Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Hey nerds, go vote for my suggestion to get Microsoft to integrate the Wacom Bamboo API into OneNote iOS so I can use my Fineline to take notes.

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/256328-onenote-users/suggestions/6658380-wacom-bamboo-stylus-support-for-ios

If you care about that sort of thing, I mean. And actually, even if you don't :colbert:

FY because I GM Evernote. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a look!

I see there's an emoji button in the numbers/symbols page, but can it only do the one smiling face or is there some gesture to give me access to more emoji without having to switch the keyboard out?

You have to draw the emoji accurately.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

It's generally just different philosophies of how you use RSS. Some people want to see just headlines, and then click to read some of the articles, the mark it all read at the end. Other people want to skim the full post of every article, and have each one marked read as they go past it.

I find Unread is better for the first case, while Reeder is better for the second.

How do those two stack up in your terms against feedly?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cletus42o posted:

I installed Transit after seeing it mentioned in this thread, but the widget never works. I'm in NYC so there are plenty of trains around me. It either shows nothing at all (just the header for the "Nearby Lines" widget, with nothing underneath it before my next widget), or was showing "Unable to Load" before.

Tried Googling to find what the issue could be but couldn't find anything useful.

It's working for me. Try reinstalling?

CaptainCrunch posted:

Does anyone know of an RSS reader that can replace Pulse? I've been using it since it launched and I'm finally fed up with Linkdin's post acquisition making GBS threads up of the features.

Any ideas at all?

Yeah, check like five posts back. Three have been mentioned: reeder, unread, and feedly. I use feedly. It's good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Hey! Hey -- don't blame me for your poor life choices!

j/k -- I would rock Evernote if it supported the Bamboo API and if I didn't have to share notebooks with my coworkers who are hooked into OneNote.

Having stylus support right in the app would be pretty good, and I'm often jealous of onenote's document editing, but the search in Evernote won me over a few years ago and I imagine it would be a nightmare to switch now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

Notability finally got updated so it actually works on iOS 8 and the 6+.

I don't know if anyone actually uses notability anymore. It's my note app just because I'm too lazy to try out anything new.

It's the best I've found for taking hand-written notes on powerpoints. The cloud support is terrible though so I'd be open to something better.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dragonrah posted:

I finally decided to take the plunge and get a password manager. First, I downloaded 1Password. I didn’t end up using it because I couldn’t use it with Chrome. I deleted that and picked up Lastpass since it had the bookmarklets that I could use with Chrome. I got it setup fine and the browser in the app works. It will fill the email/username and password fields. I go to Chrome, load up the site I want to test, and then use the bookmarklet by typing the name I assigned to the bookmarklet in the address bar.

The Lastpass box pops up, but it says “No sites match this domain.” I’ve tried this with several sites and I’m getting the same thing.

Any ideas?

Make sure the URL in the password entry form in the vault matches the login URL and not just the general site URL.

For instance, https://www.facebook.com is just the website URL, it helps to make sure it says, https://www.facebook.com/login.php?login_attempt=1 or something to that effect. Though it's pretty functional to just have the general URL for most websites like FB, banks and stuff tend to need more accuracy. I've found that the best way is just to add entries from a computer browser when the little banner pops up after entering your info the first time, rather than from your device.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CitrusFrog posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking Plex, it looks pretty good. Also, what I meant by remote gateway is some of these media programs on ios require you to install a piece of software on your PC that acts as an interface/gobetween, and is required to be running for the media player in question to connect to the PC. I'm just used to being able to right-click a folder, hit share and make it network accessible without any other tomfuckery.

I'll give all of the suggestions a good look.

If you go with some of the players mentioned, or anything from this guide (I think AllCast is the app you want), you can just use Dropbox or Google Drive as your media server. Once your media is synced you'll be able to access it without your PC running. It's also possibly cheaper than Plex if you just buy the 1TB plan or whatever from Drive or Dropbox.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Seriously, Apple Maps has been really awesome for me. Launch was pretty shaky for it, but I use it a lot these days, and haven't had an issue.

Siri integration is also sweet in a car. "Hey Siri, take me to Quebec City" is pretty awesome. Though it's ridiculous that Apple thinks I can get there in less than two days from Edmonton.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

decypher posted:

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but Goodreader is on sale right now for .99c

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id777310222?mt=8

That's a steal, it's an awesome app despite the terrible UI.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thirst Mutilator posted:

What do you guys use it for?

Offline viewing of reference materials that I keep in Dropbox.
Reading/annotating TONS of PDFs.
Downloading the odd audio file or video from a website that I want on my iPad.
Emailing exact copies of files on the go, instead of just a cloud link.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

I think you're Massively underestimating the cost of 1TB of storage from either of those services.

Google Drive is 10 bucks a month for 1TB. Plex is 4.99 a month (there's also a 40 dollar annual plan or 150 for "lifetime") plus whatever it costs to run a streaming server all the time if you want equivalent service.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

The app sucks, actually. Can't add other media to it, keeps crashing when trying to import from Downcast. How do I go about getting a refund, or can't you get refunds from in app purchases?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=refund+app+store+purchase&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&gfe_rd=cr&ei=cK9zVPSTEIGGoQTR6YDgDw

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Does Goodreader allow me to just sync the notes, and highlights, but not the actual file itself? I've got a couple of ebooks and textbooks I would like to annotate and stuff, but if it syncs the entire file we're talking about couple hundred MBs every sync...

Edit: Actually can anyone recommend a pdf annotator that works well for large pdfs like textbooks? Does Goodreader serve this purpose?

It doesn't sync just the annotations, no. So you're right, a couple hundred mb sync every time can be a pain.

But there is a view to see only your annotations, which works perfectly for full books that I annotate, especially if you use some kind of annotation hashtag system to make them easily searchable by keyword. Yeah, I'm nerdy about my annotations. My honours thesis reference page was like 20 pages long and I will never lose a citation again, dammit! :argh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

teraflame posted:

Upon looking into this further, I have to buy it twice? On iOS and $50 windows license just to sync between them?

Solve this by paying 2 bux a month for Lastpass. 25 months later I'm sure you'll be ready to reevaluate.

Or deal with the annoying shareware business. v:shobon:v

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Finally I can plug HolePass again!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I have no idea but that's the fun part about exploits, really smart nerds manage to break it anyways.

Password managers are probably going to become the next big hacking target, it's only a matter of time before there's an exploit found and a lot of people have every single one of their accounts hijacked. Obscurity is what's protected them so far, but now that they're mainstream it's going to draw a lot of attention.

Still an extremely important and valuable tool and I'm not suggesting anyone abandon the practice, just be super cautious about what you grant access to.

I imagine they have some pretty badass security. Do they have badass security?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ursine Asylum posted:

Looking at the API, the only "exploit" I could see would be if the app sets an identifier of like "google.com", which would tell 1password "show logins for Google.com to the user". At which point the user would have to select the Google.com login (even if there's only one login, the extension doesn't autofill if there's one entry like it does on the desktop app) on a screen that says "this app wants your google credentials" and hit submit.

So it's about as prone to malicious attacks as just having a lovely app ask for your Google login in the first place.

Lastpass may be worse because it has a vault then, eh?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

On iPad it's tougher to use because my hands aren't big enough, but it does have a way to shrink and move the keyboard to the right or left so you can swipe type one-handed, which is cool.

For the phone I am finding it easier to use with some practice, but in my opinion there is a pretty steep learning curve.

I do think it's one of those things which will completely change the way I type over time though.

Does it still come with those OS-level bugs that basically ruin the whole experience?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bronin posted:

Are there any other apps like "out of milk" out there? I just need a simple app for grocery lists that I can share with my girlfriend so we can both add and cross off items.

Easiest is maybe to share a reminder list, in the stock reminders app.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

What's everyone favorite podcast app nowadays? The descriptions in the OP are a little scarce.

The stock one is free and has Siri integration, so that's good!

If it works for you, it's unreliable at times.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
A shared list isn't exactly a novel thing, there are dozen of good apps for that.

Check out:

Wunderlist
Evernote
Things
Any.do
Google Keep
Paprika

To name a few other than reminders.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zwille posted:

So it has a directory of recipes, a calendar and a shopping list? Like you can fill the calendar with whatever recipes you wanna do that day? That's neat, might make me buy it.

E: Just checked it out on the store and apparently it does. It's just not universal but I guess it'll still synch between iPad and iPhone.

Not a library as much as a custom search engine and parsing support for most popular recipe sites.

It's like pocket for recipes (reformatting them to be awesome) + a calendar + a grocery list app. All of these features also work together very well and sync by account.

What I mean is you can find recipes for pancakes on allrecipes, save it so it's formatted by ingredient, directions and nutrition, then add milk from the recipe to your grocery list when you see that you're low. I don't use the calendar function much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Ecoute is no longer free but $1.99. Please explain to me what makes it so special. I am curious. I have heard a ton of people saying "It's great!" but I don't recall seeing reasons.
:)

The song queue is pretty sweet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

Scanbot is the best scanner app I've used, and I scan a TON of poo poo.

The in-app OCR sounds great but what else does it do that Scanner Pro doesn't?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Weird, scanner pro has been perfectly reliable for me since iOS 8 and I use it a few times a week.

Xabi posted:

What's the best app for saving stuff for later viewing/reading? Pocket? Instapaper?

Professional reference materials that you need actual copies of across many devices and the cloud? Evernote.

Personal reading material you'd like to view once or twice and offline? Pocket or Instapaper or Readability. I use pocket but the three are generally interchangeable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

ScanBot is neat though Scanner Pro had one indispensable(?) feature, faxing. :shepface:

As someone who doesn't own a fax machine (along with the rest of the world), I found this feature great for those who suddenly need it. For example I had to send forms to my credit union just last week to get charges reversed from someone having a spending spree on a cloned card.

Holy poo poo, I never even saw the fax button until now. I've wasted so many bux sending faxes from the post office in the past year. Never again!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I got Workflow now I feel like a dumb idiot because I can't think of any workflows worth building.

I have pretty much the same problem with Automator, I should have known!!

It's a very nice app though.

I'm in exactly the same boat as well. I can barely find good uses for IFTTT in my life, let alone Automator.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Khelmar posted:

I'm hoping to get the slide notes on there as well as slide controls. I'll try a few more and see - I'm looking for ways to improve my lecture by moving away from the laptop while I'm giving it.

I just use a presentation remote and wander around. Staring at your phone isn't much better than staring at a laptop. Just practice using your slides as speaking cues.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

I used to really enjoy taking long exposures on my "real" camera. Is that possible with an app on an iPhone, or is it not possible with the hardware?

Or Camera+. The iPhone 5S "shutter" tops out at 1/2s exposure on that app, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nickutz posted:

I got the Automatic car link for Christmas today. Does anyone have any experience using it? It seems to want location services all the time, and I only grant location access to apps when I'm using them for battery savings, not out of privacy concern. Unfortunately my car is in the shop for an extended stay so I won't be able to try it out for at least a week.

I think you have some misconceptions about the way location services work. If you grant it while the app isn't on, it's not running your GPS all the time, just piggybacking off of the stuff the OS does in the background. Like with geofencing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Neurostorm posted:

I'm a grad student and I just got an iPad and I'm looking for apps for reading (and organizing and taking notes on) journal articles (almost always a pdf). A friend suggested goodreader but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions. Ideally I would like to be able annotate, as well as sort based on either year or author (if it can automatically generate that information that would be a plus as usually the default file names from the various websites are rather useless). Anyone have any ideas?

You're going to have to rename poo poo yourself in all the apps.

Let's see:

Goodreader for PDFs,
Dropbox for PDF syncing,
Notability for slideshow notes,
Penultimate for handwriting,
Evernote for typed notes (all things sync to Evernote),
Evernote for research clipping and poo poo,
Google drive for word doc syncing and collaboration/cloud services,
Scanner pro for scanning (sync to Evernote),
Mailbox for email triage,
Fantastical for scheduling
Marvin for epubs, kindle for mobis and textbooks.

The best solution I've found is to use Evernote as an annotated bibliography with a note per project but do your reading in GR. Just dump the PDFs into a note and when you search everything because you forgot where you used a source, you can do that and the article will pop up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

soggybagel posted:

My apologies as I skimmed through the pages trying to see if this question was asked but on my iphone 5s with the latest iOS installed the App store has continually shown the little red bubble saying I need to update apps except the apps are up to date. When I open the app store app it just shows "OPEN" next to the apps listed as they have all been updated. I've tried syncing through itunes, I've reinstalled. It just sits there mocking me with its weird red bubble text. Anyone else have this issue?

Try turning on automatic updates and waiting, or just remove App Store from your notification settings and keep it from creating badges, since it can't be good when given the privilege!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dizzywhip posted:

What's a good app with basic Photoshop-like features for iPhone? Pixelmator looks good but it's just for iPad. Right now I just need something that lets me blur out portions of a picture, but I'd rather get a general-purpose image editor that can do that than a one-trick app.

Use Aviary. It has blurring as well as basically all the adjustments.

It doesn't have layers or stacks or masking though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to get fantastical to let your invitees change an event you invite them to?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slowhanded posted:

Anybody have a preference for camera apps? I'm using manual and hoping there's an app out there where I can reposition the focus assist zoom. In fact I'm not sure at all why it's center only - for an developed by photographers it seems like an oversight.

Camera+ is pretty much the gold standard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

slogsdon posted:

Is there an app that will let me transfer long audio files to my iPhone and play them back? Longer than what iTunes match will play.

Like, 2 hour EDM mixes?

Transfer using Goodreader or VLC or google drive or Dropbox or plug your iPhone in.

So yeah, there are a few apps for this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

I want to connect to synIRC and idle there, without disconnecting or changing from active to idle continously as I multitask or lock my phone. Any app that lets me do this?

Colloquy has background support but I think it's limited by the OS and will drop you eventually. I haven't used it in years.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

???

I use Passbook all the goddamn time.

It took a while to see adoption I guess, but at this point, it's super useful. I use it for movie tickets, to pay at starbucks, for concerts all over, whenever I fly, and for a handful of my more frequently used store loyalty cards.

Yeah I use it a few times a week. Boarding passes are handled PERFECTLY, as well. The whole thing is very "the future is now".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LittleFuryThings posted:

So is there no way attach a file to an e-mail on iOS without a jailbroken app or am I just dumb?

Yes.

Use Mailbox for Dropbox links or Goodreader for raw files. I emailed a .mobi to my kindle yesterday with Goodreader (which doesn't read mobis), all done through the iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Speaking of which. I was given a link to a cbz hosted on Dropbox. Is there any way from a pad to easily get it into chunky? I opened it in the embedded bowser of chunky and said download. Nothing visible happened. I linked chunky to my Dropbox but pasting the url to Dropbox was a find that failed. I went to add it to my Dropbox and was taken to the browser sign in for auth. Despite having just tasked switching from the iOS version. At that point I gave up trying to do it via iOS.

Clicking on it didn't give you open in... Chunky?