Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Wanderer posted:

In his way, Allison is still among the best webcomickers when it comes to evocative phrasing.

I still say "This is the only truth" from time to time.

My favorite is "That is the ultimate insult to my existence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

John Allison's magnum opus.

Seriously, I'm really digging how he's bringing back all these old characters now that's he's improved his writing. Ryan's dad was just a bizarre creature in Scarygoround, I'm glad there's some depth to him.

It certainly makes me question the wisdom of Shelley's attempts to reunite Pa Beckwith and his family all those years ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wonderslug posted:

It is probably best not to scrutinize the continuity of prior Pa Beckwith encounters too closely, as making them jive would likely require dangerous quantities of amnesia dust.

I mean, didn't he run off to be some sort of hobo king or something when Ryan was much younger than he is now?

He stole a pie off some other guy and became King of the Tramps, yeah.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I seem to recall that the poetry-scholarship-he-never-knew-about also happened to the late lamented Carrot Scruggs.

(Although after the everybody-dies finale got Michael-Jackson'd to oblivion, I guess he isn't actually late.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Aww, so he wasn't expelled, he just... left? That's odd.

Wait he told Tim that he was expelled, why would he do that to his friend? That's actually kind of horrible!

It's simple when you understand that Ryan is dumb!

EDIT: Or rather, he's lazy and will take the "easy" path even if that path is actually the very very hard path so long as he doesn't have to think about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And we're done.

Shabby, Jones. Shabby.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Do we, as readers, know who The Smiths are?

I suspect Witchus witchus, the common English witch. Known to inhabit these woods!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

God loving dammit, Shelley. Do you think you might possibly see your way clear to not horribly loving poo poo up for three consecutive seconds?

She's been back in Tackleford for all of a day.

I continue to hold that Tim should hook up with Shelley and file to remove custody of Scout from his abusive wife.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fangz posted:

Shelley can't look after herself, let alone a child. Tim is pooping in a hole in the woods.

Shelley is an extremely successful professional woman. She's arguably more capable of taking care of herself than anybody else in the cast!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Shouldn't Erin have an uncanny rapport with devil bears, on account of being the devil?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This year I'll actually try to listen to some of these artists!

/me listens to #1.

Huh. There's interesting... sound things happening there? But I can't actually understand any of the words in "Gordian Knot."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Today, we have a reference from long ago!

I should check the book and see what that page originally said, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bell_ posted:

Is that Natalie?

Doesn't Natalie wear a sexy shroud?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, I guess if Riley divorces TIm there's nothing to stand between him and Shelley except everybody concerned being eaten by devil bears.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Man, poor Scout. Most kids only think they're the reason Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce. She really is. :smith:

Nah, you can really put the blame on Tim for leaving Scout around a dangerous machine unsupervised and on Riley for pretty much refusing to listen to Tim (or rather, for having a history of being so unreasonable that Tim won't even try to explain the truth to her for Scout's sake).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alternate ending: Erin pops out of the hell-portal for a twist ending.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Shelley really knows how to get what she wants with a minimum of fuss.

For a definition of "minimal fuss" that involves many deaths and the near-destruction of the universe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I want to make a joke about Susan but I haven't read this yet so maybe that already is the joke.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That is an impressive drawing of a boy as a horse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tim and Shelley will give birth to a very sensible child who will raise them to be competent adults.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would say it was definitely a trap, but he did have the balloons ready.

On the other hand, this is the guy who had the Boy randomly killed by a hell computer just before the story ended and reincarnated as a devil horse, so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Note that the last time we saw Blossom, she handed Shauna over to an alien invader so that she could more effectively isolate her only friend from having any other social contacts.

That is not the action of a person who thinks things through.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, Colm has dropped out of school and Jack has acquired a pair of douchebag goggles.

...Jack has really come a long way since the first strip.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Switched at birth" is less likely than "Shauna's absent father is also Blossom's father."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Erin. Who, by the by, continued on by being the immortal queen of hell with The Boy by her side. Not a fairy tale happy ending, but good enough ending for those two characters.

It's not that great for The Boy, since he's been reincarnated as a horse who isn't even sapient.

Meanwhile, I was thinking back about to Erin, and how, long ago, she said "[It's a very silly world], and I'm a very serious girl. I hope one day to be put in charge by process of elimination."

It occurs to me that that's basically how she became the ruler of Hell.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's a babysitting story starring Charlotte.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Jackard posted:

Maybe her dad will off him

Maybe it will turn out this was all one story after all and Colm will off him instead of Linton.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Once, young Johnny Allison was bitten by a terrible character.

Now, when the moon is full...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think it's important to note that Shauna also remembers Blossom as the person who handed her over into the clutches of a mind-taking onion alien.

Like, this isn't the first time Blossom has done something terrible to Shauna out of spite.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I gotta go with Blossom here; I've seen this coming for a while now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And then everyone started asking "How can I disassemble my life as quickly as possible?".

Odds of Linton saying something he is going to regret for a very long time on Friday: high.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ronya posted:

isn't Friday still dedicated to the tales of chronological disassembly

I guess Linton is safe for a while, then.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I wonder if the 'twist' here is going to be that Shauna didn't send Darren to jail - her mum did, or he was already about to be arrested, but she understandably remembers herself as the centre of the universe...

Well, he hid the pot he was selling where a ten-year-old could find it, so I feel like he was on the road to jail anyway. That doesn't really make a difference as far as their personal feelings about it go.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This seems like a really terrible extortion plan. They're going to... bully a kid just out of prison into stealing a bunch of money, probably not very well, and probably getting nothing, instead of bleeding him dry for the next however many years?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Also note that the safe being an antique doesn't necessarily make it any less impregnable to random thugs with crowbars, given that those definitely existed whenever that thing was built.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Isn't he broke now? I have to admit, I don't bother paying much attention to the mythology of Desmond.

He has enough money to buy toys or bread but not both.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

He's just flirting with the waitress. Who, by the by, if I'm not mistaken is that scarygoround character whose name eludes me right now who had a thing for Ryan.

e: Melanie? Maybe not, I think she just had brown hair.

That's Fallon Young, yes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mottled Mary was dead and also secretly Natalie Durand, Ryan's other girlfriend (not the teenager).

Man, Ryan has dated a lot of girls.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Haha, I just caught the significance of the envelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

He really only needs enough money to afford a lawyer.

Shelley's available.

• Locked thread