Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

dan is alright but can he really fill the hole vinny left
:wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRJf8RbxYE8

Game Room and its quick looks are a microcosm of giant bomb.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

dan no dont blend all of them at once :ohdear:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

what's an airport

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

mario is the hero but he stomped all those goombas to death what if Mario is a bad guy??????????? *big wet fart*

smb is a good example of a game avoiding ludonarrative dissonance, actually

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

so is hotline miami

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I don't know what this means, Great Joe.
The story is silly, the gameplay is silly.

There. That's "avoiding ludonarrative dissonance".

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The psychedelic nature of Super Mario Bros.'s narrative is reinforced by your main interaction with the game world: Jumping. Mario's jump is several times his own height, is accompanied by a friendly sound effect and when he's big it can break blocks that look made out of bricks. Additionally, the power-ups are similarly abstract and colourful, reinforcing the psychedelic atmosphere by recalling one of the most well-known works of psychedelia in western literature, Alice In Wonderland.

Ludonarrative dissonance is a bad term to describe a problem that has been blown way out of proportion. Sure, it's nice when there's cohesion between narrative and game, but it isn't required to make a good game, and I don't know why reviewers keep harping on it.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 10, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You too.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Oh so it's like how in gta4 Niko keeps talking about trying to live peacefully in America after the war but you the player can still walk into the street with an rpg and go to town
Yup.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTETYF5Vw80

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

NienNunb posted:

I only play games with big anime tits.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

True Fact: Whenever I see the word "problematic" written on the internet, I hear it in ROCKCOCK64's voice.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

its the way he says it that really solidifies that y, y'know?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

i laughed pretty hard when the subject of paz's vagina bomb came up and patrick was just like "UGH NO gently caress THAT GAME"
I thought the sneaking around part was nicely tense. The leeway with peeking around corners and such might have been a bit too much, but I do appreciate the opportunities this gives you to explore the base. The combination of no Fulton balloons, the return of Body Moving and the introduction of the Changing of the Guards mechanic made it so you either had to think on your toes on the trip out of Paz's hiding place or carefully place bodies out of the way on your way in. There's also a nicely dreary atmosphere I thought would only come out of Russian games, but the whole way through everything about MSF is just hosed or about to be hosed, there's rain throughout the whole thing, even the American soldiers you sneak around are miserable, overworked and cold-ridden.

Not only that, there's a distinct duality with the first few parts of MGS1. Snake approaches from the water, goes up a great height, has to sneak by search lights and guards, there's trucks that can drive you around if you play your cards right, if you take the time to explore there's weapons and equipment not that far out of your way that might be helpful. What gets me are the little differences, Donald Anderson clearly knew where Kenneth Baker was being held, and helps however he can, while Chico insists Paz is dead. Both Paz and Kenneth are first shown tied up and hooked up to explosives, both were rigged by a man who fancies himself a cowboy, but there's no boss duel, no ninja who magically disables all the bombs. Then there's the helicopter. It's already in the air when Snake arrives, and there's more than one. Snake isn't the one who thinks it's out of place, but the soldiers in the base definitely do. To me, these were clearly references, but they were all slightly off and always in a way that made Snake's life slightly worse.

But let's ignore all that because "there's a second bomb in my..." *boom*

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

NienNunb posted:

The fact that you people don't like this man baffles me.
Brad may be a fine human being but his opinions are bad.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

elf help book posted:

loot lust is a disease, everyone

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e22-Ca7D17c

Dude's charming as gently caress.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

He's got really BRAD TASTE am I right fellas? :haw:
Every time he doesn't get his favourite game on the Giant Bomb GOTY list he gets in a BRAD MOOD! :haw:
Maybe it's nice that Patrick left, he might have been a BRAD INFLUENCE! :haw:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They belong together. :unsmith:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Blackheart posted:

he has finally...

gone home
:golfclap:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Machai posted:

but....thats like the 8th mario kart, and advanced warfare has like superjumps and stuff
but but mario kart 8 has the stuff from 7 AND it has sections where gravity goes all ~wacky~

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

elf help book posted:

*turns on nopat sa edition*
SA already has that by default, it's called the ignore feature.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

mw had a nice sp campaign but the multi was garbage

NienNunb posted:

Who caaaaaaaaaaaaaaares?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

HeyCrapOnThis posted:

drat that is a good avatar
Thanks! I like yours too. :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

*Austen :eng99:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

4 is fun but it's just a reskinned 3 with more broken poo poo in it.
lol

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

he's brad at video gmaes

gedit?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Rhapsody of Fire is nice.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Delsaber posted:

Strange, I sorta figured Dan would be really into Deadliest Catch.
Thought you were talking about Octodad 2.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKtQSWvh8zk

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

why do ppl make gifs of things that are already on youtube and a million times better with sound
it's super dumb but some people prefer watching gifs to working their desk jobs

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Brad's lip quivering, trying not to cry listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5hWNnsLm0
Better than Metallica's One.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Machai posted:

holy crap

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Delete this forum.
nah, just gas this thread

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008