Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Potsticker posted:

What does Korra even have to do with Evangelion anyway? Like, I'm legit confused at the connection.

You see, Korra is a legitimately good show that stupid people hate. Evangelion is a legitimately bad show that stupid people love. Making a comparison between them is funny because aside from the wrong opinions of stupid people, they have nothing in common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

BrianWilly posted:

Y'all know that wingsuits are a real thing in the real world, right? (As opposed to mechs) (sadly)

Welcome to the future.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Harold Cooplowski posted:

The fact that they keep saying "not now" as opposed to "never" confirms to me that I will at some point be in my thirties and shamelessly watching a cartoon.

Like you had anything else planned.

Like any of us had anything else planned.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Metropolis posted:

I have avoided the previews, but I am guessing Toph will train someone, Korra or Lin I guess, to "see" the way Toph can, through vibrations. Then when Kuvira uses her flying metal slap bracelets to blind them, they'll beat her through the power of unexpected feet-seeing.

I hope this time Bolin figures out for himself that the seemingly awesome person he's teamed up with is bad.

Lin can already do that, we've seen her do it repeatedly. At least once a season, I want to say. If anything's going to come into play against Kuvira it's going to be Korra's ability to Metalbend, not another new power.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MrAristocrates posted:

MrAristocrates posted:

Don't argue with Sithsaber, guys. This is what he does.

Don't report him, either. This is the Korra thread, the Mods have forsaken us.

I was wondering if I was the only one that remembered who Sithsaber is or not, good to see I'm not alone.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Regarding the end of the episode,

Regarding the prior 20 minutes, also pretty decent. I didn't realize that Korra's connection with Raava was apparently severed/severely weakened; was that previously mentioned and I forgot?

It wasn't. I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a massive internal blockage, she's basically completely externalizing the Avatar State as a representation of the trauma she's been through.

I'm also kind of wondering if she didn't scare herself some, with how she fought in the Avatar State, but that hasn't been brought up just yet. But if anybody will call her on that, it's her new teacher.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

It's worth mentioning that Toph was said to have wandered the world seeking enlightenment, and that the old swampbender dude said that he reached enlightenment while hanging out under the giant tree.

I'm almost certain "enlightenment" was just the excuse Toph used to tell everybody to gently caress off while she went and partied and had adventures. Toph-brand enlightenment.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Minrad posted:

just watched the new ep, lol this series really just refuses to do its own thing without bringing back characters from TLA, doesn't it

It's a good thing there isn't a healthy tradition of martial arts stories having wise, powerful, elderly sage characters otherwise them bringing back characters would make a lot of sense and be thematically appropriate. The writers really dodged a bullet there!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sato posted:

This site does have the most tolerable Korra discussion...which really says something about the quality of Korra discussion in general.

:stare: I shouldn't be so horrified by this, but I am. Goddamn, do people on other sites just literally sling poo poo at each other through some advanced web-based poo poo slinging program?

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 12, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Actually the thread title alone means we have absolutely no moral high ground over any place other than 4chan and tumblr.

The important thing is we have the moral high ground over 4chan and tumblr, I guess...

It's been better lately, at least. The discussions on historical analogues to the plot are especially neat! I've got a friend who's never seen any Avatar at all, and I kind of want to have her watch Korra first (once it's done) just as an experiment to see how Last Airbender works as (from that point of view) a prequel.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thexerox123 posted:

Based on the pre-season trailer, the vines may just be used to power the mechs. In that one shot of Varrick, it looks like they're using the vines as a power source for what are probably mech batteries:

Going back just a little bit, if this is the case we'll find out soon. What's a better place to field test new and improved super-mechs, presumably still made of unbendable platinum, than the home of metalbenders Zhaofu?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm guessing the spirit nukes are going to be some sort of plot device later on. or maybe it'll just be there for political commentary. You can't just have nuclear spirit bombs and not use it. Imagine if it causes a dimensional rift or threaten the balance of the world again.

This got brought up before but I'm almost certain it won't be that, but instead they'll be (spoiled for teaser info)batteries for the mecha we saw in the teasers, making them spirit-powered on top of made of platinum. I suspect we'll see soon, possibly as soon as next episode, because Zhaofu would be a good place to do a field test.

Edit: Did we ever see any limits to Toph's metalbending, by the way? I wonder if after all these years she could bend the platinum mechs. She can sense tiny bits of metal in Korra, and can apparently use her earth sense to see massive distances, she might be able to find the very tiny bits of earth still in the platinum to bend it. Could be she saves her daughter's rear end, or could be Korra picks up the trick after she cures herself.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 18, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Given that Korra is not in contact with Raava, I wonder how successful she'll be. Yeah, Korra probably has a uniquely-Korra "spirit signature," but if she's looking for the avatar spirit specifically, then what if they run into trouble with Bizarro-Korra? :ohdear:

I'm almost certain Dark Korra is Raava trying to guide Korra where she needs to go. Given we haven't seen Dark Korra since she found Toph, and that little spirit could actually see Dark Korra, it's almost certainly not just mercury/PTSD hallucinations.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
To be honest, I think the spirit has been too helpful to be Vaatu unless recombining with Raava mellows him out a lot. Dark Korra has pretty much only ever really attacked Korra enough to keep her moving in a direction that ultimately took her where she needed to go. It just took Korra a long time to actually get there.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jackard posted:

They pointed out in the show that the Avatar has mastered standard bending hundreds of times over, which isn't the case with metalbending. Also she can no longer receive the guidance of her past lives.

The Avatar wasn't the only youngster attaining incredible mastery quickly in Last Airbender. And it might be a very different matter to bend something out of your own body. Also there's nothing saying Toph won't still end up giving either pointers or training.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just saying there's a scene where she beats the poo poo out of a guy and then tosses him into the ocean going "heh, hope you can swim."

Also the taunt move is utterly hilarious.

Honestly, I'm not seeing much of the complaints about this game. It's pretty Bayonetta-lite but it's still got a bunch of Bayonetta mechanics right down to having Dodge Offset.

Yeah, I think the problem is a lot of people are comparing it to Bayonetta(2) and it comes up short. But they're forgetting that this is a $15 download game. Put on that tier, it's probably close to top dog. It's fun, the different styles are all really neat but not so complex as to make it difficult, and you really do feel like you're playing Korra. There's a lot of neat little effects I like too, like if you attack while jumping while Waterbending you summon a vortex to stand on (same with Airbending, but very different look) but with Firebending you use the fire jet boots to hover.

That said, even just on Normal it's very Platinum and you'll get your poo poo kicked in until you get it down. Dodging, especially, is basically your best friend forever.

Also the Shadow Fists talisman is priceless (literally) and worth picking up. The code to unlock it is Right, Right, Left, Left, Square (on PS4, probably Y on Xbone/PC). Paired with some other talismans you can get, you can die to a stiff breeze but rack up massive amounts of experience, cash, and combo score super fast.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thexerox123 posted:

Maybe you just don't know who will come after you if you get 5 stars. It could be Lin, Korra, Airbenders...

1 Star- Small numbers of regular cops.
2 Stars- Large number of regular cops, occasional benders.
3 Stars- Small number of regular cops, large number of benders, some of them are Metalbenders.
4 Stars- Large number of Metalbenders, medium number of other benders.
5 Stars- Large number of Airbenders swoop in along with the rest.
6 Stars- Gotten if you either stay wanted for a very long time or regularly achieve 5 Stars, Korra shows up and Avatar States your stupid rear end.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hauldren Collider posted:

To be fair Dark Korra was cool and I wanna see another fight with her.

I want to see Korra actually go all out in the Avatar State now. She tore poo poo up last seasons while she was dying and a mess. I want to see her calm, in control, and just destroying everything in her way.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kuvirah's not trying to make a point. She's just an fascist rear end in a top hat and I'm not quite certain why folks keep trying to act like she isn't just because she pays occasional lipservice to "peaceful negotiation" when it suits her to do so.

The thing is, her past enemies all seemed pretty loving evil too but also had points. What Korra's learned is that you should listen to your enemies and understand where they're coming from, instead of just assuming everyone who disagrees with you is an evil dickmonger. I suspect the moral of the show will be just that, that sometimes people are just assholes but sometimes they only seem like it and you need to listen and communicate so you can act appropriately. In other words, Book 4 will be Balance.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jay O posted:

Except that's not what I was expecting or wanting. At all.

What I originally wanted from Korra, and what I got in spades from Avatar, was a fun show with fun characters, and Korra hasn't been any loving fun for about three seasons.

Did you watch the original Avatar? It literally starts with a young child waking up and realizing that literally everyone he has ever known and loved is dead and the world has fallen into despair because he abandoned his duties.

They took the time for jokes and some fun characters here and there, as has Korra, but both series were ultimately covering some pretty heavy and dark subjects from the word go.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jimbot posted:

I did take issue with Toph's bone-headed evaluation of previous season's antagonists. It felt like she was a writer's surrogate tell the audience that these monsters had good ideas when, in fact, two of the three of them were clearly monsters. Zaheer was at least honest about his philosophy and didn't behind those Road Warrior-esque bandits from early on in Season 3. Nothing about them was taking something to the extreme. Kuvira does fit under that classification, though. But yeah, that one line really rubbed me the wrong way and kind of soured me on the season. I've overlooked the flaws in the writing since I don't watch a lot of animated TV but seeing Rock and Morty recently showed me how tightly that show was written compared to this one. This one wastes a lot of time. 12-14 episode seasons can be OK if you write for them as such but I just get the feeling that the writers are still stuck in the 20 episode format mode.

I disagree. Amon believed in equality, or at least claimed to, which I think we can all agree is a Good Thing. But he took it too far in the wrong direction, insisting that for equality to exist those who are privileged must be torn down. Unalaaq or however you spell his name believed in spiritual balance which, in the Avatar world especially is of very real importance, but ultimately took it too far with his whole "for everything to really be balanced we need 10,000 years of EVIL AVATAR!" thing. Again he started and exposed a good point, but went wrong with it. Zaheer believed that everyone should be their own master, beholden to no leader, but rather than let people choose that path he stepped in and forced it upon them (like a leader would) by killing the Earth Queen and trying to kill the Avatar. His base idea, that everyone should be free to live their lives as they wish, is just fine but his execution was bad. Kuvira feels her country and people need a strong, capable leader to unite them and lead them as a whole into a brighter future. That's in no way a bad idea, at all, but again she's going about it in a bad way by forcing people to accept her ideals and rule.

The entire moral of Legend of Korra has been "everything should be balanced", and at very least since Book 2 they've been making that very clear. Hell, Korra flatly agreed with her uncle and even left the spirit portals open exactly as he'd wanted because she realized he was (partially) right. We also got hints that Zaheer was partially right, in the fact that Kuvira has needed to use force to convince some people to join her suggests that some people were just fine not having an overall leader to follow.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Xand_Man posted:

He named the flagship of his armada after her. You don't do that for someone you don't have feelings for.

I'm kind of expecting the official explanation for him naming a unit of weight measurement after her to be something super sappy, like her life is the only weight that matters or something.

Basically I'm expecting some Tony Stark/Pepper Potts bullshit to round out the steampunk Iron Man vibe.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sato posted:

Raiko only seems to have a surname as his wife's name is Buttercup Raiko.

Turns out President is just his first name, nobody realized and he hasn't wanted to correct anyone.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Caros posted:

Most likely. He started with fire as his primary element, and the montage showed him learning them in the order of the avatar cycle.

I assumed this was why the Avatar Cycle is what it is, rather than some other progression of the elements.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

PiedPiper posted:

I think we can all agree, the next book should be called Legend of Bolin and Varrick.

And it should basically be Metal Gear Bolin, with Varrick providing tech support as Bolin tries to track down and destroy spirit nukes and giant robots.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jack Skeleton posted:

I just can't wait till Kuvira is killed off next episode to get on to the REAL big bad of this season. MELON LORD!

I would legit be fine with Kuvira getting taken out quickly and replaced by eco-terrorist Toph.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lurken posted:

I have one wish for the finale of this season, and that wish is for the return of the Avatar State Ball O' Asskicking. Preferably with a metal ring as well as the classical elements. Is that so wrong?

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen. Kuvira hucks some metal at Korra while she's in the Avatar Ball and Korra just bends it away and adds it to the mix.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Sharmat posted:

I started rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender and holy poo poo is this show much worse than I remembered it being. I mean IIRC it gets better in Book 2 by a lot but man Book 1 of ATLA is so much worse than everything else in either series I'm actually having trouble getting through it. It makes me groan constantly with the forced humor, even more so than Bolin at his worst, and the lesson/village of the week episodes just aren't very interesting at all.

My plan when Book 4 of Korra is over is to rewatch the entire franchise, both series back-to-back, and I'm dreading Airbender. I never cared much for Aang (or, frankly, most of the main cast) and I remember so much of the humor being not so great. It's mostly the very end I recall really enjoying. In turn, I'm looking forward to seeing Korra's story carry through all at once and ultimately enjoy a greater number of the cast both main and otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Sharmat posted:

Y'know I kind of want the next big Avatar thing to just be a Jade Empire style RPG now.

If that's what it takes to get another Jade Empire game, I would support it unquestioningly.

• Locked thread