Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nichael posted:

Did anyone notice Korra is in a pool of liquid that looks like the mercury poison used on her in the trailer?

I'll bet it's part of some kind of weird metaphorical healing/spirit trip that helps her to overcome her PTSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

Who's that waterbending dude with the backpack in the foggy swamp? Betting it's a new team avatar member

I'm pretty sure that's Korra. Same outfit and arm bands as the scene at the very end of the trailer.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

We should start a Save Korra campaign and send vials of Mercury to Nickelodeon HQ.

And cabbages

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

They still want to be involved with the Avatar comics, but it's not the right time to bring another show into production.

Yay, more comics!

I hope they find another writer to do post-Korra comics concurrent with more of the post-Avatar comics.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Well I hope no one has anything planned right this moment 'cuz episode one's up on Amazon.com now.

Hahaha I was actually just checking if it was up elsewhere, kind of hoping it wasn't, because I should be getting to sleep... but welp!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

tin can made man posted:

I didn't get a good enough look at Kuvira's map, but has her faction incorporated Kyoshi Island?

It's too small to show up on the map, but they do have the adjacent Chin Village. (The peninsula just under the red circle in the above image... Kyoshi Island is right beside that.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

(I only saw one episode of FMA before I binge watched FMAB)

Bah, there are so many things in the early episodes that FMA does better than FMAB. I hate how FMAB glossed over/rushed past a lot of the early plot points. (But, FMAB eventually did become really drat good, once the two series diverged.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

But are the fight scenes ubercool?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aggressive pricing posted:

Why devote a huge amount of resources to keep people alive in the least humane conditions imaginable?

Probably for the same reasons that many countries/societies in the real world don't practice capital punishment?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 5, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

We know him as Bradley.

I'm not even going to address this dumb poo poo.

I edited my post just because I realized that the real-world equivalent existing didn't have much to do with whether they were right to lock those 4 up as they did.

But, I mean, if we lived in a world with bending, our super-max prisons might seem a bit excessive, too.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 5, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Ok? I always have a problem with understanding the need for retroactive editing of arguments, especially after you've already been quoted.

No, I edited it before you replied with a quote. If I had seen that it had been quoted first, I wouldn't have bothered.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 5, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Maybe Varrick is secretly the head of the Red Lotus.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wildeyes posted:

Not sure if it's been posted, but the Nicktoons channel is going to air every episode of season 3 this week(?). That's right, on the TV.

Oh, that's great!
Hasn't Nicktoons generally gotten better ratings for the franchise than Nick itself has?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Varrick works better as a charismatic megalomanic who crawled his way out of the gutter and is only loyal to profit.

Yeah, I don't actually want Varrick to be head of the Red Lotus, that was a joke suggestion. He's not exactly the anarchist type.

(But I could see him secretly working with them if it could further his own ends, like the kidnapping of the President. Not that I think that's going to happen, either.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harold Cooplowski posted:

Apparently there's some sort of story as Bryke said it was set in the two weeks between Book 2 and 3.

It's also supposed to have its own game-only villain created by Bryke.

Oh, here's a spoiler on the villain/plot:

The villain will be a special type of chi-blocker who, at the start of the game, strips Korra of her bending abilities, which she has to regain in the course of the game.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 7, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

Ahahaha. Oh lord.

It's a pretty good in-world explanation for certain game mechanics, though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ahahaha. Reading more of that article that I posted, it talks about how Platinum ended up getting on board...

quote:

It was just really fascinating to [us]. Just the fact that it's so detailed and the fact that each of the bending styles is based on actual different types of Kung-Fu. The way that it's actually animated is just really impressive.

There's more to it than that too. There's the love story that they have, and there's Bolin as the comic relief and the comedy in it is just awesome.

That's right, we have the Platinum game coming because they liked the love story and Bolin's comic relief.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aggressive pricing posted:

If by stole, you mean bought the company that makes them, then yes, he did steal them.

He stole all of the stock from their warehouse. It was a pretty major plot point.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 7, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

Parody episode? Is that in the normal seasons of A:TLA? I would've sworn I'd seen all of the episodes, but I don't remember a parody one.

The Ember Island Players, in season 3. They go to see Avatar Aang: the musical, basically.

Also, maybe it's time you rewatched the series...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rincewind posted:

This is so cool I don't even care I've just been spoiled about it.

Edit your quote before you spoil someone else who does care.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Could be the whole "Come home after a Fire Nation raid to find her mother's corpse" thing.

I don't think this is how it happened.... if I remember correctly, she found her mother under threat from a soldier, her mother told her to run, and she went to get her father as the soldier killed her mother.

(Still obviously very traumatic, though.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

How does that help Korra? Like, this girl's in the intensive care unit trying to learn how to dress herself without help and Katara's like "I know your life sucks right now, but hey, try fighting a war! I've totes been in your shoes before!"

Like, I get the point of the scene, it just felt super patronizing.

Well that sounds pretty true-to-life for situations like that, then.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

Prediction: Toph's gonna lead Korra to a cave where she finds this:

edit: Or this I guess, same thing really

There's already some pretty great fanart on this subject from just after the season 4 trailer dropped:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Also: The Painted Lady. Why is she the only spirit that looks human?

The latest comic series, The Rift, has some fairly human-looking spirits!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PaulDirac posted:

Is it just me, or is Toph kinda like Yoda? (Old person/alien living in a swamp with great powers teaching a young student important life lessons)

It's not just you, go look at the previous page of this thread.

thexerox123 posted:

There's already some pretty great fanart on this subject from just after the season 4 trailer dropped:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rewatching that last scene...

"I found you passed out in the mud."
"How'd you know I was out there?"
"I'm pretty tapped in to the goings-on around here."

She can totally see the whole surrounding area through vibrations in the roots, can't she?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

How is she a villain based on what we've seen?

Well if she was the one who sent the bandits after Opal and Kai...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Zaofu's getting nuked so hard.

On the one hand, I could totally see this happening, but on the other hand... I would be very surprised if Bataar Jr would be okay with that.

(Although, maybe he wouldn't get a say in the matter. But if he really is the ideas man, I doubt his ideas would include nuking his hometown.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Based on the pre-season trailer, the vines may just be used to power the mechs. In that one shot of Varrick, it looks like they're using the vines as a power source for what are probably mech batteries:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sato posted:

(not spoilering it because it's been out for weeks)

Not that what you posted is a big spoiler at all, but just fyi, trailers are considered spoilers by the TVIV rules until their episodes are out... often people choose not to watch trailers specifically because they don't want to be spoiled.

quote:

Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

I thought the same thing. It seemed especially weird that Tenzin (who always seems to butt in whether it's his business or not), or Raiko (who Kuvira apparently personally promised to step down) just sat there and did nothing. But by the time Kuvira finished her little speech most of the crowd was cheering, so perhaps they were just too savy to go against public opinion in the moment.

The little "Oh, poo poo" glance that they gave each other as Kuvira started into her coup was great, though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Barlow posted:

So are we going to get more explanation for why Toph went all Yoda? At this point she just seems like she's in for fan service.

I would assume that finding the spot where she can see everything going on across the continent might have had something to do with it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

sitchelin posted:

Seeing Korra spending more time with the original avatar crew begs the question, where the gently caress is Sokka?

:smith:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Sure you can. I don't agree that it is the intended ending (and I agree with you on how the ending is meant to be read) but it's very easy to argue that allowing someone to stick to their morals without having to pay a personal cost for doing so devalues the difficulty of sticking to their morals.

The risk of paying a huge personal cost isn't enough?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 20, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Arguably no. It's very easy to write "this is super risky" and then have that risky element never matter.

It does matter, he comes this close to losing:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't because "he comes this close to losing" has no long-term or serious impact on him within the confines of the show.

Well you don't generally introduce "long-term impacts" within the last 10 minutes of a series. Nor does everything have to have/examine a long-term impact. When your main character is already willing to risk their entire being to stop an enemy without using violence, having worked towards that moment for the whole series, that already says plenty.

You don't need to directly see how it effected his psyche afterwards to understand that he's risking everything for his beliefs.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 20, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Genocyber posted:

It's not mercury, it's an unknown fictional metal.

There is 0 evidence for this claim.
I mean, there's no evidence that it's mercury, but the Korra world does have platinum and that liquid metal acts and looks exactly like mercury.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

senae posted:

About 50/50. Other option is Wu, with comedy option Bolin as the underdog.

I think it should be Bolin's grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I know that there have only been really minor spoilers for the game so far, but... I mean, this isn't a games thread, I would kind of like to go into the game with it all as fresh as possible. :\

• Locked thread