Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
We all now how good a slice of life anime about japanese Girls can be. But what about a slice of life anime involving guys just being dudes, in a general way?
If you can think of any, discuss them here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Daily Lives of High School Boys

That's it. No others. It's pretty good for being the only one, tho.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cromartie High School.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Jojo is the best guys being dudes anime, because it features two guybros friending it up together and bonding by mutually pissing into another man's mouth.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Otokojuku is a show about manly men who go to man school to learn how to be even manlier.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Cromartie Highschool dubbed.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Bartender

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
ping pong club has enough fart and dick humor to satisfy. but i digest - give hokuto no ken, kuso miso technique, and golgo 13 a try.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saint Young Men

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

TNG posted:

Otokojuku is a show about manly men who go to man school to learn how to be even manlier.

I was going to recommend this but I've not watched the entire show, it seems pretty faitfhul to the original manga except it removes some of the most violent parts. At the beginning is like Cromartie high but with more fights, but after a time it goes full Fist of the North star.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

I was going to recommend this but I've not watched the entire show, it seems pretty faitfhul to the original manga except it removes some of the most violent parts. At the beginning is like Cromartie high but with more fights, but after a time it goes full Fist of the North star.

No, it goes full parody of fist of the north star. Otokojuku was always a comedy.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

TNG posted:

Fighting is NOT very dudelike, in my opinion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
We already got the top 3 in the first three posts:
Jojo, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Cromartie High

Close thread.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Junjo Romantica

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Free and Yowamushi Pedal!

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Well, here are some.

Astro Fighter Sunred- this guy does a lot of piece of crap failson stuff that i relate to
Kids on the Slope- this one is actually about 2 homos in jazz band but it fits the criteria too
Golden Boy- The golden boy is always going around hugging a toilet and doing funny sexual assaults
Welcome to the NHK- this one is about 2 goons
Street Fighter 2- well, people tell me this isn't a slice of life but actually I do a lot of the same stuff that Ryu and Ken do like streetfighting and being extremely courageous so I think it counts

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

DrSunshine posted:

Free and Yowamushi Pedal!

Yowapeda isn't wholly inaccurate, but does anyone really act like those Free dudes?

Is it just pretty people? Am I and the people around me not pretty enough to know anyone who acts like them?

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 30, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yowapeda isn't wholly inaccurate, but does anyone really act like those Free dudes?

Is it just pretty people? Am I and the people around me not pretty enough to know anyone who acts like them?

Those are actually shows about how homosexuals act.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
A lot of people mistake the behavior of homosexuals for the behavior of beautiful people because they're almost always one and the same. But actually, sometimes gay people are fat and gross like the very ones which post on these forums.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Golden Boy is some Major win fo sho, my man.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I know it's already been said but Daily Lives of High School Boys can't be said enough.

And Kids on the Slope is extremely good, slightly different type of show though; Daily Lives is like a gag show, Kids on the Slope has a lot more drama. It was one of the best shows that season.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Junjo Romantica

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Forget about Animes and just read Boku to Issho. It is the Zenith of dudeness.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tatami Galaxy

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Tatami Galaxy

Ping Pong The Animation

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Sports shows don't count

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw99SbrjWWE

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Saint Young Men

This is a better answer and closer to the spirit of the question than any of the stuff I came up with, let's go with that.

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Sports shows don't count

But club activities do?

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Man, I really need to watch Ping Pong Club.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Sports shows don't count

Says you :colbert:

Hajime No Ippo, whenever stuff like this happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpw3ItaYac0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nARO_CODag

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 1, 2014

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Since the series came up, you should also watch the Otokojuku movie. It stars, and was directed, by Tak Sakaguchi. He's the guy from Versus and Battlefield Baseball, and is the manliest man to ever be a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4QlptPN1M

It also has a sweet theme song.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Believe it or not, I'd say Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun has plenty of dude antics.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

But club activities do?

You can win a game of sports, you can't win a club. Sports lends itself naturally to a coherent plot, conflict, antagonists etc where slice of life by its definition does not. Aim for the Ace is not cute girls doing cute things.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ping Pong isn't exactly a slice of life show, but I'd hardly call it the same as other sports shows

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Everyone's suggesting Cromartie, but I think it might be a little too dull. It's just stuff happening in a normal Japanese high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxU1flQfQ-E

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!

Sexy Commando Gaiden

These are both anime with guys being dudes

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
ahhh i didnt recommend Sexy Commando Gaiden because it goes on way too loving long for the premise to support

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

ahhh i didnt recommend Sexy Commando Gaiden because it goes on way too loving long for the premise to support

this is an important point to consider. I never even finished it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyway, if anyone really cares to witness the strength of a man and his incredible journey, The Strongest Man Kurosawa is back.

• Locked thread