Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Allegedly posted and then quickly deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

Jeskai Tempo looks sweet. Also funny in how it's playing none of the cards articles were harping on about.

I just listened to the first Constructed Resources article where they're really down on Jeskai in general and say Mantis Riders looks OK but there just doesn't seem to be any deck for it. Constructed is way harder to predict than Limited.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

How much play did Sphinx of Uthuun get? 'Cause that's Fact or Fiction strapped to a 5/6 Flier for 5UU.

I could see them maybe doing a Functional FoF reprint that's a Sorcery instead of Instant at some point in the future.

It saw play in Tier-2 Heartless Summoning decks. But Rune-Scarred Demon was almost always just better. So basically no play, really. :negative:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

I'm sure it looks appropriately fabulous.

We can probably expect delve and the other clan mechanics in Fate Reforged and the 3rd set, right?

No guarantees on that front whatsoever since the third set is supposed to be probably-not-wedge-color-themed and is sort of stands alone since it bridges the gap between 3-set and 2-set blocks (when Khans and Fate Refored Rotate out, the third set will stay).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Waffleopolis posted:

ripping packs and trading in money rares for more packs

That sounds like a terribly masochistic way to gamble and I'm sure the store owner loves it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Force of Mill? :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

Does any of the Outlast stuff work well with Phalanx Leader? Or does requiring at least 3 cards for anything to happen make it dumb?

I just want to try to make use of the Lord effects without having tapping the creatures on my turn and also keep to mono/dual colour.

I think if the First Strike or Flying or whatever Outlast lords see any Standard play it will be with Ajanis and Abzan Charms.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tracula posted:

Any sort of consensus on what to do with foil fetch lands? I could see regular ones dropping as the market gets more saturated but not really sure what to do with the shiny ones.

They'll shoot back up once they're out of print because they're better in Modern and Legacy than they are in Standard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

I love that my brother traded a guy his Wingmate Roc for a Mantis Rider, a pair of Clash Pack Promo Prophets, and a handful of other things. I can't wait for it to fall so I can see him get burned on that deal. It's totally gonna hold at $10 guys. :v:

I can't see Wingmate Roc commanding too high a price either.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I hate when people "tap" poo poo and in reality they just kind of poke the card and it barely moves. That guy gets murdered after lands-in-front guy.

What about the guy who grabs his ten lands and scoops them up into one big stack so you can only see the top one, then peels off a bunch of them to pay for a spell and puts them in second tapped stack?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I use an iphone as a proxy for each card I put onto the battlefield, using a special app I designed that shows all the card's characteristics and makes sound effects when it attacks. Also there are custom animations based on my favorite anime. Let me tell you about it...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

:drat:

Anyone who believes foreign language cards are worth more than a native language one deserves to be ripped off that badly.

I wish I could find some French cards. Apparently no one cares about French. :france:

I love french cards because they're clumsily translated (as I suspect all the non-English cards are, but I actually speak french so these ones are funny to me) and for some reason ridiculously verbose. "Teysa, plénipotentiaire de fantômes" springs to mind.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So has anyone had any luck with mardu aggro or midrange decks or is control looking like the way to go for those colors? I can't decide which route to try first.

I tried a low-cmc-leaning list with Bloodsoaked Champion, Rabblemaster, Mardu Ascendency and Butcher at the top of the curve, but the mana is really painful and the draws can be really inconsistent. I think mono-black just works better as far as aggro decks featuring Bloodsoaked champion go.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Mogis's Marauder is secretly the most blow-out-ey 3-drop in the format right now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

sarmhan posted:

My favorite is that Sturmgeist had to be renamed in German since Storm Spirit was previously translated as Sturmgeist. Thus the birth of Unwettergeist.

Didn't Immerwolf get previewed in German as Immerwolf and people were trying to figure out what the English name would be?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Xeom posted:

Should I even try to build a sliver deck in standard. I think its doable, but probably not the best thing ever.

Considering there's only 6 sliver creatures in Standard right now, I would say no.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mondrian posted:

Calvary
You-borg
Geest of Saint Traft

:psyduck:

Seleeneeya
Or-jov
Dimmer
Joond

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Pala-KRON-os? Pa-LUKE-ren-os? Paw-luke-RAN-os?

Polly.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

I've tried. Nobody ever really responds. Also, I play 60-card, non-legacy formats. My forum name with 2 4s on the end.

It's also a card that already exists: Mark of Asylum.

It's pronounced "Yund." :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpAnMkrGF8

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They actually did increase the number of Uncommons in each set with M15, so your odds of opening a particular one in a given pack are slightly lower. $3.99 for an in-print uncommon is still stupid though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

I mean I have like 6 extras so I'm not complaining.

Sell them now to whoever's willing to pay a stupid inflated price for an uncommon that sees no play outside Standard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Lord of Hats posted:

While it is funny how people flip out over it (and kind of annoying because some podcasts can't get over telling you how much they hate the names), I do hope that they allow more descriptive deck names than COLORS (AGGRO:TEMPO:MIDRANGE:CONTROL), because otherwise deck names are gonna get really, really samey, really really fast.

Temurous Beasties
Crouching Goblin, Leaping Mantis
Hungry, Hungry Hydras

We can do this, people.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hopping Ghost posted:

Use of the Apocalypse wedge names probably about tripled when nerds realized they needed them to more effectively display their impotent rage over the KTK wedge names. Nobody calls WBR anything special, but try telling them it's Mardu and suddenly gently caress you it's Dega get over it.

Mardu seems like one of the better ones to be honest. Everyone I know seems fine with it. Temur is the one people don't like.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactrot posted:

Temur is now Azerbaijani Midrange.

Bonus points for sounding like Abzan.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Buying a box now might be worth it in 6 years if fetchlands go way way back up once they go out of print, but there's more reliable ways to make money. Like just buying fetchlands as singles.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did many Morph creatures see play at SCG last weekend. Could be an interesting aspect of the format, but I don't now if any of them are constructed cards.

Just the mythic red Phoenix in a couple sideboards. There might have been some Temur decks using Rattleclaw or Sagu Mauler, but none of them made top 8.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

neetengie posted:

Grim Haruspex was in the sideboard of mono black aggro decks too I think, but yeah there weren't many morph cards.

Would you even bother casting that one as a morph ever in Constructed?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's no disadvantage to playing it face down if you're swimming in mana, but is there any other morph you could conceivably be playing in a mono-black deck? I guess it could be Ruthless Ripper. I think you could remove the morph ability and the card would have exactly the same level of constructed playability.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I basically only do sealed at pre-releases so I have months to forget how stupidly swingy a format it is. You really need both luck and skill for sealed. It's super fun when you open a good pool, but then you get the crappy pools where you can maybe grind out wins at first but you will just never beat a skilled player with an actually good pool.

theironjef posted:

So anyone running a pool about who the commander/planeswalkers will be in Commander 14? I know we know Teferi already, and I have my money on Jaya Ballard, Gerrard Capashen, Lim-Dûl, and Eladamri for the others. I mean, unless I've fallen behind the times and we know them already.

It'd be cool if they had a whole cycle of planeswalker characters from stories before there were planeswalker cards to put them on. I'd love a Jaya walker. :swoon: Gerrard wasn't a walker though, right? I have only the vaguest knowledge of storylines from that era, but I didn't think he was.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

As opposed to the other formats of Magic where you don't both need luck and skill...

Every magic format requires both, but there's a huge extra helping of luck with Sealed compared to say Draft or Constructed. You're always at the mercy of what cards you draw throughout the game to some extent in any format, but with sealed there is such a thing as just having a bad pool that no amount of skill is going get you to the top table with.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A skilled player with a bad sealed pool can often beat a bad player with a good sealed pool, but in enough swiss rounds you're eventually going to run up against a good player with a good pool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

redstormpopcorn posted:

I could totally get behind this.

Also there are a bunch of as-yet unused characters from the whole Nine Titans assault on Phyrexia, while we're pulling from the end of old Dominaria.

Man we better get a Commodore Guff.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every time a new commander set comes out I get all excited and buy one or two of the decks but then I remember that I don't actually like playing Commander very much. I think I may resist this time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It really seems like it's time for an End Hostilies deck to come in and roll all the 30+ creature green decks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Wicked Wall posted:

Quick question, when does M15 rotate out? A friend has offered 2 Thoughtseizes for my 2 Polluted Deltas, and I'm wondering if it's worth it given how long Khans will be out for (as well as the inevitable slow drop of fetch prices). I've mentioned before I eventually want to play Sultai delve, but am currently building mono black so it seems like it might be worth the trade as the seizes will remain good for a while.

Fetchlands and Thoughtseize are both Rare eternal format staples with two printings each. Who knows where the individual prices on them will land in a month or a year, but they're definitely in the same category of card, it's not like you're getting ripped off by trading a legacy staple away for a Standard card that's going to tank and never recover when it rotates out.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gensuki posted:

What are the odds Elspeth, Sun's Champion will sharply drop in price before/after rotation? I kind of want one, but I usually only play with friends, so I'm not in a huge hurry to get it. If it stays above $20 after it's not standard legal, I figure I'll get it now, but if it goes down to $10/15 I can wait a year.

After? Almost certainly. It's 6 mana spell that sees no play outside Standard / EDH. Being a planeswalker will keep it at a few bucks at least, but when it rotates it will plummet. Look up a price history on Garruk, Primal Hunter. A Standard powerhouse comparable to Elspeth, capable of ending games on its own if left unchallenged for a few turns, currently sitting somewhere south of $5 because it's too big and slow for Modern or Legacy.

You'll have to wait a year for that to happen to Elspeth though, because in Standard she's really really good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Now imagine if Delve had been in one of the red clans and we got a burn spell with Delve.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

There's a reason they only let it target creatures.

I'd bet any money though that Harvest Pyre actually is a remnant of when they tried to put Delve in Innistrad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

This came up in the facebook feed of my local play group. Apparently one of the non-locals played and won in a PTQ at da-planet and had some comments to make about the free food they were giving out to the players

And I guess he thinks we're casuals cuz when I play on the island we only get maybe 60 people for a PTQ instead of the hundreds here on the mainland. Though I did go to a WV PTQ once that only had 60 which was refreshing from the typical 200 person slog. So the judges are looking into it. :3: dunno what they can about the guy but I remember what happened with #crackgate and the one time a player "joked" about rape on Twitter so eh.

I would love to see the fallout if he gets suspended or something for unsporting conduct. Burgergate! :munch:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Personally I think only good can come out of chiding Magic players to not be sedentary fatasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think we're really feeling the lack of Doom Blade / Ultimate Price right now. If you want unconditional removal it costs 3 color-intensive mana now, and that's a huge difference from 1B. That and Supreme Verdict obviously. Bumping up how much 1-for-1 removal and board wipes cost by 1 mana makes a ton of difference to how the first 5 turns plays out in any given matchup.

• Locked thread