Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I really like how the final battle took place inside of Kuviras (robots) head but peace only happened after Korra managed to get Kuvira out of there and into her (spirit) world. A very nice visual and audio depiction of a concept that they've struggled to show otherwise.

Overall I'm happy with how Korra turned out despite a very poor start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If we ever got an epilogue, which we won't, but I like to imagine, I'd love to see Varrick discovering that the Avatar world is not, in fact, flat.

With people living on both poles and a fire nation which patrolled and oppressed both I think people know that.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I misread that as "postmodern" thread, instead of "postmortem", so I was thinking about long posts influenced by Derrida, Foucault and Lacan deconstructing the politics and symbolism of ATLA and LOK. :allears:

LoK seems like an excellent topic for pomo as despite being supposedly undeniably designated the Avatar in the first instance Korra spends most of the show/her time A) not being the Avatar, B) outright failing to fulfill Avatar duties (as impressed on her by a structure while she) C) radically alters what our understanding of the Avatar is or what the Avatar is capable of or what the very structure of the 'world' around her is.

It's more than 'Hero faces adversity and overcomes', it's an attack on the concept of the Avatar through demonstration.

There's also the holy trinity of Avatar as God, Avatar as human and Avatar as individual going on throughout.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 23, 2014

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Yeah the water tribes at Aangs time were patriarchal as hell and was it actually canon that the air nomads were sexually segregated (I can't remember)?

I think it was just accepted that the Avatar is the Avatar and can be and do almost anything they want. A third sex almost, above standard protocols and hierarchy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I bet all the historians and archeologists and everyone interested in the past would absolutely hate Korra for losing the past life connection because she just destroyed a complete eyewitness historical record of the last 10,000 years from the perspective of someone who was probably right in the middle of the most exciting bits.

I mean they wouldn't be able to ask them about random trivia but just to combined with other secondary sources and confirm the timeline: 'hey did Avatar Y know Queen X? Ah so X lived well before Z happened.'

Korra you suck.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pomp posted:

Way to victim blame :colbert:

Oh absolutely (just to be clear I don't blame Korra) but irrational hatred of things is what LoK (and this thread) is all about.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

lDDQD posted:

Dude, what?!
Ok, reality check: AtLA wasn't even that good. Neither was Star Wars! It's just better than most kids' shows, not a goddamn masterpiece of cinematography.

The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Seriously AtLA was good. It had dodgy animation at points and bad plotting at points, some locations were boring but it was very rare for its weaknesses in any episode to overpower its strengths. The single episode characters were at the very least funny and there were enough little moments, looks and whole scenes with the reoccurring characters to properly characterise them, make you emotionally involved in the plot and make the whole thing good if not great.

Unfortunately Korra seemed to reverse this trend especially at the critical moments that it could have all come together until the later series.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Goodbye Avatar thread.

(Water tribe exit, best exit)

• Locked thread