Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

iSheep posted:

So given that three years later it's almost a guarantee that the korra/mako romance subplot comes back. The characters have matured and so hopefully it won't be as terrible?

HOPEFULLY?

That was my thought too. It would be unconventional to end the series with the main character unattached, and I don't know if they'd introduce someone new for her.

Also, the Nostalgia Critic isn't gonna be happy with all this icky swamp action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Thread title should have been Legend of Korra Book 4: They're All In Their Twenties Now.

Also, there is no way in hell we could have seen Nickelodeon advertise a show starring a bunch of twenty year olds. I'm willing to bet the move to online-only was specifically caused by Mike and Bryan going "So we end the third season with Korra in a wheelchair and Book 4 happens three years later when none of our main characters are teenagers anymore."

Sure, but Kai and the airbending kids are all three years older, so it's not like the cast is devoid of characters for the original target demographic to latch onto.

I'm really curious to see the effect of the time skip on Bolin (Will he be less of a goofball with a couple years of maturity?) but especially on the airbending kids. We can more or less predict how Jinora will be as a young teen, but what about Ikki and Meelo?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Having just seen this clip, I can say with some certainty that they are ripping off the Will/Jaden Smith masterpiece "After Earth."

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
That ep was...all right. I was saying all along that they should have just made the Red Lotus the villains of both of the last seasons, and this episode didn't do anything to change my mind.

But the season is young.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

uncleKitchener posted:

Okay, that won't happen, but I'm waiting for Kuvira to go from villian to anti-hero towards the end of the season once new baddies pop up.

I don't mind the sound of that, but it might seem weird for the final nemesis for the entire series to just be some random new baddie that pops up halfway through the season.

Maybe Zaheer will break out of the hoosegow and start a new reign of terror

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Not sure if it's been posted, but the Nicktoons channel is going to air every episode of season 3 this week(?). That's right, on the TV.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

TheModernAmerican posted:

I do not understand how the most cartoonish and silly person in this series is loved by everyone. You can't stand Bolin whistling for five seconds but a Varrick, whose whole character who is jokes with that level of painful awkwardness is golden.

Not all of us like Varrick. :colbert:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I think I've been pretty patient about most of the topics that have come up in this thread, but I'm really getting tired of this Evangelion poo poo. Friday can't come fast enough.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone ever liked Zuko Alone. The only reason that isn't the worst episode of the series is because Great Divide and the Painted Lady exist.

I wouldn't say it's one of the worst episodes, but I think it's only as popular as it is because serious/brooding villain-focused episodes are like nerdnip.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I don't know if it's because I just woke up or what, but that ep really had me on edge.

OH GOD the adorable spirits!!! More of this, more more more!!

Also, I think my prediction was wrong. It doesn't feel like they're setting up a Mako/Korra romance at all -- given the chance to write a letter to her, Mako's is completely mundane. And then she ends up writing Asami only, because she thinks Mako and Bolin wouldn't understand her problems. It wouldn't surprise me if this season is romance-free for Korra.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 10, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Well, she did take off from everything she knew to find herself. Clearly she found herself.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I'm kind of surprised people in this thread turned so hard against Meelo. It feels like we always have our share of apologists for the wacky "comedic" male characters (Meelo, Bolin, Varrick, Bumi).

That said, gently caress Meelo. I don't know what's worse, his fartbending or the awful plodding cadence of his speech (something he shares with Bumi).

I actually thought Ikki was fine. Jinora seems to be a lot better off when she's away from her siblings though.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yes, I know that would have would set up a shipping firestorm,

What? Between the kids and Toph?

(Oh, you mean it would imply Toph and Sokka got together?)

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
AV Club review is up. The writer shares my growing impatience for the lack of fight scenes this season. Seriously, we've gone from action-tastic season 3 to this?

This is where I say, for maybe the eighth time, that they should have just let the Red Lotus survive for one final season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Before this thread gets closed down for good, I just wanted to say, without reservation, that the last two seasons of this show had the best treatment of female characters I think I've ever seen in an ensemble cast. Like, the example that springs to mind is the scene where Korra, Opal, and Jinora go to confront Kuvira, who captured Su after her assassination attempt. Literally every player in that game is a girl or woman. That's freaking unheard of if we're not talking about some lovely magical girl anime where every character is a prepubescent girl.

Hats off to Bryan and Mike for learning from their mistakes in ATLA and integrating female characters into their stories as well as they did. What they did in that regard is, to me, just as ground-breaking as Korra and Asami becoming an implicit couple.

• Locked thread