Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm glad to see Narset win a tournament. The card seems to get underestimated because it's a 3-power creature for 6, but she really does do something fundamentally broken. She also seems to be in a good place right now since Crackling Doom and End Hostilities are about the only things that kill her. That Jeskai Deck looks so sick, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more copies of Narset.

If you listen to the guy who won, he said that she's just a 1 of in the sideboard for removal-heavy matchups. Making it out like Narset was the cornerstone of the deck is a bit inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

stinkles1112 posted:

Uuuh sorry tapping to the left is actually fine and also correct :colbert:

Sure, but only if you think you're supposed to rotate the card 270 degrees instead of 90.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

How is Wingmate Roc sitting higher than Siege Rhino?

Presumably because it's a higher rarity and at least theoretically can go in more decks.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SierraNovember posted:

It would be nice to be at least somewhat competitive without having to go down the full on net-decking which kind of takes away some of the fun, even as a beginner, it would be cool to stand a chance to win making 'better plays' than purely because someone else spent £1000 on their deck.

If you don't like the net-decking aspect of constructed, you could try limited. Draft is a great way to level the playing field.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

LordSaturn posted:

The presentation in the V4 client is perfectly adequate, it's just that literally every other thing in the client and server is lovely and unreliable.

What I don't get is why they don't have an option to decrease the (unnecessarily high) graphical fidelity to improve performance like I dunno, every other PC game ever? I'm fine with things looking like v3, if it means I don't have to deal with the client locking up for 20 seconds every time I click OK.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 15, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

It does actually tell in the chat log what was in their hand.

Yeah, the only time it's actually necessary to write down their hand is when you get to look at their hand without them revealing it, e.g. with Vendilion Clique.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

jassi007 posted:

And yet the Louisiana state champ deck by Tom Ross, excluding eidolon from his sideboard costs like $20

Is this a real deck, or was it just a good meta call?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

DarkRider09 posted:

I've been messing around with building a Whip deck for standard just as a goofy, fun project. While thinking of possible whip targets there are some weird interactions that came up.

The one I can't quite be sure of the ruling is clever impersonator. If I whip it back, does it become a new object on the battlefield and not get haste, but also not exile at the end of the turn? I think it comes down to what order do the triggers apply, or do I get to order them?

Becoming a copy of something won't override the effects of whip. It still "knows" that whip put it into play even though it became a copy of something else.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the funniest part about Mana Leak is that they realized Counterspell was too strong somewhere around 7th Edition, yet they printed Mana Leak all the way through M12.

Well, Mana Leak gets significantly less good in the late game, whereas Counterspell is just as good on turn 2 as it is on turn 12, so it's kind of understandable.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Spergy rant: Something that really bugs me about Khans is how they insisted on making a new creature type, Naga, for the snake people instead of just saying they're snakes like every other time Magic has had snake people, but all the Ainoks are hounds. Come on, Wizards, at least be consistent!

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Jonked posted:

Snakes don't have names, therefore Naga.

Hounds have arms and legs, therefore no Ainoks.

If you are an actual snake, or an anthropomorphic snake with arms and legs, your creature type is snake, unless you don't have legs in which case you're a naga? This makes no drat sense. Either make all of the anthropomorphic snakes belong to a single race or start making more distinctions over minor morphological differences with all of the races, e.g. make the vedalken with 4 arms a different race then the ones with 2 arms.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

AnacondaHL posted:

alex Bertoncini 1205286779 cortlandt manor NY United States 2014-10-24 2017-10-24

Yesss :vince:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Sotar posted:

He called them a "bad Rush with the lead singer having a more annoying voice"

It's undeniably true, though.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

PleasantDirge posted:

Also I figured out my problem with nummies stream music. It's all pop singles. No B sides, no weird tracks, just radio singles. And yes I am a horrible music snot so it's prob 50/50

Agreed. Why bother streaming music if literally anyone could just turn to the top 40 station and hear the exact same stuff?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Bonus posted:

Haha bingo! Loam decks don't usually run Flusterstorm. So yeah, don't just put stuff on the stack all at once for no reason is what I learned from this.

In paper, if you just say "play 4 lightning bolts," without specifying that you're holding priority, isn't the default assumption that you're waiting for each to resolve before playing the next, in case the opponent has a response?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I couldn't find anything in the comp rules, but the tournament policy has this to say:

Whenever a player adds an object to the stack, he or she is assumed to be passing priority unless he or she explicitly announces that he or she intends to retain it. If he or she adds a group of objects to the stack without explicitly retaining priority and a player wishes to take an action at a point in the middle, the actions should be reversed up to that point.

This blog post clarifies the reasoning behind it. I still wouldn't try it at a random FNM in case they have a bad judge, though.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

The bottom line is don't be dink and try to rules lawyer, just cast your poo poo normally.

It almost always makes more sense to wait until the stack is empty before taking another action, so requiring people to ask "response?" 4 times instead of just "cast 4 lightning bolts" so they don't get gotcha'd just needlessly extends games and therefore events.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

If they have no response it really doesn't take that long to go "Bolt? Bolt? Bolt? Bolt? GG." And honestly how often does four spells in a turn like that even come up?

Not just spells, any time you want to do multiple things. That blog post gives some other good examples. They add up. Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, but you shouldn't be punished for trying to move the game along more quickly, and I'm glad the tournament rules are written that way.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Reef worm owns, can't wait to hear MaRo whine about how it breaks the color pie and should be green instead :qq:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like more relevant than commander damage is the fact that it's going to be really hard to keep them alive when folks can attack them directly. And in Teferi's case, he doesn't have any realistic game plan to stay alive unless you're already winning handily. Maybe Stasis until you can tick up to the emblem?

Yeah, in my experience, even bad walkers with barely-relevant abilities get taken out as soon as possible in EDH. Maybe having one as your commander mitigates that somewhat, since attacking it isn't a permanent answer, but I'm not seeing a lot of incentive to use one instead of a creature.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Madmarker posted:

Is she though?

Like ok, in a competitive magic context Stone Forge Mystic is better, that is true. BUt that is largely a factor of mana costs.

If Nahiri cost the same as Stoneforge, then I think Nahiri is more powerful. I tend not to look at mana cost when considering how powerful something would be in canon.

Also, Stoneforge is only more powerful given that you have certain other cards in your deck- just in a vacuum, one on one, the Planeswalker is clearly better than a squire.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mikujin posted:

I dunno, return for 3 and redrop for 1 seems ok.

The point is that they can bounce it in response to you casting the equipment clone so that you can't clone it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
God, I hope I don't have to play modo where I can't shuffle my opponent's deck- oops, did I say that out loud?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

sarmhan posted:

Have another new card:

I almost thought this could be legacy playable, but then I saw it only hits creatures... :(

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

I think he's more saying that its unfair to try and influence new cards by comparing them to Legacy and supplemental product cards because the color pie is broken from the beginning because it was never really established, or was broken much more routinely. He has no particular influence there anyways since he only can control sets he has oversight over, which are basically only new block sets.

I think it's totally fair, given that the card he's bitching about is only legal in eternal formats.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

So, uh, after a lengthy absence, Vintage Masters is returning to MTGO! Its going up again alongside the new Legacy Cube. They've developed a second Cube that is only Legacy-legal cards and is slightly smaller. The Holiday Cube is still powered and runs at different times than the Legacy Cube does, which is Nov. 19-Dec. 10 to start.

Yay for Cube MTG, I guess?

Does this mean we can expect the cube queues to pay out in VMA packs? Sounds sweet, either way.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Most people have the most room for improvement on the trading aspect of the trading card game, and it amazes me when they brush it off because they are bad at it because they can pretend that they are bad because they have less money. Drafting Khans has subsidized my modern decks on an amazing level, and the standard constructed dudes love me for having a grip of rares that I have no attachment to that I will swap for things that are no longer playable for them. It doesn't even take more time, you just say "trades" between rounds of draft.

Making effective trades requires having an extensive knowledge of card prices and a good sense of where they're going, which to a lot of people (self included) is a lot more like work than fun. If you calculated your net profit from casually trading and divide it by the time you spend, I have the feeling you'd barely break minimum wage.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Battle of wits is obviously fine online, where it's just as easy to randomize 250 cards as it is in 60. The official stance on playing it in paper is that it's not reasonably possible to adequately randomize a deck of that size in the allotted time, effectively restricting it to MODO.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait, since when has magic had a maximum deck size restriction?

There technically isn't one, but there's a limit on shuffle time and a requirement that your deck is adequately randomized, and it becomes impossible to respect both once your deck is too big.

e: though if we're being pedantic, there IS a limit- it's 4 times the number of distinct cards legal in your format plus the number of basic land cards in existence :v:

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 5, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mortimer posted:

all that needed to be said

if a judge stops you from entering a tournament with a 250 card deck post it to reddit and they'll go to jail or something

They can't stop you from entering, but they will definitely get you either for failure to sufficiently randomize or slow pay for taking too much time to shuffle.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
If storm were that degenerate, surely people would start maindecking mindbreak trap? It solves the problem of auto-losing on the draw.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

It's actually about ethics in the Judging program. #GuildGate

Stop silencing innocent magic players for constitutionally protected speech like "I bet $10 on this game" and "I'm going to rape Helene Bergeot"

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
There's nothing weird about saying I "raped" my opponent. After all, men can get raped, too.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This would be bad even fore MTGSalv so, yeah, source?

I've heard people say things to that effect IRL and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something with a bit of googling. I remember there was a controversy with professional street fighter players a couple years ago about that word being thrown around casually and one of them defended it by basically saying " what is this, North Korea? Freedom of speech, bro"

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

NofrikinfuN posted:

When did MTGO become so hostile towards less-than-stellar internet connections? I used to play full tourneys on 28.8k dialup, yet lately on Verizon 4G I can't add a card to a trade binder without being instantly disconnected.

I really wanted to trade off some chaff while it still had value.

I'd blame v4. Nearly everything performance-related went way downhill.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

gang sines posted:

why is this horse not able to move its legs as it runs

That's just how quickly it morphs/ unmorphs :v:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

Since when is it still funny if it refers to rape, sexual abuse, etc.? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

That's what the term initially meant, but it's kind of been co-opted by tumblr to refer to literally anything you find objectionable in any way, which is presumably the usage he's mocking.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Nantuko Shade wasn't even printed in that block...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

BaronVonVaderham posted:

What sac effects? They're all gone.

Is mardu midrange not a thing anymore? Crackling doom seems good against heroic.

• Locked thread