Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nemico posted:

How many Rabblemaster decks did everyone see at FNM? I didn't play at mine, but I saw at least 20% Rabble decks.

I didn't see any, but I also saw literally every Planeswalker in the format get played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Empty the Pits in an aggro deck :stare:

He also exiled a Bloodsoaked Champion instead of just using a Swamp.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Korak posted:

Ascendancy Combo 11th Andrew Baeckstrom StarCityGames.com Standard Open 2014-09-27 Indianapolis

So I guess this means that combo is a thing in standard.

I don't think you can say any deck is a "thing" in standard based on the first open of the block since nobody really knows whats in anyone else's deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

FordCQC posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. Brainstorm is far superior to Ancestral Recall. :v:

Cost aside, I would rather have Dig Through Time than Ancestral Recall.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The only format where Recall is legal has restricted cards. When I say "cost" I'm referring to the casting cost.

Rinkles posted:

Not all fantastic cards are fantastic in all situations. Dig let's you pick what you need at the time.

It's because people legitimately believe card advantage is an actual rule of deck construction as opposed to a generic principle.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 29, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

Did they ever finish the invasion uncommon CIPT land cycle like coastal tower, urborg volcano, etc?

I don't think so but given that they're weaker than straight up commons in KTK I doubt they ever will.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm really torn on whether now is a good time to invest in cards or a completely terrible time to invest in cards given that we have no clue what's going to be played at the Pro Tour (which is far more likely to show us what Standard looks like than random SCG events).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Korak posted:

Don't buy random loose packs either. Box mapping is a thing.
The odds of the Pro Tour inventing some completely new archtype are low. Possible but still low. When Theros hit all the decks that ran a little bit under the radar were known by online testers(Mono Black and Blue Devotion.)

I've been toying with the 7 drop Resolute Archangel in white decks as a way to instantly get back up to 20 hp with how painful the early game is. It's one card that I could see pros taking notice of that others haven't.

"Known by online testers" isn't what drives card prices, its results in tournaments. In that sense, yes, Pro Tour Theros DID invent Mono-Blue and Mono-Black.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Korak posted:

What I'm saying is, the main decks are out there already. There's gonna be tweaking but for the most part we could make a fairly accurate top 40 theros-m15-khans cards that will/have spiked in the next few weeks.

I think you are overestimating the card evaluation skills of the Magic playing community at large.

The fact that "the deck" that's going to be dominant in Standard exists on the internet somewhere doesn't mean you can or should be able to accurately predict as such. There's a reason Master of Waves went over $25 on the second weekend in October vs. any time before that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jenx posted:

I'm a bit lost here - Why would glittering wish be banned/spike in price?

Turn 2/3 Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck. If that becomes a valid deck, something will get banned. They don't let combos exist that routinely kill before Turn 4.

Korak posted:

You said you're torn whether to buy now or later. I'm telling you to figure out what strategies you personally like playing and buy now. The mainboardable cards are definitely known outside of some tweaking of numbers.

There's no overestimating card evaluation when we've had a few tournaments and 2+ weeks of testing proving what works in a vacuum.

You say that now, but watch when Wingmate Roc is $20 in 2 weeks. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

Which is retarded. They need to just print better answers and force people to interact before turn 4!

That's called "power creep."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

Its not exactly power creep, the answers are there in the game, just not in the format. Like Daze, Stifle, Wasteland, Force of Will.

You're confused if you actually believe Modern players want Daze, Stifle, Wasteland and Force of Will in the format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

No I'm not missing the point. The point was to have a non-rotating format where they could reprint all cards legal in it. Nothing more. Saying that its intent was any more than that is silly. The original announcement for the format was simply this statement: "... many of you have called for a non-rotating format that doesn't have the card availability problems of Legacy. We propose Modern as that format." There was none of this 'they have to have separate identities' nonsense, there was just the goal to have a format where card availability concerns could be addressed.

And I do just go play Legacy. And Vintage. Multiple times a week.

No, you are missing the point. Your argument is nonsensical since none of the cards you just mentioned are on the Reserved List.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

What? I'm saying that modern would be better if they reprinted some cards that currently aren't on the reserve list for use in it. That was my original point.

You just said was that Modern was created to avoid card availability problems and nothing more. There's literally nothing preventing Wizards from reprinting Force of Will, Daze and Wasteland either in Standard or in a supplemental set like Conspiracy.

As for the point that it would be better if it had those cards in it, I imagine the vast majority of people playing Modern would likely disagree with you because free counters are bullshit.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 30, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

Exactly! You just summarized my point very well! Which is that there is no reason they can't print those cards except that they have some sort of stick up their asses about efficient LD and countermagic. And it would definitely be better off with them, because then they can remove the fun cards off the banned list and make a format where you get to do actually powerful things instead of just playing 3-color goodstuff decks and not get punished for not interacting with your opponent.

I mean, no, that wasn't your point, but I suppose there's nothing preventing you from saying that it was.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Wicked Wall posted:

I'm considering whether to get a Khans box (the 36 pack one) as a birthday present to myself in the hope of some fetchlands or Planeswalkers for trading/selling, or trying to assemble a Sultai Delver decklist like this one. Opinions?

Having played a bit more with Delve I really like the mechanic and this deck looks up my alley, but the problem is of course the cost of some of the main pieces like Courser, Caryatid, Thoughtseize, Hero's Downfall and of course Polluted Delta. Obviously that decklist is only a jumping off point but those seem to be the big spends that bring it together, and would probably be assembled from now until Christmas considering wages and whatnot. Is Standard volatile enough that by the time I get this deck, the set will be figured out and it'll be potentially crap?

On the other hand, getting a box would mean I could do a limited dealio with my friends for the cracking process, and hopefully have a blast while potentially opening some decent stuff to sell/trade and also fill out my sparse commons/uncommons.

Buying sealed product is a bad idea unless you just like the visceral thrill of gambling or you're going to use them for drafting/limited.

The idea that you just need some cards to fill out your collection is actually a terrible idea disguised as a good one. You'll just end up with a billion pieces of cardboard you don't need or want (since most commons are unplayable in anything other than limited). There's only so many uncommons that are actually good in any set, and those are typically obvious (e.g. Monastery Swiftspear, Murderous Cut) and you can just buy those the same way you buy rares.

Just buy singles for any card you need.

(FYI "Delver" is something different than "Delve." Yeah I know.)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 30, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm a modern player and I do want those cards in the format sooo

Well that piece of anecdotal evidence sure cleared everything up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine the Bugatti you'll be able to trade it for in 20 years when everyone in the civilized world plays magic!

I for one am prepared for when the world currency switches over to foil Polluted Deltas.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Polluted Delta has an actual use backing its value: It can get Volcanic Island or Bayou. :v:

Or the most powerful card in Magic: Island.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

I've certainly been wrong but I looked over the decklists. I just went and looked again, admittedly not all 64 lists for both opens but I can't find a deck it appeared in.

I simply can't fathom deciding to buy a bunch of cards based on what showed up at the SCG Open when the Pro Tour is in like a week.

Yes, they play a lot of matches at the SCG Open. No, it is not a big enough sample size to decide what the meta is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

I understand that people are having itchy trigger fingers but really? You can't fathom how people can buy cards after the first big tourney of the format?

Not expensive ones, no. Unless you see a Master of Waves out there, but that's a card that DIDN'T get played in those SCG tournaments, not the other way around.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Technically speaking the Pro Tour is an even smaller sample size than a single SCG Open. Granted, it does have that whole "The best players in the world forming teams with the sole purpose of breaking the format" thing going for it.

If there were 50 SCG Opens from which to derive data from, it would be different. One Pro Tour is worth a lot more than one SCG Open.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Wait, what card did you believe we are talking about because whatever the gently caress you are babbling about doesn't make sense.

Ashcloud Phoenix being in the sideboard of some deck at the SCG Open as a good reason to buy it.

You should not buy cards based on the meta unless you know what the meta is. If a card is clearly good on its own merits, that's a different reason to buy a card; e.g. Master of Waves.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

So can somebody tell me why Purphoros doesn't see more play? He seems potentially absurd in a shell with Rabblemaster, Hordeling Outburst, Bloodsoaked Champion and a number of other things. Are there easy answers to Gods that I'm not seeing besides Erase and Deicide? Because I really want to try a semi-budget token deck.

Decks that want to play those things don't typically look for 4 drops that require even more turns to do anything. Lets say that you are in a Mardu Tokens deck that wants a 4-drop. Why would you play Purphoros over Sorin? Sorin can win you the game with what you already have on board. Purphoros requires you to continue doing things.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

What are some examples of rares that were super-expensive for their time in standard, but aren't seeing much modern play? I'm wondering if it's worth getting rid of my Rabblemasters now since I'm unlikely to play them in standard, and pick them up for modern later?

I think Planeswalkers are like this a lot, e.g. Domri Rade, Jace, AOT, etc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I do have to admit would have been pretty oppressive to have printed Liliana of the Veil in M15 as planned with Delve in the format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I also think that MTGO has a bigger impact on shaping the metagame than people realize. The level of testing you can do with your buddies and a set of proxies isn't even close to what you can do on MTGO.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

I honestly kind of think that card is terrible, at least in the abzan midrange deck. You have to contort yourself like crazy to trigger it in a deck with mostly 4 and 5 drops, and it being a stone blank against stormbreath sure doesnt help matters.

I will give that it gets around elspeth, but elspeth is getting hated out by this format as it stands. If there is aggro-midrange deck thats base white then I like it, but its place is a curve topper, not a value play.

People said "it needs other cards around it to be good" about Master of Waves too. The raid trigger is good enough its worth sacrificing your Elvish Mystic or Courser. It just goes against your instincts to attack into Polukranos with a Courser or whatever.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 1, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Do we do trades and such for MTGO in the trade thread in SA Mart? I don't know that I've seen that. I haven't seen anywhere to add friends on MTGO, either. At least some of you guys still play it, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

LGD posted:

You can still make them sacrifice it, it can still be exiled, and it would still die from having a toughness of 0. I think this discussion occurred in the last thread- it's actually very difficult to make something genuinely immune to mass removal.

I don't think there's anything in the game that is immune to Perilous Vault. Stapling Sigarda, Progenitus and Indestructible would come close to invincible, but I don't think there's anything that actually makes something immune to exile. I guess if you had an ability that said "if a spell or effect would cause CARDNAME to leave the battlefield, counter that spell or ability." Even then, you could technically Stifle that trigger.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I have no clue what "tempo" even means in terms of a deck or a card. :shrug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Valicious posted:

Should I buy the various $105 shipped boxes of Khans on ebay. I'd be drafting it out with friends (hopefully more than just with my roommate), but am primarily looking to recoup value by selling/trading singles.

Absolutely not. It's gambling with about the same odds.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Modern banning is so weird though. They banned Zenith because of its interaction with an otherwise or mostly unplayed card, and then just left it there? Why not ban Arbor instead?

I also still don't understand why they bothered to unban bitterblossom.
Goodgamery is really good if you avoid certain parts of it, but it is descended from misetings and has a really old guard crowd so it might be kinda bleh for people from here.

Why should Bitterblossom be banned?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Man, I got a Sealed pool that is almost funny in how bad it is. Trail of Mystery :negative:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

Couldn't have been worse than my prerelease. Trail of Mystery, Altar of the Brood, Abzan Ascendency, 2 Sultai Ascendencies, and Dragon Throne.

Trail of Mystery, Grim Haruspex, Crater's Claws, Mardu Ascendancy, Icy Blast. The problem wasn't that these are inherently bad cards, its that all of the cards around them were even worse and I somehow had no fixing in any colors of note.

I guess its my own fault for forgetting that Sealed is a bullshit packwars format.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 3, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I still can't figure out what would possess someone to pass me Sorin, Solemn Visitor. I guess maybe his pack had Foil Sorin or Foil Sarkhan or something.

theironjef posted:

I thought the whole thing was that the 5 new guys are "previous legends that were not planeswalkers before but are being represented as such now."

Gerrard wasn't a walker, I think his type is just human warrior or something, but he is the end result of Urza's "build a better human" breeding experiments.

The new Commander sets have special "normal" legendaries in them too, like the Geralf card.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 3, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

As opposed to the other formats of Magic where you don't both need luck and skill...

Sealed is just pack wars where bomby cards just dominate. Whether that's a good way to define the format or not is immaterial since draft exist and is about 10 times more fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They already said they aren't all legacy characters.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Oh I don't doubt that Yawgmoth is NOT one of the cards. It just sucks so awesome a character has never received his own card.

Yawgmoth isn't a Planeswalker either. They just had special Phyrexian magic that allowed for it.

I mean I guess he could be a creature but the idea of summoning Yawgmoth for help seems weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Terrible Horse posted:

What are the differences between "Khans Friendly Prerelease" and "Khans Competitive Prerelease" online? They cost the same and MODO has nothing for prize structure for either. Is competitive elimination?

The payout in the Competitive one is a lot more weighted towards people with high finishes. The payout overall is the same, its just more spread out among participants in a Friendly.

• Locked thread