Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137608-Blizzard-Cancels-Titan-MMO-After-Seven-Years

quote:

"We had created World of Warcraft, and we felt really confident that we knew how to make MMOs," Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime explained. "So we set out to make the most ambitious thing that you could possibly imagine. And it didn't come together. We didn't find the fun. We didn't find the passion. We talked about how we put it through a reevaluation period, and actually, what we reevaluated is whether that's the game we really wanted to be making. The answer is no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
i'd honestly forgotten about it up until now.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
who cares

smart move imo

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

good it's finally happening even blizzard is getting sick of lovely loving blizzard games

maybe they'll start making good gamehahahahahahahaahahahahahh

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The most ambitious thing you could ever imagine but apparently making it fun wasn't the first loving thing they did

- a description of every modern game developer

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I like how metzen has the stunning lack of self awareness to say that its important to know when to quit after sinking 7 loving years into a lovely mmo that deserved to be strangled in the cradle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

The most ambitious thing you could ever imagine but apparently making it fun wasn't the first loving thing they did

- a description of every modern game developer
i agree they needed to flip the 'fun' switch

shaking my head

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Eventually WoW will die, eventually

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Good

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

i agree they needed to flip the 'fun' switch

shaking my head

if your basic idea for a game doesn't start with "why would anyone want to play this game at all" then you aren't making a game, hth

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Helpimscared posted:

No, it will not. Face reality, don't run from it. There will be people playing WoW 50 years from now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

if your basic idea for a game doesn't start with "why would anyone want to play this game at all" then you aren't making a game, hth
they presumably had really ambitious ideas for why someone would want to play the game fucklord

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i think nintendo has proven that not being extremely ambitious is the correct choice

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Helpimscared posted:

indeed just as humanity will fall, the sun will burn out and the universe will collapse on itself

NecroMonster posted:

i think nintendo has proven that not being extremely ambitious is the correct choice

the fact they waited loving years after dlc became the norm to begrudgingly include it on some of their biggest IPs is kinda proof of this

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Endorph posted:

they presumably had really ambitious ideas for why someone would want to play the game fucklord

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

nintendo's most successful console was the weird nontraditional one with a controller that you're supposed to flap around physically in order to play the videogames.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
WoW isn't fun why would you be excited for another MMO by Blizzard

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

They pretty clearly didn't considering they couldn't find it, dumbfuck

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

surc posted:

No, it will not. Face reality, don't run from it. There will be people playing WoW 50 years from now.

Eventually

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Yeah I mean it all comes down to your definition of the death of WoW. If it's people playing, then yeah you're going to have to wait until the last handful of weird holdouts dies from assorted sedentary illnesses but when the official servers are finally shut off feels like a better milestone.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

Yeah I mean it all comes down to your definition of the death of WoW. If it's people playing, then yeah you're going to have to wait until the last handful of weird holdouts dies from assorted sedentary illnesses but when the official servers are finally shut off feels like a better milestone.

have they shut off the official everquest servers yet

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Wow will keep living until we forcefully snuff it out

Like even of we try to kill it it'll be like some story where we actually accidentally leave one player alive and he is the one from the prophesy who grows up to be the supreme wow player or something Like the embodiment of that troll self insert guy

What IM saying is that wow is bad

surc
Aug 17, 2004

When the stars burn out, when the last gasp of civilization has gone from the universe, there will sit in the discarded shell of existence, the last thing in creation, a guild raiding in some loving instance or other.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

They just forgot to put the logo at the start.

Instant classic!

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
was there ever even a scrap of artwork or a logo or anything

i just dont understand how u can cancel something that doesnt exist

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mung Dynasty posted:

Fez 2

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mung Dynasty posted:

was there ever even a scrap of artwork or a logo or anything

they probably kept all that stuff internal, because they realized it was bad and didn't want to show it

i mean they even restarted development completely on titan last year. thats how bad it was. a company that released heart of the swarm said "no, this is too bad, we have to start over."

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I like how metzen has the stunning lack of self awareness to say that its important to know when to quit after sinking 7 loving years into a lovely mmo that deserved to be strangled in the cradle

Most devs put out the lovely mmo first then quickly go f2p until the game dies soon after so blizz is still ahead of the mmo cycle tbf

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
arent these the guys who had a sexy space woman called Ghosties and that was ouright cancelled wasnt it?

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Countdown until we learn that 'Titan' was actually the code name for Metzen's offshore imbezzlement account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Titan:

• Locked thread