Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
1. lol @ Meelo's drawing skills

2. Glad they finally addressed that Amon and Zaheer had points. And Unalaq I guess.

3. I spent the first 18 or so minutes convinced it would turn out Toph was dead all along, and when the show made a point of showing the kids ignoring her, I thought I had called it. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Someone claiming to have worked on the movie posted a defense of Shyamalan (not of the movie) on an Avatar forum once; I think it was linked from here somewhere much earlier on in the thread. I'm not sure I believe them, but if true, it laid out a fairly plausible series of circumstances leading to a number of decisions in the film; they implied that M. Night was actually trying to salvage a film that was wrecked by Hollywood execs making demands of the movie. That person did lay the blame for a few things like the name pronunciations squarely on Shyamalan, though.

Perhaps this is the ultimate Shyamalan twist; the movie was all a setup to blow our minds years later when we found out what a hero he actually was

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Torquemadras posted:

If there should ever be another series in this franchise, I hope they get even more modern, with new bending subschools as well to reflect the changing times. Behold... the PLASTICBENDER

That doesn't sound very impressive, huh

I had the same idea for the future too; I was thinking that in the future, as the world gets more and more globalized, the distinction between humans and spirits and between the four elements would eventually be forgotten, as bending evolves into a bunch of incredibly niche abilities, like plasticbending, machinebending, etcetera. Then the series could be about the place of the Avatar in such a world--if such a thing ever existed.

Anyway enough of my fanfic! I was happy to have Toph involved, but I was a bit sad that she basically confirmed we wouldn't be seeing a scene where she, Katara, and Zuko team up to wreck poo poo. (Unless... that's their way of hinting that there WILL be such a scene!)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

RIP all the brave souls lost on the Day of the Colossus

RIP Bumi
RIP Kya
RIP General Iroh
RIP Cabbage Corp

Good job Tahno :unsmith:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

If another Avatar series happened I'd love it to jump forward and have the public be somehow jaded/not care about the Avatar. Like she/he becomes some sort of relic of another age and the entire world just stops giving a poo poo. Have it be set in modern day/the future that way we could see even more cool technological/bending poo poo :allears:

I had this idea; in my version bending would have evolved into such specific niches, and the world would have become so globalized, that even the distinctions between the four elements and distinctions between human and spirit have vanished over the years. There would have been several generations of Avatars gone by who didn't even know they were the Avatar, until one, for some reason, discovers their untapped potential and is forced to examine what it means to be an Avatar in a world which can handle its own problems and is pretty much as unified as it could reasonably be.

Or you could go Buffy on the premise and make it so that there are a whole bunch of active Avatars that cheapen their title and purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

THE ERA OF BENDING IS OVER

• Locked thread