Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Well after 8 rounds I'm not surprised. Decks look sweet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, Narset was just a fun one-of anti-control finisher, that's it. The cornerstone creature of the deck is mantis rider really, that card is absurdly good in the current format.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I'm glad I've got my playset at like 25 cents.

I guess it shot up from people trying to build the Jeskai Tempo deck from the last Open.
Mantis rider has shot up significantly too. It went from dollar rare status to over 6 dollars.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, I'd dump any Sarkhans you can while he's this high. Once the set gets opened more he'll fall. The set is just too valuable to sustain this price.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I also think that MTGO has a bigger impact on shaping the metagame than people realize. The level of testing you can do with your buddies and a set of proxies isn't even close to what you can do on MTGO.
Yea, MTGO being up before the pro tour is a huge deal in terms of format exploration and playtesting ability.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Bought my first booster box since Modern Masters. Yes, I'm opening it....but to practice for Orlando! Running sealed against my girlfriend. Plus I won a buttload of store credit recently.

I didn't get to even do a prerelease so I figured it might be a good idea to actually play with some Khans cards before the event rather than just reading the set-list and theorizing about it. I've been looking at sealed pool generators online, but it's not quite the same as actually turning things sideways and seeing how it turns out.
Sealed pool generators don't replicate the semi-randomness of magic packs since they don't have print runs. Practicing the art of organizing and forming a deck from a pool in person is also worthwhile practice in of itself.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

My favorite is that Sturmgeist had to be renamed in German since Storm Spirit was previously translated as Sturmgeist. Thus the birth of Unwettergeist.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Entropic posted:

Didn't Immerwolf get previewed in German as Immerwolf and people were trying to figure out what the English name would be?
I'm imagining a world where "Always Wolf" was a printed Magic card. This is also proof that Wizards enjoy actively trolling their audience.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Delver decks are good examples of 'tempo' decks- They rely on sticking early threats and backing them up with removal and counters. It's less about killing your opponent before they can execute their plan, and more about delaying their plan while you kill them.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The modern Ascendancy deck is 100% going to get banned though. It's actually surprisingly resilient to hate due to the wishboard, and goes off surprisingly consistently. Basically, if you're taking the time to disrupt it you aren't killing them, which gives them time to tutor up their answers. They can even get fiery justice to kill multiple canonists.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It's free to The Rock

Plus against a combo deck, disrupting them enough is essentially the same as killing them.
It isn't vs this deck though. It doesn't need many cards to go off and can start right back up after getting disrupted just by cantripping for another ascendancy

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Planeswalker Ramirez DePietro or no buy.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's not like jeskai tempo is some unbeatable deck, it's just a good answer to all the green-durdle decks in the current meta. Turns out attacking with 3/3 hasted fliers is good versus ramping ground guys. Alternatively, griptiding whatever ramp target they just played and hitting them with a rabblemaster.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Wednesday is maintenance day, the servers are down for another hour.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea they aren't wrong- blue is a weak color and the jeskai deck is really only playing blue for mantis rider and jeskai charm. Trying to hold up counterspells vs genesis hydra doesn't really work well either- the only decent counterspell is disdainful stroke, but that's still not a great card in a lot of matchups. Even vs green it doesn't hit courser which is very hard to fight through in a card-advantage game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

tirinal posted:

It's kind of amusing how far and fast fetchlands have fallen in value on MODO. I think some of the temples held value better than this.
Not really- this is about where Zendikar fetches were as well. Temples were worth pretty small amounts when they were current except the JoU ones because no one drafted that format.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Guys Dezani was dead without the mantis rider- He had 10 life and Seth had a 3 power creature and a weaponmaster. He left himself dead to a very likely morph (His previous block that game even played around that morph being a weaponmaster) to keep a witness of the ages around.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

qbert posted:

I think the difference was he already killed another Weaponmaster Game 2, so he assumed it was unlikely his opponent would have a 2nd one in his deck.
But he already had played around that exact morph being a weapon master when he blocked morph #2 and leaping master- you have to at least respect the possibility. That play also leaves you dead to anything hasty.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a common that literally nobody else would pick up unless it gets hated out, though.
Yea weaponmasters go really late in my experience along with ponyback brigades. Jeskai tends not to be heavily drafted and no one really wants to splash for it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

In other plays that confused me- Goud just Master the Way'd Sorin instead of killing a 2/2 kheru bloodsucker (Reid was tapped out) and bashing with a 2/2 morph to kill Sorin. It just seems completely backwards. Especially now that we learn that goud has mindswipe in hand. I think Goud's chances to win the game go up a lot if he killed the bloodsucker there.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 10, 2014

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Welp nothing to see here.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 10, 2014

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The Embodiment doesn't have haste.
Oh poo poo you're right. I got it confused with the embodiment from earlier in the game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, Jace was, in fact, that high while he was in standard. I don't think any cards from khans can reach that point though, Jace's price was as driven by eternal demand that just doesn't exist for Sorin, etc.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

stinkles1112 posted:

Mine has him for 50, Sorin at 30, the temples at 6.99 each and a slew of other ridiculously over priced singles, mantis riders at 10, rabble masters at 22, etc. I don't know how they expect to compete with online prices.

I packed a Sorin the other day and asked how much cash I could get for it. He offered me seven dollars.
Holy poo poo, he's offering under 25%? That's terrible.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Entropic posted:

Why in god's name does MTGO live in %user%\AppData\Local instead of in Program Files like a respectable application? And is it normal for it to use over a gig of memory just firing up and going straight into a draft?
Yep, welcome to MTGO V4. It's a piece of poo poo.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Switch from 'High' to 'Source'

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's also a planeswalker commander for each deck.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They said the walkers would be 3 known, 1 known but not generally by name, and one new one from an old plane

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Well this is an even better gently caress-everyone card.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The red walker is going to be a new character, at least so long as the white walker is The Lithomancer which is pretty certain now.
They did a say the new walker would be from an old plane so a flamekin walker is quite possible.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

This is confirmed. What I want to know is why exactly anyone thinks the White Planeswalker Commander is Nahiri?

Was something posted somewhere that implied that and I just haven't seen it yet or is it just rampant speculation?
1: One of the planeswalkers is "a character you know but maybe not by name", and the 3 slots for known characters are all taken. This leaves the previous option and a new character for white and red
2: The white deck is called "Forged in Stone"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

jassi007 posted:

You guys are a bunch of haters. That red walker is going to make for a fun mono-red artifacts deck. Now I just need a darn goblin welder. It would be pretty nice if he was in the red deck.
Yea, why is legacy playability the criteria for a good card in Commander 2014? This card is quite powerful with its whole repeatable reanimation/looting self-synergy. As to why it has discard-as-a-cost looting, that's what red looting generally is these days. Regular looting is a blue thing.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Grafdigger's Cage says "creature cards" but I suppose it matters if you're doing this to fetch back your artifact creatures.
Read the card again- it exiles the cards before putting them into play, grafdigger's cage doesn't affect it at all.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

The Lithomancer looks pretty sweet. I'll definitely play it in my Tajic deck if nothing else. It'll give me something to do after I blow up everything else.
She really does- being able to recur equipment other people have exploded is a big upside.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sword of feast/famine wasn't until besieged, and that was the big incentive for the SFM/Squadron Hawk package.
EFB; Yea, then Batterskull busted everything wide open.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Vexing Sphinx gets really silly very quickly too.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=122071

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

New Card:

Sorcery 3UU
Return six target nonland permanents to their owner's hands.

Blue Hex is pretty amusing but not really exciting.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, it was pretty clear from the sheer volume of videos showing his shady shuffling- one wouldn't have been enough but it became obvious that he was doing this constantly, even on-camera. Do the organizers of the tournaments he won have any recourse to retrieve the money he won fraudulently?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Have another new card:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Joe Lossett aka Oarsman79 was also playing a sweet-looking high tide deck, cutting candelabras for reset and the sorcery draw-sevens for dig through time. The deck operates entirely at instant speed and is a ton of fun based on watching him play it. It's even relatively cheap for a legacy deck, coming in at ~700$, with most of the expensive cards being staples like 8 fetchlands, forces, and 2 flusterstorms. Who knows if it's actually that good but having a solid legacy deck

• Locked thread