Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, at least the quality of the thread will match the quality of the show again, if the opener is anything to go by.

That sucked, the 3 year time-skip just feels weak. I like how Kuvira's shaping up as an antagonist (with a neat fight scene that showed off some cool stuff), and that exchange between Mako and Lin was great, but some of the dialog this episode and the loving squirrel suits made me cringe a little. The redesigns of the main characters are all really lame (Korra's is the worst of all), and I love how Korra just up and abandoned everyone around her, as if she hadn't backpedaled on the developments her character had had enough already.

E: This just feels like fanfiction at this point, break out the Varrick Iron-Man suit I know you guys are wanting to do Bryke, let's bring this on home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

You only started feeling that way now?

There were small moments where I felt like that, but not to the degree I felt while watching this episode.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

I think if Varrick had a worse VA he'd be a lot less likable. Since it's sold so well, and his character actually does stuff relevant to the plot, he comes off much more like some Tony Stark-Howard Hughes hybrid tuned to a YA audience than a dumb gimmick character there only for comic relief.

I'm just waiting for the Iron Man armor at this point

They foreshadowed that for a reason last season

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

So when do we get a better title?

Agreed, change "show" to "thread" and we are golden.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel kinda silly for not getting what Varrick was doing with the Spirit vine, I was thinking he was going to wind up using it as a power source rather than as a nuke

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

The fact that you guys keep asking this makes the answer never.

How about a better OP

E: Zaofu's getting nuked so hard. I'm actually starting to wonder if Varrick won't wind up possessed somehow due to messing around with spiritual forces beyond his control and wind up as the final antagonist.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 17, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, that was an enjoyable slapfight

I've been wondering about how they'd handle a final fight between Kuvira and Korra if Kuvira does end up as the final antagonist, and that Iron Man armor from midway through season 3 with it's magnetism makes me think Kuvira will wind up suiting up for the last fight if it does go down that way. Metalbending armor sounds like there could be some fun applications somewhere in there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheBalor posted:

It might just be an inherent feature of Wang's soul. She hasn't got his memories, but she's still his reincarnation, and Wang was an inherently talented bender of all elements.

Wang Fire is gone, but his burning spirit lives on within Korra. :kamina:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sato posted:

According to IMDB episode 5 is called A New Threat. Maybe related to Varrick's spirit vine shenanigans? I really hope they aren't introducing a new villain.

Kuvira will, in all likelihood, not be the final villain of Korra. If they're ending the series I would imagine it'll be something more cosmic or world ending in scale.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sato posted:

I've seen speculation on Tumblr that Varrick will be trying to use his spirit vine sample to activate the spirit vines in Republic City. If Kuvira is trying to take over the United Republic, using the vines as her weapon could be the threat. I don't necessarily think there needs to be an epic cosmic big bad for the final season: we got that in book 2 and any more will be repetitive. Kuvira's been set up explicitly as a challenge to Korra personally, and since this season has been about Korra overcoming her doubts I don't see how adding another overarching villain will add to the show in any way. Besides, who could it be without coming completely out of nowhere?

Varrick possessed by a spirit/hopped up on spiritual energy after messing with forces far beyond his control?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Cool, so Sokka's the father of one of them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So if someone can bend small amounts of mercury in their own body, what's stopping someone from bending their own blood iron or the blood iron of others?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 26, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

I think iron would count as the metal itself, not the impurities that let metalbending happen.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that element of metalbending.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

As nice as it is for Bolin's stupidity to be highlighted by shipping him off to brain washing prison

To be fair, this time it's not stupidity so much as it is genuine ignorance of what Kuvira was doing, because up until that point Kuvira made a point of not showing that side to Bolin.

He trusted her and so did a lot of other people.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lessail posted:

i too don't want anyone to engage with my opinion on this show

and my opinion is that short haired korra is good

Some hosed up poo poo being said in this thread

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

Amon is actually a riff on Bane in the Dark Knight Rises, who uses existing tensions to power his movement but is in reality focused on revenge due to daddy issues (Ra's being Bane's metaphorical father).
How can Amon be a riff when season 1 of Korra ended an entire month before TDKR came out

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sitchelin posted:

I think Zhu Lee is sincere about serving Kuvira. Throughout the entire series she's been treated like a glorified pack mule. She does all sorts of harsh, demeaning work for Varrick and never once got so much as a thank you. His incompetence during the mech fight didn't help his case when they were eventually defeated. I think she finally reached her breaking point last episode and realized that being a thankless slave is getting her nowhere.

He also didn't hesitate even for a second to save her life when things went wrong.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

X_Toad posted:

But does that count when there was no immediate danger for him? Letting her go would have just been a dick move!

They were at the now very exposed rear of a very fast moving train. He didn't climb up a cliff or anything but there was very real and very immediate danger that he could fall off too by helping her up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

If anything, this latest stretch of episodes was too much on the nose about how much Korra sucks right now. Really, it's just uninspired element tossing, and the occasional element tossing WHILE JUMPING (oh no that got you slapped). It's frustrating. Never had that impression during earlier seasons. But, well, it's not like there isn't a drat good explanation for that. It's just... well... hard to watch.

Sometimes even something justified within the writing can still be really lovely.

Korra has barely ever actually won a fight within the show, and that's at least partially due to her being written out of most of them. They've never actually shown her decisively winning against much more than cannon fodder, at least partially due to writing it so she only fights the villain at the very end, and now that they actually have her fighting someone 1 on 1 that's not a random mook they let her get her rear end kicked.

Granted, it's partially caused by earlier bad writing more than what's happening now, but it makes it hilarious to have all these characters putting Korra up on a pedestal and worrying about how far she's fallen when she was never really all that high up in the first place.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It's less interesting to watch Korra because she can't do a slam dunk

This, but with anything important

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

I'm hoping we'll finally have a fight where korra can just go all out without some bullshit handicapping her. I like the approach they've taken with her PTSD, and I can understand her not being ready to fight. But this is the last we'll see of korra, so I want her to go out with a bang and wipe the floor as the avatar, like aang did to ozai.

Didn't Aang only do that once a writing contrivance put him in the avatar state?

E: I mean granted he did have a clean shot to kill Ozai without it but

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

How would Aang have dealt with Kuvira

This is a serious question

Aang's Anti Earth Tyrant Strategy:

1. Have the opportunity to redirect a metal stake fired by the tyrant back lethally, choose to shoot it into the ground instead

2. Get the avatar state back after having previously lost it when knocked by the aforementioned tyrant into a conveniently placed block of ice

3. Remove bending

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I liked Varrick's electromagnet trick there, it was a great way to not have him be dead weight in a fight and it really played to his strength.

And lava bending was the best thing to ever happen to Bolin's character, wow. At first I was really unsure about the mechs being around, but they're a good device for getting around the space sword problem.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did the character Steve Blum voice look a little like Spike from Cowboy Bebop?

Sydin posted:

So it wasn't enough that the villain of this season is literally Hitler, we also had to go full holocaust mode and have her moving non-earthempire nationals into prison camps? Okay.

Also Steve Blum, I love you man, but you seriously need to increase your range a bit. I had you pegged as that firebender's voice the second he opened his mouth. :v:

There is almost 0% chance Steve Blum wasn't asked to guest star as Not Spike Spiegel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well my cautious optimism's completely gone

There's no loving way this show ends on a high note

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

is the ATLA movie worth watching?

Holy gently caress no

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

What other cartoons are on at this point that compare to this show in any way?

Gravity Falls isn't really comparable in genre but blows this show out of the water in quality

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Adventure Time has gotten really boring this season and Gravity Falls is a show for little kids. Neither is really "like" Korra.

Adventure Time just had like 3 fantastic episodes in a row though, Korra hasn't had any for a long while

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I dumped Gravity Falls because of that stupid Wendy romance plotline (easily much worse than anything involving Mako), did it get better after that?

lmao there was no romance plotline man, just a 12 year old having a (completely unrequited) crush on someone who's old enough to drive

it was never taken seriously and they put it down really gently in the second season (and then loving murder it with a hatchet a few episodes later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p3SekdtKxw)

E: also it's great, first season ruled and second season is knocking it out of the park

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 2, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

Better that than Death Note.

Look at that, a wrong opinion in the Korra thread.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I saw about two minutes of the Jake episode before I turned it off. The show is just sooooooo bad right now.

Then you missed the fantastic last 5 dude, sorry about that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Does that third one mean we might get to see someone Metalbending the Avatar Statue?
More likely a giant powered armor

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Microcline posted:

And was there a reason for edgy fanfiction poo poo like bending the air out of someone's lungs or having someone's head explode?

No more of a reason than having a guy blow himself off a cliff after taking a boomerang to the face.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

All I remember about Batman Beyond is the PSA "Hey kids, drugs are baaaad" episode. :geno:

That's definitely a thing you can remember.

Personally I remember him killing off the Joker for good. :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My money's on a giant robot operated by Bataar, and taken out by Bolin and Varrick.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That fight loving ruled.

I'm glad Bolin was actually fairly competent this episode but Mako summed him up perfectly while literally a continent away: "You always have to ruin it". Just once I'd like him to do something awesome without him immediately having to undermine it somehow. :sigh:

E: Same goes for Wu. It was nice that he actually accomplished something, though, and I liked the episode a lot all around.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 5, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

It was "what" in the sense of "why does this exist"

why did you have to be the one to make this godawful thread

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

So who is Su's dad then?

Clearly Toph's casual throwing out of a plot point a lot of people cared about will lead to a bait and switch for Sokka being Su's father

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Kinda wish Zhu Li's betrayal had had a little more boom. I mean, with all the work she did to get into Kuvira's good graces, surely she could come up with something more spectacular than 'steal a component from the superweapon I'm building'?

If Zhu Li's betrayal had gone off properly, there most likely would have been all the boom you could possibly want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

I also have been rewatching ATLA and I think it does what it set to do better than Korra. Opinions man. :shrug:

I just finished the first season and I think the only episodes to skip are:

Jet - It sets up the character for his later return but eh. :shrug:

Jet has a kickass fight scene though, and this is a show where the best things are the fight scenes.

• Locked thread