Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Froghammer posted:

As one of the commentators pointed out, we're one week into Khans being legal. That could mean that the format has yet to adjust to it (more people playing Tormod's Crypt over Grafdigger's Cage could hate it out of the format). It could also mean that the deck that capitalizes on it the most has yet to show up.n

Nobody's playing Tormod's Crypt to hate out Treasure Cruise man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

If it really takes off AND they don't ban it/ban out the decks that use it, I'm sure it'll be reprinted at some point.

Of course, given the degree of nimbleness they possess w/r/t reprint schedules, it'll be something like Modern Masters 7. :v:

It's a turn 2-3 combo, it will get banned within 6 months if the deck's any good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You're confused if you actually believe Modern players want Daze, Stifle, Wasteland and Force of Will in the format.

I'm a modern player and I do want those cards in the format sooo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Seriously if you already play Legacy I don't see why you care that Modern isn't Legacy.

Just go play Legacy and ignore Modern if you don't like it. There's nothing forcing you to play the format.

Legacy is a format destined to be perpetually gimped due to decisions made 20 years ago. There's a finite limit to how much that format can grow, and the prices on certain cards are absolutely pants-on-head retarded as a result of those decisions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Well that piece of anecdotal evidence sure cleared everything up.

Do you really think, if the card availability problem was non-existent and people could buy legacy poo poo at the price of modern poo poo legacy and modern would be at their respective levels of popularity?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I too wish to have my Wurmcoils played on tron mana and backed by countermagic to get completely stuffed by FoW, Daze.

That sounds very fun and would totally not destroy Tron as a deck.

Or the presence of wasteland would let you run the much better 16 post because that being banned with a ready answer would be dumb?

E: or, y'know, sideboard the artifact that makes counterspells cost an extra 2 like Tron already does or just not give a poo poo and drop another threat because FoW is kind of rear end against fair decks and always has been

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 30, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Ah yes the age old question of why play that lovely deck when you can play this much better deck.

There's not much difference man, tron would swap out for 16post in a heartbeat.

E: they are cards that do the same thing, just one option is significantly better and probably should be legal

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Print another Locus and let's get this bitch up to 20 post. Edit: Legitimately confused about the number of posts available.

Vesuva, Thespians, Cloud, and Glimmer should make 16 total.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

They should really reprint Slide and Lightning Rift in Modern. At LEAST give us the cycling lands so we can Loam 'em back.

I would love for this but I don't think it's hugely likely at present because of how powerful the interaction between cycle lands and loam is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Konstantin posted:

Force of Will would make half the decks in modern unplayable, off the top of my head Tron, Scapeshift, Living End, UR Twin, and any deck that needs one critical spell to resolve will be gone overnight. The interesting thing is that it would be fine in Standard, since the card disadvantage matters more and almost all Standard decks can recover from having a spell countered.

Yes, the deck you mentioned that is alive under a different name in Legacy and the three decks that would love to jam Force into their 75 will be killed off by Force.

Combo is dead and buried in legacy, no resolving ad nauseums there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Does GR Tron run creatures of the same type? I don't see how blue tron would benefit from Cavern of Souls over making one of five creature types uncounterable.

Because all it takes is resolving one Sundering Titan to utterly wreck your opponent.

And aren't you talking about Mono-Blue Tron? Wouldn't that deck love a counterspell that was live as early as turn 0?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Korak posted:

Ashcloud is a solid card and lots of pros were pimping it. I personally think it works as a control finisher since you can wipe the board and get value out of it as a 2/2 until you can instant speed flip it if your opponent tries to kill it.

Sarkhan is way more likely to wind up the control finisher of choice die to not getting hit at all by Anger.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I'm running 3 Rabblemasters in my Modern Goblins list until they reprint Goblin Piledriver (shut up and let me dream OK)

Also, when did Stoke the Flames become a $4 card? And should I pick up a playset if I want to play red this Standard season?

Piledriver would actually be an awesome card to see reprinted, it's actually not that strong now compared to how it used to be

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

The ecosystem in this case is "nothing consistent before t4" which this deck breaks.

Caveat: I have yet to play with/against it.

It's a lovely ecosystem to begin with so I'm not seeing a problem here.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

neetengie posted:

This clearly means Wizards need to reprint Stifle.

This is actually true

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Asphyxious posted:

Villainous Wealth seems really, really good, am I missing something here? Like is it you only have a mana pool of X to cast spells from or could you literally cast every card if X is high enough? And creatures cast this way are under your control?

It's a powerful card that also costs infinity to be worthwhile.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, I have 5 Jeskai Ascendancy now, here's hoping that deck does alright.

I also decided since I did well on an exam tonight I'd buy a couple of Khans packs.

This foil delta is going in a box for years

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm dumb thought there were two

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

holy poo poo do you not know who that is

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
One could say attacking players is aggressive behaviour

Eject everyone but the control players

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

By Maro's logic we need to let butt-crack guy into the Hall of Fame.

mike long was actually good at magic though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Standard is going to be boring as long as the cards are boring.

Siege Rhino is a bad, boring card that is a step above Pierce and Peace Strider and if it dominates this format then it will say volumes about the quality of the cards in it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Nah man it's gonna go full circle where we go back to playing tribal cards to pump our goyfs because of the looming threat of graveyard hate.

Didn't Bitterblossom see some play in modern partly due to that?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's the game telling you not to play bad decks :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

What Standard deck costs 500-800 dollars?

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1218101 this, for starters

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Kheru lichlord is logically the last card in that cycle, and as far as powerful goes, it's up there? Unearth 2B giving the thing flying and trample, even on a random card, is pretty good. It's not "efficient" on its surface, but I'd say it's also more or less the strongest of the 5 cards. It runs counter to delve, but it is also a better effect than most delve spells anyway.

Lichlord costs 6, gives nothing unless you untap, requires 3 mana on top of it and doesn't let you choose.

Changing any one of those would probably make it playable but right now it's bad bad bad, by far the worst of those.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

How big are the figures? I'm always looking for inexpensive D&D minis and the boosters for Dreamblade seem like a pretty hot dollar for figure ratio. Basically prefer stuff that will fit in a Chessex map square.

I'm sure Archangel's Light was backbreaking at Rare.

Archangels light was originally an entirely different mythic rare.

It got last minute nerfed. What you see now is the reverse Umezawa's Jitte.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

INN and RTR both had a ton of great commons and uncommons. Current standard definitely feels off.

Innistrad in general was a much higher power level than anything we've gotten for 3 blocks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This looks like it folds brilliantly to End Hostilities

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So this is the mindset of a Breakfast Burrito player

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Lol look at this rear end in a top hat on the GPLA stream with a SARS mask.

- Future Ebola victim mcmagic, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man it is pretty annoying to only play in one standard tournament a year. gently caress spending 90 dollars on 2 Sarkhan when they'll be 12 dollars in a year.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mikujin posted:

I assume that's for the Fusion 5K?

Yeah, I'm getting 2 decks ready this year so it's actually a pain, haha

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Does it really matter whether it says "$10.21" or "1021 pucapoints"?

That implies you'd get 10.21 for the card if you sold it otherwise.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Deofuta posted:

There's also Harmonize, but we don't talk about Harmonize. Or planar chaos for that matter.

I want to talk about Harmonize

it owned, reprint harmonize wizards

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Deofuta posted:

Can we somehow cheat an Emrakul on top of a Bob user's deck? This is an important task and one that should occupy our thread's brightest minds.

There are vintage games where a Bob player will flip Blightsteel and give 0 fucks whatsoever.

And then win.

E: so this is the power of breakfast burrito

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would argue that Bob is no longer as good as it used to be in a lot of the formats it frequents; it's really only in one or two decks in Legacy, and one in Modern.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

xeose4 posted:

It's also quite the gamble, since if you can't draw the cards you need in the allotted time (which you are reducing by harming yourself with your card drawing mechanic), you are most certainly just hastening your demise.

When your deck is constructed so your highest CMC card is around 4-5 and you have the ability to mix up what's on top of your library with certain 1 CMC cards, it stops being a gamble and becomes you losing an average of 1.5-2 life a turn.

And if that bothers you, then swing at them for 2 with Bob.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

xeose4 posted:

Desperate last-ditch card for when you run out of actual counterspells? Unless you can pay an island as "a blue card" in which case I don't understand why it's so expensive when the regular counterspell is UU and this doesn't do anything fancier. I would expect to see the life-paying and discarding mechanic on a counterspell that is cheaper than the standard counterspell, not more expensive.

A big thing to consider is that in general, mana efficiency > card advantage > life.

There are few things in Magic more mana efficient than a free counterspell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

It's expensive because the alternate cost is so good and that's the mode they want players to use. They don't want it to have the alternate cost AND be Counterspell. It's already the best counter, but that would even more crazy.

Actually Mana Drain fights it pretty loving hard for that position.

Dunno if there's a clear winner but one is banned in Legacy.

• Locked thread