Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not that old. Safeway only went out of business in 2004/2005.

My littler brother probably remembers Safeways and he's only fourteen.

I was momentarily VERY confused reading this post, because there are in fact two Safeways in my small town in Northwest USA. But a quick skim of Wikipedia informs me that it's just the UK branch that was sold off (in 1987, but not eliminated as a brand-name by the parent company until 2005).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That page that was uploaded early is in its proper place today.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Would... would a kid actually get expelled for something that is undoubtedly an accident? Like, even Ol Knotty the teacher here doesn't seem inclined towards vindictiveness at all, he likes these kids.

The development works really well in this story, don't get me wrong -- unreasonably reactionary adults fit easily within my suspension of disbelief, especially in the fantastical SGR universe. But in real life, the school system would be more understanding, right? How inclined to expel are typical british schools?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rincewind posted:

We better get more Mildred! :argh:

Yeah, now that I think about it, that's the greatest shame of The Modern Men being the last case -- it had Mildred backgrounded! It didn't seem so bad for "just one chapter", but for the last chapter... :(

Oh well! That's the way of it! John Allison isn't going anywhere, so we'll still get cool stuff I'm sure.

This might be a good time for a SGR archive binge.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Republican Vampire posted:

I wonder if this means he's gonna repost all the side-comics that aren't on the site anymore.

He's mentioned on twitter that he'd like for scarygoround.com to be a better hub for all his past work, but he hasn't been able to dedicate the time/energy to tidy it up.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Aww, so he wasn't expelled, he just... left? That's odd.

Wait he told Tim that he was expelled, why would he do that to his friend? That's actually kind of horrible!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This has inspired me to reread all the Bad Machinery-era "Bobbins" he's done in one big chunk. Which reminded me how freaking sad the situation with Tims' daughter is. That sort of unresolved childhood catastrophe could mess a kid up for life. There's no way Scout doesn't suspect that the explosion was her fault, which will only make Tim's decision (to accept the blame and leave the family) feel even worse.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 13, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Leospeare posted:

Today's strip is confusing. Those word bubbles might need another pass.

Haha, yeah. In the second and third panels, those joined-bubbles should be separated and coming from separate characters. Though I really enjoy the nonsense logic of the conversation as-is.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It will be sad to see the "end" of these characters we've been enjoying for a long time, but I still think this is a good move. Bad Machinery and Giant Days were Allison's best work so far, and it certainly helped both of those projects that he made a concerted effort to make them "continuity independent". It was really good for Bad Machinery that you could read it without any SGR history, and John repeatedly tried to stress that fact, but the fact that that historical tie was there still was a psychological barrier to some new readers.

I'm excited to see what new characters and new worlds he invents.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Man. Boycey nearly killed, redeemed, then killed again, all in an astoundingly short amount of time.

Based on John's blog post, I thought that the tackleford universe was coming to an end with that portal explosion. Then, with the epilogue with the kids in school, I thought "maybe with the portal gone, Tackleford's status as a supernatural hotspot will also fade, bringing these stories to a close".

But now, we've transitioned out of that story into a new one, with new supernatural elements popping up. We're basically back to classic Scary Go Round-style storytelling, except it's called Bobbins, and the Bad Machinery kids have been added to the cast rotation.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think the idea is, memory of her got wiped when she went to hell, and the way her "human half" escaped the first time didn't undo the process, like it was illegitimate in some way. When she goes full demon and walked around like that, she has more "officially" left hell, and so her memory is allowed to leave with her.

Idunno, it's all silly ghost logic anyway, so this is just the way it [i]feels[/i ]to me. Like different methods of leaving hell might or might not undo the "erased from mortal existence" status.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, back in The Case of the Lonely One, after Tuan and Blossom get locked in with the onion boy's "corpse", all we learn afterward is that they're found with a bunch of onion peelings (because the onion kid reanimated and fled) and Tuan's mom takes him out of school.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Maybe this is just "teenager can't handle his alcohol", but: notice that the jerk guy offered a drink only to the two people he most hates right now.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Not Steve Jobs is kidnapping our protagonists and I don't know how the story suddenly turned this way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

karmicknight posted:

I am really hoping for one more ludicrous twist before Space is No Longer the Place.

Seems likely. Lottie just threw away an envelope unread, that's a narrative magnet for Twists.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm definitely enjoying this whole turn of "Jordan accidentally saves the world through his superpowers of being terrible." Like, he only even got that ID card by being so off-putting that Dr George decided to leave in a hurry.

Of course it's kind of distressing in a karmic sense, but it's also hilarious.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm still assuming Ben Bishop intends to help aliens enslave the world via Tech Trendiness, because that theory was debunked then re-accused and then spun as a game and then revived and then turned out to be fake again, so of course if the story isn't over yet it still has to turn out to be true. Now Jordan's ruining that subtle strategy like he ruins everything.

So maybe now things are about to get a lot more overtly aggressive? I guess it's hard to say whether that's truly an improvement.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 16, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fangz posted:

Well, there's also the question of replacing the teacher.

Hmm, yeah. So I think there are actually five plot threads: Blossom the bully, Daz returning for the wedding, Linton's hormones, the new head of discipline, AND Claire's breakup. I predict we won't know how they all fit together until we find... the missing piece.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 21, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Huh. Instead of the Robert Cop thing this weekend, looks like we're getting a revival of a two-strip idea he had back in 2009, starring Shelley.

I like the About page's summary of the comics journey that led to him reviving this.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

This is basically the correct answer. So far, we have three key elements:

Shauna has told a mega loving secret about her brother's arrest to a girl who she's trying to befriend, but isn't quite lock-tight with.

Blossom has a big crush on Daz, a chip on her shoulder against the whole world, and while she may not hate Shauna she really hates her friends.

Daz is in deep trouble due to circumstances involved with his arrest, and also was told by a friend that he needs to try dating younger girls.

My guess is that Daz, due to his mounting frustrations and keen inability to make good decisions, will flirt with Blossom. Blossom, head-over-heels for Daz, will confide in him Shauna's secret. Shauna will get the poo poo beaten out of her by her Chav-as-gently caress rear end in a top hat brother.

I'm with you up to that last part. Daz isn't exactly a good kid, but he doesn't seem the sort to beat up his little sister, even in these circumstances. Things will go horribly for Shauna as a result of Daz finding out, but it'll be less direct than that.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Man. I figured Daz was a better person than those who were speculating "hey he'll probably end up beating up his little sister", but I'm genuinely impressed that he's coming clean here. Dan seems like a great person to talk to, too: responsible and also tied in enough to know who Si Daxton is. Unfortunately, that's still not going to solve the 30 Grand problem.

Real question: The terms of that loan (10% monthly, turning 100 pounds into 30k pounds in five years) have to be illegal in the real-life UK, right?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

So's breaking peoples' legs if they don't pay up, pretty sure

Well yeah duh and of course the law isn't going to be a magic bullet here, both because this family is poor and this is a story that needs a plot. I'm just genuinely curious about lending regulations since that's a bit more obscure.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Watch, we're all laughing at this guy and he's trying to get custody of his child at 2 or something.

If you're meeting someone called Allied Conglomerates regarding the custody of your child, something has definitely gone horribly wrong.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This discussion got me rereading The Case of the Fire Inside, and I noticed relevant to this chapter: Blossom in the background looking lonely and angry about it, her friends from the previous chapter nowhere in sight. This was the chapter immediately after the one with onion-boy and Blossom's introduction, so we see Allison thinking through the aftermath of that incident in her life right away.

EDIT: and yep also relevant to this chapter is Colm being a stand-up guy. He really is a victim of his father's terrible advice.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 3, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Age isn't really a factor, remember that SGF mostly starred characters who were technically adults.

Blossom sassed Ol' Knotty into a coma earlier, so that qualifies as supernatural. But I predict this wedding isn't the climax of this chapter and it still has a turn or two on the way. We have to resolve Darren's debt, we're probably going to follow Blossom and Shauna's relationship a few more steps, and I want the new head of discipline to be relevant somehow. I'm guessing that something's going to pull this story 45 degrees soon. We're missing a piece of it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Remember, this £2000 is just the initial payment on a "plan". Darren owes 30k.

At the rates Si is charging, he could demand basically any remotely achievable amount once a month and have the debt still last both their lifetimes.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm predicting that he tries to apologize and/or warn his family about the danger. But Shauna doesn't hear him out (understandably), and then he decides to just rob her employer. Probably half-justifying it to himself by thinking that he's doing it to save her anyway.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Also shouldn't Mildred recognize Fishman because just one story ago she tried getting him a job and it was a whole thing?

EDIT:

Numero6 posted:

No, that was Little Claire.
Oh yeah, duh. Don't know why I misremembered that, buy Claire makes much more sense.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 29, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Reading the music recommendations is like peering into an alternate universe for me, he could be making up most of the bands and half of the genres and I wouldn't be able to tell. Every year I think "I should expand my horizons a bit and actually seek out some of this music to try", but when it's 20 full albums it's kind of hard to get started, and I'm busy, so...

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Desmond is an attempt to make a character The Worst Person with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Once I truly let that sink into my heart, I started enjoying his stories, just in a different way than most. Making him have the privileges of being rich without any actual money to give to other people in exchange for goods and services, that's actually a stroke of genius. Most rear end in a top hat rich people at least contribute income for some people around them.

Every Desmond story is an exercise in "how can this character make it through without learning anything, despite the flow of a normal narrative pushing the other way?" At any beat where a terrible person would display some note of remorse or some crack, and in fact has to for the story to flow well, he wiggles out of it looking worse than ever. It's silly fun on an intellectual level, but you have to remove yourself from the shoes of the characters who have to live with him, which is something you normally don't want to do.

It's like enjoying extremely bitter coffee or beer, I guess, though that comparison doesn't sit well with me because I really like those things.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 31, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the last couple pages have felt weirdly like "John has opinions about discipline", but the Botswick stuff didn't feel that way before, it was more just on the silly end.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, remember part of the reason Shauna is feeling particularly loyal to Blossom these days is because she leaned on that friendship as she fell out with Lottie and Mildred when they arranged that Dad thing. As far as I can tell, they never really worked that out, just kinda let it come between them and sit there for months.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This has been a story about the end of a childhood friend structure that's lasted most of their lives up to that point. Of course it's dissatisfying, but I think that's purposeful and appropriate. Bittersweet is the most honest way to end something as long-lasting and good as this, and it feels true to the characters. I definitely think this story was compelling and the right kind of send-off.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh, really? Huh. Foot, meet mouth. I missed the last clause of that sentence entirely.

Certainly felt like a finale.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Hahaha, Destroy History is on the timeline?

I mean, that was an easy one.* Shelley left town at the end of Scary Go Round because she got a job at the Ministry of History.

*(assuming you remember a specific strip from many years ago.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, is this new story labeled as a "Bad Machinery" thing? I thought it was over, then it wasn't, then it was definitely over. Huh. (And honestly I really respected that decision. The last case was about as good of a melancholy-but-hopeful send-off as that particular comic could get. Heck, it even had a theme of "good things end and change but that's good." )

Most webcomics either wrap up, or spiral out into indefinite hiatus town, of which two the first is obviously preferable. Looks like John Allison found a third way, though: constantly remixing characters and formats into new half-reincarnations of old comic titles. I assume this is all tied somehow to his amazingly consistent output.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 6, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh, duh. I've become so used to esoteric Bad Machinery case names that reveal their meaning by the end of the story, that I didn't even parse what the title was saying. "Bad Machinery: The Long Hiatus." Got it. Good one.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, this was an easily solved mystery.

The hard part's going to be getting back out.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hmm. Yeah, it does sound like this is leading to "give up the friendship between you two". But also remember that Lottie is telling this whole story, after the events of The Missing Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

"... and that's why me and Shauna don't hang out together any more!"

That's what I was going for. Maybe not the whole thing made up, but I could totally see someone telling a story that takes place near the end of an important friendship and dropping in rationalizations for why they grew apart.

• Locked thread