Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
We should start a Save Korra campaign and send vials of Mercury to Nickelodeon HQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

We should start a Save Korra campaign and send vials of Mercury to Nickelodeon HQ.

And cabbages

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Considering that this last season is going to be CodeGeaseEvagelion with bending, the chances of this not doing well in terms of ratings is zero.

I mean, I'm not sounding naive am I? Nick really can't poo poo this up any more, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

uncleKitchener posted:

Considering that this last season is going to be CodeGeaseEvagelion with bending, the chances of this not doing well in terms of ratings is zero.

I mean, I'm not sounding naive am I? Nick really can't poo poo this up any more, right?

It's airing exclusively on the internet, dude. The ratings war has been lost.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
then I'm an idiot. Disregard everything I said in the previous post.

gently caress you, Nick.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm sorry you guys don't appreciate my dumb anime jokes.

You want to say that again bro

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
It's good that they didn't give a bunch of characters the same haircut because that would be confusing as hell.

Also the trailer music always rocks. I have the trailers from 2 and 3 on my iPod, but I need a version of 4 without anybody talking over it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Postal Parcel posted:

You want to say that again bro

This guy came up with the thread title for the record, send all hate mail to him.

e: Seriously though, didn't mean to take credit.

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 28, 2014

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

This guy came up with the thread title for the record, send all hate mail to him.

e: Seriously though, didn't mean to take credit.

Not a good enough apology. I demand a blood(bent) sacrifice

That, or a haircut

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Thread Title Owns, gently caress the haters.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

BrianWilly posted:

Y'all know that wingsuits are a real thing in the real world, right? (As opposed to mechs) (sadly)

Welcome to the future.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Thread title should have been Legend of Korra Book 4: They're All In Their Twenties Now.

Also, there is no way in hell we could have seen Nickelodeon advertise a show starring a bunch of twenty year olds. I'm willing to bet the move to online-only was specifically caused by Mike and Bryan going "So we end the third season with Korra in a wheelchair and Book 4 happens three years later when none of our main characters are teenagers anymore."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 28, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Now that I'm not on my phone:

Anno is such an adorable doof sometimes :3:

Those are actually classic Kamen Rider poses btw.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Thread title should have been Legend of Korra Book 4: They're All In Their Twenties Now.

Also, there is no way in hell we could have seen Nickelodeon advertise a show starring a bunch of twenty year olds. I'm willing to bet the move to online-only was specifically caused by Mike and Bryan going "So we end the third season with Korra in a wheelchair and Book 4 happens three years later when none of our main characters are teenagers anymore."

Sure, but Kai and the airbending kids are all three years older, so it's not like the cast is devoid of characters for the original target demographic to latch onto.

I'm really curious to see the effect of the time skip on Bolin (Will he be less of a goofball with a couple years of maturity?) but especially on the airbending kids. We can more or less predict how Jinora will be as a young teen, but what about Ikki and Meelo?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Is there anything leading up to the wing suits or did the creators see How to train your Dragon 2 and rip them off become inspired?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aggressive pricing posted:

Is there anything leading up to the wing suits or did the creators see How to train your Dragon 2 and rip them off become inspired?

The season hasn't been released yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wing suits are a real thing you know. There's basically no way to justifiably argue they're ripping off HTTYD when both of them are based off the same real thing.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

The season hasn't been released yet.

I meant in the previous seasons.

ImpAtom posted:

Wing suits are a real thing you know. There's basically no way to justifiably argue they're ripping off HTTYD when both of them are based off the same real thing.

I know they're real, you'd have to live under a rock not to. But it seems like a bit much of a coincidence that an animated show, with worries over ratings, JUST SO HAPPENS to have something from an immensely popular animated movie that came out not long before.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Wildeyes posted:

Sure, but Kai and the airbending kids are all three years older, so it's not like the cast is devoid of characters for the original target demographic to latch onto.

I'm really curious to see the effect of the time skip on Bolin (Will he be less of a goofball with a couple years of maturity?) but especially on the airbending kids. We can more or less predict how Jinora will be as a young teen, but what about Ikki and Meelo?

Kai has a real Batman Beyond vibe with the airsuit. Why do they torment me? HALF OF YOU HAVE MURDERED PARENTS. SOMEONE BECOME BATMAN ALREADY. Basically anyone in Republic City except Korra and Bolin could do it. (And Lin)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know they're real, you'd have to live under a rock not to. But it seems like a bit much of a coincidence that an animated show, with worries over ratings, JUST SO HAPPENS to have something from an immensely popular animated movie that came out not long before.

The... wildly popular movie that came out long after they were already in production and which seriously underperformed compared to the previous film, eventually being outperformed by the TMNT movie?

Seriously. Wingsuits are a real thing. Airbenders have been established as gliding beforehand. It is a far more logical thought that both the film and the show borrow the same real-life thing rather than assuming Korra decided to put in wingsuits to attract the crowd of a minorly popular film.

If it were some unique thing exclusive to HTTYD you might have a point but HTTYD is neither the first nor last thing to use a wingsuit. It isn't a coincidence if it is a common shared source material.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 28, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The... wildly popular movie that came out long after they were already in production and which seriously underperformed compared to the previous film, eventually being outperformed by the TMNT movie?

Hey you know what TMNT had? Walking. You know what Korra has? Walking! Quite a coincidence that this show happen to shares something with one of the biggest films of the summer!

Really makes you think.

It's a real stretch to think that Korra is putting in wingsuits because a popular animated movie did so.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

This sort of thing totally happens, sometimes very blantantly, I've never been able to keep Antz and A bug's Life straight in my head. I don't know anything about the production, but as someone watching from relative ignorance, it's pretty noticable.

Jimbot posted:

It's a real stretch to think that Korra is putting in wingsuits because a popular animated movie did so.

I'm pretty sure 'because a popular something did it' is the reason behind a lot of things.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Aren't the suits just supposed to imitate flying lemurs which have been in the series since S1E3 of TLA? "Oh it's like Momo!" was my first thought at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This sort of thing totally happens, sometimes very blantantly, I've never been able to keep Antz and A bug's Life straight in my head. I don't know anything about the production, but as someone watching from relative ignorance, it's pretty noticable.

Yes, this thing happens. However it tends to involve more specific things or concepts, not the inclusion of an actual thing in the real world.

What you're doing is basically arguing that because Korra has swords, it is clearly a reference to another thing instead of a reference to a real-world thing that exists.

Like, this isn't a case where they're suddenly introducing gliding as a concept. It has been a central ability the characters have had since the first series. They are adding in a real-world thing which is a logical extension of already existing technology.

I'm pretty sure 'because a popular something did it' is the reason behind a lot of things.

Yes, but usually the popular thing is a giant huge thing. Bows became the weapon-of-choice for plucky hard-fought female protagonists after The Hunger Games for a while but that is because the Hunger Games made all the money. HTTYD2 underperformed. It didn't get the top spot at the box office at any point in its run. It lead to a bunch of layoffs and a loss of Dreamworks stock.

Like, your argument here is that they saw HTTYD2 underperform and decided they needed to rip off its wingsuits because they were the most iconic part of the film or something? Did Zuko having a pet dragon last season also count as a HTTYD ripoff?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 28, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Rosalind posted:

Aren't the suits just supposed to imitate flying lemurs which have been in the series since S1E3 of TLA? "Oh it's like Momo!" was my first thought at least.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense, it struck me as a bit off but a natural in world progression clears that up. Like how all the technological advances in the first season were clearly Fire Nation war developments.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Well I guess airing two new seasons 3 months apart is a pretty good business strategy. Cool.

I hope the characters have changed at least a little. No one stays exactly the same forever, especially in the age bracket that the avatar crew is in. And I hope Jinora gets to Aang it up.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I think the wingsuits are a great idea and work really well plot-wise.

The big takeaway from the last Season is that the Air Nomads as they existed are gone, and it's for the new airbenders to decide what being an aribender means. Freed from the ritual and cultural norms of the old world they're exploring new avenues of airbending.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know why we're debating the source of the wingsuits when it's so blatant what they're actually ripping off.

Tally ho, fuckers.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Clearly Korra is really ripping off Far Cry 3 with the wingsuit.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Having just seen this clip, I can say with some certainty that they are ripping off the Will/Jaden Smith masterpiece "After Earth."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Come on now:

Though for other trailer stuff, anyone have any idea what's in the background of this shot?

http://i.imgur.com/RDn4d5S.jpg

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Killer robot posted:

Come on now:

Though for other trailer stuff, anyone have any idea what's in the background of this shot?

http://i.imgur.com/RDn4d5S.jpg

They are the power cores for Zhu Li's Mecha-warriors. They are made from draining energy from spirits. Each core is a drained spirit. :black101:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
My guess is cloning tubes, they are cloning their own army of evil benders. :aaa:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Toshimo posted:

They are the power cores for Zhu Li's Mecha-warriors. They are made from draining energy from spirits. Each core is a drained spirit. :black101:

Sounds legit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Wildeyes posted:

Having just seen this clip, I can say with some certainty that they are ripping off the Will/Jaden Smith masterpiece "After Earth."

This implies that someone actually saw that movie

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
After watching the trailer I am so hype!

Don't fall down on this season writers! You've just regained your honor.

Edit: is the Netflix style release confirmed?

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Thundercracker posted:

After watching the trailer I am so hype!

Don't fall down on this season writers! You've just regained your honor.

Edit: is the Netflix style release confirmed?

Only for countries that get it later than the US I believe.

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

This implies that someone actually saw that movie

:negative: I... I did.

Total rip-off, btw. The Korra writers should be ASHAMED.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
IGN has a clip of the first two minutes of the Book 4 premiere, which shows a bit about how Republic City and Asami are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Huh. Sooooo... they apparently just learned to live with/around the spirits. That's kinda neat. Korra was actually serious when she said people were just gonna have to get used them.

• Locked thread