Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

neetengie posted:

The rest of the market?

That's a lovely way of looking at it and i say that as someone who never pays their prices. SCG has a unique position in the market and i think overall their influence is a net positive for the community as a whole.

If a big retailer like them didn't exist the market would be way crazier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Maro is great at his job but I can't express how uninteresting it is to hear him talk about it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

notbrant posted:

So I am going to be meeting up with an old buddy to buy his "old" cards off him.

In order to give good advice you need to let people know what you want to do with them after you buy them.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That's correct, it has both the CMC's (and other properties) of each half, so as long as one part of the split card meets the requirements it is a valid choice for Inquisition.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Puca Trade is weird to me because there is already a thing which I can exchange for cards I have and use to get other cards I want and its called money. The minor advantages Puca Trade offer don't seem worth it when I remember that at no point could I take my Puca Points and buy a phone or pay for a movie like I've done so many types with my stupid dork cardboard fund. Also lmao if you think the police would give two shits about your missing Puca Points if the operators ever just cut and run.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

odiv posted:

The LGS here wants $42 for Stormbreath Dragon and I've tried twice and failed to get people in the selling/trading thread to send cards to Canada

You could buy it for 21 CAD at Face to Face games?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

You can't take your magic cards to a theater and pay with them either so I don't know what the gently caress you're :smuggo:ing about here. It's a website for trading cards.

Its a website where you exchange cards for points, and then you exchange those points for other cards. That's not trading cards, its selling them and buying them. I have no problem with that, I do it all the time, I just prefer to do it with a currency I can use at more places than a single website for niche collectibles.

If there is one thing I think people like about Puca Trade its the automation. The thing I hear most people complain about selling/buying and trading in general is haggling for prices. Puca Trade takes that out of the equation and I think people love that, something about not having to deal with setting prices or considering an offer makes people willing to accept the fact that you're essentially selling and buying cards except never getting any cash.

I don't mind dealing with an occasional low ball or a dude that wants SCG retail for his stuff, and so I'd rather get rid of my poo poo on TCG Player and have cash than deal with Puca Trade.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 21, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I imagine using points has more to do with avoiding certain headaches than anything else. I'm guessing if you set up an exchange where people trade each other imaginary wizard poker currency instead of real money you save your self a pile of legal questions and concerns.

Yawgmoth posted:

By this logic all trading by a set price guide is just rapid fire buying and selling.

No it is not.

For example if I wanted I could get rid of all my cards and never get a single card mailed to me in return. Puca Trade isn't working like a three way trade in the slightest. It's not you sending a Dark Confidant to someone who has a Lion's Eye Diamond, so they can send the Lion's Eye Diamond to someone else who then sends you a Force of Will, that's a "three way trade". Puca Trade just connects you with someone who wants a Dark Confidant and gives you a number of points for it, which you could then use to get a Lion's Eye Diamond or a Force of Will, that's more analogous to selling than it is to trading.

Yawgmoth posted:

you'd seriously rather sell your cards and lose money, and then spend more money later on to get other cards using that cash, than you would to trade cards on a site for trading and get those cards' actual values? And this is somehow better because "heh, I get cash :smug:"

You're assuming using money as the medium to exchange cards is a loss in value. It doesn't have to be, and in fact its worked out great for me. In two years I've completed a play-set of Dual Lands, have pretty much every legacy playable outside a few random things like a tabernacle or the abyss and I have three pieces of P9, I also have no income to speak of and spend maybe 50 bucks a month on Magic.

I've also been able to buy a new PC, get my girlfriend a phone, and pay for all sorts of random poo poo from my silly Wizard Poker portfolio. I would have never been able to do that if I worked with Puca Trade instead of cash.

So yeah cash is better than Puca Points, I've no idea why you find that to be smug. Its better than Bitcoin, its better than Home Depot gift cards, Cash is King man.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 21, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

This Miracles player is not very good.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I guess I'm just old and grumpy but these cards seem fine but not particularly exciting.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hahahaha are you serious.

"Yes this card is being played, it will therefore probably be banned"

lmao if you think Ancestral Recall is going to stay legal in Modern

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's a turn 2-3 combo, it will get banned within 6 months if the deck's any good.

:lol: Look at this retard who thinks a card is going to get banned because it's being played

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 27, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

edit: I guess that was a joke? :shrug:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

St0rmD posted:

With urborg in play you could get any basic, right? That makes it....still meh, but at least you can fix all your splash colors in black I guess.

No. Urborg, and most cards that say "all" refer only to cards on the battlefield.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lol yeah that 7 CMC sorcery is real backbreaking

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Cool card, and a good example of why people are critical of a lot of other cards in the set. Just because you're making big splashy cards that will never break into eternal formats doesn't mean you can't make interesting and fun cards to play with.

This is great and has some unique effects as opposed to a lovely version of goblin welder with a looting ability.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's not even about power level, Nahiri isn't busted or amazing as far as raw power but it does cool things and is genuinely new and interesting.

Being able to describe a new walker in terms of two different cards isn't a good thing, and especially so when the two effects aren't particularly powerful or compelling.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I wonder if that Sneak and Show hoser will see much play. Death and Taxes already has a great matchup between Karakas Thalia and Revoker and I doubt SnS is what's holding Maverick back. Don't see any of the white control decks running that card when they have access to permission and more flexible hate.

Maybe that shitball soldiers list becomes solid tier 1.5?

Hell Sneak and Show has barely been winning.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

stinkles1112 posted:

The feelbads dude. THE FEELBADS.

You're doing something really poorly if a 7 mana quasi sweeper is causing you problems.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

D&T really likes this against Elves (Natural Order/GSZ and incidentally Dryad Arbor via GSZ, fetch, or even played from hand), which is a tough matchup.

Yeah that's true. Solid work against reanimator and dredge too. Looks like a possible sideboard tech but I don't think is drop it main.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BXCX posted:

I'm not saying WotC needs to put a Tarmogoyf in every pot or that precons should have zero garbage cards, but it would be sweet if they gave Modern players a pat on the back that says "don't worry lil buddy, we're paying attention and trying to keep modern accessible but not too accessible since you should really just be playing standard :kheldragar:."

They've reprinted Shocks, Thoughtseize, and Fetchlands in rapid succession I don't think they can push modern reprints much more without Standard flat out becoming an unappealing option.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

They're all people he hired though, aren't they? And honestly, they should probably know better than to print green Oblivion Ring.

Why? other than "Maro cares a lot about the color pie"

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Because the fact that colors have distinct identities is what makes Magic good.

That doesn't mean colors can't do certain things ever. Six years ago Maro would have stamped his feet and bitched and moaned about green ever seeing conditional removal, and now "fight" is a mechanic firmly in greens wheelhouse, to the benefit of the game, especially in limited environments.

The slippery slope argument is dumb, its perfectly possible to protect distinct color identities and explore a way a color might do something it typically doesn't it's just harder than having a big moan about the color pie like its sacred.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Edit: ^^^ why even have colors if every color can do everything? One of the fundamental principles of deckbuilding is that because every color can't do everything, your choice of color to play is actually meaningful.

lmao are you serious dude "WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE LAWS IF PEOPLE BREAK THEM"

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This is literally completely incoherent, geez. Let's not get so mad about wizard poker, yeah?

It's a real dumb thing to say. A mediocre green version of O-Ring does not suddenly make all the colors interchangeable.

Angry Grimace posted:

The colors have actual strategic limitations, not whatever you can justify with flavor (which is literally anything in any color). Again, Maro makes the point better than I can:

That rationale can just as easily be applied to cards like Act on Impulse and Hunt the Weak, both of them violate the color pie just as much as Hornet Queen and Song of the Dryads.

It basically boils down to "breaking the color pie is OK when Maro says it is" and It'd be cool if he was at least honest about it.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 31, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

gang sines posted:

also i'm not of the opinion that this card is some hugely important printing, i think it's going to be fairly irrelevant, i just disagree with Maro's rabid color pie orthodoxy.

It's not even orthodoxy, he fully approves of green having creature removal via the fight mechanic and red can totally have "draw" via the exile and play thing it's doing lately but he gets super mad that a flying bug has deathtouch, its super dumb.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It is fine though, Neither Beast Within nor Song of the Dryads has changed the fact that if you're playing a heavily green focused deck you're seriously hosed when it comes to efficient removal, especially in the eternal format. Green still lives under the exact same restrictions it did before this piece of top tier kitchen table jank got printed.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I don't get the obsession with precedent.

Precedent didn't mean gently caress all when it came to make creatures better they just said "hmmm its probably better if we make creatures better" and then they did but apparently the occasional card that violates the color pie is going to become some massive albatross around the designers neck?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The hat and shirt worn by the Minotaurs player, just wow, breathtaking really.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao seriously dude? It's not like you lost out on a pro tour win, you hosed up and got a game loss for it, just shrug it off.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I've missed out on a PTQ Top 8 to drawing extra cards, I've hosed up mulligans and gone down to four in the must win match to make Day 2 of a GP, have had to call a Judge and hang my head in shame when a game winning Burning Wish resolved and I counted 17 cards in my sideboard.

Magic has left me butthurt and salty plenty of times but you have to learn to shrug it off, laugh at yourself, crack jokes. No one likes the guy who loses to something and spends all of dinner after the event whining or makes a face and says "I quit" because they messed something up. Don't be that guy.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

A baby pre-release pack with the alternate art gimmick is really neat and I hope things like that take the place of the lame seeded boosters in the future.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

A game loss that resulted in a match loss that knocked me out of the one big tournament I can play in a year when I was super far ahead in life and cards and my opponent was dead on board that turn.

Yeah, that's real sad. We've all got a million bad beat stories dude. If you want people to commiserate that's one thing but "I'm gonna quit competitive magic" makes you look like a giant baby. Don't draw extra cards, or at the very least just shake your head and move on when you gently caress it up.

Zorak posted:

BAD NEWS: seeded backs are still a thing ala Khans, the alternate art things are something on the side?

I figured, it's just a cool gimmick, and I hope that's the sort of gimmick they use in the future to pump pre-releases in the future. Instead of the clan/guild choice stuff.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Look dude, I'm not trying to dump on you or anything but there's a huge difference between "man that tournament was not as fun as i hoped and i don't think ill do that anymore" and "i lost and that ruins everything for me"

It's pretty sad if losing a game ruined the entire event for you. What did you expect to win your first ever GP or whatever?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Did I miss something or did Bradley Yoo not play a brain maggot there that could have hit the retraction helix?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Boco_T posted:

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/jeskai_heroic_combo_deck_tech_.html for what I assume is a similar list, although this specific guy isn't 8-1 with the deck.

This is within two cards of the list in the Top 8.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Bradley Woo facing down the one deck he lost to in the swiss in the top 8, and just got comboed off, again

It's a shame watching the games because, he's playing very well but the meta was unprepared for Heroic Ascendancy and so his deck just doesn't have the tools to handle this match up.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Constellation is very good at beating the other mid range decks and has decent play against most other decks, after a lot of Abzan Midrange in the meta its not surprising to see the deck do well.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Watching a deck run riot through a completely unprepared meta is just painful.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

An incredibly similar list at the hands of a good pilot in Glen Jones went 1-2 drop.

Ivan played great, came into an unprepared meta, and had some sick top decks. Let's see a few more dominant results in a prepared meta before we start discussing how problematic a deck is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

atastypie posted:

Dredge is really boring :(

That was a great game you're just hating dredge to hate dredge at this point.

• Locked thread