Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hadlock posted:

The light aviation engine industry is probably long overdue for a big shake up.

This is going to happen in the form of electric propulsion. It will be a while yet, but it is inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I wish I had the requisite skills to become an A&P but I'd be basically starting at zero. Like, I could maybe manage to do a brake change on a domestic car without watching youtube videos or reading a Haynes manual or something. I changed the oil in my plane once (and was very proud of myself for it) but now it has a spin-on oil filter which means safety wire and I don't know how to deal with that. Bleh.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Nope.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

I've always wondered if there was a market for a ~200HP turbo prop engine. I know they make them for R/C airplanes but I have no idea if they would be a feasible replacement for something like an o-360.

If you want a higher TBO engine with like double the fuel burn, then yes.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What are the best choices for kit planes that are not too hard to build for an amateur, but will also sell for a decent profit when complete?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Anyone else have bizarro flying dreams? I am a very vivid dreamer and I have a few recurring aviation dreams:

-Plane can't climb: I'm flying a few dozen feet off the ground, barely avoiding power cables and buildings, for some reason unable to climb.
-Land somewhere stupid: Land the plane, realize taking off from here is impossible. Also there's no 100LL available.
-Backseat flying: Plane is in cruise or taxiing but I'm in the back seat for some reason??
-Brakes don't work: Can't stop the plane from slowly taxiing into a collision with a hangar or a fuel pump or whatever. Engine refuses to idle usually too.

I recently had one where I landed on a nice little path in a park, and taxied past a snack stand to get some 100LL. While I was dealing with the pump, I realized that I had somehow suffered serious prop strikes (in my tricycle gear 172) during taxi. Waking up from that was quite a relief.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Popular Science October 1971. Lots more airplanes in this issue, too.
https://books.google.com/books?id=XgEAAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&client=firefox#v=onepage&q&f=false

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

simble posted:

http://www.kpho.com/story/29768179/storm-knocks-over-planes-at-chandler-airport

Planes into other planes, planes into buildings planes into other planes. Sadness fills my heart.

"Strong winds flipped over 20 to 30 small planes, leaving behind several thousands of dollars in damage."

Don't worry, only ~$100 in damage per plane!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

AWSEFT posted:

Good corporate jobs are hard to find but they are out there. I got really lucky.

NetJets is hiring again, maybe he can move there and bitch about his crew meals like they do. [PDFs]
NetJets Breakfast Menu
NetJets Lunch Menu
NetJets Dinner Menu

Egg White Power Wrap

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

Got the bill for my first annual inspection and the hail damaged window repair.

$3200

Any insurance help for the storm damage?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Why worry about how much your airline of choice overbooks? There are always people who will volunteer to get bumped off the flight. I volunteer whenever my travel plans allow for it but they rarely actually need to do that.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

For casually renting out a 172 to cover costs and keep the plane flying (not for generating profit), what do you guys think is best:

-Dry Tach
-Dry Hobbs
-Wet Tach
-Wet Hobbs

And why?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm the owner and excessive leaning is my fear with dry renting. I will be renting by dry Hobbs for now because it's much less complicated for me to deal with. I do not have CHT/EGT though so that makes me a little nervous.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Can you expand on the airplane / engine?

If it's a Lycoming I just wouldn't worry about it. NOBODY I have ever met or flown with ever leans too much.

I hear a lot from the LOP boys but they are always in bonanzas where the cylinders don't last 1000 hours anyway.

C172 Continental O-300

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

35 years old?

Is this the cover of the POH?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've only flown one that is younger than me - a Piper Meridian (no landings). The oldest I've been a passenger in was a Stearman and the oldest I've flown (no landings again) was a 182 from 1957. My 172 is from 1966 :ssh:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

One of the things I got corrected for a lot in training was fixating on a particular instrument, or the panel in general. You're supposed to divide your attention among things like visual traffic scan, instrument scan, radio work, getting wx info, getting nav info/pilotage, managing the engine and other systems, etc.

Seems kind of like an ADD paradise.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Dear Vessbot,

Make an effort post on babbys first aerobatic lessons in airplanes cause you have a ton of knowledge and I don't even know where to start with this stuff.

Yes please.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

tenaciousvigilance posted:

Kind of a long shot, but anyone in this thread live near KBUF and interested in selling part of their airplane or finding a partner to buy one?

I'm looking for something similar to a Mooney M20C/E/J mainly used for cross countries.

Are you on Ron Ciura's mailing list? If not, get on it and have him send an email for you.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

tenaciousvigilance posted:

Hey there, fellow WNYer! I am actually; great idea. Where do you fly out of? I'm at BQR with the flying club.

9G5, but I live overseas so I'm not there very much.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Caution: wake turbulence

http://i.imgur.com/532t5X0.gifv

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

AWSEFT posted:

Haven't seen an airplane take itself off yet and only a few can competently autoland. Two pilots is really about redundancy, every system in the plane has a backup (and sometimes another backup). Plus, its a lot easier to catch a mistake when there is two of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPOtDPHjW-Y

Checkmate, pilots.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dexter6 posted:

First time poster in this thread...

First off, thanks for the first post. Lots of good info there, and I've enjoyed reading it.

My main question - I'm in a stable career now in IT and I'm 31 years old. I'm considering changing careers and becoming a pilot. It seems like I could spend a few years as PP before making the cutover, but is it worth it?

Has anyone seen someone become a commercial pilot who is a geriatric like me?

Get your private and fly for fun unless you really hate having money.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

gigButt posted:

Repost from the other thread. Hawker 800 went down at Akron Fulton (Ohio) today. Looks like they were over the outer marker for the LOC 25. Sad sad.

OVC006 1 1/2 SM at the time of incident. Thats 100 ft and 1/2 mi over mins.

Facebook has a profile for Execuflight showing the operation. Looks...interesting.

Live ATC has the feed. 2030-2100z Zipline 1526 is the callsign. Nothing seemed extraordinary from the feed. Poor phraseology from the pilot talking is about it. Seems a little backwards on a few transmissions.

CFIT?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/11/auto-draft-3/

Amazing nobody on the ground was hurt considering the damage.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Caution wake turbulence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlv16ETueU

Remember, the condition that most exacerbates a wake turbulence encounter is when you're following an aircraft that's:

Heavy
Clean Configuration
and Slow

Always good to see reminders like this. I would not have guessed an AN-2 would create such strong wake turbulence.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e.pilot posted:

As much as I love it, I'll readily admit the E6B is kind of pointless in the real world nowadays with iPads and phones and such. But it does still have one useful thing, the written tests. Sure one could spend $70-80 or more on a nice electronic one that would have to be learned anyways, only to never use it again, or spend $20 on an E6B and learn to use that instead.

You can just use a 4-function calculator if you are comfortable approximating trig functions. If I remember correctly, the choices for the answers were far enough apart that it wasn't much effort to find the correct one. I think you're allowed to use a scientific calculator with trig anyways.

I have an E6B and an electronic one I got when I bought a used set of pilot gear when I started. I had to use the analog one in my training but I've never used the electronic one. It looks like more of a pain in the rear end than the analog one.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah of course you can, but if you already know how to math, it's faster to use a normal calculator.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hmmm. Engine out. Once we get to 100AGL we'll find somewhere to land.

I feel like this guy got really lucky.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Twin Cessna crashes into trees and folks rush to help the sole occupant get away from the fire and wreckage. With video:

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/31825374

That link isn't working for me, but I found it directly from their frontpage: http://www.fox10tv.com/clip/12391894/new-video-shows-plane-crash?autostart=true

Pretty dramatic video.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

First solo (helicopter) today. Crushed it!

Congrats! Why do helicopters fly patterns? Just for predictability in mixing with fixed wing traffic?

quote:

EDIT: also holy poo poo did you hear about that Super Puma crash in Norway a few days ago? Main rotor separated in flight for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9yrX0gaVug

holy poo poo :stare:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I just got a PP-ASES addon rating and it was a loving blast.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

My examiner had me demonstrate basically everything I learned in the course. He had me do normal takeoff/landing, glassy water takeoff/landing, crosswind takeoff/landing, confined area takeoff (so much fun -- you take off while turning on the water and then continue to fly up in a climbing circle), and choppy water takeoff/landing. I had to demonstrate various on-water maneuvers (idle taxi, plough taxi, step taxi) plus sailing and docking. He pulled my power and made me land simulated engine out, which is embarrassingly easy when you are surrounded by suitable lakes in a float plane.

He was pretty harsh with me about some of my answers in the oral exam and then with some of my flying. I did fly worse with him than with the CFI, which is frustrating, but I did fine I think. I did a go-around after spacing on setting up the proper approach for a simulated glassy water landing. That would have been a bust if I had continued it as a normal landing, which is what I was doing.

I had never flown in a Cub before, nor back seat in tandem config. It was fine but I could not see the airspeed indicator or compass. The worst part of that for me was not being able to see the compass while trying to fly a square pattern for a crosswind landing. I got confused easily (very tempting to line up with the waves for a zero crosswind landing) and had to really focus on distant visual references to hit 90 degrees each turn.

52 landings and a rating in 6 hours, and it was mostly really fun flying. I highly recommend it to anyone with any interest. Time it so it counts as a BFR too!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

We had a prop strike a couple weeks ago when an airplane taxied into an unmarked pothole covered in grass in the designated run up area. Yay state run airports!

Later that afternoon there were over a dozen bright orange cones placed around the ramp to alert people of even more uncovered holes.

There's a local airport with half a dozen bright orange cones placed around potholes on the runway.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

To be clear (and maybe the use of "local" was a bad choice), it is a privately-owned airport, but it is open to the public in the AFD. It should be NOTAM'd closed, in my opinion.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

I had my first CPL pre-flight-test today.

It did not go amazingly, but not terribly either. I have a few more duals to do...

Hadn't practiced spins in six months, so although I went over the recovery procedure in detail, I hosed up the entry and it just.... didn't spin.

What aircraft? I did some spin training in a 152 and you had to really force it to spin, and then you had to pretend that stopping the spin required any real effort.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

One of our 172SPs had a registration which was in Signature's system as a Lear 35 and the desk girl at IND was hearing no different. Thank gently caress I had a credit card to pay the $285 ramp fee in spite of insisting I was flying a motherfucking four-seat piston prop and even POINTING TO THE AIRPLANE ON THE RAMP TO THE RAMP GUY . :ramsay:

What was she going to do if you didn't pay the $285?

Did she also insist on fueling you with Jet-A? I mean, what the gently caress with this whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I love manipulating the controls.

• Locked thread