Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Pyronic posted:

Can someone explain this? Is he known for having cheated somewhere before?

Alex Bertoncini is one of the leading names in tournament magic cheating, in this age of video replays letting us all watch him cheat long after he's gotten away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Attorney at Funk posted:

This leads me to wonder: which MTG player would be the least surprising murderer? My money's on Conley Woods.

Take another look at Sheldon Menery and tell me you're sure he doesn't have a sex-murder dungeon in his basement. I bet he slyly refers to it as "the command zone".

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So was my 'get in to magic' post poo poo or just not noteworthy? :(

Newbies generally don't read the first post of the megathread cover-to-cover, in my experience. Better to let them get confused and ask questions.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Angry Grimace posted:

I have no clue what "tempo" even means in terms of a deck or a card. :shrug:

Tempo is Blue Aggro, the same way Sligh is Red Aggro and Stompy is Green Aggro. Sligh plays burn, which can cut blockers or go to dome; Stompy plays pump spells, which can cut removal or go to dome (or maybe slam a blocker); Tempo plays countermagic, which cuts removal and sometimes blockers. Mix and match depending on format to get Zoo, UR Delver, etc.

All these decks want to dominate the board for the first 3-6 turns, after which time they tend to run out of cards, but hopefully the opponent is dead by then. The only reason Tempo is thought of as separate from Aggro, is because it tends to play noncreature spells that can't directly convert to damage; this means the more Tempo you have in your build, the slower you tend to be playing.

EDIT: Why do I ever post in this thread without quoting who I'm responding to?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Baron Harkonnen:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/timblock/14380_Sullivan_Library_Back_to_the_ProTour_Baron_Harkonnen_in_Time_Spiral_Block.html

Mahamoti Djinn, a flying fat guy, was the Baron.

EDIT: According to one of Mike Flores's better articles, Finding the Tinker deck, the big innovation in that deck was was adding green stuff, mainly Sylvan Library and Gaea's Blessing, to a blue permission shell.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 2, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Value usually refers to card advantage, which is more of a Midrange thing - Tempo is definitely burning through cards trying to finish quickly, while Midrange grinds for value to make the game unwinnable. (Tempo is usually favored when they're matched up, because countered value engines rarely provide value.)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

How can I do an either-or text search on magiccards.info? I'm trying to search for all the cards in my color identity that Mwonvuli Beast-Tracker can find.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yawgmoth posted:

My prerelease gave me a drat amazing mardu pool (butcher, a couple ponyback brigade, a pile of removal) that I went 1-3 with because no matter how or how much I shuffled I could only ever get 2 land or 12. Infuriating to get turn 1 1-drop, turn 2 2-drop, turn 3+ HURRRRRRRRRRRR.

This is why people are saying to play 18 lands. Because you WILL have action at 3, and so will your opponent.

theironjef posted:

I thought the whole thing was that the 5 new guys are "previous legends that were not planeswalkers before but are being represented as such now."

Teferi was a planeswalker, pre-mending. He surrendered his spark as part of the mending process. His power-level was comparable with Urza, but he didn't really want to mess with trying to fight Phyrexia.

EDIT:

Madmarker posted:

He really does. However, he couldn't be a planeswalker, as he was never able to acquire a spark, nor did he have one inherently. So what would he be, a creature? An enchantment? I mean, he WAS the original plane of Phyrexia.

What? No. He was a pawn of an actual evil planeswalker, Leshrac, who got chumped out by Urza during Apocalypse.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yawgmoth posted:

He's fun as hell with Jhoira, though. I should tweak that deck to be modern legal just to see if I can pull off turn 4 hasty Emrakul in a tournament.

4x Mountain -> Desperate Ritual -> Through the Breach?

EDIT: vvv Legacy Weapon?

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 3, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

field balm posted:

Wierd question: how do you guys test making really small changes to an existing deck? Is there any theory on it? I'm talking about like, 1 or 2 cards in a slow deck. This is one of the things that often makes me give up on brews, the final five percent or whatever that is incredibly important, sometimes I can test a new card for like 10 matches and see it twice.

I see pro testers doing a lot of 'fudging' - saving playtest time by, like, casually Scrying three on every draw step to help induce the situation they want to test. You don't want to just set up sample hands because that doesn't give you a feel for the odds, but fudging by a fixed amount should give you a loose feel for how likely it is that, say, you'll have an answer every time you see threat X.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elyv posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wealth see Constructed play, but I'd expect it to be more of a Genesis Wave style of deck, where the goal is to cast it for comically large numbers.

You know Saito posted a list for that, right? With Dictate of Karametra?

I got to watch it tear a Junk Constellation deck to shreds. You have no instant-speed interaction and all your permanents have highly synergistic ETB triggers? :getin:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Is it possible they changed the rules on Pauper, or maybe they plan on changing them but it got implemented too soon by mistake?

You're talking about an eternal format where they banned Storm spells. There's no way this isn't a fuckup.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

What does the MODO terms of agreement say about exploiting bugs? Will I get in trouble if I use my 4 Hymn to Tourach, 4 Sinkhole, 4 Strip Mine deck in a Pauper daily?

AFAIK, all the bug exploit decks like Spirespine and Order of Succession are reprehensible but not bannable, so I'd expect this is fine too.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The previous version of MODO was developed by a midwestern software company they hired. When they decided to go back to in-house for V4, they also decided to keep the same operating budget. In Redmond Goddamned Washington. It's very hard to convince high-ranking corporate officers to spend money if the business is making money, which for now it is.

EDIT:

suicidesteve posted:

Island was in the rare slot of some packs of Alpha.

I remember reading they intentionally put an Island on the rare sheet of Antiquities to screw with people. The Arabian Nights Mountain was just a leftover from having basics in the set, I don't think it was on the rare sheet.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Harmonica posted:

If their official Magic client in the future somehow looked like the Planeswalker/Magic games would you guys be all over it? Or is presentation not really the biggest issue, just robustness and quality of life UI improvements? For people in the community who make Hearthstone comparisons it seems like often that is the biggest beef - that the game is massively superior but the client doesn't do it justice.

The presentation in the V4 client is perfectly adequate, it's just that literally every other thing in the client and server is lovely and unreliable.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Count Bleck posted:

Ugin's Nexus is getting a spot in any EDH deck I have running Clever Impersonator and Phyrexian Metamorph in and I will not have you disrespect how awesome it is THANK YOU VERY MUCH :reject:

Just a heads-up, I hope you're not planning to get extra turns solely by legend-ruling them into the graveyard. Read that first ability closely...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress.

The only way I could find to go infinite with it is to stuff it in a Prototype Portal, and then sac the clones. If the second ability were worded like Academy Rector's, then that wouldn't work either...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

My question about Pucatrade: Is there a place you can put money in to get Pucapoints? If there isn't, I can't figure out how their business model works, but they do not mention it in any of the overviews.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

xeose4 posted:

Wow that was very thorough! Thanks, I'll definitely check those out.

Out of curiosity, have they ever printed a vampire card that lets you turn an enemy's creature into a vampire (in addition to its current creature types) and then gives you control of it? It seems like a thing that is bound to see print at some point.

Everyone already said Olivia Voldaren, but there's also Captivating Vampire.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I thought the problem was more "I have Werewolf Guy and Transformed Werewolf Guy, but then I set off the day/night trigger and I have to sac one of them."

The obvious answer is to give Werewolf Guy the Immerwolf ability.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cheating at a physical sport usually involves tweaking one of the physical parameters of the game in a way that makes you appear extra-skillful. Cheating with advantageous misplays is analogous to this, and less offensive. Cheating by stacking a deck doesn't create the illusion of skill, it creates the illusion of luck.

Nobody likes losing to luck, and everybody's used to writing poo poo off as "variance," so finding out that your opponent used that bias toward accepting bad luck to hide a cheat is infuriating.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

He's like, the perfect missing piece to make my monored EDH deck do what I want it to. He makes Trash for Treasure playable!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sampatrick posted:

Sundial of the Infinite immediately ends the turn, do not pass go, do not collect a million dollars. I think it might also skip clean up?

You can't skip cleanup, because then your Giant Growth wouldn't have a chance to end, damage wouldn't be cleared off creatures, etc.

It does skip the end step though, so most stuff that triggers "at end of turn" misses.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

A reminder that it gets around grafdigger's cage :3:

Grafdigger's Cage says "creature cards" but I suppose it matters if you're doing this to fetch back your artifact creatures.

Count Bleck posted:

Daretti could've probably had 'deals X damage to target player, where X is equal to the cards discarded' tacked onto his +.
But that's the world we live in I suppose.

That wouldn't be Commander Damage so you'd be running the same horse race as everyone else.

Personally, I think I'm going to try to build Daretti with proliferate, the better to enable his emblem, so I can toss in a couple of poison sources for those infinite-life guys...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

They maybe made the outfit a bit too similar. Elspeth Tirel was a Knight of the Reliquary, but they didn't copy the outfit and hairstyle from one to the other so exactly.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I thought the binding of the Eldrazi was pre-Mending, which would perfectly well allow Nahiri to be wandering around in the storyline's present.

If not, then hopefully Ugin and Sorin recruit Koth to replace her! :D

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dredge Pie: While staring your opponent in the eye, take heaping forkfuls of your pie and fling them at the floor. Then trade some of the bits that fell on the table for the knife you hid in the pie, and stab your opponent in the kidney.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What do I play:

Standard: I played Tempered Steel and I played Pod. I almost built an aggro deck for this standard, but then decided not to, and made all my money back on those $5 Rabblemasters.

Modern: Loamshift. I still have R/W prison but I would need to renovate it and I have yet to decide how.

Legacy: Esper Robots. It's bad and I don't care, I killed a guy last weekend in a game where I didn't even bother dropping a land. Currently Esper for Stoneforge Mystic and Ethersworn Canonist, but might go back to Grixis for Galvanic Blast and Shrapnel Blast.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mango sentinel posted:

Whenever I see him at cons I feel bad because I hate his terrible art, but from the time I talked to him, he really is a nice, gracious dude.

I would absolutely love to describe him, to his face, as "a guy that's been drawing lumpy stuff on magic cards longer than anybody." Of course, I actually like the lumps in a lot of cases - they add texture and character to stuff like Urza's Power Plant or Primal Beyond.

I wonder if he knows how to draw Lumpy Space Princess...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Toshimo posted:

Threadshitting is so much easier than actually improving at the game, though.

You would know.

deftest posted:

I think those guys don't fully realize what they're doing/saying. It's important to hold that mirror up every once in a while. If a new player is beating their tier 1 mono-black with a nonsense Yisan deck and they say "that's gay!" I give them the old "Oh, you don't like gay people?" They're usually confused by that response, and hopefully think about why the words they just said were reacted to in that way.

Ugh, these people sound awful. That's the one thing I miss about playing Standard FNM, getting matched up against somebody's insane bullshit brew. The "what even is this" phase of the game is one of my favorite things...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

logis posted:

I sorta like the fake spoiler stuff, if only to think about the implications/rules of what they printed, like...
How do you turn a token face down?

You can't! It just sits there, being what it already is. Same as DFCs.

Ixidron already turns arbitrary creatures face-down.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lancelot posted:

Drafting the new cube (SO FUN) has made me wonder — is Bitterblossom Modern playable? I remember it dominating Standard for a while. but it doesn't seem to crop up in any of the modern deck I'm familiar with.

There's a consistent tier 2 Modern deck that just makes a billion tokens (W/B Tokens) that likes it. Modern U/B Faeries failed to materialize, however.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Really, the missing reprint from that box is Damnation.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

If the split-second spell's casting causes a triggered ability to trigger, somehow, then THAT trigger is untouchable, because it goes on the stack above your spell automatically. Like if you Krosan Grip a Standstill, you can FORCE your opponents to each draw three cards. :shepface:

EDIT: Or maybe you have Purphoros and Dovescape and you cast Take Possession, that'll do 14 damage to each opponent with split second. But at some point you could just kick Molten Disaster and be done with it.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 26, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

JerryLee posted:

I'm sorry, but forcing your opponents to draw cards is nothing new :smaug:

Yeah, but that loses to Counterspell, my version has split second.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

aunt jemima posted:

Inked Playmats has 35% off everything, including custom mats. Just got this for $20.57 shipped :coal:

I know just the guy who needs one of these. Is that for sale on their site or did you submit that as a custom?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I have a friend who's been experimenting with Summer Bloom and Scapeshift into Maze's End. It's kind of :shepface: but it's apparently very fast.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Unban Stoneforge Mystic, ban Batterskull. (I just got GW hatebears together and SFM colorswords would wreck everyone forever)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Stumiester posted:

Whats the tutor and how easy is it to sell? Because the idea of trying out different decks and swapping cards in and out of decks rather than just buying a deck outright is attractive, but maybe its better to just buy a deck and some ancillary cards. But that might be as expensive as getting the duel pack...

He means Demonic Tutor, which is in the Demonic deck, and he's overestimating its sell price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I've recommended before, and I will again, teaching a newbie with a Soul Sisters variant. There's lots of synergies and triggers, but they're all positive - every time you remember something, you get a reward! Plus then you can give yourself a burn deck or something that will have a terrible matchup against them, giving them plenty of time to figure out how to play.

• Locked thread