Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Is there anything leading up to the wing suits or did the creators see How to train your Dragon 2 and rip them off become inspired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

The season hasn't been released yet.

I meant in the previous seasons.

ImpAtom posted:

Wing suits are a real thing you know. There's basically no way to justifiably argue they're ripping off HTTYD when both of them are based off the same real thing.

I know they're real, you'd have to live under a rock not to. But it seems like a bit much of a coincidence that an animated show, with worries over ratings, JUST SO HAPPENS to have something from an immensely popular animated movie that came out not long before.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

This sort of thing totally happens, sometimes very blantantly, I've never been able to keep Antz and A bug's Life straight in my head. I don't know anything about the production, but as someone watching from relative ignorance, it's pretty noticable.

Jimbot posted:

It's a real stretch to think that Korra is putting in wingsuits because a popular animated movie did so.

I'm pretty sure 'because a popular something did it' is the reason behind a lot of things.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Rosalind posted:

Aren't the suits just supposed to imitate flying lemurs which have been in the series since S1E3 of TLA? "Oh it's like Momo!" was my first thought at least.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense, it struck me as a bit off but a natural in world progression clears that up. Like how all the technological advances in the first season were clearly Fire Nation war developments.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
A good first episode, I liked the drums leading into Kuvira's battle, it was a nice touch.

The bandits taking the food off the bison was kind of dumb, espcially since Opal did nothing, and air benders losing a mid air fight was like a slap in the face, how incompetent are these kids?

Kuvira is definitely the next Chin the Conquereror, which I think works because of the cyclical nature of AvatarWorld's history, she may even be him reincarnated.

And seconding the need for some Kitara badassery, it was a massive missed opportunity not having her show mad skillz and tear apart any of the enemies who've come after her grandkids, but hopefully they do something like that this time around.

e: also show don't tell, saying the air nation is stretched thin is really weak compared to showing how busy they are, like someone else said, a scene showing a stressed air bending master in some sort of central command would have been great.

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 5, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

And what would you take out to show this scene?

Hard to say because I don't know what will pay off later, but something more would have been nice. It also could have explained why Opal and Kai were so useless, by giving the impression they were absolutely exhausted from running around the world getting cats out trees or whatever they do these days.

e: even a bit more with the animation could have done it, shadows under the eyes, worn clothing, little things

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 5, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

They weren't useless though? Everything went according to plan except for being hit by a well funded bandit that may (read: will) be funded by Lady Hitler.

They were pretty useless, they stopped three guys, lost the food off the bison, and delivered the contract to Kuvira. The only purpose they really served was to show how hopeless the Earth State's situation was. There was nothing they could have done to help, even if they had delivered the supplies, they would have been stolen.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

Were you one of the people bitching about how Zuko didn't immediately stop the bad guys last season?

Nope, but I did think it was retarded they put those guys in ridiculous prisons instead of just killing them. Why devote a huge amount of resources to keep people alive in the least humane conditions imaginable? Killing them would have been mercy compared to those cells.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Yet if they'd actually executed the lot of them, we would've missed out on the season that revitalized the show.

And aside from not allowing the heroes to actually kill a guy in cold blood, they had a reason: they had no idea why the hell Zaheer and friends tried kidnapping Korra. All those years of sticking them in prison was trying to get them to break and reveal what their cause was.

This makes sense, but at the same time, having a brain-washed avatar to do your bidding is plenty of motivation for the kidnapping. When someone robs a bank, you don't bother asking what they were planning to buy.

thexerox123 posted:

Probably for the same reasons that many countries/societies in the real world don't practice capital punishment?

Yeah, but those countries also have laws against cruel and unsual punishments, and I'd say being locked in a volcanoe and given just enough water to keep you from dying qualifies as that. It's safe to say no one was concerned for the well being of those prisoners.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Sithsaber posted:

LOK: Teaching children to see the merits of the death penalty since 2013.

Really it started with Aang's past lives, "Ozai? I'd kill the fucker and so should you."

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, but even in countries in the real world with the death penalty there are people held in cruel and unusual ways. Just look at Chelsea Manning or Guantanamo Bay.

That's no excuse, really what it comes down to is the society in AvatarWorld has an insane respect for life, benders are contantly pulling their punches so definitely fatal attacks just sort of bounce off people.

Regalingualius posted:

That's the thing, though: until Korra's conversation with Zaheer in the Spirit World in the middle of the season, the heroes quite seriously didn't know anything about their plot, not even the original indoctrination plan.

But why else kidnap an infant avatar? It doesn't take a genius to guess their plan.

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 5, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Aggressive pricing posted:

Why devote a huge amount of resources to keep people alive in the least humane conditions imaginable?

The best answer to this, which I'm surprised no one has said, is 'it's a kid's show, what the gently caress do you expect?'.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

PiedPiper posted:

No, you fools, when Kuvira will be ready to finish off Korra, Bolin's gonna lavabend the poo poo out of her and proclaim himself as this season's true bad guy. Just you wait.

That's what happened to Pabu, roasted fire ferret...

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Jackard posted:

Varrick stole tech from Evil Future Industries

If by stole, you mean bought the company that makes them, then yes, he did steal them.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

He stole all of the stock from their warehouse. It was a pretty major plot point.

Yeah, but he stole that stuff so he could buy the company. I prefer to see it as doing business in non-linear time.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Drifter posted:

Oh, I thought the musical play one was pretty funny. I remember that, I just didn't register it specifically as being a parody episode.

It wasn't a parody, it was a recap, done in a really good and creative way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Rosalind posted:

It totally was a parody as well as a recap.

Yeah, what I should have said was it wasn't just a parody. It was a parody, a clipshow, a recap, and emotional exposition all at once. Not many shows could pull that off.

• Locked thread