Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

revmoo posted:

Yeah so I'm a big dummy. Anyway I have this unit and I'm actually pretty impressed except for one critical issue; the keystone adjustment leaves behind shaded areas that outline the display area.

Is this a common problem? I don't recall seeing this issue on any other projector in the past, but it's completely awful. For all I know it's a config setting somehow, but pushing brightness to zero doesn't make it go away.

I'll happily order the W1070 on Monday if it means I don't have this lovely keystone effect.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

You bought a business projector. It is designed to sit on a table and project a bright, readable image on a screen. It doesn't have lens adjustments because it is a BUSINESS PROJECTOR. The projector you bought, and most other business projectors, adjust for angle by setting some of the pixels to black and smashing the rest of the image down into an area that looks square from whatever angle it is sitting out. You lose a significant amount of resolution, but maintain brightness.

If you had done any research or, I dunno, read the last three pages, you might realize that many home theatre projectors, of which the BenQ w1070 is a sterling example, have built in lens adjustments that allow you to adjust for a certain range of angles without losing resolution

Then again, you probably won't read this either, so :getout:

ShotgunWillie fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

sellouts posted:

Maybe this will help him, it is the first google result for "how keystone adjustment works".

http://www.theprojectorpros.com/learn-s-learn-p-keystone_correction.htm

Dude, it's obvious he doesn't know how to use google. What makes you think an article with big words, like "digital" could help?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

revmoo posted:

Yeah so that was a result of the ghetto placement I did yesterday just to play some video games. I set it at table level and the keystone issues are gone. The projector actually works really, really nice and I like it alot...

HOWEVER, the mounts are totally stupid and I can't get the mount kit I bought to connect to it at all. I'd probably be willing to get a different unit but I have one concern; this projector which is supposedly blindingly bright is what I would call adequate. I'm very concerned that if I switch to a "cinema" projector it's not going to be bright enough with the blinds open. I think in this case I'm willing to trade picture quality for brightness, as I want to be able to use this thing in bright daylight for tv watching. Compounding this quandary is the fact that apparently manufacturers all lie on their lumen output levels. So I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to shop for another unit without being able to know how bright it is.

If closing your blinds is an issue, consider a regular TV. I hear you can get great deals on CRTs these days! GREAT for gaming.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

King Hotpants posted:

It's like I'm talking to a wall.

Let's all stop feeding the troll.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

wolfbiker posted:

I have the W1070 and it's in a tight space as well, I ended up getting a right angle HDMI connector so it would fit. Maybe that would work for you. Also the W1070 seems pretty tiny to me, I can't imagine there would be (m)any that are much smaller than it.

This. Get some right angle connectors and you should be fine. The W1070 is remarkably small for a projector of its type and quality.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

jonathan posted:

So in planning my revision of my dedicated theater, I'm considering having the projector placed on/in a piece of furniture instead of being ceiling mounted. As some of you know I have pretty good bass capability and around 10hz I tend to knock the projector off aim. It's not just a mount issue, I'm moving the entire ceiling.

Anyways, I'm thinking I could do individual chairs upfront with a table in between that houses the projector, and use my existing reclining sofa as the rear row, possibly on a riser. But I havent run a projector this way and not sure of the downsides.

I can't imagine that having the projector on a table on the floor, secured only by gravity, would be MORE secure than on a high quality, screwed in ceiling mount.

At 10hz, are you sure it isn't your eyeballs vibrating?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
If I have the budget, is there a reason not to get a projector like the Epson 5025UB over the BenQ HT1075?

The layout of my room is a little complex and it has coffered ceilings, which makes placement a bit complex, especially combined with my less than square walls. It seems that the Epson is much more flexible with screen sizes and lens shift. Plus, free lamp with the current rebates.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

King Hotpants posted:

No. The 5025 is a superior projector.

News for the thread: I'm officially out of the projector business. For those who guessed: yes, I worked at Projector Central.

Thanks. Sorry about your job?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -