Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

hiddenriverninja posted:

I've never seen any EVA thing. Am I (not) a bad anime fan?

It's over hyped it's like Seinfeld in a way. At the time it was doing a bunch of stuff that hadn't been done,but years later it's been done to death and isn't really good unless you were around when it first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Uh Seinfeld is very good gently caress you.

I'm sorry you're an old person please don't be angry,thank you.

Spergatory posted:

This is a much better thread title.

It doesn't have the proper amount of self loathing that fans of Korra have though?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

X_Toad posted:

I'm not worried. I hated that Unalaq turned out to have been behind Tonraq's banishment in Book 2, but I wouldn't mind Kuvira using that kind of under-handed tactics. The ladies got some extreme methods and doesn't hesitate to push people around to unite the Earth Kingdom, after all. Her using shadow operatives like that just makes her more awesome as a villain.

He probably only sees the end result, that is him and his soldiers helping people. He probably doesn't realize the kind of methods Kuvira uses and probably still believes her to be under some kind of mandate from other world leaders.

Amon and the Equalists always read more as Fascits than Communists to me as well. Complete with putting the all the blame on a minority that supposedly holds all the power.

The Mao imagery is mostly where people get the equalists=communists thing from. Also Book three is on itunes apparently so go check.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Bolin has a habit of failing in with the wrong crowd it's been established pretty hard

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kuvirah's not trying to make a point. She's just an fascist rear end in a top hat and I'm not quite certain why folks keep trying to act like she isn't just because she pays occasional lipservice to "peaceful negotiation" when it suits her to do so.

Korra doesn't know that but she does know people do get angry when you do things because no one else is doing them. She's not psychic she went from the Swamp to here. Also Su the Earth Kingdom is falling apart and you want to go all isolationist? That doesn't work when it's your own country Su.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

So now that Zaofu is Kuvira's, Baatar jr can be safely back stabbed when he screws up,right?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Varrick continues to be great,nice to know. It wasn't too bad but I'm sure you could just listen to this episode and get the point there's little reason to watch it. :smith: I feel so bad gently caress Nick forever.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

uncleKitchener posted:

This episode was actually pretty good.

The only thing about this show that's been irking from the very first season is the inappropriate timing on jokes mostly from the prince and Bolin (major contributor to most poo poo from this show).

Bolin is still horrible and will forever be my least favorite character in the ATLA series. I'd find it hard to believe that kids would actually find him funny.

It's Bolin they've written as stupid (unintentionally)when they wanted him to be naive and socially oblivious. Personally I like Season 1 ladies man Bolin better but eh he's written how he's written and it's not like he still doesn't have good character traits.

edit: Animation as a whole has a problem where it's just stupidly expensive to do it's dragging down the east asian animation scene with stupid otaku bs and it's turning western animation back into the glorified toy commercials they were in the 80's

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 28, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I love that this is going to air on television tomorrow.

Hahahaha ok poo poo I'm not ready.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

Seriously though, that player is SO BAD. "Hey man I'm done loading! hahaaa just messin' with you, I can't even buffer 10 seconds ahead. Actually I think I'm gonna skip ten minutes ahead, that okay with you? No, don't rewind, I said ten minutes ahead. Also, hey, I'm done loading."

I swear I missed some and tried to go back,jumps ahead to minutes,ugh. Also no gifs of the spirit laser blocking yet drat.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ahahahah yes me wanting to have Nick be courageous enough to show Korra and Asami kiss just like Aang/Katara or Varrick/Zhu Li is EXACTLY like me wanting to see graphic animated oral sex.

Go gently caress yourself.

Dude chill be the leaf.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Oh my god
An incredibly positive review in all respect but hahaha alright then.

You mean you don't gaze deep into your bff's eyes? :colbert: missing out.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Beyond that one storyboard artist saying that the handholding and romantic look was apparently added in post-preproduction, we've got nothing from any staff members on the ending, much less from Mike and Bryan.
The official Korra tumblr liveblogged the finale last night with gifs, and the final shots were curiously absent.

He's also deleting his tumblr because I don't think he was supposed to mention that so...... I'm guessing they sneaked it in. edit: Also people were being assholes and using it to say Mike and Bryan were pandering and Mako/Korra was the real ship or Korra was supposed to be single,even though they've been hinting at this for awhile.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 19, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I think on rewatch I'm just going to skip Season 1 and the Season 2 (up to the wan episodes because those episodes and the ones after them in Season 2 are great) Season 3 & 4 were pretty great but the series as a whole suffers from needing more episodes in every season.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Classtoise posted:

Right Korra and Asami were just confused and finally made up their minds that's all.

Also, friendly reminder to everyone insisting the ending was explicitly romantic; Jet wasn't "explicitly" killed.

And then there was the matter of Sokka playing with a lei the morning after his girlfriend sneaks into his tent while he's pantsless. What I'm saying is, Bryan and Mike are no strangers to subtly implying things Nick wouldn't let them get away with.

This is kind of thing is fine when you're referring to like actual people and even then it's kind of like ehhhhh but especially in media the bisexuals don't exist except when they're evil or want threesomes thing is getting tired you can say the B word.

Also this

Reene posted:

The amount of times I have heard the just confused thing as a bisexual woman is beyond counting and it sucks a lot.

I know that's not how you meant it but at least grant that them being bisexual instead of just "confused" is well within the bounds of probable.

If a had a dollar for everytime I've heard this in reference to bisexuals I'd have no student loans.

I wonder what Mike and Bryan are going to work on next? Whatever it is it should be a cartoonetwork, hulu,or Nextflix no more of this Nick nonsense they aren't interested in anything that isn't live action or TMNT and Spongebob. They turned down Adventure Time, Nick doesn't have a good record with this stuff.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 20, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Aces High posted:

Alright I can understand that reasoning and I'll just say that my reasoning just goes back to my personal experiences. I already mentioned my sister but another friend I have has always been gay and I asked him if her ever liked girls and he told me that he never did, he always had an attraction to boys/guys. Likewise I will admit that I am personally hesitant for using a label like bisexual because my personal experiences with people who label themselves as such aren't people interested in exploring their sexuality but are more doing it for attention.

tl;dr I personally don't like labeling Korra and Asami as bisexual characters because, to me, that feels more attention seeky than just saying "yeah, we're gay, no biggie" but if other people want to label them as such, I won't argue if they back it up

I know you're not trying to be an rear end but never say the bolded poo poo to a bisexual,it's the bisexual equivalent (well not even equivalent they get both)of well you just haven't met right guy like people will fight you be careful.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Aces High posted:

There is probably a better way to word what I was trying to communicate, yes, but this is the internet so I am fully prepared for people to take what I mean out of context

case in point:

I understand that it may sound like I don't understand but what I am trying to say is that the people I have known personally were doing it for attention, like out-and-out admitted it to me so I completely understand that I am likely jaded

You being jaded isn't really an issue just like don't say that poo poo period,it's like this a really big issue in the lgbt community and I don't think you're getting that you're saying some hurtful poo poo because you know a few assholes.

Here's hoping some Red Lotus poo poo goes down in the (hopefully coming) comics.

JT Jag posted:

The Korra/Asami relationship has been heavily foreshadowed ever we discovered Asami was the only one Korra wrote during her recovery tbh.

"What no that's just because they're such tight BFFs you're reaching if you think otherwise" heh

Wayyyyy before that I'm thinking it started when Asami was helping Korra after she first got poisoned. She was really there for her when everyone else was being awkward as hell about her being hurt. I don't think it starts as a relationship till the letters though. It's awkward with Mako and Bolin is well Bolin so it just comes to her writing to her and goes from there.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 20, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

They put a fig leaf on it.

The real dilemma is this: is Mako the worst boyfriend, or the best wingman?

Yes?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I've been hearing stuff about comics,I hope it's not just a rumor.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Were the Avatar comics that bad? I know one was meant to deal with Zuko's mom, but I never actually read them

No but they aren't like super amazing either they're ok enough that I would buy them,does that make sense? Personally I was hoping Gene Yang was too busy working on the next part of the atla comics that comes after the Rift that they would have to find someone new to write the Korra comics. Plus I don't think his writing fits LoK's tone at all.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Reene posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the season that she was orphaned and Suyin took her in. I think it might have even been mentioned in season 3 in passing. I do think they could have done more to establish her character in that respect in season 3.

Yeah we needed a Kuvira episode. I mean her parents said gently caress it we don't want her anymore and gave her to Suyin that's some big stuff plus despite Su taking her in that young she still is like oddly distant from Kuvira there's definitely some gold in there. Correct me if I'm wrong but the murder-suicide thing was the deal breaker in getting them moved to the friday night death slot right?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

LEGO Genetics posted:

I was always under the impression we could bicker about lesbian bisexual overtones in a childrens cartoon show for a very long time

Bryan's Tumblr posted:

Despite what you might have heard, bisexual people are real!

:colbert:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Steensma posted:

So I started rewatching season 3 because I have time, it's my favorite season, and a rewatch of the whole series would be incredibly daunting. One striking thing is how drat optimistic it is. Season 4 was a bummer from the start and to just about the very end, but season 3 begins with such promise, which would gradually be sucked away.

Also Zaheer's entrance is cool af, and it reveals his intentions off the bat.

Zaheer's original haircut was cool as hell and I'm glad he grew it back. Would be funny if he ended up living in the spirit world Iroh style,dude is super spiritual.

The Sharmat posted:

Really? Right there? Seems a bit odd but I can't really think of anything earlier. Unless she started feeling that way before and just had no opportunity to show it during her exile, I guess. Still think most of the stuff that is very explicitly romantic on Korra's end is actually in the finale. Which is ok. Like I said, she's been busy.

Yeah most of it seems like it is from Asami first which fits because Korra is an awkward dork when it comes to anything romantic.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 23, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

idk if it's against the rules but i think there's a difference between posts criticizing the way the show is written and posts like

for the record i havent posted in this thread except once, like yesterday so i have no real horse in whatever race is going on

Mods are really doing less Modding overall,they were worried about maybe them getting in the way off the fun parts of the forum with too many rules. Even LP laxed up a bit.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I wonder what kind of warcrime trials are going to be brought up after this. Kuvira seemed pretty lonely at the top. Not a huge chain of command. Bataar was there though. Is Suyin going to try to play the "I was only following orders/I was on Kyoshi Island during the war." card?

Her mom spent her whole childhood getting her out of trouble,she would try.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

T-man posted:

They had the Spirit of Ultimate Evil Forever fight the hero in a giant laser fight, and then they did two more seasons. :colbert:

This still kind of annoys me,still hanging on to Vaatu being corrupted in some way coming from the comics.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Covok posted:

You mean you're not a fan of having a spirit of good and spirit of evil? I guess it really doesn't fit with the series. Probably would have been better a spirit of order and chaos. Both of those are more morally grey due to both having down sides.
Yeah I just don't like that they called him evil instead of chaotic because it doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

computer parts posted:

He's only really evil in the sense that he doesn't want to protect humanity. I mean yes that's the logical way to define good and evil but it's a selfish definition; it's not like he wanted to end existence or some dumb thing like that (though he did think he could kill Raava once and for all).

I'll concede I could be totally missing something, Raava originally doesn't want to protect humanity either she's framed as assholish from a human perspective but not literal cackling evill like Vaatu is. (10,000 years of darkness etc.)

Kibayasu posted:

I guess you're right. A single line used a few times by a single character (in addition to Robin's dumb thing) during the first season ruined it all. No point in watching any of it.

1. Taking the obvious joke too seriously chilll.
2. loving up writing(in this case characterization) can drive people away (see Korra season one where alot of people did the 3 episode test and bailed because it was mostly Pro-bending and romance.)

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 24, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

They could sell the rights to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon. All three companies are looking for new IP's, recognize the potential in a show that is watched mostly by the 18-35 demographic that'd rather stream things anyway, and have the money to give Bryke the budget they need to keep the quality of animation.

I can see Nick giving the Avatar IP one more shot (trying to sell toys/merchandise) then just selling to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon like you said. Nick aint stupid though it's going to cost those companies an arm and maybe the first born child of the shareholders.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Aw the person who made this deleted their deviantart and tumblr shame wanted to say how cool it looked.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Really, all of the original Team Avatar were lovely parents with the possible exception of Katara. Aang ignored 2/3 of his kids, Toph was a workaholic, and Sokka didn't even raise his kid *coughsuyincough*. If you include Zuko, I'm not sure what to make of Izumi, but she seems like kind of a hardass.

The idea that Zuko's kid is the only one who isn't emotionally damaged amuses me for some reason.

Suyin is so frustrating though because season 4 could've totally been avoided if she wasn't 1)So insistent on doing nothing about the roaming packs of bandits in the earth kingdom and 2)Like way nicer to Kuvira. I mean holy poo poo lady you raise this kid from when she's 8, her parents dump her off on you and you show zero affection because she's not blood related, the hell lady?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 29, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

pentyne posted:

Netflix might hire them for some original series. If they're going to drop $90 mill on an Asian GoT then they clearly have money to burn.

Woah what?

Level Slide posted:

I hope Bryke and the rest of the Avatar staff go on to make other beautifully animated things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Mymla posted:

Honestly, I'd rather see more avatar than some new thing which has a similarly horrible first season to ATLA and LOK.

They've been doing this for 12 years,they probably want to do something else.

• Locked thread