Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Sickening posted:

Bryan Braun has 4x sorin in his azban deck. Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo that deck. I will never play it because the pricetag on that deck is gross but wow, interesting game for sure.
Niiiiiice, I cracked one at the FNM yesterday. Looks like I'm going to have a free roll at my LGS next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I know a guy that says "mootavault" who evidently either doesn't really get or care about the fact that it's a really basic combination of the words mutant/mutating and vault.
How the hell do you pronounce mutant without a moo sound?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
A bit of signal boosting, Past Past League is still going on, with the current format being Magic 2015, Shards of Alara block, Odyssey block, and Magic 2013. You've got until Friday if you want to join up, and quite a few deck ideas have been posted if you don't want to start from scratch.

Also, it's sort of become the general casual Magic meet up thread - Ramos is organizing a Powered Cube Draft for this Saturday if you're interested.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Edit: never mind, misunderstood

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Posting to say 5-color in draft is extremely fun / not out of the question to even force. Tried it for the first time today where I just kept taking lands and powerful cards, and ended up with a sweet deck with a lot of play to it that wasn't boring (like the clan decks can be, I've found). Maybe not the best strategy for an 8-4, but for swiss where you just want to have fun interactive games with a gorgeous mana base it's a sweet deck to draft. The life-gain on the lands + ability to cast morphs in a pinch makes it much more consistent/less painful than you'd think.
Yeah, I had a great run with one on Friday. I feel like I could have taken the semi-finals at least if I hadn't run into an Ashcloud Phoenix, and also if my opponent hadn't watched me play my first round opponent and see most of my morphs.

Am I being a bit weird for being annoyed at that? It probably didn't matter, and I didn't feel comfortable telling him not to watch... but he did have information that I didn't have.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Spergy rant: Something that really bugs me about Khans is how they insisted on making a new creature type, Naga, for the snake people instead of just saying they're snakes like every other time Magic has had snake people, but all the Ainoks are hounds. Come on, Wizards, at least be consistent!
Snakes don't have names, therefore Naga.

Hounds have arms and legs, therefore no Ainoks.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

So let me get this straight, revealing the cards aside, because that seems like fair to mindgames someone with, you could say you were playing four bolts, if they counter the first one play something more important in response and keep the rest of the bolts? Could you just say you were casting something that you didn't even have if you aren't obligated to actually play it?

Ok, here's an example: my opponent has dispel in hand. Can I say I'm playing 4 instants, order them from most important to least, see what they counter and drop a creature with flash, say a snapcaster instead of everything after their counter?
Yes...? You're playing around Dispel, and they've got to play around Snapcaster Mage. They counter your first spell, you get to respond by casting Snapcaster Mage instead - exactly what would happen if you did things correctly and showed each card one at a time. And if they don't counter any of your spells, well, they've got you - you declared you're casting them, you don't get to take it back at the fourth spell, and you don't get to play Snapcaster Mage. Better hope that fourth, least most important spell was worth casting instead.

You say you're casting them, it's implicit that what you're saying is "...Unless you do something in response." If you didn't want to implicitly say that, you can hold priority. But you can't go back on it if they say go ahead.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

You're making GBS threads me.
Forget it, Literally The Worst, it's Chinatown.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Zoness posted:

Huh, trading the invite is always a thing that was allowed in paper PTQs. People trade ticks/packs for QPs all the time on modo anyway afaik.
Yeah... I'm pretty sure that's actually okay? Offering them the 8-7 split in return for the win on your record is okay, and that seems like a logical extension of that. As long as he didn't offer you any additional payment, I think he'd be in the clear.

Edit: Looks like that seems to be the rules. Does seem like he'd be pushing the letter of the law a little bit though, which was probably why the TOadmin stepped in.

Jonked fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 10, 2014

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Zoness posted:

Offering cash is always a huge red flag in anything involving prize splits wrt magic.
As well it should be. Once you start getting into trading fungible assets, you're opening a world of pain. I was just saying that, as a logical extension, he'd probably be able to argue that it was all fine. But on the other hand, you can make almost anything sound terrible by taking it to the extremes.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Boxman posted:

I think it's been posted before, but is there a trick to using it? I can never seem to find matches for cards (although it's possible my collection is just too lovely.)
Well the first thing to do is make sure auto matching is on and filtered to just the US. The second part is just keeping a close eye on the available trade screen - big money cards get snatched pretty quick for KTK, and older trades are less common, partly because less people are looking for modern cards, partly because they tend to be more expensive and people don't have the points for them yet. I think it has slow down a bit the last few weeks as people finished their standard decks - I've gotten about 10k points but the first 8000 took as long as the last 2000.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Reene posted:

I got fed 3 Chiefs (2 edge 1 scale), 2 Disowned Ancestors, 2 Hordechiefs, 2 Warshriekers, Mardu Ascendancy, Bloodflies, and a Murderous Cut during draft tonight. Dunno what the gently caress everyone else at my table was playing. :psyduck:
Played someone who got handed that deck, although I didn't see the Ascendancy or Cut. I would have beat him with Temur Prowess Punch if hadn't Dead Drop'd me the turn before I could kill him with my two dudes on the board.

I know all the reasons why Dead Drop isn't a great card, but drat if it isn't back-breaking in the right situation.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
He's splashing for Qasali Pridemage you guys, duh. Serious answer, it could have been a Flooded Strand?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I'm going to run Overgrown Tombs instead of Bayous in my Elves deck, at least for the time being. It doesn't change the price tag on Gaea's Cradle, but it does save me a good ~$280 on the rest of the deck.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Sotar posted:

Need to rant a little bit:

Dear people shipping cards:

Put the card in a sleeve, then put the sleeved card in a toploader. Tape the toploader shut. Do not skip any part of this process. Especially do not tape the sleeve shut and ESPECIALLY do not tape the sleeve if it is a loose penny sleeve that is not at all rigid. I just damaged a card because some rear end in a top hat taped the penny sleeve shut. Granted it is a $2 card so it is not a big deal, but it is still frustrating.
If you want to be fancy and add some extra protection, add some shipping card board. Don't want to pay for it? Cereal box cardboard is about the same thickness, just cut it up. Also, write "do not bend" so they don't put it through a machine.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Gonna need a modal enchantment exile card imo
Enchantment, 3W
when ~ enters the battlefield, exile a creature from the game and returnit to the battlefield when ~ leaves, or return a creature you own from the exile zone to the battlefield under your control and exile it when ~ leaves the battlefield.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
That Winterflame question actually reminded me of something from last FNM that I wanted to double check. I've got a Pine Walker flipped up, and two creatures face down with evasion. I wanted to both untap them to block on the crack back, and unmorph them so that my opponent couldn't block them. So I declared attackers, tapped both my dudes, told him I had effects before blockers, unmorphed and untapped them, and said he couldn't block due to evasion. I wasn't sure if I could actually do this, so I asked my opponent if he wanted to call a judge. He said it was fine and that he was pretty sure that's how the rules worked, but it's still bugging me, and I feel like there's a reason why that shouldn't work.

Ultimately, it didn't matter and he won game 3, but I'd still like to know.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

JerryLee posted:

This is something I didn't think about, but yeah, I'd think this makes it less likely for the enemy fetches to be in FRF. Still not impossible, but less likely.

Maybe they could say that since they were technically from an unreleased set, they aren't Standard legal until the set in question gets released? That would be confusing to a certain low-information segment of the customer base, though, so it's probably a nonstarter.
I feel like it wouldn't be hard to understand for somebody whose informed enough to know what standard is, it's from a set that isn't released yet and therefore won't be legal yet. And if anything, I feel like it would be a gift to the retailers.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Gensuki posted:

Having shards and wedges would be nice for drafting because it supports 2 colors a bit more. In a triple Khans draft, you want to be in two enemy colors, because the mana support is rougher for ally colors.

There are two UG tri-lands/banners, Sultai and Temur, but only one each for RG, Temur. The reverse problem is in shards, but instead of it being a problem, it becomes the solution.

Of course, the problem with all of this is that the reason they said this wouldn't be a wedge set is because the design space isn't really there (hence why they ended up doing 5 color for Alara) so I doubt that they've found new shard space for the third set of this block, when they didn't have it a few years ago.
My personal theory is that they're going to do an allied pairs for the dragon broods and enemy pairs for the khans, and encourage synergies based on colors. So you're still running 3 colors, rather than the strict 2 colors that RTR pushed, but what those three colors are and how they work together are more up in the air. It especially makes sense to me since, usually, dragons are tough to design at lower CMC. Your clan fills out the low end of the curve (Mardu Shadowspear, Mardu Assault Chief) and the dragon brood fills out your top end (Kolaghan). All baseless speculation, of course.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Entropic posted:

What was people's problem with him? Was it just that he wasn't shy about claiming to be an amazingly good limited player?
I think that it was mostly because he "talked over" Marshall, although I think that's just a lack of practice. Ryan and Marshall talked over each other a lot in the first year - turns out the internet equivalent of radio DJ is actually a really tough job that requires a particular skill set. Who knew!

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
A card that's comparable to lava axe, except it adds another copy to your library and will enable a few clear archetypes. That... seems pretty good for a five drop common. The shuffle into library effect seems really good actually - when you're at the point that you're casting a lava axe, the card you want is a second lava axe, but you don't have to actually draft it or have it in your pile.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Except whip exiles, so it's a bit weird to see people use it as a shorthand for reanimate.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Ojetor posted:

Couldn't you use True Believer instead? 2 toughness isn't particularly impressive either, but it's still better than 1.
Not really. Not dying to shock seems to be the level. you need. I might be wrong though.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Mister Olympus posted:

How does Hero's Blade interact with gods? I'm assuming worst-case scenario: it only attaches if they enter with the appropriate amount of devotion, unattaches as soon as devotion is gone, and doesn't do anything when they switch between creature and not-a-creature.
My understanding is that you are correct. The only sticking point i can think of is whether you'd need 5 blue pips before Thassa enters to attach it, or just 4.I think you'd only need 4?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress the secondary market. Ban the original dual lands. Force legacy into a shock meta. :getin:

Wouldn't that warp things towards burn and combo decks? I wouldn't mind, I'm running elves, but I'd hate playing mono - red and Sneak and Tell every week.

Edit: you know, besides the obvious reasons

Jonked fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 14, 2015

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Jitte seems like such a crazy unfair card in cube that I can't imagine it being any better in Modern.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

Temur sabretooths! Protect your dudes and bounce the manifests that would be handy to play.
I'm messed around with this a bit. Whisperwood Elemental, Temur Sabertooth, Rattleclaw Mystics, Sagu Maulers. It worked alright but ultimately it felt like a bad version of the Temur Combo deck that's going around. I posted an earlier U/G Trail of Mystery deck in the deckbuilding thread, but I don't think I updated it. That said, I'm not an amazing deck builder and it felt like it had some potential, so it's possible someone will figure out how to make it hum, or something vital could be printed in Dragons of Tarkir.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Sarcastro posted:

How much of a consideration is money?
Yep, unfortunately Unflinching Assault is not a very good deck from a competitive point of view, and must of them won't really perform on that level. That said, it can still be fun to just play Magic, and you might be able to brew a Black/White warriors deck that can at least put up a fight.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Lancelot posted:

— in Khans of Tarkir, there are five three-colour "wedge" clans: Jeskai (RWU), Sultai (GUB), Mardu (WBR), Temur (URG), and Abzan (BGW). If you start off in your first pack picking cards of an allied colour pair, then you're locked into exactly one clan. If you start off picking cards of an enemy colour pair (like WB or UR), then you are open to two clans when the cards from Khans come around. In general, it's better to be open to draft the good tri-coloured cards in the second and third packs.
Generally agreeing with everything everyone else is saying, especially Lancelot, but wanted to add in one more important thing: you get two packs of Khans of Tarkir. That means two packs of 3-color Charms (all of the charms are worth playing if you can reasonably expect to cast them) and 3-color morphs (absolutely ALL of the morph cycle are worth playing if you're splashing their colors) are going to go around.It's very likely that most of the table will get married to some rare or color pair, and you'll see extremely late Wedge cards. Pay attention to this, and consider moving in. I've been B/R because of a Kolaghan in pack one, and moved in HARD into Abzan because it was open. A Kolaghan is great. The five or six Abzan Charms and Abzan Guides circling the table because nobody is in that clan is better. FRF 2x KTK is a format that extremely rewards players who read signals, stay open, and make speculative picks, so be quick to evaluate the cost/benefit of abandoning a color and moving into a wedge.

Also all the pros hate on red but I have literally never lost a draft where I went hard into red in the Fate Reforged pack. Like my ideal bomb rare is Outpost Siege or Kolaghan and just grabbing all the aggressive R/B cards, but that's more personal opinion than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Rimusutera posted:

I'd hold foils, personally. Its what I'm doing with my foil Delta.
In a couple years, some is going to want to bling out their modern deck or cube or whatever, and is going to be willing to pay quite a premium for it. No real reason to sell it right now.

• Locked thread