Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Man. I really did not need that much Meelo in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nephthys posted:

Meelo is just really obnoxious and a total rear end in a top hat to everyone. Without the charm and badassery that Toph has when she does it. Alot of his dialogue was him being dismissive, bossy or sexist.

Also he's not funny, so there's nothing to apologise for his bad qualities.

Yeah, most of the early part of this episode is like "Meelo is a bossy sexist jerk who makes life unpleasant for those around him...but he's a kid, so isn't it funny and adorable?". I could have really done with Jinora or Ikki telling him to stop being such a brat.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Squidward is gay.

Spongebob, and Patrick, are also gay.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The objective meaning of a work isn't what the author intended it to mean because that isn't really a consistent standard. An author can intend to write something meaning one thing and not succeed at making it actually mean that thing, for instance. When we take in a text, we don't have the author's notes by the side telling us, "and, by the way, I intended this segment to mean this". We can only read what's on the page - or view what's on the screen - and interpret it based on what is there.

Easy example: Ray Bradbury didn't consider Fahrenheit 451 to be about the dangers of information suppression and erasure of radical thought by a state seeking to cement its control over the people, but about the dangers of mass media and erasure of culture by the hectoring of minority interest groups. This really isn't as manifest in the text of the book as the former interpretation, though!

Basically there's no such thing as an 'objective' reading of a work, except insofar as various subjective readings can be made more steady by being supported with evidence from the work.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh, yeah, for sure, it'll never happen. But gay stuff is one of the most common subtextual readings to make because, historically, there have been a lot of gay themes in subtext, placed there quite intentionally, because hey, where else could you put them? You couldn't just put it out right there in the work, because you wouldn't be allowed to, or you'd get in trouble.

Things have improved, but even now, it would be a super bold, trailblazing move to stick a gay romance in a cartoon for kids, and it's still common to have gay themes be hinted at or implied rather than outright stated on the screen. That in mind, it's a natural move to look at subtext for gay themes: that's where they've lived in media for years and years, and in certain branches of media it's where they still are.

I'm not particularly into Korra and Asami being together or anything, but there's enough there to support a reading where one of them has a crush, if nothing else. To me that seems pretty harmless.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I wouldn't say the Fire Lord was presented as an obstructionist. President Raiko has been consistently quite unethical in the pursuit of securing and strengthening the United Republic, and his pushing for a pre-emptive strike doesn't seem like something the show necessarily endorses - he hasn't historically been a moral character. Look at earlier in the season, where he was schmoozing with Prince Wu in the hope that he could extend influence to the Earth Kingdom after placing a naive figurehead on the throne.

To take things one step further, the reason Kuvira has as much power as she does is because a foreign power - the United Republic - propped her up as a warlord in a destabilised country. It's not overt but I would call the show's treatment of that tactic fairly critical, given the fact that Raiko is not portrayed as a heroic character but as a calculating politician out to secure and better the lot of his country.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This finale was super good and I'm thrilled that Korra and Asami are gay as hell. Hooray!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Well, they couldn't. By all accounts it was a near thing even getting what they did in. It's remarkable how deeply and unspokenly censored a lot of TV still is, and you have to take that into account, because all the framing of the ending suggests an Aang and Katara-esque "hooray, they're in love" closer.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Waterbending is the best because you can take showers in a world without showers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh no, that's too cute...

• Locked thread