Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I am so satisfied with Jeskai's work today. I'm really happy I finished off the list before the results hit, I feel like narset/charm/mantis rider may be seeing a sharp increase afterwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Narset flipped what I believe were two Jeskai Charms and a Dig Through Time. I missed the fourth, but drat are those three obscene.

E:FB

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Sarhkan and Sorin travel through time and discover Urza, whose first act as pre mending planeswalker is to destroy the reserved list.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Cernunnos posted:

You can still put silly deck names down but for coverage reasons they won't display that and instead display [color(s)] [strategy]. Those Jeskai "Tempo" decks probably had different names but were put up as Tempo because that's what they looked like to someone somehow.

I would have probably called them Burn decks myself. They're not quite aggressive enough to call Aggro and aren't quite controlling enough to call a real Tempo deck. Tempo from my understanding is all about "get my important creature out and protect it while stalling/slowing down my opponents game with counters and removal" like Delver decks.

I also think they are more on the side of burn than any other particular archetype. It runs the most efficient burn, and backs it up with creatures that try to push efficient value. Id love it if someone tries pushing swiftspears and seeing how it goes, I decided against bringing this to Worcester after I saw painlands being the same price as shocks.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Couldn't they have gotten sonething other than McDonald's though? This may sound like looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I would agree that serving that sort of thing is questionable. A nice gesture to be sure though.

More mtg related; I've been play testing the 16 land super sligh deck posted in the brew thread and I love love love it. It's so low to the ground and so bleeding fast that In getting right under abzan midrange and jeskai alike. Titan strength and coordinated assault have put the fear of God into courser players when I declare attackers. The decision making is also a lot of fun, altogether very enjoyable to play so far, highly recommend it.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 8, 2014

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
And the winning name for jeskai is Jeskai Wins. An omen of what's to come?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

DarkRider09 posted:

Did they give a deck list for this?

They did a deck tech for it, calling it Whipisi I believe. May take some digging to find in the twitch backlogs.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Shake the hand, bolt off the stage, top decking makes wonderful television.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Let's just casually use that third option on Jeskai Charm, and go to 43 life. Jeskai vs Abzan finals!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

mr. mephistopheles posted:

*Dirt cheap if you already have the stupid expensive modern manabase.

Getting cheaper every day with fetches reprint, and you can work around alliance fetchlands if you need to. This is especially true with shock lands at the cheapest they will ever be. They trade one on one for some standard pain lands, which is insane.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I may or may not be brewing a tribal zoo deck with 2 cruise in it. So much value.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
There's also Harmonize, but we don't talk about Harmonize. Or planar chaos for that matter.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Can we somehow cheat an Emrakul on top of a Bob user's deck? This is an important task and one that should occupy our thread's brightest minds.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Titania being an Elemental makes it of consideration for my Horde deck! Why not try recurring her at instant speed!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It's a card that doesn't die to doom blade, and thus a serious contender. Rip multi colored decks, we will hardly miss ye.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The white planeswalker will be Lin Sivvi, because her time in standard was a good and vibrant time and everyone should be reminded of that with a tribal rebels edh deck.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
drat! I was with the commentators on that one, I really wish the minotaurs player had gone a bit further in that game.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It has a lot of components that I was looking at for an abzan reanimator deck. I don't think I could give up on my Ashen Riders though, and of course the courser/caryatid package would be a pain to obtain.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Ramos posted:

Didn't we already know that?

It was the leading theory for sure.

If anyone is interested in Ascendancy combo, they should be tuning into scg right about now. The announcers are floored after a turn four victory, and its now 7-0.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
On Turn four or five, with lethal on board next turn and no creatures on field, the jeskai heroic combo player goes off infinite with a top decked springleaf drum. This deck is sweet. A very fun deck to watch, probably the worst thing to lose to in this kind of format.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 2, 2014

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Dragonstorm in standard, the scale be damned!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Chasm Skulker has hit the playmat of the scgfinals and I can't wait to see how Ivan is going to break it.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I used to play skred red quite a bit, and I was using stormbreath more and more over Thunder maw because protection from white is just nuts in the format. Not only does it shut down path, but it also laughs at angel pod, which at the time I was playing was the most popular local version. One day I'll have to put it back together and try other alternatives like demigod of revenge and inferno titan.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Is the stream starting to tank in round 15 for anyone else? Doesn't seem to want to run smoothly anymore for me.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It may be awkward because it occupies the same cmc as courser as well as a bit of reach when it comes to mana at 3 separate colors while courser costs 2g.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I'll happily accept 2 bolts in a trade for a stormbreath. The monstrosity ability has also been a thing in longer matches.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Count Bleck posted:

I mean you could just cut out the middleman and just play Mono Red Control. :getin:

Do you happen to have a standard decklist for such a thing? I play mono red control in modern and I would love to try a standard version of it.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

qbert posted:

That's funny, they interviewed Utter-Leyton earlier, and he said a "good" storm deck in VMA is basically unbeatable.

I believe he was asked if he could draft a perfect deck, it would be storm. He then went on to say it's very diffucult to actually draft it and win. Something like that at least.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Miracles got caught out, both decks involve a lot of interaction but sometimes poo poo doesn't work out. Blue green infect is awesome because it's not just jamming the turn 2 kill, it features a huge package of blue spells designed to deal with the possible counter thrusts of the opponent and to give it enough resiliency for the long haul. In short, it's a fun legacy deck and in the long and thick of it I think it can be considered tier 1.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
That demon reveal has me thinking I want a mono black deck revolving around him, master of the feast, and Herald of torment. Maybe an aggro shell? Although 5 cmc may be too high of a curve for that.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Fingers McLongDong posted:

A new monoblack devotion or midrange, depending on whether you decide to try running gray merchant as well? I'll certainly be looking for new black cards in this set to make something similar happen. Monoblack aggro is a fun deck, although it's definitely tier 2 at this point.

Do you suppose bitter revelations is enough of a card draw engine? Is it all there is in mono black nowadays?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
With that phoenix I'm thinking it's time to grab the red devotion list out of the old bin and start seeing what can be done with it. Need more red symbols!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

qbert posted:

Still unplayable without Burning-Tree, Ash Zealot, and Frostburn.

I can't hear you over the sound of my massive nykthos fueled craters claws :colbert:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Perhaps in the current time line it's a vial of dragonfire, but as time passes and we hit dragons of tarkir, it ages and turns into aether... :tinfoil:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Ebethron posted:

It struck me as being similar to Hellspark Elemental, but maybe my evaluation is off.

Sounds reasonable. Where it lacks trample it makes up for it in greater possible recursion and a threat which doesn't hurt your card advantage. I like it, although hell spark elemental has lost its place to better red cards in modern at the moment.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

mcmagic posted:

The chances of any cards beings undervalued in prerelease prices are pretty much nil...

Funny that, he mentions a prime example of noted dollar bin rare card goblin rabblemaster, which grew astronomically at least a week or two after release.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I always appreciate it when amulet increases in popularity, it's one of the few decks that is played in my area that straight up folds to main deck blood moons.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I chose jeskai and opened two of the trample haste red common dragon, the legendary blue white dragon, and 4 of the mill dragons. I splashed green for the enchantment that grants all flying units the fight etb and had a blast. Highlight of the night was casting the red dragon, fighting the opponents biggest dude, and then flashing in jeskai barricade to bounce it back to hand after combat.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
A pack a win has always been how my lgs handles prerelease and release nights as far as I know, and it makes sense as these events are supposed to be the most welcoming and casual events. Wizards probably wants more of the newer folks leaving with a pack or two rather than the spikes taking the Lions share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
For those demanding answers, they actually have a nice paragraph or two explaining their justifications on the site.

quote:

Modern

Decks playing the powerful card drawers have been winning a lot, and pushing a lot of other decks down in competitive play. Blue-Red Delver decks, playing efficient creatures, card drawers, burn, and some permission spells have been the most successful. Also, decks focused on more burn, or combination decks using Jeskai Ascendancy, have done well. However, as these decks have occupied a large portion of the competitive metagame, the overall variety of successful decks has been suppressed. It is imbalanced enough that Wizards of the Coast has decided to act. In Modern, these cards are easy replacements for one another—while a Delver deck might use Treasure Cruise overDig Through Time, banning one but not the other would do little to change the deck. Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise are banned.

Over the past year, Birthing Pod decks have won significantly more Grand Prix than any other Modern decks and compose the largest percentage of the field. Each year, new powerful options are printed, most recently Siege Rhino. Over time, this creates a growing gap between the strength of the Pod deck and other creature decks. Pod won five of the twelve Grand Prix over the past year, including winning the last two. The high percentage of the field playing Pod suppresses decks, especially other creature decks, that have an unfavorable matchup. In the interest of supporting a diverse format,Birthing Pod is banned.

• Locked thread