Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I want them to remake this game, but in a modern way so I don't have to plug in gameboys to play it... I don't have those anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just come on down to South St Pete one of these days for all the crystal you'll ever want to "Chronic"le, OP.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it would be really cool if the game was any fun in single player, and if playing multiplayer didn't require you to know four people with GBAs + the rare link cable

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

darealkooky posted:

it would be really cool if the game was any fun in single player, and if playing multiplayer didn't require you to know four people with GBAs + the rare link cable

I agree, Echoes of Time is a good sequel.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I still have a gba and a link cable. Does anyone want to play with me?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

it was extremely fun to play, single player or multiplayer.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

bucket bitch 4 lyfe

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

2player sucked balls because 1 person had to replace the moogle from single player and carry the chalice thingy.

The best way to have fun in that situation is to run away from your friend and try to make them die in the miasma.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lol if you didn't have 4 gba cables to play crystal chronicles and 4 swords adventures

4 swords adventures still the best local multiplayer game ever

you can use a 3ds as a controller for smash, port 4 swords adventures to wii u with 3dses as controllers please nintendo :(

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
They put a crystal chronicles song in the Curtain Call DLC, no doubt judging how well it sells to decide whether or not to remake Crystal Chronicles.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

deadwing posted:

lol if you didn't have 4 gba cables to play crystal chronicles and 4 swords adventures

4 swords adventures still the best local multiplayer game ever

you can use a 3ds as a controller for smash, port 4 swords adventures to wii u with 3dses as controllers please nintendo :(

The Pac Man game was actually very dope as well, and maybe even better than 4 Swords

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
the one chick had epic boobs so i agree

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

darealkooky posted:

the link cable was never rare, they probably made more of those than they made goddamn gbas. i have like five

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
does anyone know how well you can online multi this with dolphin

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
this game was ace except the bullshit play it with your gameboy thing

me and my brother got in physical fights over carrying that fuckin lantern tho, except when the dude from next door came over to smoke weed because he was happy to just carry the light and give us advice

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

fronz posted:

There was vital information on the gba screen aside from using it as a controller, like using the shops in towns and switching out materia. And the game had some bullshit system for managing inventory where you would only get to keep certain things unless you were the 'host'

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I thought the game was very pretty and had nice music.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The helmet wizard race girls had madonna bras

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Yeah who the hell thought that was a good idea

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I did.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Well that solves that mystery.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fronz posted:

it's basically loving impossible, it's something like you need to open four separate instances of no$gba or virtual boy advance on every computer, sync them to doplhin, wire both them and dolphin up for netplay, and pray that not even one of these open instances ever desyncs.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

me and my brother got in physical fights over carrying that fuckin lantern tho, except when the dude from next door came over to smoke weed because he was happy to just carry the light and give us advice

what was the deal with that lantern? didnt the devs realize that whoever holds it is gonna have a bad time?? seriously, just play testing for a little bit and youd realize that wasnt fun at all

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the problem was that they made a four-player game but designed the lantern mechanic for single-player where you had a moogle companion to fly it around for you

obviously rendering the moogle in four-player mode caused the game to slow down to like 2fps so they had to scrap that

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
it wasn't the worst thing in the world as long as everyone traded off pretty frequently. dumb though for sure.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

obstipator posted:

what was the deal with that lantern? didnt the devs realize that whoever holds it is gonna have a bad time?? seriously, just play testing for a little bit and youd realize that wasnt fun at all

it's actually a pretty clever way to prevent everyone from trying to all go in different directions at once and make the camera flip the gently caress out, one of the most annoying things about any co-op game that doesn't have splitscreen

you're also rewarded for hanging out by being able to cast stronger spells, so it's not just a literal leash that keeps all the players together

it's also just really funny in general to make one of your friends be the bucket bitch, and then it stops being funny when you realize he has the power to drown all of you in deadly poison by running away

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I legit think that Crystal Chronicles was ahead of its time, at least a little bit. It would look gorgeous on the Wii U and I'll bet most people with Wii Us have 3DSes as well (or have friends with them), I can't imagine that pushing four sets of GBA maps and menus wirelessly is as demanding as pushing one Gamepad display. Dope music too, way back when I got my first iPod I remember going on Limewire and downloading the majority of its soundtrack and rocking out to it.

The one thing I didn't like is that you had to have a regular four-player group in order to get everything. Or at least, I remember not being able to get the ultimate weapon and/or armor because I needed all the vendors in my town to be maxed out, but I could only link one vendor to one character's progress so it was either find friends who wanted to play, or grind out four individual characters (and I'm not sure you could even do the latter on one file)

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There were eight character slots, you totally could grind all that out if you wanted

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

darealkooky posted:

it's actually a pretty clever way to prevent everyone from trying to all go in different directions at once and make the camera flip the gently caress out, one of the most annoying things about any co-op game that doesn't have splitscreen

you're also rewarded for hanging out by being able to cast stronger spells, so it's not just a literal leash that keeps all the players together

it's also just really funny in general to make one of your friends be the bucket bitch, and then it stops being funny when you realize he has the power to drown all of you in deadly poison by running away

It actually was really bad because wasn't the guy holding the thing slower than everyone else? so he had to walk slow as h*ck and couldn't attack. I'd rather the camera flip out than have to be slow as rear end and unable to play the game.
i dont remember any strong powers that the bitch gets, so that might have made up for it. But maybe I just gave up on playing it before I got far enough to even notice the stronger spells. :wth:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's not that the bitch gets any spells (besides being able to dick people over by letting them drown in the poison air because he feels like standing in the corner and the boss is somewhere else) but that if you cast a spell at the same spot/time another player does you cast spellx2 or whatever, so by having everyone want to stand in the same place it subtly pushes you towards doing that

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

CC was the best contractual obligation ever made

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

CC was the best contractual obligation ever made

Great avatar matey. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3133335&pagenumber=18&perpage=40#post375506214

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Was the GBA connection really necessary for the game? I don't really remember it too well but I thought it was just menu/inventory and poo poo.

I know you couldn't play without it I just mean it seems like they could have dropped the gba requirements and made it much more accessible without losing much.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
it wasnt at all

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it wasn't COMPLETELY necessary, as proven by phantasy star online-GCN's four player split screen where everyone's inventory took up their 1/4 of the screen, but then it would've eaten up a lot of real estate and you don't want that in a game where everyone shares the same screen area. unnecessary, but a gigantic quality-of-life improvement for anyone doing multiplayer.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

yeah it's a really good cat picture

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Tender Bender posted:

Was the GBA connection really necessary for the game? I don't really remember it too well but I thought it was just menu/inventory and poo poo.

I know you couldn't play without it I just mean it seems like they could have dropped the gba requirements and made it much more accessible without losing much.

If I recall they tried to justify it by saying "Well if it's 4 players then they're gonna spend too much time on the inventory menu to get anything done" but in reality Nintendo just wanted to shill their bullshit GBA link peripheral.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to buy this game and play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Once you beat a level the seasons progress and the level gets harder

Which means if you want to start a second character ur hosed

The sequel is cool.tho

• Locked thread