Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cernunnos posted:

12. 4 Buttpost, 4 Glimmerpost, 4 Vesuva.

I don't know where he's getting 16 from.

Cloud to Butt is the best addon ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

i'm also certain this is boros reckoner part 2, and they will never drop in price just to spite me.

hell I was super salty that I dropped 20 dollars to buy two last sunday from a shop that charges low on singles. I recognized i was getting a great deal and just hate spending cash of singles.

but that was before they jumped in price this much...

Yeah, I got 4 at... I wanna say $8.50 each? Might have been $7.50. I kicked myself for not buying in at $5 but hey, at least I'm happy now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I love french cards because they're clumsily translated (as I suspect all the non-English cards are, but I actually speak french so these ones are funny to me) and for some reason ridiculously verbose. "Teysa, plénipotentiaire de fantômes" springs to mind.

I tried a low-cmc-leaning list with Bloodsoaked Champion, Rabblemaster, Mardu Ascendency and Butcher at the top of the curve, but the mana is really painful and the draws can be really inconsistent. I think mono-black just works better as far as aggro decks featuring Bloodsoaked champion go.

:colbert:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The Rock and His Millions remains king of deck names

Hulk Gets Crabs :colbert:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The fact that Khans has Legacy playable spells (multiple) and one legacy playable creature and a modern build-around powerful enough to warrant a ban is still not enough to keep the usual suspects from slagging it off as the worst set evar on Salvation :allears:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

It does.

The trigger for prowess goes before Ferocious spell checks that you have 4 power dude.

As soon as the full visual spoiler went up I went in there saying "Alright, where's the aggressively-costed 3-power Prowess dude in Blue or Red." And lo, there he was.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

My guesses:

White- Lord Windgrace
Blue- Teferi (duh)
Black- Tevesh Szat or Leshrac
Red- Jaya Ballard
Green- Freyalise

Sadly with Teferi in Bo Levar is definitely out. Commodore Guff is definitely blue/red and so sadly can't be a card. Also he breaks the fourth wall so much he'd probably have "+1: Name a character in the Magic canon. Destroy all permanents whose art depicts that character."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Hey, in Nemesis there was a sex scene between a four-armed Ertai and a Phyrexian, so, you know, poo poo happens I guess.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Does Sarkhan stop being a planeswalker while he's a dragon? Will using Ajani Steadfast's -2 give a +1'd Sarkhan both a loyalty counter and a +1/+1 counter?

1) Yes
2) No

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like the window for leveraging green creatures that just have good rates is so small when it doesn't take much time at all to get to the next plateau where you're doing broken crap with tons of mana. I'm still not really sure how Siege Rhino isn't suffering the same fate.

Siege Rhino's lifegain is incredibly relevant since the format has so many fast, threat-dense aggro decks. In an environment where people are Lightning Striking your face, Rhino is often a 3-for-1 or better.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Niton posted:

Yes? The pro tour is A Big Deal as far as deckbuilding goes, and a lot of pros have jobs where building a deck in secret is not only possible, but valuable.

Yeah. Do you read Channel Fireball? What about Star City? You see all of the deck tech articles pros have done recently? They're all decks that they were testing for the Pro Tour and decided weren't quite good enough. Pros don't write about the deck they're going to play at the Pro Tour. Star City and CF are full of Tier 1.5 decks right now.

I do expect Jeskai-based aggro and Abzan-based midrange to be big players in the Standard-- they're pretty obvious decks-- but the lists the pros will be running aren't published anywhere right now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: epic play for all the value!

Misdirection gets there. In LSV's recent CF video about Grixis control in Vintage, his opponent Yawg Willed. In response he cast FoF to dig for a counter. His opponent Forced his FoF, and he Misdirected the Force onto Will. It was the most insane value play I've ever seen.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I don't get a lot of this aggro hate. I'm full Mardu aggro and it rolls right over Abzan midrange. Two cards put me over the top in that matchup: Ride Down and Chief of the Edge.

Chief means that my Skullhunters, Champions, and Heroes walk through Caryatids, and my Aspirants and Rabblemasters trade with Coursers. Four Ulcerate mainboard also neatly shred blocking Coursers, and they won't play around it because they know my goblin tokens have to attack anyways and don't expect a trick. When they stabilize and drop a Polukranos or Siege Rhino, Crackling Doom eats it and maintains my momentum.

Ride Down is an absolutely absurd card. It's very tough to play around. I sideboard four and they come in in every creature-heavy matchup. Like Doom, it's an insane tempo play that takes out their 4-5 drops and ticks down their life total.

There are cards that crush me-- Hornet Queen, Drown in Sorrows (but I sideboard Mardu Ascendancy for the matchups where it's likely to make an appearance). I take a lot of damage from my manabase so I don't like Jeskai burn. But the deck semi-reliably goldfishes turn 4 kills, rips midrange apart, and mainboard two Sorins to race. It is the real deal.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't access magic.wizards.com to even tell you either way. All I know is the Gatherer still says it's Modern-legal. :shrug:

Banlists are only updated when they release a new set.

Also if they ban Wish but not Ascendancy I will be furious and surprised, since you'd have thought they'd have learned their lesson with combo decks powered by three-mana enchantments.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

frameset posted:

There was one exception a long time ago to the B+R announcement scheduling, when Memory Jar was emergency banned.

True, but I think if ever a card deserved an emergency ban, that was it. What an absolutely absurd card. What were they thinking?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

urzasblock.txt

Seriously though, the reason Jar needed an emergency ban isn't because it was so much more powerful than, say, Tolarian Academy, but it was because people were leaving the game after Urza's Saga and they wanted to nip that in the bud. Maro has said multiple times that the CEO of wotc called R&D into his office to yell at them during Urza's and that's the only time it's happened.

True, but having played at the time, Memory Jar was orders of magnitude worse than anything else in the block. Tolarian Academy and Yawgmoth's Will are more powerful cards in Vintage, but within Type II at the time Memory Jar was far and away the worst thing they printed. The card enabled a deck with a 75+% Turn 1 win rate. Nothing else in the format was close to that degenerate.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I can't wait until he absolutely blows out someone else in blue with that Icy Blast. Shouldn't have passed that thing, man!

edit: and then he immediately plays into the obvious Weaponmaster :/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

If your opponent plays their 5th mana precombat and has Jeskai, Temur or Abzan colors available you always, always assume Weaponmaster, Snowhorn or Guide. Ponyback Brigade generally doesn't flip midcombat and Abomination is less of a blowout, but those three are consistent traps that are always played in on-color decks and are common, so you have to assume that your opponent has it even if you haven't seen it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

So what do people think were the breakout cards today? Obviously seeking Jeskai Ascendancy combo in Standard is awesome and I'm getting the rest of my playset (but I think the Caryatids are the real price there; jesus, they're $17 each now, makes me feel dumb for trading away my regular and foil ones). Anything else spiking?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Traded away two Digs last week for $3 each :shepspends:. At least I got my JAs last night for $4 each.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

So I guess this pretty much confirms that we may never seen Alex on camera ever again? Seems weird that coverage has totally blacked out on him.

Honestly? Wizards likes having a "heel" around. Maro has come right out and said that he thinks Mike Long was great for the game even though he was a blatant, unsportsmanlike cheater because he gave people a villain. I don't think they're "encouraging" Bertoncini to cheat but I don't think they see it as big a problem as we do.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't think it does, honestly, except maybe insofar as them playing up Mike Long in the past informs how sheepish they are about giving Bertoncini coverage now.

Yeah, I'm not willing to ascribe a lack of Bertoncini on camera to unwillingness on Wizards' part to "reward the cheater." If they were confident enough that he would cheat that they made it a matter of policy not to show him then they simply would ban him from the tournament.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

:siren: REVEL OF THE FALLEN GOD ON CAMERA :siren:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Really hoping there's no Jeskai player in the finals so the deck doesn't spike as much and I have a chance to pick it up.

I just need to stop trading forever, because I am on a streak of trading away format staples that spike up in price shortly after being traded. Elspeth, Dig Through Time, Caryatid, Mantis Rider etc.

EDIT: Does anyone remember that site that shows card prices in a set visually by resizing the cards?

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I like Strasky's build-- I'd like to see a Czech deck tech about it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Sorin's price is gonna overtake Sarkhan's, isn't it?

As well it should, because he is a superior card by far. Sarkhan is super, super overhyped.

Also, my testing has showed that a three-color Mardu aggro deck with aggressive black one-drops, Skullhunters, Aspirants and Rabblemasters matches up really, really well against Abzan. It folds to more aggressive burn-heavy aggro like Jeskai or Mono-red, but Chief of the Edge will ruin any Abzan player's day. It lets Skullhunters, Bloodsoaked Champions, and Tormented Heros kill Caryatids and Aspirants and Rabblemasters kill Coursers.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

meanolmrbutt posted:

Semi related PT talk, this set is crazy for value. Online at least. I've been playing for free all weekend, just opening Fetches, Digs and the occasional Planeswalker. It's a pretty amazing feeling knowing you've got your money back before the rounds even start, even better winning some packs from it and doing it all over again.

ugh gently caress youuuuuuu

2 Prereleases: 10 packs
9 Prize packs from 1 prerelease: 19 packs
4 drafts: 31 packs
5 prize packs from draft: 36 packs
24 packs for judging a Prerelease: 60 packs.

Total pulls: 4 fetches, 0 planeswalkers. Plenty of Ugin's Nexus, See the Unwritten, and Surrak Dragonclaw!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The only way to avoid accusations of netdecking is to brew alone in a cabin in the woods like the Unabomber, only making yourself known to the world when you send scrawling, typewritten manifestos on the power of obscure cards to Channel Fireball.

Like Travis Woo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah maybe I'm weird.

Honestly though I will pay someone $10 an hour to come help me clean up my collection and get my 11 (:sigh:) 85% complete modern decks together. +30% if you'll accept cards/boosters. Totally serious if you live in seattle hit me up. Just don't steal anything haha.

I love organizing cards and I would do it if you lived in Mass :(.

Anyways, I have been watching LSV streaming Vintage Stax, and 1) it looks incredibly fun and 2) I keep wanting to get MTGO because I have decided Khans standard is the season I start playing big-boy magic at GPs and stuff, so I need more practice, but it looks so horrible and broken I just can't make myself do it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

See Elspeth, Sun's Champion trend after last year's Fall PT for example
http://www.mtgprice.com/sets/Theros/Elspeth,_Sun%27s_Champion

Sell now or next year.

This is bizarre to me because Sarkhan is still like $10 more than Sorin despite being a much worse planeswalker and showing up in lower numbers in a not-as-good deck.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Sarkhan is not "much worse" than Sorin. That's a silly statement.

Less good, rather. Less good and, even in the deck where he shows up, less used.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I am judging my first GP in November (New Jersey!) and am super excited. They're going to put me on side events as I am a garbage tier L1, but it's experience. Plus I've almost finished the left sleeve of my judge shirt. I was hoping to embroider my collar with Brian Kibler sideburn hair.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Brownhat posted:

I'm judging all three days, and I'm coming from Cleveland. Riding with some other judges.

They posted the schedule already? I'm judging but I don't know what days. My uncle lives one town away so I got to stay with him for free.

It's my first GP as well. I'm L1 so I'll only be on side events.

Other news: drafted the most insane Jeskai deck tonight, Mantis Rider, Waterwhirl, two Windscouts, Trumpet Blast, Seeker, two Wardens, Ride Down, Charm. Went 3-0 without dropping a game. I also opened a Foothills in my pool, which was cool. Trades tonight:
Foothills plus two bulk rare foils -> Strand
Brimaz -> 2x Dig Through Time + 2x End Hostilities
$37 cash -> Sarkhan, 2x Anger of the Gods, Dig Through Time, Temple of Triumph.

Not bad for a night's work.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Brownhat posted:

In your acceptance email, it says which days you are working. Not the judgeapps one, but the one from Steven Zwanger.

Ah ha! I'm Friday and Saturday. Probably will play some Sunday (if that's kosher, like I said first GP).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

What does a l1 make working at an event like this for two days?

Brainstorm playmat, deckbox and sleeves, Star City water bottle, a month of Star City premium, two boxes of Khans, packet of judge foils, $190 cash.

God I hope Elesh Norn's in the packet. A guy can dream.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Brownhat posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping for some Elesh Norn lovin' as well.

Last one I got had Entomb, Karador, Riku, Nekusar, SoFaF and Hanna. I want to move that Hanna but it's so gorgeous I can't bear to trade it away if I don't have one to replace it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

"Come closer, darling. Let me compleat every ounce of your body~"

:stonk:

~uguu

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ivQDZx1BM

The dude with the Alpha Lotus had it graded at 9.5. I don't think there is an actual 10 to be given out, so dude's making cash. But let's not forget he could have made a lot MORE cash by not opening Alpha-Unlimited sealed product and just selling it as is.

99% of the time that's true but in this case that Lotus is worth at least three times as much as the sealed deck would have gone for. I'm seeing between $5-6k for the sealed starter deck, a 9.5 Alpha Lotus is not going to be less than $20k if he did sell it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

This is why I occasionally make people play out their combos.

So is there an actual difference between Purse and Cornucopia in terms of how they allow Ascendancy combo to go off? They're both 0-cost artifacts that you can pump mana into if you want some utility before you combo off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

These interviews are agonizing. "I'm an actor by trade. This is a city full of a lot of dreamers."

• Locked thread