Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Wescoe has the simultaneously traumatized and dead eyes of a murderer, in my opinion.

Serperoth posted:

So speaking of Chapin, when's he coming back to SCG stream commentary?

He's just intoxicating when he does that, it's always killing me.

He's great late sunday night, when he's exhausted and bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Holiday said the Jeskai deck feels really close to Eggs, which seemed true. It was fun to watch go off for a few games but it looks miserable to play and to play against, so hope it is banned.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
What are the differences between "Khans Friendly Prerelease" and "Khans Competitive Prerelease" online? They cost the same and MODO has nothing for prize structure for either. Is competitive elimination?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Is it dumb to do anything but Abzan for the prerelease? Siege Rhino is 8tix online right now, seems good to get almost 50% of your buy in back.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Personally I think it's dumb not to try and have the most fun rather than thinking about whether or not you can score a sick nasty 8 dollars. I guess it's cool if you like the colors.

They are my favorite wedge but I already did one last night. I guess I was asking if its gonna crater after the weekend. I might try Sultai tonight.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

I Love You! posted:

I think it's sultai tbh though they share a bunch of the same cards and can splash for certain bombs of each others'

I thought Sultai should be pretty good because access to black seems a prerequisite for the removal, but most rundowns I've seen put Sultai at the bottom. Oh well I'm going Abzan again tonight anyway

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

tirinal posted:

I just got to villainous wealth for 11 and still lost in three turns. This game is strange sometimes.

I love Villainous Wealth but I think it follows the same principle as the "give your opponents choices" cards; don't rely on your opponents deck

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Bug, or is MODO just getting much more encouraging?

This popped up about 30 mins after the match was over, too.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

frameset posted:

I really enjoy their streams because of this.

He's sometimes a big baby about it and snaps at her though.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Didn't they kill pauper dailies/any way to make pauper profitable? Or did they keep the dailies but nerf the prizes or something?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I agree with you that I wouldn't road trip with strangers to play in a tournament, but the actual game is more fun than the social factor. It's fun to play with friends, but I like MTGO because it's a convenient way to play without having to corral 8+ people or go to a game store.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Bob/Force/other old or really "pro" cards are just unintuitive until you play with them, in my opinion. xeose, play some cube, or some legacy on Cockatrice or whatever, or even just watch cube/legacy videos on ChannelFireball or SCG, and it quickly becomes apparent how good they are.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Mortimer posted:

holy poo poo we just got past that dumb discussion please don't do it again for another 10 pages

add "new player doesn't understand card value" to the bingo sheet
then add "add to the bingo sheet" to the bingo sheet

I'm sorry. This post is much better, I agree.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Sickening posted:

I believe that was directed the the folks who were doxxing him. It appears his linkedin was easily found and folks in the Reddit thread were bringing up the fact he is an MP in the airforce and discussing if there were any ramifications for his job. Basically hinting that someone should contact the air force "for justice". I would imagine that if get caught doing that poo poo on twitter or anywhere else you could go down with him.

Doxxing is reprehensible but imagining what an Air Force lieutenant or whatever would make of a call explaining that one of his MPs was caught basedealing nonland permanents to the top, thus ensuring his opponent would be mana screwed is funny.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I'm not one to poo poo on v4 but the graveyard change in the update is just awful.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Has anyone else been getting the "deck submission error: log out and in again" bug since the update? Its happened both drafts I've done this weekend. The first time I was able to log in and make my deck in time, but the second I was stuck with 80 card decks r1. I filed for and got reimbursed both times, but still, annoying.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
These commander products will be sold online too, right?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What made Kamigawa so bad? Samuari, Ninja's and the whole Asian/Kawii poo poo that fantasy nerds seem to love would seem like big sellers to me.

It was actaul Japanese mythology stuff and not anime.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

No Gravitas posted:

Eh... I don't know much about Magic, but I'm bored. I need to kill some time.

I could research this, but I'm sure someone here already knows. Is there some list of decks which are considered really "cheap"? I don't mean in a "expensive" sense, I mean in the "rear end in a top hat" sense. Whatever is the cheapest, dirtiest and ugliest deck, I want to know. Bonus points if it is a deck that consistently creates ties, if a tie in Magic is possible.

I just want to play with the computer, I won't actually use any of it on humans.

If you mean competitive in a real format, whatever deck is "cheap/assholish" will also be expensive, because you probably mean which deck can win the most. If you don't mean that, you probably mean combo, which can fizzle and do nothing or go off and beat your opponent before they have a chance to do anything. Thats Jeskai Ascendency in standard, and I guess modern right now, too.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

No Gravitas posted:

There is this thing called "Wagic", that is what I want to use. I thought it had some AI that I could beat up in extremely unfair ways?

I misread your post, I'm sorry. I don't know what Wagic is, the only ways I know to play against a "computer" are Duels of the Planeswalkers and the Shandralar game from like 20 years ago

ok just looked briefly at Wagic; so its a goldfish simulator? In that case try a Storm deck.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I'm wondering if you could make better use of your time.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

A fun exercise is going to your MTGO collection and changing the Quantity dropdown to filter only by cards you have 20+ of in your collection. Reveals a lot about your draft tendencies/provides a nice walk down memory lane, assuming you don't regularly liquidate your draft leavings (not sure how you'd even do that for junk commons).

I was reminded that I loved drafting wall-stall in RTR (36 Lobber Crews, 26 Doorkeepers) and Simic evolve decks in Gatecrash (43 Keymaster Rogues).

Don't do this if you compulsively draft, though; it might hint at the total amount of money you've dumped into mtgo (51 Divinations)

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Modern: UR Delver Cruise lol
Standard: MonoB beatdown, and I have everything for UB control except the vaults and like 1 or 2 Digs. I might wait for the 3BB wrath because I cant justify paying 12 tix for a Vault.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

haha oh Geordie...

Hahaha. Like SCG gives a gently caress about his insane twitter feed.

v Literally, apparently.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 17, 2014

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Modo is fine and vastly preferable to playing magic in person.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

En Fuego posted:

re: Stupid poo poo you did as a kid playing MTG

Had no concept of deck construction and just played every cool/favorite card (2-300 card, 5 color decks) and because of the inconsistency, drew up to seven every turn and could play any number of lands per turn. Games still lasted hours.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is, 2 mana Planeswalker is probably a bad idea to begin with so long as WOTC is set on making every PW follow the same design they've been using since Lorwyn. Its not like you couldn't make them really good and sort of fair for 2 mana, it would just have to look like this or something:

Bob, the Dark Confidant BB [2]

0: At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost.

In reality, this is better than Dark Confidant since it lets you draw on the turn you played it, but for a 2 mana walker to be good I think they'd have to give it less than three abilities since the plus ability NEEDS to be bad on a 2-mana walker. The only two designs that I can think of that would really work are a) Does nothing terribly good until you build to a modest ult, or b) more or less just sits there and spams one ability while being super fragile.

This is basically just an enchantment though, and a pretty insane one. The point of walkers (besides being big splashy mythics that sell packs) is that they offer choices. You can kill your Jace Beleran to get some card advantage, or pump him up to dodge more removal, etc.

edit:
Maybe this would be fair:
0: Night's Whisper
-1: Bob on next upkeep.

I do think they should experiment beyond the +, protect this, -, incremental advantage, big ult model though.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 26, 2014

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Dungeon Ecology posted:

"Th-the M-ma-Master would like y-you to d-d-discard two cards-mmhu." Or are you talking about Frank Zappa with the Hand-cloak?

also, lol "My Dinner with Tourach"

Torgo, 2B
Legendary Lackey

t: add a Knees counter to Torgo. For every Knees counter on Torgo, Torgo can block an additional creature.

2/3

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Its only scummy because the other players didn't think of it. Its not cheating and and unlike the awful post complaining about playing loud music outside his hotel, it isn't conventionally illegal either. You can't even term it bad sportsmanship because the consistent theme in these "no its scummy" posts is an inability to define what he is even doing wrong in a way you could actually describe a rule prohibiting it.

Hiding a Hornet Queen under your playmat is cheating. Scouting your opponents is not. Literally all you have to do is bring your cards before you show up or have a third party make the purchase. Its not difficult.

Scummy means going against the "spirit" of the competition. The spirit of the competition is that deck, luck and skill in-game determine the victor, not who has the best out-of-game intelligence.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't agree that out-of-game intelligence is not part of the game. Reading the metagame is clearly within that realm.

I'd say studying the metagame falls more under deckbuilding and skill, whereas "out of game intelligence" would be like, a spy has informed you that your opponent can't concentrate and becomes anxious when he hears the word "ex-patriot"; you work "ex-patriot" into your conversation 60 times while playing the match against him. It's not against the rules, but most people would consider it rude and its not an inherent part of the game.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

If they held the Pro Tour on MODO, I have a feeling someone would enter using Kenny McCormick's special invite for his Cock Magic championship.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/protour/frf/invitations

On stream last night Paul Cheon seemed actually annoyed that Kenny got an invite and he didnt.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Kor Firewalker / Forgetender, Spell Pierce, Bolt, Tronlands,

Was drafting all 3 tronlands viable in its original set? I could see that replacing eldrazi spawn as the "ramp to emrakul" plan in limited.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Froghammer posted:

...go home.

It's a valid question after all the cheating allegations recently.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Hearth stone owns but brand loyalty is a funny thing.

Pretty sure he was making a virgin joke, but...

Hearthstone's UI is beautiful but it feels like checkers to MtG's chess.It will never replace magic, until Mtgo starts emptying people's checking accounts or something (without their consent, I mean)

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I tend not to do those other possible activities in my underpants, if I can help it.

Hearth stone does lack the instant mechanic but I do like how the creature combat is more nuanced. I wouldn't say it's checkers when board state is more difficult than the magic version of hurf durf defenders almost always have the advantage. Look at the current midrange crisis of both standard and draft - HS doesn't have this stalemate problem.

Yeah, that's all true, but losing the instant mechanic is huge in my opinion; it means outside of secrets/traps, youre simply not playing 50% of the game. HS also feels (emphasis on 'feels'; I dont pretend to be an expert on the game) way more reliant on topdecks, way less reliant on resource management/deck construction, etc. It just feels more "toy"; certainly fun, but I've never had boardstates/decision trees in hearthstone like i've had in magic.

Easily the best thing about Hearthstone is the arena thing of being able to draft a deck, then pick it up whenever instead of being tied to 3 rounds in realtime. But it sounds like the inclusion of leagues in MTGO is a step to correct that.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I really don't like Manifest as a mechanic. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm iffy on it, and there is way more of it than I thought there'd be.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

I feel like Fates is filled with bombs. I think taking the mana fixing in the 2 khans packs is going to be really important so you stay open to splashing the off color bombs you open in fates.

I dunno about "bombs" but the fact that there are 5 4/4 flyers with upside for 6 across all colors at uncommon is definitely big/possibly annoying.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Heisenator posted:

Any thoughts on what Fate Reforged cards might fit into, or alter, the current standard U/B Control or G/B Whip decks? Those are the two I primarily play.

The 3BB dragon-wrath to replace Vault in UB maybe?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Im hoping to play UB control post rotation with Crux of Fate, hoping it doesnt need Ugin because of cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Caught the end of a UB control deck playing the Golden Fang, that seems interesting.

• Locked thread