Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm glad Meelo is still an ugly kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Well that was depressing. Next episode is Korra's recovery, right? I wonder if she'll just show up at Air Temple Island or if they'll have to use Naga to track her down.
Place bets now on if we'll see Kuvira make her coup.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Bolin's a born follower.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I wonder if we'll see Bolin square off against Mako?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I thought it was interesting how the bandit seemed to deliberately avoid hurting the air bison. Even if he never shows up again, having a bandit with a soft spot for animals is neat.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Haha, even Kuvira skips the Great Divide.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
TOPH LIVES!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Regarding the end of the episode,

Regarding the prior 20 minutes, also pretty decent. I didn't realize that Korra's connection with Raava was apparently severed/severely weakened; was that previously mentioned and I forgot?

No. Korra can't go into the Avatar state - Raava is the spirit behind the avatar state.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It wasn't. I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a massive internal blockage, she's basically completely externalizing the Avatar State as a representation of the trauma she's been through.

It also doesn't hurt that she's gone through the trauma because of whole "Avatar" deal.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sato posted:

Interfering with the new Earth King's coronation in some way would do. As would trying to reclaim the territory ceded to the United Republic.

I could see Korra not letting the Earth King just return to power, though - maybe she institutes a democracy, I don't know.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Has anyone tried smacking Korra in the small of the back with a rock?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PiedPiper posted:

You're barking up the wrong tree, my fellow Kuvirist. As a thick-eyebrowed person myself, I welcome our metalbending monarch.

Her eyebrows really are great. Toph-as-teacher was always my favorite part of her character so getting to see more of that now that she's old and even more badass will be great.

.... I bet she went and found the space sword too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

uncleKitchener posted:

Now that Toph is back, I hope the Beifongs finally sit down and Lin stops being a crybaby.

I take it you missed the entire episode last season where she got over her family issues by realizing she has a family after all?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sato posted:

It just occurred to me that we'll probably meet Zuko's daughter tomorrow--the shot of all the world leaders in the trailer is probably from tomorrow's episode. I'm hoping she's a dork like her father.

I hope she plots like her aunt.
I take it back, I hope she sounds like her aunt. I don't suppose Grey Delisle did any voice work for Korra?

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 17, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel kinda silly for not getting what Varrick was doing with the Spirit vine, I was thinking he was going to wind up using it as a power source rather than as a nuke

I think it's both. Varrick probably thinks its a great way to power his stuff but he's probably also interested in weaponizing it.
Kuvira may not appreciate the power of the weapon she's pursuing.
"I'm the Original Bei Fong!" is my favorite line of the show so far.
Also I bet Zaofu is gonna get wrecked.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

hiddenriverninja posted:

As a firebender, Mako should be able to suck the heat from the lava. Whether he's able to do that is another matter.

Also, he has death lightning.

He's not gonna death-lightening his brother.
Also when you suck the heat out of a ball of lava headed towards your face you are left with a chunk of rock headed towards your face.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

iSheep posted:

"Can you imagine me in my prime? I WOULD HAVE DESTROYED YOU."

From what we saw of her I AM THE LAW days, getting back to nature basically simply gave Toph an excuse to act exactly as irresponsibly as she likes again.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BrianWilly posted:

I was scared for a second that the show was gonna go real GoT for teens when they revealed that Desna and Eska shared a room.

That bit confused me until I thought for a moment.

Of course a waterbender would sleep in a bathtub.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The mental block is too key to Korra's character so far to just drop it. I doubt she'll be able to pull it out without first accepting that she needs to be the Avatar - and accept all the danger and responsibility that comes with that - even more than the world needs an avatar to fix spirit-bomb powered conquerors.

Also somebody needs to bend a train at somebody else.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sato posted:

Kuvira will likely be attacking Zaofu at some point. If anyone can bend trains at Kuvira it's Suyin. Or, you know, the rest of the city.

I was thinking more Kuvira gets pissed at last off and chucks a train at somebody, but your idea works fine too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When you're looking at a lady with an army who say's 'I'm in charge now,' if you're going to disagree with her you're going to need an army too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jackard posted:

Shame these seasons are so short; season three was the first time anyone really gave a hoot about the villains and now we have a protagonist on their side.

If they had let Ghazan and Ming Hua escape we could have seen Red Lotus vs. Earth Empire

I expect Red Lotus to be a major terrorist organization in the Earth Empire. No super-benders, sadly.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
She went to find enlightenment. Being connected to everything yet detached from it is pretty dang enlightened.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I do think Korra's going to have to stand for something politically at the end of this season. What, exactly, I don't know, but she's going to have to stand.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Tendales posted:

I'm looking forward to the future comics that will explore the punchocracy that Korra establishes.

:toot: All hail the Punch-ident!

Edit: Punch Minister?

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 19, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ImpAtom posted:

That said, I did always find it a little sad that Sokka seems to have no real legacy beyond being part of Republic City.

I did find it strange that he was the only one of the original Gaang not to have kids. Sokka would've been a cool dad.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, why don't they just make the Avatar the ruler of the world? With the Avatar cycle, you basically never have any question regarding the succession, since new Avatars are literally reincarnated with the memories and experience of their past selves. The Avatar is also able to tap into mystical, reality-altering powers and commune with forces from beyond the physical plane of existence. Why not simply worship the Avatar as the living incarnation of Divine power that they literally, actually are, and instate him or her as their immortal God-King? In fact, I am surprised that an "Avatar cult" had not already arisen and established itself in the world long ago!

Korra should seize power by force, and force everyone to kow-tow to her will!!

I always loved this fan-interpretation of Kyoshi. Giant lady with fabulous make-up skills and A THIRST FOR THE BLOOD OF HER FOES.
Always gotta ask Kyoshi.

blurry! posted:

What I hope to see with season four is the writers deconstruct Korra's superhero complex. She's acted for the most part with this viewpoint that the Avatar swoops in, beats up the bad guy, solves the problem, and BAM balance. The very first thing she does as Avatar is capture some common ne'er-do-wells. Just like a superhero! But that doesn't really help. She spends the next few seasons reacting to threats and problems like she's a comic book hero. Speak boldly, fight bravely. Be loud, throw some punches. But she didn't fix anything, not really. She didn't truly help anybody.

Now this is absolutely wrong. Korra set out in Season 3 to restore the Air Nomads. Her ENTIRE FOCUS during the season was that - she only went after Zaheer when he threatened her mission by attempting to kidnap her. A comic-book hero, upon learning a bunch of super-powered crimers had escaped prison, would have gone looking for them. She decided to keep on doing what she knew was actually important: the restoration of Air Nomad culture and population.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ferrinus posted:

While Korra showed surprising initiative early in season 3, pretty soon she was doing what she always ends up doing: reacting to the bad guys. I don't think you can intelligibly praise or criticize her response to Zaheer because it pretty much always consisted, at each point, of the only defensible response to the cards she was being dealt.

This time the bad guys came looking for her. She didn't act like a cop like in Season 1, she didn't get suckered by a spiritual deceiver like Season 2, she was willing to let others handle them until they became a threat to what she considered crucially important. Heck, look at how she dealt with the Earth Queen in comparison to Zaheer: Once she got the airbenders out, she was content to ignore her since she wasn't a world-endangering threat. Zaheer, on the other hand, threatened the new Air Nomads, and her response to him showed how much she was willing to sacrifice to ensure that didn't happen.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ImpAtom posted:

It is what makes it frustrating when people approach Korra as treat it like it should do things like advocate anarchy, encourage violent social upheaval or so-on. They approach the show like it should be something very different than what it ever tried to be. It's gross and disgusting and borders on Brony-style behavior where they watch a show and want to make it something else.

What? You had a villain literally advocate anarchy last season. It was kind of his main deal! Korra actually does touch on politics - usually not more than a PoliSci 101 level, but it does.
Personally I think the Avatar being relevant as a spiritual mediator in an era where spirits are so common that they befriend random homeless dudes and can appear in the middle of a small town in dog form is an unspoken problem. Why not call Bumi or Jinora or homeless dude rather than the Avatar? They have spirit buddies, surely they'd make good mediators and can see both sides.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ImpAtom posted:

No you didn't. You have a villain advocating not just the destruction of state but of all leadership with an emphasis on freedom above all else, with a undercurrent of the fact that freedom means 'the people who are strong dominate the weak." That is why he was literally defeated by the weak banding together to stop him.

Oh, ok. Now I get your point. However I have to say considering it 'laughable' to discuss the politics of a show where political struggle is part of the plot is pretty dumb.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Crosspeice posted:

Oh cool, earth in bones.

Bonebending.

And of course with advanced waterbending...

Ehhhhh, never mind.

You were gonna say bonerbending, weren't you.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

blurry! posted:

The game I'm really interested in is Grand Theft Auto: Republic City. Five stars and Korra comes after you.

Goddammit now I'm gonna want this forever. How many stars before Lin Beifong comes hunting you down?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

6 Stars- Gotten if you either stay wanted for a very long time or regularly achieve 5 Stars, Korra shows up and Avatar States your stupid rear end.

Fighting the Avatar State should mean running from the Avatar state.
Hell, I'd play a game that was nothing but "Running From Kyoshi."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I expect Korra's recovery to take at least two more episodes. The airbender kids have to find her, for one, and if Jinorah doesn't play some part in her spiritual healing process I'll be very surprised.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

mateo360 posted:

I smell another 3 part comic series.

I'm ok with this. I just wish they came out more quickly.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm glad that Korra's basically figured out that she needs to start thinking about WHY people want to change the world. I hope when she gets back to Republic City she's told "GO TAKE OUT KUVIRA" and she says "Not yet," but I doubt it. Kuvira has to take Zaofu after all.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wu discredits Monarchy, Kuvira discredits Fascism, Raiko discredits Democracy, what's left?

Korra installs herself has God-Empresses of Earth. :kheldragar:

Season 2 put down theocracy. She'll be elected Eternal President and Pai Sho Rules Standardizer.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 25, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Spoilers for the preview! I like how Kuvira isn't JUST going to march in with an army and seize Zaofu. I don't know what her plan is with Bolin, but I like that she's smart enough to realize that 1. Non-violent means are often the best route, and 2. If it comes to violence, having an army right there with you instead of issuing threats and leaving to come back later is a good idea. Also Baatar Jr., what the hell, man. When your fascist wife is the one saying 'no, we need to do this peacefully,' you got problems.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 25, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Kuvira loses to Korra - only to get elected first Earth Nation president immediately after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sato posted:

This would be incredibly depressing so I doubt it would happen--I think Bryke will want a happy ending, and defeated fascist ruler immediately returning to power again wouldn't really give that happy, satisfying conclusion. I mean, Kuvira was given a chance and ended up setting up prison camps so I'm not sure how many people would want her in a position of authority again.

I don't remember any prison camps? I don't know, she seems to have a lot of popular support among the general populace - she has reunited the Earth Nation and kept the bandits from taking everything like they used to do.

• Locked thread