record.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dexter6 posted:

First time poster in this thread...

First off, thanks for the first post. Lots of good info there, and I've enjoyed reading it.

My main question - I'm in a stable career now in IT and I'm 31 years old. I'm considering changing careers and becoming a pilot. It seems like I could spend a few years as PP before making the cutover, but is it worth it?

Has anyone seen someone become a commercial pilot who is a geriatric like me?

What is spending a few years as PP? In the meantime, I'm writing a real response.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dexter6 posted:

My main question - I'm in a stable career now in IT and I'm 31 years old. I'm considering changing careers and becoming a pilot. It seems like I could spend a few years as PP before making the cutover, but is it worth it?

OK here's my long post: I love flying. I love my job. I went to work today, flew a jet to the mountains, flew back, got home at noon and I made pretty good money doing it. This rocks.

That being said, the last 3 years were the most difficult of my life. I'm 28 and I don't think I could go through it again. I took out a loan to get my instrument, commercial, multi and CFI ratings and it crippled me for the next decade. I'm not trying to dissuade you from a really fun job, just know that the initial struggle is very real. I don't mean deciding not to eat out that night, I mean deciding which bills you're going to not pay that month. If you want to build the flight time without it costing more than the 80k you're already going to spend, you're probably going to have to become a CFI and teach. I was initially excited to be an instructor until I saw what it was like to work full time as one. Teaching as a hobby is fun, doing it solely for income is stressful. Is it stormy outside? Did your student get sick? Did the plane break? Guess what? You probably made roughly 0 dollars today, even though you spent all day at the airport. Busiest time to instruct? Weekends. Say goodbye to those, I literally spent my first year as a commercial pilot without getting a weekend off. Not one. I made about 9k. Losing both all of my income and all of my free time slowly cost me a lot of relationships, and moving for my first real offer sealed the deal on the rest. I've moved again since then.

I'm not trying to be a downer at all, and it will be different if you take it slow and have a back-up job for income, but God drat do I shutter sometimes when I think of the process it has been. This career is not something you do when simply seeking change, it will chew you up and spit you the gently caress out if your heart isn't in it completely.

Phew, that being said, I have a decade's experience between being a line worker, A&P mechanic, flight-school instructor, private instructor, [huge jet pilot training facility] employee and part 135 jet pilot. Ask me anything pertaining to any of those and I'll happily answer the best I can! I hope you can make it work and enjoy it if you decide to do it. All bullshit aside, I'm excited to go to work tomorrow.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Put a V tail on your car and drive it off the roof.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The "notes" section for an upcoming 135 trip states that the client wants to be addressed as "sir."

:jerkbag:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's not really that bad, even famous people have been 99% cool. Every once in awhile you do get a lady fresh off the first Titanic lifeboat...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Guard got me good, too.

Guuuuarrrrd.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You can trade some good/bad things around and consider corporate aviation or 135 charter instead of airlines.

I make more than what most captains start at and I only work about 3-4 days a week, usually 5-6 hours a day when I do, aside from today because I went across the entire country. I usually go to cool places, have all my meals paid for and stay in actually nice hotels. I'm also on an airplane that is very fun to fly.

Downside is zero job security and next to no schedule. I have tomorrow off because the airplanes down for routine maintenance but usually you can't count on time off enough to plan something fun. If I stick around this jet and upgrade It'll be about a +75% raise, but when the economy takes a poop I'll be the first to go. Just hope your company pays for enough upgrades before you move on.

I may go airlines, especially if I ever have a family. Probably not though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Happened to grab a pretty cool cellphone pic at FL450 the other day.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They usually do. I'll have some long clearance in the box, get climbing through into the 40s and then it's just kinda "eh screw it just go to the first point on the arrival."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had an interview for a regional airline at like 200 hours that wanted me to sign a 2 year contract that took effect when I got my ATP.

He looked surprised when I was just like "no?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I told them my greatest weakness is that I get erections in awkward situations.

After 5 seconds I knocked on the bottom of the table.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You're still going to deal with a lot of paper, but here goes.

Buy Foreflight along with the geo-reference subscription. It's an extra hand to hold while learning taxiway diagrams and instrument approach.

Buy a paper sectional to play with and to learn how to plot long flights. Use Foreflight once that expires to save money on paper charts until you have to buy one again. You might get away with using only Foreflight and never having to buy an AFD or plate book. Learn how to read an AFD online anyways. it's pretty simple. Plates on the iPad are going to be the same so you're fine there.

You're still going to need an E6b and plotter. also buy a knee board, plenty of pads, and 500 pens. Put 10 pens in your flight bag, one in your pocket, one in your headset case, you get the idea. it's funny to watch student pilots get caught with their pants down and their pen somewhere that they can't find it.

Buy a paper copy of the far/aim, private pilot PTS, pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge, and airplane flying handbook. These books specifically. They're FAA certified and you can use them on your checkride, including things you write/highlight in them. It isn't cheating and they like to see that you put the effort into learning how to reference these things. Buy little tabs and highlighters for your far/aim. It's the most boring book ever but if you come to your checkride with yours all tabbed out and you know how to find things, you're getting a gold star.

Buy a comfortable headset. Emphasize comfort over price. I originally used some hand me down David Clarks and they were fine.

UV blocking sunglasses. Cheap lovely sunglasses are worse for your eyes than no sunglasses. Also sunscreen for your face. Also a hat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Don't succumb to Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Buy only what is necessary. I also recommend Foreflight. Don't buy $1k headsets, just get something comfy. Buy the $1k headset later on if you are gonna work in loud planes for a living (I did this too late and now I will have tinnitus for the rest of my life.) Always spend your money on flying, not un-essential gear, unless you are rich. If you are rich, buy your flight instructor a nice gift when you get your license.

... And this wicked sick Garmin aviation GPS watch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I forgot to recommend the knee board that has VFR info written on in like Yenko said. The only hiccup I had on my commercial checkride oral was when he asked me to talk about light gun signals, which I didn't know at the time.

I stared at him for about 5 seconds before just saying "I don't remember, but I have them on my knee board?"

"Ok, good, moving on."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CharlesM posted:

Do iPads ever crash?

Our app crashes if we're connected to our jet's wifi when it shuts itself off at 10k feet. I just go back to airplane mode if I remember on the descent, or I just reload the app, which takes 2 seconds.

We also have a charger and are required to have 2 working iPads on board for our program, so there's never been an issue. We have enough avionics onboard to where losing an iPad isn't an emergency even if it did happen.

Student pilots alone in a small plane, however, should never use it as more than an additional resource.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Haha neat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy cow, people. If your pilot decides not to take a flight because of very hazardous weather, don't get a drat attitude and argue with him about it.

Guess which state I'm stuck in!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Texas, land of all seasons?

Correct!

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So at what point of adding parallel runways do they begin to wonder about incursion? I've been to airports with 3-4 parallels and it isn't a pain, but 8?

• Locked thread