Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

VanSandman posted:

From what we saw of her I AM THE LAW days, getting back to nature basically simply gave Toph an excuse to act exactly as irresponsibly as she likes again.

You know, it's beyond me why Toph went into law enforcement. She never really struck me as the type to be all about creating/maintaining social order in ATLA (but then again, she was just a kid in that series) and I always imagined her doing something more akin to what Tenzin aspired to do: wander around the world, maybe teaching new benders.

Do we know how the metal bending school was started? Did Toph just show up in Republic City, pull up a giant building out of the earth, and then said "I'm a metal bender, DEAL WITH IT."

But really, I'm just glad to see Toph's still kicking around and is a grandmaster earth bender able of seeing for thousands of miles due to her connection to the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

It started just as a normal martial arts school located a bit outside Yu Dao (which was the original spot where Republic City began) with a bunch of underdog students. The police of Yu Dao were the ones who approached Toph about learning metalbending.

Ah, cool. That makes sense. Wait, I am half-remembering something from the comics where her students had some little metal bending competition with a nearby rival school or something? Whatever. All I care about is that Toph's here and that she rocks.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Man, I dunno why Suyin wouldn't take Kuvira's threat as a threat when Kuvira's basically is saying "I'm a dictator, DEAL WITH IT." No subtly, none of that coy bullshit. You'd have to be pretty dumb to leave after that conversation not thinking you better go shore up your metal-town's defenses. Even considering Suyin's stubbornness or whatever, it's just bad leadership to not take a threat from someone like Kuvira as a very real threat!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Wouldn't it be better to go with a chinese analog like Qin Shihuang (another great uniter) or something? I mean, it doesn't scratch the hitler itch, but...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

True, but Chaing Kai-Shek isn't anywhere near as metal as Qin Shihuang.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

This is Toph. Platinum or not, going up against her whilst encased in metal seems like the awfullest of awful ideas.

Toph is basically Magneto.

Aside from the whole borderline genocidal bent.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Also, gently caress Nickelodeon, for fucks sakes.

I know, right?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, I want to see future Avatar series, but after all the poo poo that the showrunners have been through with Nick I doubt we'll be seeing something for a long while--if ever. :sigh:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Genocyber posted:

now it really is an anime

if you look into your heart you'll see that it's been anime all along :shobon:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Do you see how many grandkids that guy has? Talk about sowing wild oats!

fakee: I took a second to rethink the genealogy and realized that this was a dumb post.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The show would probably do better housed on cartoon network or something.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Toshimo posted:

If they put it on Cartoon Network, the network execs would insist that one of the characters have a Spirit Bunny sidekick and that airbenders could bend farts or something.

You're not saying anything that would make me hate the show. :colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The joke is that both of those things already exist in the show.

Yeah, but I was imagining that on CN those features would be more pronounced somehow. There is a regrettable dearth of fartbending going on at Nick.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Is that what you're posting?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I liked the whole episode. :shobon:

TVIV makes me wonder if I'm really easy to please or if goons are just the most capricious motherfuckers alive.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, like I said. I liked the whole episode, complete package. Rather satisfied with that clip episode, the characters reflecting on their past actions was nice. I've seen worse.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Hauldren Collider posted:

Some of you may like the clip show (I sure didn't) but that doesn't change the fact that I'm sure all of you would have preferred actual new stuff and a real episode.

Well yeah, but I'd also prefer a world without racism and a billion dollars to boot. If you keep wanting something you're not going to get then you're probably just not going to enjoy what you have. :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

If I ever become a crazy eccentric billionaire I'll just waste my fortune away funding kids cartoons without a care about things like demographics and advertisers

Man, recklessly providing patronage for arts of all kinds will be my first "I'm superduper rich" move.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Pomp posted:

Cartoon Network has literally shut down Youg Justice for having too much of a female fanbase.

Hahaha, I forgot about that. You know what, why didn't they cancel MLP because of the male fanbase it attracted?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think My Little Pony is on Cartoon Network, but the reason would be that boys generate more toy revenue.

Yeah, but, like, it's not as if the only thing you can sell to girls are toys (execs making that young justice call have a bad business strategy, man). Or as if girls don't buy toys at all!

Man, how can people be that loving dumb and unintentionally hateful?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Preview for Episode 9 is up.

That line reading on "I'm gonna poke it with a stick!" is the best for a one-off character since "Hey Makooohhhhh...oh."

The delivery for "Why would anyone do that?" was just as great. :allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Ravane posted:

I dislike how Kuvira, a white earthbender, is treating all the black earthbenders. It's like Ferguson all over again. Who does she think she is, Captain Phillips?

It's pretty telling that you call the light-skinned woman in an east asian setting/influenced world white and not asian. :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Don't you dare bring that Ferguson poo poo to this thread.

I dunno how it's bringing in Ferguson poo poo by pointing out that calling characters in an asian setting white is probably wrong. :confused:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Here, let me redirect the conversation here...

What if Kuvira, get this... is right?

Earth Nation for Earth Benders. :colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

With a legion of metalbenders, it should take a couple hours to get a railway up, really.

Manual labour in this universe is a lot easier when you move the labour with your fists.

I mean, bending still is probably backbreaking labor. You try striking martial arts poses for hours on end and see if you're not tired by the end of it! Also there's probably some sort of mental strain involved with bending.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Thread title changed. I hope we can all get along now.

Using an anime reference to deflect accusations of being anime? That's some next level thread titling right there.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

G Gundam is way dumber than I remember it being.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

this allusion meant posted:

Ugh. The only way this mess can be redeemed is if the finale includes Bataar searching his soul and concluding that, yes, killing him alongside the bulk of the enemy leadership would have in fact been worth it if it had worked. Pleeease let there be at least one interesting character before it all ends.

Bataar Jr's clearly the kind of guy who values personal relationships above achieving political victories. Making him discard all that to be like "yeah, no Kuvira, I totally am not mad you tried to kill me even after how much I've been loyal to you/loved you" would be beyond stupid.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Sydin posted:

I don't really get that vibe from him. Sure he loves Kuvira and values her over her ideals, but in that same scene he also scorned his mother's genuine apology & attempt to reconcile whatever had caused their rift. If anything he seems like the kind of guy who's willing to cut ties with his entire family over something as petty as an implied inferiority complex towards his father.

I would argue that Bataar rebuffing his mum's attempt to reconcile was him remaining personally loyal to Kuvria, not because he scorns affection in general (heck, I'd say it's an example of him being very swayed by personal loyalties because he's so into Kuvira that his mum's genuine apology fell on deaf ears). The inferiority complex stuff is worth pointing out, though, I had entirely forgotten that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jimbot posted:

And the 20 episode format The Last Airbender had.

Seriously, this is inarguably the biggest flaw of LoK. Most of the problems with Korra could be fixed if its creators had more episodes to do poo poo (or they could have given us even MORE Makorra, but who knows :shrug:).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

There are no winners in internet discussions, only people who like reading their own words.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Really, once metal-bending was introduced in the last series the only possible end result was giant mecha fights.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I'm sad we won't be getting avatar ever again.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

This is all clouding the most important part of the episode, which is -- Guys, did you see that takedown that Korra did on Kuvira in the mecha command bridge? Like there wasn't any bending involved at all, Korra straight up leapt-up and grabbed Kuvira by the shoulders with her legs. That was some crazy BJJ poo poo right there, it was awesome!!!

Between that and the Mako & Bolin fights the Avatar finale was looking like a magical MMA match.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

Agreed :)

I'm a little surprised that Wu gave up the throne, considering he runs the world

It was predictable, but Prince Wu won a place in my heart by the end. :allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Genocyber posted:

FLCL remains Gainax's best anime.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out. It's good, not good for an anime, just good.

It's the best coming-of-age story I've seen in a cartoon.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

A remake of the original will happen 20 years from now.

Done entirely in 3D smell-o-vision.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I think filler stops being filler when it actually adds something to the plot and/or character development. Then it's not filler, it's just good story-telling. What you guys are asking for are more instances of good storytelling, not Korra & Co go to the ramen shop and have some laughs.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Michael Bay's Legend of Korra would be over-the-top as gently caress.

Korra would be played by a white woman in blacktan-face.

God I hope we never get another live-action avatar korra movie (and we won't, thank God). There are just so many ways to gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Best Hair

• Locked thread