Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The final insult to this show from Nickelodeon is uploading the trailer in 480p on Youtube.

Have they ever released the musical scores for LoK? The music for the show has been really on point, especially in book 3, and the trailer music is always great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

C'est la vie.

Kinda spoilery fanart from the Book 4 trailer:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The guy who did the "Service and Sacrifice" track just posted the music from the Book 4 trailer, sans voice-overs at the start and end.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremy-zuckerman/balance-legend-of-korra-book-4-trailer

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

I just hope Korra does not just bust down the door, going "YO SUYIN LET ME STOP YOU FROM SUCCEEDING". My - hopeful - guess is that Suyin's assassination attempt goes wrong, chaos breaks out and Korra forces everyone back into a stalemate, perhaps even saving Suyin from total annihilation.

What I'm saying is: I hope we actually see some upsides of Korra's new approach, instead of delaying the inevitable. I don't want the show viewers to walk away with the impression that we could've saved several episodes if Korra would just have demolished everyone right at the start. Basically, Suyin's assassination can only worsen the entire situation, even without interference, so that there is a POINT to Korra's approach. Everything else would feel kinda frustrating.

...of course, I hope for a mixture of that and gratitous magical kungfu.

Isn't there a shot in the Book 4 trailer of Su Yin and the twins in manacles? It's pretty much guaranteed that Su's assassination attempt will fail, Kuvira will use it as a reason to double down on her rhetoric, and Korra will be forced to step in to save Su Yin and/or Zaofu. Kuvira has been built up as way to adept and ahead of everyone else to be taken out by an assassination attempt, and she was raised by Su, so she knows how Su would react better than anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if it lead Kuvira deploying her spirit vine weapon against Korra and jumpstarting the main Book 4 plotline of "the Avatar vs Fascist dictator with terribly dangerous technology".

Edit: Yep. Looks like clapirons or some kind of metal restraining device to me.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 1, 2014

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ETB posted:

Was it just me or was Kuvira going to "take out" Korra with sharpened metal blades before Opal/Jinora intervened?

P.S. Jinora saved Korra's life. Again.

That's one of the closest times, aside from showing Tarlokk fighting, that they've shown just how balls crazy lethal bending could be if this wasn't a kid show.

I mean, it looked like she was about to behead Korra before the airbenders stepped in.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Frankly just having Korra hit her opponent with something would be nice. I understand the symbolism, just like I understood the symbolism in her fight with Zaheer. That doesn't make it any less boring when the whole fight is just Korra slamming into the ground over and over after missing over and over and she isn't allowed to even put on the appearance of competing with her opponents until the very last fight of the very last episode. As bad a villain Amon was to fight at least Season 1 got to show Korra do something against the other supporting villains.

It's weird that I'm interested in basically everything except seeing Korra fight, is all. Seeing the Avatar fight should not be the equivalent of the alien of the week in Star Trek disabling Worf to prove how badass they are, final second PTSD episodes aside. You can have the protagonist lose a fight, keep your theme and narrative intact, and still making it interesting to watch.

This is my only complaint about the season so far. It's possible to have someone lose a fight while still putting up a good fight. Look at Bolin, Varrick, and Zhu Li versus the Bataar Jr and his soldiers in the mechs. Bolin put up a great fight, utilized his skills and the environment effectively and still lost because of Varrick's mistakes and Bataar's seizing of a tactical advantage. It's not difficult to show a character as being overmatched without reducing them to an unbelievable shadow of themselves. Korra was literally bending mountains and propelling herself through the air versus Zaheer, but the she can't crush Kuvira or wrap her up in air? I understand the need to show Korra as still recovering and deeply afflicted by her mental issues, while also showing how her wild, emotional style of bending can be defeated by Kuvira's more disciplined, focused metalbending style. But honestly every villain has had a more disciplined bending style than Korra, so it just seems redundant.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Where has Pema's baby been the entire time?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The Varrick/Zhu Li proposal was perfect. Also Hiroshi taking one for the team was genuinely sad. If Korrasami is a real thing then I am staying off of Tumblr tomorrow.

My feed seems to be working okay, halfway through so far.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ETB posted:

KORRASAMI IS REAL AND NEVER FORGET IT.

SPINNING LAVA DISK.

Mako being useful for loving once, with lightning of course.

The Korra and Kuvira fight was great.

Beifongs loving owning all over the place.

Why is Bolin officiating weddings?

The Airbenders saving each other was so loving cute and also terrifying.

The Korra and Kuvira talk at the end was kinda sappy and forced, but works for the theme of the Avatar not just being about blowing poo poo up, but reconciling conflicts.

They went way past hinting at Korrasami. Had this not been a kids show or had it been a het couple, they would've kissed right there at the end.

Great ending, great wrap up, pretty good character development for everyone. Sad to see the series go away (until it gets rebooted or sold off or whatever), but strong send off despite Nickelodeon shenanigans.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, why are you guys so ecstatic about it? :confused: I mean, it was really cool and progressive and all, but personally I'm mostly happy that it didn't end in a Deus Ex Machina.

It was honestly a really organic development of a relationship that, even had it never transitioned to romance, was a good example of two young women being supportive and protective of each other in ways that don't involve relying on stereotypes or inhibiting personal growth. I mean, yeah, it's a lot of significance to assign to a cartoon, but there aren't a lot of positive examples for little girls to look up to out there and this is by far one of the better ones. That they ended up together romantically doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but it is nice to see some LGBTQ representation on kids television and get away from the idea that the heroine always has to end up with whatever bland secondary male character.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

Over the course of the series Bo Lin went from a massive joke about his lack of skill as an Earthbender to literally dropping a building on someone and probably becoming the most powerful Earth bender alive, if not one of the strongest non-avatar benders ever.

Bo Lin's development has probably been my favorite over the course of LoK. He still makes lame jokes at inopportune times, but his misadventures with Varrick show that he can think his way out of some tough situations, make friendships that aren't related to being around Mako, and generally be a complete badass in a fight.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I thought this one was pretty good as well: http://angerofthegods.tumblr.com/post/105648710929/lilowoof-basically-how-lok-ended

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Chaltab posted:

She definitely used it, but only judiciously and briefly. It's part of her ongoing character development that she's not just switching on her phenomenal cosmic power indiscriminately.

It seemed like even in full Avatar state that Korra would've had a tough time beating the Colossus and also ran the risk of getting spirit gun'd to death while in the Avatar State (which given last seaons's events, is definitely a concern)..although now I'm wondering what would've stopped her from sitting on the things head, breaking the glass, and airbending Kuvira out of the control panel. Lack of time or possibility of getting squished, I guess?

I thought it was good character development to have her use it for a power boost when needed but mostly rely on the teamwork and coordination with other benders. That's not something Korra of S1 or S2 would've done. It also kept the fights interesting and tense so...I have no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Reene posted:

My biggest regret is that Asami didn't shockglove more suckers.

JT Jag posted:

I wish Asami invented a new gadget every year so the playing-field got more even every time she fights benders. Like, the shock-glove is a start, but she should have added rocket boots and a net-gun and other cool stuff and eventually she'd just single-handedly beat an entire group of benders in season four, like Avatar-World Batgirl

Feelin' this. Bending fights are cool, but I love to see non-benders get to gently caress poo poo up too. In addition to more Asami, it would've been cool to see Bumi in action prior to him becoming an airbender.

• Locked thread