Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinkif about this the other day? alien turnig proved with the Turing test that even back in ww2 computers can "think" but what about web pages?

I mean a web page? what is a web page? it's just garbage right? like a certain combination of garbage encoded and emailed down the Internet to your computer? so so the computer think? but the web page is on the computer ? so what computer is doing the thinkig? the server? the receiving computer? the computer cables in between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I figured "YOSPOS is full of people that claim to work with computers as they job"? so it me wonder? maybe I can post a thread to ask them?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:smugmrgw:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i wish you wouldve tried thinking when you made this thread, op!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:xd:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Widdiful posted:

i wish you wouldve tried thinking when you made this thread, op!

um well thats why i am wondering about web pages thinking? i mean my can computer can think? freeing me from the burdern?

but does the webpage think? can it replace my thjinking like the computer does for me?

if not is there a plugin?

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

echinopsis posted:

um well thats why i am wondering about web pages thinking? i mean my can computer can think? freeing me from the burdern?

but does the webpage think? can it replace my thjinking like the computer does for me?

if not is there a plugin?

no no no
no no
no

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
perhaps I have not been clear?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the wabbit and i'd like our money back echi

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
anything is possible at zombocom

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i dont think computers can think op

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
the computer thinks and the websites are the thoughts

hth

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
do websites feel pain when you post on them?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jonad posted:

anything is possible at zombocom

same and also timecube

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
the answer is yes web pages can think. CSS is "turing complete" so a web page can do anything any other program can do

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
op - Google had a project called CADIE that was self-aware program that wrote blog entries, but they took it down

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/landing/cadie/

it was kind of cute. i wish it still existed

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
yes, op

here is a web page that can think http://www.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/chess.html

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nothing related to web pages involves thinking

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

yes, they do think, op, but only if u install the thinking-cap framework on the host machine

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
no they can't think, OP. web pages are like thoughts in the mind of a computer but can't actually think on their own. hope this hels

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doesnt help me

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

echinopsis posted:

doesnt help me

u need help, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i went to a javascript talk with a guy who wrote a raytracer in a webpage that used webworkers and had a central webpage (via CORS) that delegated jobs so i guess that means distributed AI which doesn't depend on subsecond latency will eventuate via websockets / json and you can stop judgment day with lots of alt-f4 hope this helps

• Locked thread